You are not connected. Please login or register

Dragonball Fighter Z

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Dragonball Fighter Z Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Anyone else got this?

I just started practicing seriously. Unsure of who will be in my final team, but it will definitely have Piccolo. He has always been my favorite character in the series and I main him in any DB game he's in.

I really like Beerus and Hit, but I'm not sure if I'll end up with Hit because I like projectiles. Just testing my favorites at the moment.

Here are some high level matches.

2Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I've been following the game closely since I'm a big fan of the show and its succesors GT (less) and Super (like it). That said I'm slowly learning that fighting games just aren't my thing anymore. The modern ones focus way too much on touch-of-death combos and 50/50 guess-setups and way less on the fundamentals of spacing, poking, lockdowns and other types of setups. I'll always love games like Street Fighter 2 and 3, Dead or Alive 2 and SoulCalibur 2, but I feel the genre went a bit too overboard with its massive combos afterwards.

That said, the game looks beautiful in motion and I'm still considering to get it. My team would probably be Adult Gohan, Piccolo and probably Hit or Tien.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

The level of detail in this game is beyond anything.

All of their moves down to the basic punches and kicks you'll see at some point in the anime, and when you're fighting certain characters, they'll actually address each other differently like when doing a super.

4Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:08 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Been seeing a lot of videos already where players just deal 80-100% damage in one single combo or punish, this is exactly the type of style in fighting games I tend to want to avoid haha. I did watch a few more videos and tournament footage though and have to say it still looks gorgeous in action.

5Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I don't think I've played a fighter in a long time where this wasn't the case though. Last one was probably Virtua Fighter 5.

Even though you do get caught in nasty combos, there's so much leading up to those. Still I can agree that combos these days are a bit overboard in terms of damage. Even when they devs try to put in some kind of preventative measure, players will still find a way around it.

6Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Oh for sure, it's been a large issue for decades now almost. Even Virtua Fighter has had issues with it, especially with its wall-combos (same with Tekken). Games like SF2, DOA2 and SCII were generally the best in this regard. Attacks did massive damage (a few punches are enough) but there aren't many combos, more setups and mindgames and using space-controle (spacing). I still consider DOA2 one of the best fighters around, such a beast of a game. Short combos, heavy emphasis on mindgames thanks to the counter-mechanic, high damage on single strikes and such a masterful selection of sound-effects. Hitting someone sounds like a truck ramming into their skull.

7Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I used to play DOA2 and SC2 all the time. Both had limited juggling and ways to get out of stuff. Still had the usuall OP characters but it wasn't nearly as bad as taking one launch and never touching the ground until you were near, if not dead.

Still, I love games with all the crazy combos. All the setups, mind games, spacing and every other fighting game tech you can think of still apply.

There are some things that annoy me in DBFZ though.

Last edited by Birdman on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

8Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:13 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

One issue I'm facing now is that everything is rushdown.

A lot of characters have some really unique stuff but the superdash or vanish seem to bypass a lot of it. You can't poke or zone well which is how I usually play fighting games.

9Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Games with Crazy Combos are fine, unless you are the ones taking them generally. There is tournament footage of a player checking his phone during a match because he was being combo'd by a setup that took around 25 seconds to finish. I feel they are more at home in action games if you really want them. I believe this was during Marvel vs Capcom 3. It was also the reason a lot of people hated playing against Seth in Street Fighter 4, his combos took forever it felt like.

The emphasis on Rushdown is one I saw coming a mile away sadly. You could see it in all the trailers and pre-release footage, it is all about the rush with even a dedicated button to it. I know there are hard counters to it from what I've seen but the game feels very much focused on spectacle instead of a nuanced match, which I can understand with the current gaming-landscape.

I am happy though that despite all the Team Four Star ripping on him, Yamcha is probably one of the best in the game. Sweet sweet vengeance.

You can't poke or zone well which is how I usually play fighting games.

This is, sadly, also my playstyle. And it is being removed pretty heavily in favor of flash and rushdown as it is a lot more interesting to watch. USF4 had some level of footsies and zoning to it, but resulted in a lot of 'boring match lolz' comments on Youtube and we can't have that now can we!

10Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I still combo and stuff, but zoning and pestering from a distance is what I enjoy the most.

I used to use Dizzy way back when I played GGX2#R, Piccolo with his stretchy arms in DBZ Budokai 3/Infinite World, and Ivy and in SC2. I always gravitate more towards a character (if available) that has reach or the ability to put something on the screen to control space.

it is all about the rush with even a dedicated button to it.
You must be talking about super dash. It goes through basic ki blasts and homes in from every direction. On hit it launches into an air combo and on block it's totally safe.

You can counter it with crouching heavy which is a launcher. That discourages spamming of it which is what a lot of people were doing in the early days, but it still doesn't stop the rushdown at all.

I can play it. I can win at at doing all the same shit. Thing is I don't enjoy it.

Beerus has these purple orbs he can put on screen. He can move them with attacks or just leave them there, but since they count as regular ki blasts, they are nullified by super dash and beams, as well as vanishing if Beerus so much as blocks an attack. The only time they are really effective is when pressuring someone in a corner.

Who did you play in SC2? Are you interested in SC6?

11Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

In Soul Calibur 2 I was a bit of an everyman. I mostly played offline and against friends but I was "that guy" who would learn a character and then stomp all his friends so I mixed it up a lot. I mostly used Nightmare, Ivy, Kilik (really loved him), Sophitia, Mitsurugi, Raphael, Maxi (really liked him), Link and my absolute favorite was Hong Yunsung. I am really hyped for Soul Calibur 6 though some things like the anime-like design of that new character and the inclusion of super moves and 'breakable armor to show more anime titties' is a bit of a turn off for me.

In Dead or Alive 2 I was mostly a Gen Fu user but sometimes dabbled in Tina and Ein. In Dead or Alive 5 I mostly used Lisa since I loved her mixup game with the thousands of grabs while sometimes switching to Akira for more nuanced play.

In Smash Brothers Melee I mained Marth, dabbled in Roy and also used Samus. But generally when playing the game now I use Ganondorf and Bowser for fun.

In Smash Brothers Brawl I actually played at tournaments, even getting a european rank at the time as best European Ike player. I secondaried Samus and Bowser. Samus mostly because she was a challenge to use, Bowser was my counterpick for MetaKnight who I just couldn't deal with using Ike or Samus.

In Street Fighter 2 I mostly used either Ryu or Zangief.

12Dragonball Fighter Z Empty Re: Dragonball Fighter Z Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:34 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

I understand that they completely fucked the character type they made Beerus into (to help offset what a boring piece of shit he is as a fighter). All that orb stuff is mostly a huge fail. Better luck with the super uninspired (gloried fan character) Hit, but a bit too early to include all his shit (ToP gave him a little more to work with). Had to borrow from Janemba to get by (like Zammy). The real deal eventually gets in, but they job him right out of the gate (rather than letting him be OP then nerfing him into dust after a patch or so as seems to be the idea for DLC now). I've got a lot I could say, but ultimately I don't care about non-1v1 fighters all that much. Glad it isn't Tenkaichi trash, at least.

I'd rather have Budokai 4 (a real one) with character creation (even if just a starting point tier case using existing parts and moves). Perhaps a sequel would see the ability to name the moves (and maybe make some), more parts, properly leveling the character, etc. None of this dumb story retread crap (nor even stuff for self-inserters). To Hell with all of that. If you're going to bother, make it interesting what-ifs to play through if it has to be 'story' (rather than gameplay focused like having new modes, challenge modifiers, etc.). Fuck Online, too. The Hell would I want that crap for? Don't make that shit a focus (let alone balance around it). Keep upgraded/custom characters to a different pool (as an option) if people don't like that. Don't force their 'balance' on those who just want things to not all be total crap.

NOTE: Vegeta is undefeated against Goku. 2-0. GG is stronger than Kamehameha. Our Prince became the superior husband, father, hero, lover, etc. by series end (as compared to his vassal).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum