You are not connected. Please login or register

Guardian Heroes

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guardian Heroes Empty Guardian Heroes Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:35 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Anyone play this?

Got it on Xbox. Last time I played this is was on the Sega Saturn when I was a kid.
Didn't understand game mechanics so I just did whatever. Even so I have great childhood memories of this game and it's amazing to be able to play it again.

As an adult I'm able to see all the mechanics and they're really good.

Got my ass kicked when fighting the village golem and that jester looking freak. I died like 5 times in a row and couldn't even move. No idea what happened.

2Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:47 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

SBK seems to be fond of this game. Last I recall, he called the stat system 'glorious'. I don't know anything about the game other than how it looks. But it is also on my must play list, and it has a slightly higher priority than the rest since it's technically an ARPG of sorts. And the fact that it was mentioned by SBK in the context of great ARPGs, alongside KH2, LR, and some other games I can't quite recall at the moment.

Not sure if you're busy with NG2, but whenever possible, keep me updated on this. I will be reading all of it for sure.

3Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I've been talking to him about it.

He's the one who actually brought it to my attention. After I mentioned I bought a Series S for NGB and NG2, he said 'and Guardian Heroes on XBLA'.

I never knew it got remastered on X360 many years ago.

I've made topics for both NG2 and Guardian Heroes. Right now I just mess around in Guardian's training mode after getting crushed on stage 2.

4Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:36 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>never knew it got remastered
Neither did I, until a few years back. Can't remember if it was SBK or 5hadows that pointed it out.

>getting crushed on Stage 2
That early? Does the game have difficulty modes? If so, which one are you playing on? Sounds pretty tough if you're playing on the default (and encountered issues early). But from what I recall, this is also a beat 'em up, no? I've heard that's normal for this kind of thing.

5Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:53 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>difficulty modes
Yeah. I'm on normal.

I don't know if it was the difficulty or just not knowing all the mechanics.

I was set upon instantly by a giant robot, a boss guy and a group of soldiers. I got locked in place by what looked like hundreds of hits. Was dead before I knew what was even happening. Couldn't move at all.

6Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:41 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Played this on Xenia a bit, but I'm not liking it. The fact that there is a powerful AI companion already is a problem, but he can also steal your kills, and killstealing is the last thing I want to worry about in a single player action game. You can make him stand still but the game is balanced with him around, so if you don't use him you're going to get your ass kicked. Speaking of ass kicking, you can get basically infinite comboed with no way of recovering, which is always fun.

The visuals are cool but when you have lots of enemies the game becomes a visual clusterfuck and it becomes very hard to see where you are. Add to this oldschool beat'em ups controls (with fighting games input) and yeah, not a fan. The stat system seems nice, since you can increase whatever you want by the amount that you choose (kinda like Souls), but if that's the only RPG aspect then it would be disappointing. Do you guys know if you can get other moves or spells in later levels?

7Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:21 am

Rorc

Rorc
D-Rank

You don't get new moves, but some abilities change at higher levels, like getting bigger or firing more shots. There's a bunch of branching paths thru the story, so while a playthrough consists of 8 stages iirc, there are a total of 30 possible stages (a bunch of these are minor variations on each other).

Nearly anything with a sprite including bosses and the random villagers can be unlocked as playable characters, these are as low effort as you would expect but some of them are fun.

And yeah it's a faithful follower of old-school beat-em-up design ethos, meaning a big part of the game is learning how to avoid getting ganked by AI combos. Wish I could say more but it's been ages since I've played Guardian Heroes. Remember liking it though.

8Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:56 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I know SBK speaks high praise about it but it didn't connect with me *at all* either. I have it on my Xbox and it just doesn't click for the reasons you mentioned. Also never was a fan of 'lanes' .

> you can unlock nearly everything as a playable character
Not gonna lie, that's super cool.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

9Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I had it on Saturn when I was a kid and me and my brothers and friends used to have huge brawls with those unlockable characters.

10Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:20 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>stat system
Heard it affects things like speeding up animations or getting new tricks, besides it just being "numbers go up".

>SBK speaks high praise
Yeah, he was the one who got me interested in this game. Think 5hadows also had nice things to say about it. Would have to try it for myself, although the thing about the AI companion is the first time I've heard about it.

Note: I heard some rumor about this game coming back with a sequel. In an ideal world, I'd hope they give this game the Ninja Gaiden treatment (going from the NES games to the great 3D games). But we're not living in such a world.

11Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:48 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Yeah the game seems pretty MP focused. Briefly tried the Arcade mode and it's clear that it was made for multiple people.

>I'd hope they give this game the Ninja Gaiden treatment
At best it will be an old school beat'em up still. Doubt they'll go as far as to make an entirely new 3D action game.

12Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:51 am

Rorc

Rorc
D-Rank

There was a sequel on the GBA that used normal belt-scroller movement instead of lanes. It had a simpler movelist, but added a guard and parry mechanic at the cost of MP, and an airdash ability that got used in platforming segments.

13Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:29 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>sequel on the GBA
That's news to me.

14Guardian Heroes Empty Re: Guardian Heroes Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:46 am

Rorc

Rorc
D-Rank

Called "Advance Guardian Heroes", from my recollection I didn't like it as much as the first game, it was safer and less daring, and I felt like it was a bit parry-centric. There's no AI partner, and it's all designed around single-player, so I can definitely see some people preferring that cleaner design focus.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum