Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Overall really enjoyed my time with this title. Gave it a run through on Normal and just started my run through Legendary difficulty, getting no-damage on most fights. The game keeps giving me surprises and stays interesting. If I was allowed a gripe it would be the absolutely terrible final chapter (what the hell was that) and the lack or at least a second weapon option. While the Gladius/Shield combi is great, some variety would work, same with having the option to do more with your oponnent i.e. sweep them.

As it stands the DDR-esque combat is still really fun, and I like how it handles 'perfect' timing. Some enemies have 'red-attacks' that cannot be blocked, unless you perfect-time the block, in which case they are staggered - it's a nice risk-reward. Enemies will also auto-dodge after a certain amount of hits taken, which you can play around with since it's a set number.

It really feels like a 'game' without all the randomness of a modern 'story title'. You do X, Y happens etc. There's also no RPG elements. Cutscenes can be skipped. There's barely any slowwalking (and those that are there can usually be run through). There's even collectibles that actually do something. There's artwork to find, but also comic-book pages which tell the backstory of the game in comicbook format. Getting all the pages let's you read the comic in full.

I also like the stances you have. You can give yourself one of four 'buffs', which activate if you kill a foe with an execution. These are "extra meter", "healing", "extra XP" or "damage boost". XP can be used to buy healthupgrades and such. Health makes you heal, and meter is used for an OHKO aoe spamfest move that's ... pretty broken haha. Still I like the idea that you can choose what the reward is. Kinda reminds me of Killer is Dead which had a similar feature.

So yeah. Reception had me thinking his was a terrible lineair modern game, but ... it honestly reminded me more of a great PS2 B-title that just happens to look gorgeous. It has faults (repetative, low enemy variety, meh bosses), but it really was enjoyable.

To add to it, without GamePass I never would've played this game. So yeah. Guess there is some good to be said about that system.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

So from a scale of Knack to Knack 2 how many Knacks would you give it?

3Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Sat May 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'd rate it a Killer is Dead.

4Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Sat May 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

I wish this was on game pass for pc.

5Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Sat May 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I thought you were joking but...yeah it isn't on GamePass on PC what the hell. Why not?

Regardless Infinity, considering how consistent we've been in liking what the other guy plays, I'd say give it a look. I legit enjoy it.

6Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 am

[][]/\Casual

[][]/\Casual
C-Rank

The game was good fun. There's rumor of a sequel and it has a lot of potential.

7Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Fri May 21, 2021 10:53 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

FYI - £1.99 (or your regional equivalent) on Steam right now. Glad I waited for another sale!

8Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Fri May 21, 2021 12:46 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

That's a fantastic bargain honestly for this game. Enjoy it if you're going to get it! I had (have) a lot of fun with it.

9Ryse: Son of Rome Empty Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Sat May 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I couldn't say no for that price! Not sure when I'll get round to playing it (I'm in full-on PS5 mode at the moment) but the gameplay I've seen does look intriguing. I'm glad you enjoyed it, that's reassuring!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]