You are not connected. Please login or register

GameCube

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GameCube Empty GameCube Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

What are the must play games on GameCube in your opinion? The question isn't limited to a specific genre, I'm interested in good gameplay, so they can be Action or something else. I'll start with some obvious examples:

- Resident Evil 4

- P.N.03

- Viewtiful Joe 1&2

They can be exclusives, they can be released on later consoles while maintaining a strong historical bond with the GameCube or they can be cross-platform games that are better on this console.

Last edited by RedShot on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

2GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:20 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is pretty much one of the best RPGs ever made in my book. Tales of Symphonia is a good one too. Of course the Resident Evil games, including the ports as RE2 has its best version on the 'cube. RE3's version is the second best, with only the (albeit heavily modded) PC version eaking out above it.

I also enjoyed my time with titles like Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin, though they aren't as great for me anymore they were still good fun. Eternal Darkness is fine, with some really unique twists that will stay with you forever but the overal gameplay was mediocre.

Special mention should go to the easily forgotten Rogue Leader. People tend to overlook it since it was a (semi?) launch title and was overshadowed by things like Smash Melee (duh) but it's absolutely without a doubt the best use of the IP I've seen and an absolute PASSION project. Insane game.

Then there's the eternal classics. Metroid Prime is absolutely one of the best games ever produced in terms of complete package on all fronts and its sequel is no slouch either. Wind Waker is a timeless beauty too.

It's also home to Twin Snakes, a remake that's overly hated (though understandably) but still fantastic. F-Zero GX is the best racer ever produced imo while Soul Calibur II definitely has the best version on the 'cube due to Link. Paper Mario is great too, but I admit to only having played it through once since it's so long.

Lastly I want to talk a bit about Path of Radiance which imo is the absolute pinnacle of the fire-emblem series. It has the best plot, versatile and mixed up maps, great bonus-objectives, fantastic camp-mechanics, supports, optional stuff, heroes, soundtrack, pricetag hahaha. Just a timeless gem and one I often find myself replaying.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:17 am

GN1

B-Rank

Tales of Symphonia - The Tales of games are all action RPGs? I heard they have great combat which is why I'm interested in them, especially since I enjoyed what I've played of KH1FM.

Rogue Leader - It's the one game I've wanted to try and still can't emulate well sadly. What makes it so good?

Sunshine - I've never beat any Mario game, but I did play Galaxy 1 and this for a few hours.

It feels great with the 60fps when emulated, and I loved all the movement tech, as well as the water mechanics (which are also part of the moveset), but I've also heard it's a flawed game - Is it related to people not liking the water stuff, or is it something else?

4GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:09 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Rogueleader
Great mission variety that's pretty challenging and honest to god good rankings-system. Tons of unlockables, from new planes to hidden missions and storymissions. Mission-11 is an absolutely highlight and makes you feel like you're playing a PS4 game in terms of presentation and scale (still haven't a CLUE how they managed that). It's just a big chunky game with a ton of replay value.

> Tales
Yeah they're all action-RPGs or most of them at least. Symphonia was the first one for me (and honestly last), just a timeless classic though from what I know not the height of its combat system. Still fantastic entry, ton of stuff to play around with and really fun story and experience in general.

5GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:12 am

RedShot

B-Rank

@Royta/Raeng Great picks and there's a wide variety of genres.

>Luigi's Mansion
It seems good and original but I don't like it. I tried it a bit and I got bored of the concept very soon.

>F-Zero GX
I tried to enjoy Wipeout on PS3 a few times, but something didn't click with me. F-Zero GX will be my next game, I don't even remember the last time I played an arcade racer haha.

>Smash Melee and Double Dash
How are they? Are they rendered "obsolete" by their sequels? Is there any reason to play them without multiplayer in mind?

Last edited by RedShot on Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

6GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:13 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Melee
It's a great game and it has a ton of content, but honestly without having mates to play with you're left with quite a hollow experience. In terms of singleplayer content I'd still say Brawl is the best entry.

> Double Dash
Same as melee, the lacking multiplayer makes it a fun game to own but not one to play. It's still the most unique in the series imo.

7GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

>Double Dash is the most unique in the series
Are you referring to the double character mechanic? From what I understand you can split driving and item management with a friend and when you need to use another item slot the order is inverted once again.

8GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

>Sunshine
It has great movement and mediocre/bad levels. There is also little content that is stretched out to get to the lenght of Mario 64.
Lots of levels are pretty uninspired and annoying, some with terrible gimmicks. The linear challenges are some of the best content because they don't waste your time, and even those are not that great imo.

9GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> double dash
Yeah the unique mechanic is that each driver also has their own power-up that's unique to them. So you can only get the supermushroom with Mario or Luigi for example, while certain karts are also team specific, it makes for a tad more interesting character choices and gives a little idea of personalization. It also has some bitching good tracks if you ask me.

> Sunshine
Yeah it's fun, but not amazing. I think the movement is excellent and it has a great atmosphere. I highly recommend playing it in the summer with a nice drink, really sets the mood. I vastly prefer 3dWorld and Galaxy to it though.

10GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:40 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I got one for P.N 03.

If you like horror games there's Eternal Darkness. I didn't like it but a lot of horrors fans do.

11GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:17 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I almost forgot I've played Eternal Darkness last year haha.

As Birdman noted, it has its fans, and personally I think it was decent, but nothing amazing, at least not gameplay wise. However, I also didn't experiment enough with the magic system so perhaps there's more to it than I realized.

12GameCube Empty Re: GameCube Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:25 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah ED is more memorable for what it does with the 'hallucinations' than the general gameplay. There's one moment I'll never forget, when I was low on ammo, only to find a room filled with ammo....only for it to be a hallucination. They really tricked me with that one.

Also I liked the super-thirdwallbeating hallucinations, like your character suddenly falling through the floor.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum