Working on the new site, main url might break from time to time for few days. Use http://stinger.actieforum.com/

You are not connected. Please login or register

Demento/Haunting Ground

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 am

Birdman

Decided to finally get the PS2 port on PS3, only available from the Japanese store.

Looking forward to seeing if there are any differences. I imagine the load times will be faster though they were pretty fast in the PS2 version.

If anyone wants go know anything about the game in general, ask away. What I can tell you right now is you should play and if you don't you're a bad person.

2Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
There's a PS3 version? Did it ever get an English translation? Though honestly does that even matter to you, you know the game inside out anyway.

That's always a test for me, playing the game in Japanese. Means I don't really need the menu's anymore.

http://stinger.actieforum.com

3Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 am

Birdman

There's no English PS3 version sadly. The voice acting in the Japanese version is in English but none of the text so you'd have a small issue figuring out items and Hewie's commands as well as missing out on info in files.

I've played the PS2 English and Japanese versions so much that yeah, I don't need to read anything anymore. Once I'd done everything I spent untold hours speedrunning.

The PAL PS2 version should be reasonably priced. The US version, for some reason, goes for hundreds. No idea why.

4Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 am

Birdman

Played about an hour of the PS3 version. There's a bit of slowdown and framerate issues. The camera is a combination of fixed and following in certain areas. The following one causes slowdown sometimes. Some cutscenes (uses ingame engine) stutter slightly when the camera is sweeping or moving at all really.

You'd expect an old game to run better on better hardware. Fatal Frame had faster loading on doors but had a lot of little graphical issues.

I haven't played the original HG for a while do I might load it up this weekend and do a proper comparison.

5Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Let me know, it could be really shoddy coding behind the scenes that's causing problems. It's unique though, I cannot even find footage of the PS3 version.

6Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

Birdman

There always seems to be something wrong with these old ports. RE4 had issues too.

7Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I really wish we'd just get a good RE4 port for once. It's sad that graphically speaking the Gamecube version is still the most atmospheric. Later versions lost a lot of its grain iirc and some other graphical tricks, making it too clean. Not to mention some horrible ports.

8Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Birdman

I'm wondering if those framerate issues I mentioned in this version of HG have anything to do with the fact that I'm playing it on an HDTV.

It looks way worse which is normal due to not being designed for it. But I remember playing the PS2 version on this TV and aside from it looking bad it played fine. I've got an SDTV here so I'll hook it up later and see.

9Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Birdman

I'm playing through making notes before setting up the PS2 version. I might try running the PS3 through the AV cables to see how this looks on an SDTV.

Found some more oddities.

>Light glitch.
There is a graphical glitch that occurs near lit torches or lights. Nearby and seeming to be at the same height, appear these little, yellow, flickering squares. Only appear on certain angles near such lights. Some vanish instantly while some remain on screen.

>Luminescent problems.
Luminescenct are these floating, blue orbs of light that chase you and explode in impact, creating noise and causing a small degree of panic.

In one part of Daniella's area, you need to lure one through a few rooms for a puzzle. But this one is getting stuck on corners or not coming through doorways unless you stay really close. Need to verify on PS2 but I dont remember them bring this annoying. They actually fizzled out a few times which never happens to me.

Might be my imagination but they seem to be moving faster too.

Still noticing framerate hiccups here and there. Saw a small amount of slowdown in Daniella's fight.

10Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:31 am

Birdman

Finished it.

The last cutscene for the endings had this fast zoom in that looked a little choppy, also the top of the water tower where the camera tracks you when running around which gives this rotational effect.

I'll check the PS2 version's cut-scene viewer. Dont feel like getting up to the water tower myself buy I could probably watch a playthrough instead.

The Lorenzo glitch still works in the PSN version. This is a huge skip in the last part of the game. I saw it work in a recent speedrun of the PSN version.

11Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:59 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Any chance of some gameplay footage somewhere? Really would like to see the game in action.

12Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 am

Birdman

Footage is extremely common. Theres an endless amount if you just want to see gameplay.

Only issue is you have awful gameplay that's painful to watch or speedrunning that will seem rushed and miss out a lot of stuff. I guess if all you want is a quick look it doesnt matter.

13Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:58 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
No I mean of the PS3 version, because I looked high and low and found zero.

14Demento/Haunting Ground Empty Re: Demento/Haunting Ground on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:37 am

Birdman

I'll find you some when I get home.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum