You are not connected. Please login or register

Lies of P

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lies of P Empty Lies of P Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:30 am

Rorc

Rorc
D-Rank

Checked this game out after a couple trusted recommendations. Liking what I've seen so far.

VERY Bloodborne-inspired, one might even call it a knock-off, but where BB emphasizes offense, Lies of P emphasizes defense. Dodges have i-frames comparable to a Souls title, but are a little sluggish, and they travel only a very small distance, so you need to be more thoughtful about using them. When you block, you still take about half damage as recoverable health, which is regained by attacking similar to BB. You can also perfect block, which negates all damage, and is the only way to block certain attacks.

There's a stagger/posture mechanic, with a twist. After dealing enough stagger damage, the enemy health bar will start flashing, but you then need to land a charged R2 to actually get the stagger. If you aren't quick enough, their posture will reset, which can be tough since they keep attacking as normal while their health bar is flashing.

Some enemy weapons can be broken by either perfect blocking enough times, or by guard-breaking enemies who use their weapon to block.

There's a weird customization system where each weapon is made of a blade and a handle and you can mix and match, like putting an axe head on a dagger handle. The moveset is tied to the handle and the attack power is tied to the blade, but a heavier blade will also slow down the attack animations a bit (and maybe change hitboxes?). I haven't used this much because it makes the weapons look silly, but it does mean that you can put all your upgrades into one blade and then move it to different handles to get your desired moveset.

2Lies of P Empty Re: Lies of P Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:10 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Haven't gone that deep into the discourse yet, I know it's on Gamepass but I've decided to skip it for now in favour of playing Sifu more. Did hear a lot of soulsborne kiddies are having a fit since the dodge has less i.frames (delicious haha).

> stagger mechanic
Sounds cool, but on the flipside I must admit I'm so insanely tired of stagger mechanics in action-rpgs I legit would rather just stay on Destiny Island forever and fight Rikku for 20 hours than do this shit again haha.

> weapon breaking
Now THAT sounds interesting though. Their moveset then changes?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Lies of P Empty Re: Lies of P Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:38 pm

Rorc

Rorc
D-Rank

There's a feature to the estus (called power cells) where, if your supply is currently at 0, then dealing damage to enemies will gradually fill it back up to 1. The skill tree also has options that make you stronger in various ways while you have 0 power cells. I'm really enjoying this. You get a nice dynamic of fighting to earn your next heal.

>soulsborne kiddies are having a fit
I imagine these are the types to mash L1 in Sekiro or mash the roll button to avoid attacks in Dark Souls, neither of which works very well in Lies of P. As long as I time dodges and blocks with care, the i-frames feel very reasonable.

However, the lack of breathing room does make the difficulty feel a bit higher. BecauseĀ it's often hard to get to a safe distance, stamina running out is a more pressing concern. I spend most of my time in boss fights at low stamina. Together with the healing thing mentioned above, I feel like I'm 'living paycheck to paycheck' during boss fights. I can see why the casual types would hate that, but I love it.

>broken weapon moveset
From what I've seen it only reduces their range and damage. The guys with big 2handed swords will use the exact same animations with the broken hilt despite 90% of the blade being gone.

On the plus side it works on a LOT of stuff, even bosses. One mutant enemy sort of 'grows' a shield out of his arm, and to my surprise even that shield can be destroyed. The tooltips tell me that Acid can damage enemy weapons, which I'm curious to play with as soon as I get an Acid weapon.

4Lies of P Empty Re: Lies of P Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:46 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> estus
Sounds interesting, better than grinding for flasks like in BB for sure.

> skill tree
God almight why.

> mash l1 soulskiddies
That's the one.

> paycheck to paycheck
Honestly so far you're doing a pretty good job at selling the game, might check it out when I have the chance.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5Lies of P Empty Re: Lies of P Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:46 pm

Rorc

Rorc
D-Rank

An odd mechanic I didn't notice right away is that the glowing-red attacks which can only be guarded by using perfect guard are also 'undodgeable', meaning they ignore your i-frames. You can still avoid them by manually getting out of the way, of course. No doubt this mechanic is contributing to the people crying online.

Anyway, finished the game now. Great stuff. Very good sense of escalation as you go, the final area is awesome. It's more straightforward than From's games, progression is linear and there are no weird or gimmicky bosses like Pinwheel/Micolash/Deacons. Every single boss is just a deathmatch in an open room between you and somebody trying to kill you. Not that they aren't clever, I quite liked most of them. The first few are the worst ones IMO, because the designers go a little too easy on you in the early parts of the game.

>skill tree
Note that the skill tree is completely seperate from levelling. You can only obtain skill points by finding them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum