Royta/Raeng
vert1
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Underwater Action Empty Underwater Action Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:18 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

What do you guys think and imagine possibilities about this? You got these third-person games with sluggish controls -- put that shit underwater. FromSoft presents Underwater Souls.

There are like a handful of games I know that let you go underwater and the only character action game, if you can call it that, that permanently places you there is Ecco the Dolphin on Dreamcast/PS2. To me I've grown tired of devs making these booooooooooooooooooring flat ground combat arenas. Beating Metroid Dread the water parts are easily the best IMO, with the EMMI chase sequences with the player going in and out of deep water being the highlight outside of the boss fights.

2Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:28 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I still remember the underwater sections of Bayonetta 2. I know people disliked them, but honestly felt it was quite refreshing (ha).

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:35 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I imagine them never happening.

4Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:21 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

I still have to try MonHun Tri/3U and see for myself how underwater combat really was.
In general underwater gives you access to the z axis for you to control, which can be cool, but you don't necessarily need water for it (see ZoE).
I'd like to see one day a full underwater action game, with the mechanic not just used as a pacebreaker.

5Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:08 am

Nuclear Sorrow

Nuclear Sorrow
D-Rank

all i gotta say is screw those first person underwater controls of dmc1.

6Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:44 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I honestly never had any issue with the swimming sections, it's only in 3 missions very briefly and 1 secret mission. I didn't have an issue with vertical invert even if it's not my preference. I don't think they are offensive compared to other underwater sections(DMC2 is far more egregious).

7Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Paul Allen's Profile

Paul Allen's Profile
C-Rank

>DMC 1 underwater sections
I was suprised how many people hate those sections. They don't stand out that much and are pretty short. It's not that bad adventure segment that changes the pace of the game a bit.

8Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:16 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

^DMC fans aren't super accepting of anything that isn't the regular combat, but that those bits are ranked would likely also be a bit of a piss off.

As for GoW, I'm among the few vets that likes traversal combat, but wishes they would properly expand it. GoW1 had the best combat scenarios while being basic, which is telling. GoWII added in traversal hazards. GoWIII made our wall (not ceiling or rope *though the latter benefits from CG*) combat strings slightly more advanced. GoS had i-frames on nearly all the animations (wall and ceiling), which is excessive (this to deal with pests with projectiles *should have been on rapid movements treated like evades*).

To me, it would have been nice if they kept their GoWII talk (Titan Minotaur planted on a wall). It had 'hives' (H. Nymph only *no Nymph or even Harpies*) for what that is worth, but you can't grab them from the wall (nor ceiling) despite this being a sequel (harpies only turned up at a single wall in GoW1). They weren't really designed for the section (no special attacks like a wall bomber nor wall grab *nor did we have a special wall throw on them*). GoWIII did not bring back the destructible spawning location (GoW:A did, but lost traversal combat in exchange).

GoWIII promised wall running (only delivered in very limited capacity) ala Trickster. This along with wall running attacks (nope) as with Prince of Persia (or even Ninja Gaiden). We got a Cyclops on a wall, but only as a fixture (can't climb let alone fight back *certainly isn't mountable as even on solid ground they didn't finish copying Beast Lords for Olympus Fiends to that end*). Harpy Queens are never around such bits for mounting (could have been cool). Got only the most basic mob (not even a higher version of it as with GoW1).

Would have liked to see full control on walls. Good that GoWII added quick drop and slide (aside from ceilings). Gap crossing as a collision is funny (though grappling a wall should probably also be a half collision *from some other source as with grapple points though maybe not just gliding to connect with the wall, which probably shouldn't be more than a GoWIII style 'wall collision' versus a mega collision like the GoW1 grabs offer). Aside from having our ceiling and rope moveset slightly adjusted (bit of stringing if not allowing some of our one-handed tools *weird that GoWIII's chain weapons couldn't replaced BoE on ropes by design*) never coming to pass, (as before) we did get changes to the GoWIII wall set-up.

In GoWIII, there is a short light/heavy string (can even mix-and-match). Good for being mobile on the offense (even cancels well). No i-frames, but the heavy ender can move sufficiently far away from the wall to clear some attacks (like rope kicking offers in terms of hurtbox). No blocking for any of these (despite Tug-of-War having exactly that *yet not Tether in GoW:A*). Throws got simplified as things went along. Would have preferred some risk for doing them (especially milking sort *that should give bonus orbs and DMG*). Never the case you can be on ground and grab foes of the wall in unique fashion (not even ground-to-air recognition with OH). Certainly can't pluck one off with air-to-air (air OS). Not on ropes, either (foes can drop from the rope to pull our feet though).

It would have been nice to see light ender knock foes away (half collision) even on walls (would be fine if more elite versions could catch the wall after a bit of flight path *saving themselves*). Heavy ender being able to leap frog foes would be sweet, but then having the option to leap away from walls at any point freely (or drop from ceilings whenever) is how it should be by default. Sucks we lose Icarus Lift went dropping even from ropes (sabotages our options). CoO/GoS had rounded corner walls while GoWII had harder corners with transition animations. Both are neat, but the latter was notable in some spots since strikes (especially a wall heavy *ought to have worked like a Plume/Spirit with shallow/deep for multi-hit*) could dislodge them (not in the same fashion as GoW1 with spawning enemies losing their grip before they could get it *also neat*).

Never quite get a foe large enough to climb on that isn't a level. Cyclops itself is a bit small for something like quick sliding along its back for DoT (while the animation persists). Don't even really get a section mixing rope with wall/ceiling. Get some timed gimmick platforming, but not so much with combat added in. Hell, no such thing as vertical/swinging rope combat nor 'wall ropes' (PoP had them). Balance Beams? Forget about it. Casuals hate all of this. Most vets just tolerate it (getting good enough to trash talk the newbies being crushed in Hades, for example). Me? I wanted more of the GoW platforming (expanded, but also not forgetting to have fights during even these pace changers). I don't especially complex movesets on foes or even all foe types on walls, but come on. Couldn't even give us an 'Arena' stage with a wall section (let alone make our own 'challenge')?

Ropes remain basic though GoS at least had parallel cases (didn't do much with them). GoW1 remains the only one slightly trying with them. GoWII had one get severed with an enemy shot, but that is scripted. GoW1's famous 'NOPE ROPE' (Challenge of Atlas) with slightly broken design could have used some drop points along the way (especially at the forced pincer locations) aside from an alternative route to explore (background wall *not just an unintended foreground skip*). In terms of combat scenarios, just a ton more could have been done with the opps we had in these bits, but it was almost always kept very basic (simple filler). Almost pointless when as such. Hardly even any traps. About as interesting a rope set-up as there would be came from a ballista making our way ahead. No optional case save in GoWIII, but that one had no wall combat (couldn't really move it around freely nor shoot enemies with it *would be fun to impale them to a wall*).

GoWII also had Pegasus Flight sections with the second (losing the Etna bit and never gaining a third at the Spire using the Phoenix, which could probably have been even more damaging with collisions if not using fire attacks) gaining Typhon's Bane. Just sort of sucks it isn't possible to whip out EH to petrify from its back like in popular culture (which GoW tends to favor more than Greek Myth accuracy). Hell, Griffins don't even get used outs these bits (Rocs don't matter, so I'm not sweating them). Manticore in GoW:A is about how I'd want them to be as mini-bosses (minus the birthing and slightly high HP). GoWIII's version was Icarus Vents. No combat at all. Amazin'. Just like GoW:A turning traversal into Uncharted on-rails crap you can't fail with more generally (before Nu-GoW made it a total joke *more walkie talkie*).

But this is about the last sort of traversal. Swimming. GoW1 had underwater grabs (used to sexually assault our cousins for goodies *air meter removed in full release with no way to restore it even with Bubbles*). Lost beyond that. Good for cancels. Shame. Traps spiced those bits up along with hidden spots. Mostly filler in GoWII (one puzzle bit), GoWIII and GoW:A. Water is just there to drop foes into (to kill them). Can't run on it, nothing lives in it (not really), no way to freeze the surface for even temporary traversal (even if acting icey, so sliding like Mario), etc. Dull. Nothing even lights us on fire for water to help. Electric attacks while foes are standing in the stuff? Doesn't change a thing. Cosmetic. Even time-slow meant nothing in GoWII (couldn't interact differently with the liquid when more solid). GoW:A wouldn't let us change state of matter between the two via AoU (Life Cycle). Dumb.

Anyway, CoO added underwater chests. GoS had underwater currents to swim against (until too strong *pushing away*) along with grapples. GoW1 already had underwater levers. These things go to waste for never having even the most basic of enemies have an AI script (GoW1 had them jumping, using ladders, etc. aside from ropes and walls *with GoWII adding ceilings*) to swim. Hell, it can be water specific versions that look the same (if not being true uinques). How is it that GoS had mermen (Tritons) yet we couldn't get a single one to slap around under the water? Adjusting the controls to suit this wouldn't be that hard. The combat would likely just re-use air strings, but adjust the speed to reflect the resistance. That place evasion adjusting a bit. If only for pre-GoW1, definitely should have used an air meter to spice them up (bubbles, surfacing, nymph kissing, etc. would refill it). GoW:A had a tease in the form of Not-Charbydis (Alecto). Kraken was supposed to be in true Atlantis (GoWII), but plans changed (some of Atlantis turned up in GoWIII and GoS with a Clash reference used in GoWII instead).

With CG and/or Tether, reworking dashes into evades (up, down, left or right *versus spinning in place while being charged*), wall bounds (more rapid, longer distance and more damaging dashes though perhaps lacking i-frames), just lifting aerial combat (slightly slowed) as a starting point, having basic mobs, using traps (and gimmick scenarios), etc. it could be perfectly serviceable filler like the others. The stigma against these bits is merited, but a bit overblown. No reason to not try at all (not even in a side-entry). GoW:A should have had the balls to be experimental, but just didn't (too much work going into something entirely not asked for *executive mandate nonsense*). It is asking too much to have ALL enemies able to swim, do their own animations in the water, etc. That's just a reality to be accepted (part of why it gets treated like lava *along with not wanting to make combat specific to it*). How goofy is it that a Poseidon bit in GoWIII has just the one swimming bit (to get to it)? Portals are his thing because Atlantis tech? Sure thing. Where is my 'gun' to that end?

Definitely way more could be done. Only Maelstroms we got were cosmetic (spectacle in the background) in GoS and GoW:A. Not so much as a whirlpool to take care around (no water spouts and such). Only water fall coming to mind was in Bog of the Forgotten, but it isn't like they let us even swim in that stuff at all (no quick sand mechanic for us *just treated like lava, which itself is handled wrong in that we sink in it as if Kratos is more dense than...well, I suppose that is fair enough*). Only stream that comes to mind is in GoS (on a platform that is pulled down by a whirlpool, actually *in lava*). This is the 'Adventure' side of things with 'platforming' sure, but GoW kept combat for it, which is what helped make me like them. Without the fighting? Not so much my bag. Turning a crank to cross a lethal stream? Dull. Doing that while opps try to kill you? Alright, then. Simple as that. Just a touch of spice. Water could have used a bit of that.

9Underwater Action Empty Re: Underwater Action Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:25 am

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:I still remember the underwater sections of Bayonetta 2. I know people disliked them, but honestly felt it was quite refreshing (ha).
Do the bullets fired have ripple-effects? More hang-time to shoot downwards at enemies? (Despite owning this game for years, I haven't played it.)

Malcar wrote:In general underwater gives you access to the z axis for you to control, which can be cool, but you don't necessarily need water for it (see ZoE).

Underwater Action Spacef10
Yeah, like this new space game (The Expanse: A Telltale Series) doing zero gravity traversal.

GodModeGOD wrote:
But this is about the last sort of traversal.  Swimming.  GoW1 had underwater grabs  . . .  Water is just there to drop foes into (to kill them).  Can't run on it, nothing lives in it (not really), no way to freeze the surface for even temporary traversal (even if acting icey, so sliding like Mario), etc.  Dull.  Nothing even lights us on fire for water to help.  Electric attacks while foes are standing in the stuff?  Doesn't change a thing.  Cosmetic.  Even time-slow meant nothing in GoWII (couldn't interact differently with the liquid when more solid).  GoW:A wouldn't let us change state of matter between the two via AoU (Life Cycle).  Dumb.

Anyway, CoO added underwater chests.  GoS had underwater currents to swim against (until too strong *pushing away*) along with grapples.  GoW1 already had underwater levers.  

It is asking too much to have ALL enemies able to swim, do their own animations in the water, etc.  That's just a reality to be accepted (part of why it gets treated like lava *along with not wanting to make combat specific to it*).  How goofy is it that a Poseidon bit in GoWIII has just the one swimming bit (to get to it)?  Portals are his thing because Atlantis tech?  Sure thing.  Where is my 'gun' to that end?

Turning a crank to cross a lethal stream?  Dull.  Doing that while opps try to kill you?  Alright, then.  Simple as that.  Just a touch of spice.  Water could have used a bit of that.

Imagine with how gruesome God of War is in general how the blood would cloud the water in combat to the point where Kratos would need a silhouette to be located. And you'd have slowly falling limbs of vanquished foes. Kratos' weapon does seem like it was designed for water combat but I guess environment hazard / minor exploratory bits were easier to implement.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum