5does
The_Lord_of_Zeal
TheFirmament1
Royta/Raeng
Nadster
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

101Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:59 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Got Anna Karenina. Reading the 2nd Ophan X book.

102Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Noh means no Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Started Kabuki: Circle of Blood. Seeing how much the artist will evolve in the further production it would be cruel to call the first stories blunt in style. Any person has to start at some point. I find the self-taught means of it remarkable. From the start a strong center is forming. It's set in near-future Japan, yet that doesn't make it scifi. It depicts the past with WWII politics and it's not about history lessons. It shows female assassins in underwear and it's not about ass an' titties. It seems to be about what one perceives and not perceives. All in panels. I'm intrigued.

103Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Artwork of that one looks right up my alley. Going to hunt down a copy, thanks for the suggestion!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

104Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty In dreams Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:10 am

Circle of Blood makes up the larger part of the first Dark Horse trade. The smaller, Dreams, is done differently.
If you still care for paper, that is.

105Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I can't imagine reading comics digitally. So which one should I start with?

106Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty feel good hit of the summer Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 pm

Well, I started with the first Omnibus. It's the beginning for the artist, so for me it's the right entry. Though I pick up that a lot of themes are revisited, so that perhaps Kabuki is a thing that is accessible from more angles then start and finish. Maybe to go a way by which art appeals most?

Circle of Blood brings obviously manga and FM's Sin City to mind. But I'm reminded of European magazine comics as well. It's nifty. I had some scenes in where the dangerous ladies take out some hits, and it's not shown in action panels, yet in a descriptive mode characteristic to the hit and the assassin I found impressive. Siamese I love you

107Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:04 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

FINALLY finished Pandora Hearts after starting in May, and then putting off the final stretch for nearly 3 weeks. Link to review.

Now I can finally get started on other series, like Blade of the Immortal, Kingdom, The Invisibles and Attack on Titan, which my real-life friends have been hyping to no end. As well as continuing Injustice, and Lazarus.

108Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Started reading Fairy Tail. Some of the characters from the game really interested me and I wanted to know their back stories and how their powers worked.

Pretty good in terms of fight scenes so far. I like clever use of abilities and that there hasn't really been any stupid power ups to win fights for no reason.

I suspect that might change by the length of it.

109Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:00 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>Fairy Tail
Oh god. I read the entire thing a couple of years back, and I ended up hating it. And yes, it just gets worse and worse over time. I won't go too in-depth into it, because dunking on Fairy Tail is a dead horse, but I think you're either gonna drop it, or you won't come away from it satisfied. For good fights, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Vinland are my recommendations, although the latter has become much less action-oriented over time.

I've personally been reading some Attack on Titan lately. Only on volume 5. Not bad so far. The art is kind of not great, but considering it's been running for over 10 years, it's a given that it'll get better in that regard.

110Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 am

Dan.A

Dan.A
D-Rank

Oh cool a books thread. I read way too much - blame academia and my previous career.

I'm currently reading Erickson's Malazan series. It's among the finest fantasy series ever written, but it can be dense. I intend to read "Dune" next.

Earlier in the year, I read McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" which might well be the finest novel I've ever read.

111Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:47 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>And yes, it just gets worse and worse over time.
If you mean the story, that doesn't matter to me. If you mean the fights get worse, as in, power up wars like say DBZ, where the only strategy is power up more than the other guy, then yeah I'll probably get bored.

Fights may get worse in the way I've described, but there will still be the good ones. I don't take it as a whole I guess. I'm only reading it because the character designs and powers in the game look cool and I want to learn more about them.

Highlights so far would be when Natsu fought that barrier guy on Galuna Island and used his flame as a rocket booster to get through and physically attack, since the barrier only really nullified magic. That was great.

General use of fire to boost around. Firing it from his mouth to generate quick bursts of movement in midair and dodge attacks.

>For good fights, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
One of my favs. I think we discussed it before. I was reading the latest one, JoJolion, a few years ago but caught up, left it for awhile, then forgot where I was up to. Is that one finished yet, Might just wait if not. I loved Stone Ocean. That had so many weird fights I'll never forget.

I think we discussed Berserk as well where I had the same issue. I might leave than one for now because it seems like it'll never end.

>Attack on Titan
That was another I caught up with and abandoned. It is finished yet? I might go back to it.

112Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:01 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>Fairy Tail fights
To be honest, I don't remember all that much about the fights themselves. But yeah, as you guessed, I hated the story, characters, and painfully unfunny humour.

>JoJolion
That one's not done yet. 100 monthly chapters in. Pretty sure that it's getting close to endgame.

>Stone Ocean
Hell yes, Stone Ocean is one of the best parts.

>Attack on Titan
Almost finished. I hear that it's ending within a few months.

Thinking about series that just have really strong fights above all... Some of the earlier fights in Naruto actually come to mind. One that really stuck with me was Shikamaru vs Temari in Chunin Exams. Nothing to write home about story/character-wise, but Naruto did have some really neat fights. Keyword being 'did'.

113Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty the last of dust Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Dan.A wrote: I read way too much

A combination of words I haven't seen in this composition before. Any symptoms? Ennui? The last word on everything?

Started and finished The Institute by SK. Easy read, and I could take something away for me, which before I only did with Pet Sematary.
Reread TDKR. For all the moving parts it's still amazingly taut. The abscence of Todd as a child soldier was more prominent for me this time around. Following an oral history Miller did it first for his dramatic purposes and then the editorial thought it would be a terrific idea to cast a telephone-vote. And my lard did the voters do theirs. You must die ! I alone am best !

Ready for Kabuki: Skin Deep. I quiver with exitement, because it starts with my faves, Siamese...
A later chapter is called That was Zen, This is Tao! I love you

Kabuki: The Alchemy.
A work that is a fountain of inspiration for anyone who acts creatively. Not just because it is a "stand-out masterpiece in the sequentional art". It is a wake-up call without an imperative. I say everyone who reads it and holds enough creativity inside will find through it the means to release it. Impecable.

115Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty dear abby Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:30 pm

To whom it may concern: Don't you read anymore? Or is it just that you are too miffed to post about it? Reading only headlines? Not enough strenght for your share of escapism? Rather keeping busy? I would like to know. Thank you.

116Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty say no to cheating Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 am

Peeked into the first chapter of Boruto online. Just to see if it's something to be tickeld about. And there's this scene where the kids sit together and try to connect their handhelds to co-op play. The main guy has cheated maxed-out stats on whatever they're playing. And the other two get up, since they don't want to play with a cheater. So outta here. I don't know if it's supposed to be satire, but I like it nonetheless.

Reading one of Hill House Comics trade at the moment. Basketful of Heads. It's fun. Set in 1983, it plays with some stereotypes in horror fiction like the Final Girl and that ever ending summer of youth.

On a book it's The Cipher by Kathe Koja. A new print since the original is from 30 years ago. It's more experimental in prose and reminds me of Chuck Palahniuk with it's fringe characters to fumble in some way with society. Took me to page 50 to get some buzz out of it, though. By that count it's about high time to get seriously nasty.

117Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:33 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Been going through the Jack Reacher books. Barrels of fun.

118Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty a good book should get you high Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:11 am

By now I consider reading for fun as a subversive act.

Adjustment Day . Nearly done. Scary. Funny. To dive through these extremist ideologies and thinking "Well, that sure is silly and strange. Can't be certain the writer made that up. It was already there, wasn't it?" And then they get the frame to play them out.
Aphorism hold a terrible inert simplification. Here is a fictional (I'm sure):

Some wrote:Be horrible, exist as a horrible threat, and at the moment of your greatest power stay your hand.
By hurting people and then not hurting them you acquire their love.

Scary. And funny.

Cover by some "Bendis Mack". Comic creator gets used as a spy. Without the clichè. Art outstanding. Dialogue was ok.
But those free table conversations. She said, and I'm like. Oof. Can I be excluded from the table? Please?

119Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Finally got Children Of Dune.

120Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty let's dump some Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:18 pm

Recently finished reading:

Choke Gasp: The Best of 75 Years of EC Comics. ("It's not the meat...it's the humanity!")

Kabuki: Masks of the Noh. Trade. Couldn't/Wouldn't wait for the Vol 4 Omnibus.

Fight Club 3: The Masterpiece Gambit.

Choke and Snuff by C. Palahniuk.

The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin.

The remainder of the DC Hill House line, and additionally Heart-shaped Box by that very Joe Hill.

Swamp Thing: The Dead Don't Sleep by Len Wein and Kelley Jones.

Currently reading:

Clive Barker's Next Testament Omnibus. The graphic novel, not the prose novel.

Rant by C. Palahniuk.

And many Rue Morgue magazines.

Royta/Raeng wrote: Gotham after Midnight being his best imo, especially in the art-department.

Got that now, lining it up next. Snatched a hardback for the right price from Eaglemoss Collection. As far as I can tell it's missing the very covers from the single issues. For a more cohesive reading experience? A bit miffed about that, sure. Covers are comic art too, man!

121Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Reading God Emperor of Dune.

122Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Heretics of Dune.

123Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 pm

Dan.A

Dan.A
D-Rank

>Zenyn

I was a former literature teacher. It was sort of ingrained into me to read anything and everything, even if it was bad (a tendency that has led to unfortunate discoveries of terrible essays/fiction), hence the statement.

>What I'm reading now

Started what is considered the greatest fantasy genre series, Malazan, and I'm four books in. Dense and ambitious really. It's lived up to its hype, if I'm being honest. Subversions of character tropes, incredible pacing (mostly), unreal setpieces (mind you, it's not Cormac McCarthy level descriptions, but no one is) and battles, etc.

124Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

ALmost finished reading "The Burried Dagger". It's book 54 of the novel series "Horus Heresy", and also the final one. Started reading the book series nearly 9 years ago and finally am close to the end. Pretty interesting to have a bookseries be this long. Some absolute stinkers in there, but also some great sci-fi stories.

125Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

Firm: >AoT
You finish yet?

126Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>Attack on Titan
Indeed I have. If you're wondering my thoughts on the ending, I was mostly fine with what happened? It's more what DIDN'T happen that doesn't make me happy.

127Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:59 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>mostly fine
Did you want to talk through spoiler tags, then?

>what didn't
Same question, really. My views are more extreme, you will find.

128Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:28 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Saw Dune has a new graphic novel.

129Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:20 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

> spoiler tags

Suits me just fine.

Attack on Titan Manga:

I think I'm less fine with what happened than I originally thought. But maybe I can't get TOO angry with this ending, seeing as how he was foreshadowing it as far back as chapter 5. All part of the plan, really.

Books and Comics - Page 3 Tiro4icltal61

130Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

The Fuckery Begins:

>less fine
Do tell.

>can't get too angry
I can. Especially as those suspected of interference gloated.

>all part of the plan
Not his plan. Editors are the captain. He got taken for a ride. Influences for him were things like Dune, Eternal Champion, Norse Myth, etc. The Mist was specifically the tone he was going for with the ending, but right around a dozen chapters befor the end he notes he was now going for Guardians of the Galaxy (massive shift). Frankly, the place I want to really start discussion with (before gathering up a huge fucking list of problems) is character oriented. Those that died soon enough usually escaped disgrace, so that's nice. Few that lived came out alright. Going down the list would suit me.

131Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Tue May 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I bought that Dune graphic novel for my brother's birthday. He loves the first book. It only goes up to the big betrayal and escape.

132Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty want moore? Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 am

Saga of the Swamp Thing authored by Alan Moore. Moore, ever The Prophet of the comic book entity sharpened up on his first ongoing US title. Developing already his -isms it's at the very least an interesting title, albeit the strong inclination to pathos. Some dark roots ahead I'm sure. I am going to snatch up the remaining Vertigo books, the Black Label tome being a block to heavy for this scawny scarecrow.

Horns by Joe Hill. Twisted Evil Yeah, I don't care about the movie.

133Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu May 20, 2021 2:20 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

The creator of Berserk has passed away. Berserk is the only manga I ever bothered to actually read. Sad news.

134Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu May 20, 2021 3:22 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Yep. Woke up at 11:30 PM last night to see a message from a friend on Discord. Checked it, and next thing I know, I'm staying up until 4:30 AM.

Supposedly, he died on May 6, but they only announced it now. Probably to give family and friends some private time to mourn, which I totally get. Condolences to them.

Fuck, man. Berserk was one of my favourites. Sure, maybe he had some notes, plus assistants he trained, but... Best-case scenario, I think is a novel written by a really good writer who understands the source material well using any notes left behind. Outside from that, I think it's over. His writing style, and art are irreplaceable.

135Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu May 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Not looking good.

136Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Thu May 20, 2021 10:33 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>Berserk is the only manga I ever bothered to actually read.

Same. I only have the first 6 or so issues. Need to buy and read the rest. It is so good.

137Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri May 21, 2021 11:47 am

AeternalSolitude

AeternalSolitude
C-Rank

I don't even know what to say...

138Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Fri May 21, 2021 3:54 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Infinity: >Miura fucking died
The joke was only half that.  It was entirely expected that his current pace was never going to pan out.  He would play Idolmaster and pass away from something well before we got an ending.  He was not the man he was in his youth.  He didn't have a drive to tell this story.  His hands were no longer able to do his art.  Long time fans had come to terms with this.

Phoney stay away:

Firm: >probably for privacy
Fashionably late, as ever.  One last hiatus.

NOTE: More content for AoT came out. Just keeps getting worse. Word is still more could come out, but as far as manga this should be it.

Birdy: >not looking good
There is basically no chance he's got some sort of script to go off of (or to even offer up to fans).  No other can be trusted with the material.  Just seems dead in the water.

Hed: >same
If you're buying the stuff, I can see why.

Solitude: >what to say
Until next time.

139Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat May 22, 2021 1:23 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Finished The Little Demon earlier this week.

Reading No Country For Old Men now.

140Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat May 22, 2021 4:21 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>If you're buying the stuff, I can see why.

Definitely expensive hobby. I can't do digital though, doesn't look right.

141Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat May 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> expensive hobby
Please. Try Warhammer (don't).

But yeah it can easily rake you up a couple of thousand. I mostly read Batman and...well yeah.. This is like 10~ years of collecting and it hurts. Fun to re-read though. Some of them are nearly dying in terms of quality since I read them so much.

Books and Comics - Page 3 Scherm10

142Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sat May 22, 2021 10:14 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Damn that's impressive. I have trimmed the fat on all of my physical media down to stuff I can't get digitally, with some exceptions for rarity and personal high value.
If I am ever super rich though I will have a vault.

143Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Sun May 23, 2021 7:37 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>quality
Close enough for me.

>fading
Ain't got to fret over that.

144Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty like...WOW! Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:11 pm

Pearl Vol. 1 by Jinxworld. Funky colours keep it from getting too real for a funny book and being surreal. It strikes a fine equilibrium. As one character puts it: "Let's go get high, baby!"

Jinx by, uh, Jinxworld. Duh, I guess. Complete Edition. This is...uh...You know, like, well...when you hear from other, uh, people...how they hate, and, I mean, like, hate, a certain writer for his, or her, I guess, abuse of, ah, what would you call it...uh, "realistic" approach to written...let's call it, like, dialogue. Listen, no no no, listen to me...it's, like, like this: people stammer all, ALL the time, like, around, and and and it's sooo super-annoying... I-I-I-I can't CAN'T tolerate it. Much. Not all that much. It just, it just really kills my stiffy...KILLING it...I mean, no really, I mean this, no, I'm not even kidding you...why would I do this...no really. This is...I mean...really...to each, like, his or her, I guess, own...but this...this is...it's too much, I already...listen...no LISTEN...I-I-I already, I mean really, not kidding here, gave it up in frustration...so frustrating...I had to, just, cut it down to a few pages...before I would break...really...yes...it's that much fun...no it's worse. I just...I just can't tell you...more. Much more. It's...agony...just...just do me a favour, will ya? Don't, like, don't do it, man. Just, don't. Words cannot...no...I tell you...it's too much. Really. Just be warned...OK?

145Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:40 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

FOTNS is getting a reprint, finally, so bought the first volume, should arrive today. Very, very excited since I always wanted to give the series a go, but could never find anything in print (in English).

146Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

"Finished" House of Leaves. Experimental, inscrutable, and brilliant.

Makes you feel if only you knew a little more, picked up on a single thing you missed, looked at a certain passage in a new way, then you would understand. But it never quite comes, at least not completely.

147Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:42 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Reading up on that, it sounds really interesting. Might give it a go.

Finished Fist of the Northstar VOL1 now that it finally's getting a re-release in English. Really enjoyable!

148Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:27 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>FotNS
Good stuff up until...Well, that's for you to see. Enjoy it while you can.

149Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty welcome to the crazy time Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:45 pm

I would guess that's the point where Kenshiro's hairdo gets changed?
That original first 'do? Now THAT'S a tough guy!

Say, is the new release flipped? I found out that Lone Wolf and Cub Omnibus from Dark Horse is flipped! Couldn't believe it. Really, the nerve!

150Books and Comics - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Comics Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Re-release is just in regular manga format, nothing too special. It is in hardcover though which is neat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum