You are not connected. Please login or register

Galerians: Ash

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Galerians: Ash Empty Galerians: Ash Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

This is the sequel to Galerians, which was on PS1. The first game was very slow and extremely limited in terms of movement. You could easily compare it to RE1. The sequel, Ash, easily qualifies as an action game.

Here's my No damage boss fight playlist, but it doesn't include the final boss. That was the one I was working on when my recorder died. Even though I have another old one now, I can't be bothered with this primitive recording process anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXU-ANzr6wNfHXUSb-y_-_4Z-m9CHld-a

In Ash, you can lock-on, dodge roll and strafe, control the camera (the original was fixed) and have a new set of psychic powers alongside returning ones. You get attacked by more enemies at once, and there's also blocking in the form of a 'force field' type shield.

Oh, and this in one of the few action games I've ever played where the dodge is NOT invincible. It doesn't hurt the game at all though, as the dodge roll provides a quick burst of movement, and the strafing is quite fast. You also have your shield, and some powers actually have a sort of built in shield property. I've spent a huge amount of time with the mechanics but I'll shut up right here because I could go on forever. It saddens me that not many people know this game or how it works, so discussion is rare.

One other mechanic I WILL mention because it's awesome and you'll only see it once in one of the videos, is Short Circuit, commonly just referred to as Short. This is a state where Rion (the main character) has a psychic meltdown, becoming completely invincible to any attack. During this state, his health will slowly drain until he dies. You will lose mobility, and only be able to walk slowly. You'll also lose access to all powers, but any enemy that comes anywhere near Rion will drop dead instantly. It has no effect on bosses, which makes sense in terms of the OHK property, but I always thought it would be cool if it had some kind of effect.

There are a few ways to activate this:

*Over time, your AP meter increase, and when max you will SC. This is due to the fact that the world has been completely irradiated. The only places this doesn't happen is in the humans' base.
*Every time you use your powers, the AP meter rises slightly.
*Taking damage (actually, I'm not too sure on this one).
*Using a drug called Appolinar can instantly induce SC.

When Shorting, there is an item that lowers your AP to zero and brings you back to normal. This item is plentiful so there's no real issue with not being able to end Short mode.

Inducing it yourself with Appolinar is useful for taking out groups of tough enemies instantly. Just make sure you have health items and the Delmetor drug to switch it off. In addition to health loss, the other downside is you can only walk slowly, as SC causes Rion massive headaches and he's pretty much in an out of control daze in this state.

I learned that you can also use Appolinar while already in SC, and it will kill all enemies in the room. I learned that recently, as in 2019 and I'm editing it in to this old post.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

2Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:35 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I knew about the first, cool they made a full on action game, shows what the 6gen systems could achieve.

Looks cool, I like the drug magic stuff, monsters look bizarre, Dorothy is disgusting. Wiki says its survival horror I guess that's the atmosphere, games r weird like that.

U put a lot of work into this good job. I might get a copy.

Is it a good game? looks like a game at the time of when games where still being figured out.

What magic do u have? I like the effects n sound design. Magic drugs r a cool concept cool to see a game with them. I wish I had a game I knew tons about to share.

U seem dedicated to your stuff. How long does it take u to dig into things, I guess that is a matter of how a game is mechanically, more complex more time to study due to greater variables interacting.

3Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:18 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Wiki says its survival horror I guess that's the atmosphere,
It is a pretty creepy game even with all the action gameplay.

I like the drug magic stuff
It's not magic. It's psychic powers. The drugs are basically ammo.

Is it a good game? looks like a game at the time of when games where still being figured out.
Yes but that doesn't mean you'll like it.

What magic do u have? I like the effects n sound design. Magic drugs r a cool concept cool to see a game with them

Nalcon (psychic shockwave), Red (fire), D-Felon (Levitate and slam enemies), Bustanor (homing lasers), Breakaron (electricity, looks like a lightning strike) and shield.

U seem dedicated to your stuff. How long does it take u to dig into things,

It varies. Generally takes a while though. Like with Ash, you can find a drug called Skip which levels up your powers. In addition to making them stronger, some actually change what they do. I would test exactly how each level works, though that took a bit of time and multiple save files.

I have yet to fully do a no Skip run. I still need to see how level 1 powers do against later bosses.

more complex more time to study due to greater variables interacting.

This is true but even simpler games can generate large amounts of variables when put under the microscope.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

4Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:58 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

How is it structured? Stages n such.

Mob types?

boss fights? it seems u fight some a few times.

Looks 1v1 centric combat with the lock on.

Nalcon looks to function like a gun.

5Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

How is what structured? Can you be more specific?

Boss fights are mostly 1v1, though two boss fights have minions. Spider and Parano I think.

You fight all the bosses twice from what I remember though they get new moves or altered versions of existing moves.

Looks 1v1 centric combat with the lock on.

With regular enemies, you can be attacked by groups. You can lock on and switch lock whenever. The strafing is quite fast and you can move back and forward too. The radar allows you to keep track of other enemies.

Nalcon looks to function like a gun.

I guess so. It's the one you'll be using mostly, it's so good. At level 1, Rion only fires a few shots with one hand, and at level 3 he fires multiple shots rapidly like a DBZ energy volley. Another thing that makes it so good is the volley of Nalcon shots actually act as a shield. It also has incredibly long range, way outside of lock-on range though you would need to be lined up properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTMEiI71WWs&index=3&list=PLXU-ANzr6wNfHXUSb-y_-_4Z-m9CHld-a

If you take a look at this video of the Dorothy fight (read the description too) you can see a good example of this. Nalcon's shield won't block every attack in the game though. You just have to know which ones and know attack durations. You'll notice I completely avoided Dorothy's lightning and eye lasers, as those are 100% unblockable.

Another thing you'll see in my other videos is Nalcon 'jabbing'. This is when you just tap the button, not hold it down to charge. Extremely useful.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

6Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Damn it, you edited again lol.

How is it structured? Stages n such.
No stages. There is a main hub where you can talk to people and they tell you what to do. More similar to old RE games where you just keep progressing until a cutscene, which will take you to a new location.

Mob types?
What do you mean by this? To me the word 'mob' is a group. Are you asking about groups of enemies or enemy types? Do you want me to describe every one?

As for types, there are robots and mutants.

The most common type (also in the first game though really different) is a humanoid mutant called a Rabbit. The common type just run and try to physically attack. Later you face a more powerful cyborg version that can shoot eye lasers.

Some robots have shields that can reflect Nalcon so you have to get behind them. Robots aren't affected by fire, and can't be levitated by D-Felon which only works on light enemies. Breakaron really hurts them.

There are a few mutants and they generally don't like fire.

7Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:30 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Is level design linear? Corridors type lvls.

chapter based?

Ng+?

8Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:32 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Mob as in enemy type. Mooks, jobbers, non boss/mini boss enemies.

9Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:35 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Linear corridors and some open parts. You're always in some sort of depressing facility or abandoned area. It's post-apocalyptic you see. Radiation everywhere.

No chapters. You just play until the next cut-scene which may or may not take you somewhere else.

Can't actually remember if there's an NG+. There might be, and there are some cool extra modes like LV3 Psychic Mode and Short Mode as well as hard difficulty.

Mob as in enemy type. Mooks, jobbers, non boss/mini boss enemies.

Ok, I have listed a few in the previous post. There's more too but I'm not posting every single one.

10Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I'll look into it thnx.

11Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

What's a galerians?

12Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:17 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Artificial human with psychic powers created by the super computer Dorothy to wipe out humanity...or something.

13Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:31 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Sounds about right,good enough for me. Ost is pretty dope, lots of sick beats, it's very laid back and unexpectedly fitting for its setting. Love the nalcon firing sound, it's got great atmosphere.

14Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

If you don't have access to a PS1 and the first game, or just don't want to play it, they made a movie of it. It's pretty good. It goes through the events of the first game exactly.

15Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

So I got this yesterday, will let you know how it goes...

16Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:58 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Cool. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

17Galerians: Ash Empty Re: Galerians: Ash Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Beat normal yesterday and just beat Hard(short) mode. Overall solid game that improves upon the original’s concepts. I’ll say more later.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum