Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Managed to get my hands on a copy. I heard a lot about this game growing up and it, and Ninja Gaiden, were titles I was always eying as a kid due to how cool they looked. Finally got a copy and: damn, this game is good.

It's a 'basic' on-rails shooter, with a few twists. You controle a dragon, which is neat, but you can change forms. Each form has its unique strenghts and weaknesses and you need to swap between them to survive. You can still get creative in which form you use when, so it's not "red dragon shoots red enemies" if that's your fear. One form for example has low damage, but is more of a hitscanner, great when swarmed by projectiles to shoot them out of the sky.

The most 'dull' form is the middle one, which is just high-DPS, but you'll constantly swap to it for high damage output. The twist is that this mode cannot change speeds or reposition. During bosses you can for example, instead of shooting missiles out of the sky, use "speed up" to avoid shots, or to put yourself in a better position i.e. in front of the boss to blast his weakpoint.

The game is extremely difficult mind you, even on Normal you can expect to barely make it out of stage-1 in one piece when you're still figuring out how the game works. Bosses are very brutal as well, especially the stage8 and stage10 bosses will just demolish you at first.

Hard Mode has some added enemies from what I noticed, and you take a bit more damage, but didn't really notice a lot of changes to be honest.

Game is FILLED TO THE BRIM with unlockables though, from costumes, other dragons to a fully playable Panzer Dragoon 1 game from the Sega Saturn. Shit's unreal.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:33 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Played this a few years ago. Didn't finish it.

It has a ranking system I think. I remember it records a destruction %. So you have to shoot down not only every enemy, but also destroy every destructible piece of the environment.

3Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:10 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Nope, there's just a % of how many enemies you've killed, you're probably confusing it with another game. Why did you drop it?

4Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:09 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I checked and found this.

"Based on a variety of things. You can boost this score by shooting certain non-enemy things in a stage, or by locking-on to as many foes as possible before shooting your lasers."

Must have got the percentage thing confused with Otogi which shows a % of breakable stuff. I was playing both around the same time.

>Why did you drop it?
Couldn't get into rail shooters. Dropped the Starfox games too. I played Orta more than others though because the mechanics are good

5Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

That part about shooting non-enemy things isn't true or badly worded, basically he means subparts of enemies. For example there's a boss that has turrets, you can just focus on the boss or you can 'kill' the turrets it has to weaken his offensive-capabilities. Those give you points.

6Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:18 am

GN1

B-Rank

I played like 5 levels out of 10 on my XSX, and while I don't know much about rail shooters I really enjoyed it, it has fun mechanics and challenging levels and still looks amazing. This thread is a nice reminder I need to play and finally beat it lol.

While I'm here for the gameplay, I'm still interested to know how is the story? Does it stand on its own or do I need to play the earlier entries to understand it (I want to play them regardless but probably after beating Orta)?

P.S I also recommend Gunvalkyrie (made by the same devs), I wrote about it here after it became back compat on X1/XSX.

7Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:41 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> reminder
Definitely play and beat it, it's not too long (first run is about 3-5 hours) while subsequent runs are about 1 hour. The bosses are really, really hard especially first time through, the Chapter 8 boss gave me PTSD and the final boss really is tricky at first.

> story
It has its moments, but I was lost in some of the details to be honest. The game definitely caters to lore-fans, but it also sports a pretty indepth lexicon. The story OOOOZES style however, the game's artdirection and mood are absolutely untouched especially for the era. There's moments like this that just absolutely amaze me: https://youtu.be/QzvgTtClLKY?t=739
Like it's just a boss introduction, but there's just so much character in the setting, the music, the voice-work - great stuff.

Also chapter 4 is just...wow: https://youtu.be/-Ae8ykg-chA?t=47
For a game of that age, this is amazing.

> gunvalk
Still trying to get my hands on a copy, but it's become one of those "investor games" for some reason. So prices are going up and up which sucks.

8Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:45 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

That sounds right regarding the destruction thing. Looked up a video and didn't see anything else.

>getting Gunvalkyrie
Might be easier to get a used modded original Xbox and download ISOs. That's what I do.

9Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am

GN1

B-Rank

Gunvalkyrie does have slowdown on the OG Xbox when there are too much enemies or effects on the screen, although most of the time it runs at a stable 60fps.

Both Panzer Dragoon Orta and Gunvalkyrie cost 10 USD on the Xbox store, they look great with the resolution boost and also have no framerate issues on X1X and XSX (I played them on XSX).

Last edited by GN1 on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

10Panzer Dragoon Orta Empty Re: Panzer Dragoon Orta Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:58 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah I actually own Gunvalk on the X1, but I'm a (dumb) sucker for playing on original hardware if possible since it just makes me feel like a teen again in some sense haha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum