You are not connected. Please login or register

How should I start getting into Challenge runs?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DoDoboi

DoDoboi
D-Rank

I’ve been thinking lately about if I should start doing challenge runs and I’ve been watching some runs, tips & tricks (Xristos Zimnas, MrWright, BigVEE, ExtremeGameplays) and have come to conclusion that I want to start, but the problem is I have no idea where/what to start with.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

First off, welcome!

Personally, after you've just done some basic runs (like just a straight up VH run) and feel confident that it poses no threat and you're a bit familiar with tricks and how to play, you can start with a very basic NUR. So just limit yourself with not upgrading. That's how I started at the time.

Challenge Runs exist to challenge players that have already mastered the regular runs, so it's the logical next step after that. Don't start with a NUR out of the gate as your first ever run etc.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

As Ranger says, you ought to at least do vanilla VH first. All the better if you feel you cleared it with a strong performance, but most merely 'survive' their first go (rather than crush it like some master in a redux). However, I might also suggest you then go to 'Extras' and do the trials on offer (CotG). Those are set to N, but are another good test to help expand your skillset. Good to have the basic experience squared away before moving on to these things.

>NUR
Or NUR+ (adding in NER *not extending bars for HP, MP, etc.* to NUR). Means more for some entries than others, you would find. Gimmick stuff like NRR, NCR, NBR, NGR, etc. are better for later down the line. Royboy is right to advocate for the classic.

For games with such a system (best exemplified in RPGs), usually that is the first thing you want to limit (if not go completely without). See how you perform and the game holds up without this crutch. GoW1 is the proper entry to start with. Lots of examples to work off of, good fundamentals, etc. Just DO NOT try (seriously) to commit for victory against the Clone War. That bonus credit is for later.

Likewise, don't do higher runs with GoW:A until near the end (of your time with the series). It is very probable your will to play the games will get sapped by it. Depending on how hard you struggle with the run you may want a redo before moving on. If sufficiently easy to progress, then after NUR+ would be PAIN (no PAIN+ in GoW1). Recall you do not need to kill everything (just honored).

You do not need to avoid 'death exploiting' (HP bump at checkpoint per demise), but be aware you cheapen your own experience taking handouts (removing consequences from bad play as if pitied by the game itself). You have some chaps to look to for visual aid, which is good. Should even know lads to ask questions.

Started a run yet? Know that all entries other than GoW:A have savepoints you can access without saving (cancel out of the menu) to force checkpoints (sometimes inside a fight). Exploit them while things are going well (akin to save scumming in PC games). You got a YT, Namekian? Able to record? Or would you need to resort to write-ups?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>got a YT
I believe he goes by the same name. Dodoboi. Same profile picture if I'm not mistaken, too.

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>same name
>and avatar
Could be. I'll let the lad confirm.

DoDoboi

DoDoboi
D-Rank

>Vanilla VH runs first
Yes I have done that for GoW1 & 2 (planning on doing one for GoW3 later), but I’ve only done them once. You think I should do it more or is once enough?

>NUR
Yeah I don’t think I’ll do a NUR (Instead I’ll do NUR+)since I don’t see the reason to why I would do with meter extensions, feels wrong for my first challenge run.

>GoW1 first
From (at least) what I’ve seen, GoW1 is the best (and most enjoyable) for challenge runs, right?

>Clone War
I’m brave but not foolish.

>Death exploiting
I’m gonna probably ignore it and just whatever happens, happens.

>Runs yet
No, but I hope very soon once I get a PS3.

>YT
Yes I have a YT, but I won’t be able to record GoW 1& 2 since I don’t have a capture card for that. But for GoW 3, I’ll be doing it. But if I’m stuck at a section, do I record the problem that I’m dealing with? Or should I just ask you, (or anyone else) for aid?

DoDoboi

DoDoboi
D-Rank

>Could be me
Yes, I’m the exact same idiot that you sadly found.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> did one VH run
I did the same, and honestly found myself very underexperienced for NUR, which made it a rough lesson. I'd say do it again but 'right' this time (as the first run is often too experimental/bad).

> GoW1
I'm too biased to answer since it's my favourite. GoW2 has fantastic run capabilities though.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>do it once or
IIRC I jumped into my first NUR+ after clearing VH. Still, if you think you're too inexperienced, go for another VH run if you like. Whichever decision you make, as GMG says, do the Challenge of the Gods first before dabbling into NUR+.

>GoW1 is the best (and most enjoyable) for challenge runs, right?
Debatable, but I only say this based on what I've observed. Only did challenges for GoW1, so can't speak about the rest in detail.

>no capture card
Didn't stop Zim from uploading several runs, or GMG himself from demonstrating various tactics. Can always just use a phone. Capture quality isn't important, as long as one can make out what's happening.

>ask or record
I guess depending on the severity of the problem, you can just ask first and wait for someone to help you figure out how to deal with a problem spot. If you're doing as instructed and somehow still can't make it past that section, then a video would be more appropriate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum