Working on the new site, main url might break from time to time for few days. Use http://stinger.actieforum.com/

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books and Comics

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Books and Comics Empty Books and Comics on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Zenyn

Zenyn
D-Rank
So this must mean you are literate. cheers

Do you read for fun? I mean for pleasure. Not for work or school or academia or out of peer pressure.

I certainly do. And though I'm tipped off that it is the year of our lord Blade Runner 2019 I prefer dead wood for my reading experience. Paper all the way. I hardly see anyone carrying books around outside a book store. A mother box, sure. Stroking and fondling. I rove you, mother box! Say you rove me back!

I realize that I'm deep into Stephen king King this year. Which is funny, since I remember that back in the dark ages (teens) I did abhor it on a few tries. By now I've read 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Pet Sematary, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, and The Outsider. Some more lined up.

And comics too. Trades in spades. Got in touch with Kirby's New Gods. After Bug! The Adventures of Forager it's now the new Mister Miracle. Granny Goodness, are they working the 9-panel grid. Started it and have no idea how it could conclude. Except, you know, IT WAS ALL A DREAM!!

2Books and Comics Empty Re: Books and Comics on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I used to read a lot of classics i.e. 20.000 Leagues under the Sea, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and stuff by H.G. Wells. But recently I mostly switched my reading to The Horus Heresy Series, a series of 54 books chronicalling the Horus Heresy event of the Warhammer 40.000 universe. Very nice, some good writing and just a huge event to read of a fictional universe I greatly enjoy.

Comics, well. Yeah. Got an absolutely massive collection. Favourite writer is Grant Morrison by a metric mile, followed by classic Frank Miller (not a fan of his work after Sin City 1). Though I love what it did with the medium, I don't hold New Gods that high. Great artwork and concepts, but the story never hooked me.

What's your favourite comic? Hope you don't mind I'll change the topic to "Books and Comics" or something, because I think that would attract a bit more Razz

http://stinger.actieforum.com

3Books and Comics Empty Re: Books and Comics on Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
I like to read. I have read some classics. I only read a few comics. I also read record books! I have been thinking of getting new books myself. I do love reading TV Tropes too!

4Books and Comics Empty Re: Books and Comics on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:57 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Record books? As in Guiness book of Records? Stuff like that?

5Books and Comics Empty Re: Books and Comics on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
Yeah. There is also another record book series I read. It gives you a picture, a description, and stats. If I remember correctly, the most poisonous mushroom is called the Death Cap.

6Books and Comics Empty Re: Books and Comics on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:05 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
That's really cool! What's your favourite one?

7Books and Comics Empty If You Can Change This on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:43 am

Zenyn

Zenyn
D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:The Invisible Man

Got that on whim. Though have yet to read it. Just kinda curious what it would be about. In terms of horror and origination. As a concept it is quite clear and absorbed in pop-culture.

@Royta/Raeng wrote: Favourite writer is Grant Morrison by a metric mile,

Hard to keep up with his output. This year I read Nameless, Annihilator, The Filth, and The Multiversity. My favorite is his D00M PATROL.

@Royta/Raeng wrote:followed by classic Frank Miller (not a fan of his work after Sin City 1).
Yeah. No one draws action like Miller. I'm not into stiff moral tales (what I think) Marvel normally provides, so his DD/Elektra work mark the exception for me. Colour me weird but I even like his crazy writing. DKSA and All-Star Batman are wild. Strangely enough Martha Washington left me underwhelmed. Maybe sf isn't his forte.

@Royta/Raeng wrote: I don't hold New Gods that high. Great artwork and concepts, but the story never hooked me.
That's Kirby for you. Thank the New Gods, for comics don't have to be about story all the time. Same as video games.
Did you check out the new Mister Miracle?

@Royta/Raeng wrote:What's your favourite comic?

That's easy. Everything by Alan Moore of course! Nah, I'm kidding. Just one? Um, if you can remember, I'm not keen on lists and ratings. I like a lot. But to not cheat me out of an answer I'll say Calvin and Hobbes. There you have it.  

@Royta/Raeng wrote:Hope you don't mind I'll change the topic to "Books and Comics" or something, because I think that would attract a bit more Razz

Suspect Okaaay. Just respect my artistical creative freedom when I define the next master topic Liquor and Wenches. Now THAT is important.

8Books and Comics Empty Re: Books and Comics on Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:That's really cool! What's your favourite one?

Well it is hard to say since I don't play favorites most of the time. I did enjoy reading the Gamer's Edition of 2013 and the 2014 edition of Guinness.

9Books and Comics Empty Book and Comics. Comic books? on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Zenyn

Zenyn
D-Rank
Books about comics, not the usual Who's Who index, that I've read are 2. Morrison's Supergods, which gives a way in with the day and night of costumed heroes and also functions as an autobiography of sorts, since the author doesn't exclude himself from the history. A double history. The other is Eisner/Miller and prints a dialog of the two creators who left their imprint in the field as writer-artists. Fairly interesting as well as informing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum