You are not connected. Please login or register

Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Getting this for the Switch myself! Cannot wait! alien

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

This looks like fun. Might grab it for PS4.

I love that old school cover art. So much better than the CGI screen grab shit they print now.

3Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:06 am

Shane

Shane
C-Rank
Veteran

This is tight. Never really played many of these so I'll have to pick this up. Especially for $20? That's a great deal. Hopefully this re release is a sign of more to come.

4Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Was about time before they did this. I’d be more interested if I hadn’t already played these again recently with my dad. Most of these didn’t have proper home ports(beyond SNES downgrades) so its great to own them *legally* now. I’ll give a summary for the bundled games:

Final Fight: The most influential brawler, given it set the standard for the formula many would adopt. It’s a classic but I prefer many others that play similar enough over it(Violent Storm is Konami’s superior tribute), which would be most of them(especially Capcom entries).
One notable standard it set was the ‘Deathblow’ move, In other words this is a desperation/escape move that lets the player avoid damage by becoming momentarily invincible, dealing damage and knocking surrounding enemies down, usually at the cost of some life either upon use or upon contact with a foe(in this case, one can avoid contact to use as a way to avoid damage with no penalty).

Warriors of Fate: Great stuff, varied characters(ones an old man with a ranged bow, ones a barehanded grappler and others have various melee weapons) with fairly sizeable and robust move sets, you can also ride horses that change your move set.
The prequel to this, Dynasty Wars, is played solely on horseback with zoomed out sprites in large enemy waves with a similar art style.  

Battle Circuit: The last arcade brawler by Capcom(if I’m not mistaken).
Has some neat features like being able to buy moves in between levels at a shop, bought with tokens dropped by enemies. Has a pretty wacky art style with very odd player characters(each is named after a color, ones a pink ostrich, a yellow cat lady and the grappler is a green sentient plant with an eye in its mid section) and fairly expansive move sets(when all moves are bought) with juggles(not a standard feature of the time). Each character can also cast a temporary buff that effects all players(damage, speed, defence etc).

Knights of the Round: Medieval sword based combat, features blocking mechanic that grants temporary Iframes after successful block. You level up and change appearance automatically, can ride horses which changes your move set, Items dropped can be hit to be split into 4 pieces that award more points/life. Also features a combo multiplier(up to X4) for killing the same enemy type consecutively for faster level ups(combo multiplier is shared in coop so coordination required).

Armored Warriors: It’s gimmick is being able to swap your Arm, Leg and Sub weapons for ones dropped from enemies, each with different move sets/functions.
*So for the Arm you can get Power Knuckle(default), Laser Blade, Death Drill, Force Claw(grappling arm), Chain Spark(lightning shooting arm) and Shield(let’s you shoot and block).
*Legs effect your movement, jump/jump attack, down attack and dash attack: default legs(depends on mech), Power Bug(quad spider legs), Treads(tank treads) and Turbo Jet(hover legs).
*Sub weapons are Vulcan(default machine gun), missiles, bomb, guided missiles, flamethrower, napalm and laser cannon.
*If played coop, when you find a radio, at set points can combine into a big mech with each player controlling a limb/weapon.
So there’s a lot of variety but the screen can get quite hectic and you might lose track of yourself at times.
*Notably, the sequel is a fighting game, Cyberbots:Full Metal Madness, which features all of the previous mechs.

Captain Commando: That guy from Capcom VS series original game(and sorta has been mascot, hence his name being Cap(tain) Com(mando). It’s solid stuff but nothing unique to note aside from the wacky artstyle(a player character is a baby piloting a mech which can pilot other mechs, and an alien ninja mummy in 90s hiphop attire, as well as just an actual ninja...).

King of the Dragons: Medievil themed, you level up and can acquire better stats and weapons. You have a jump, attack, ‘deathblow, and a block for classses that can...that’s the movelist for this one. It makes up for it with solid enemy/bosses and enjoyable general gameplay.

There’s others they’ve not included for licence reasons I assume, we likely won’t be seeing(if this sells they’ll surely do another): Alien Vs Predator(definitely not), The Punisher(maybe marvel will say ok), Cadillacs and Dinosaurs(based on a comic, might be possible) and Dynasty Wars(based on the same manga it’s sequel is, so this is entirely possible). They’ve also already released both Dungeons & Dragons games years ago as well as Final Fight on various platforms.

5Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Great summery Gabe! Lots of good information I didn't know, like Captain Commando's name origins! Battle Circuit sounds especially interesting.

All this talk reminds me of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Anyone here ever play that game?

6Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Never got the chance, think it was taken off online stores.

Last edited by Gabriel Phelan Lucas on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:11 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Shame! I heard it was removed too, still my favorite beat em up, very fun game (it was also my first in the genre haha).

8Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:53 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Anyone get this?

9Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:43 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm going to buy it for my trip to Taiwan, but waiting until the last second in-case a sale hits. Game looks great, heard they even added a scan-lines option to simulate the arcade feeling even more.

10Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Bought the game for the Switch for my upcoming holiday tomorrow. Will let you guys know next week what it's like :)

11Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Move lists for each game:

Final Fight

The King of Dragons

Captain Commando

Knights of The Round

Armored Warriors

Warriors of Fate

Battle Circuit

From what I’ve seen, the bundle has move lists for each game, but not all of the moves are listed(haven’t properly checked that last bit, doesn’t really matter).

12Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Empty Re: Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:58 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Thanks for that post Gabriel! That said the movelist of Knights of the Round seems off, blocking works very differently in the version here I feel (it is press attack and during that phase press back). I haven't found the other options mentioned to work, any insight?

My favorites so far are King of Dragons and Knights of the Round. Battle Circuit is really fun and whacky too, as well as Armored Warriors.

That said most games do feel a bit...and I cannot believe I say this: unfair.

Some fights feel like they were designed to eat your quarters, with absolutely insanely long levels without health refills, rng factoring into level ups at times (Knights of the Round's staff item), huge fights, agressive foes etc. There are some fights where I legit cannot imagine perfecting them without some serious save-states or absolute memorization and cheezing. For instance most 1cc's I see of Knights of the Round are filled with RNG abuse to get as many life ups as possible, with the player losing over 10 lives throughout the run (might even be 20..).

King of Dragons feels a lot better, also like how the game rewards a No Upgrade Run via its XP system. All in all very happy with my purchase.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum