Royta/Raeng
Birdman
Dark_Blood_NG
AKheon
Gabriel Phelan Lucas
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 20]

951What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:23 am

GN1

B-Rank

Still on God Hand, got to stage 6 and I beat all the 30 fighting ring missions so far, still KMS. Gonna start stage 6 today.

Beating the 3 stooges in stage 4-4 was very difficult even at lvl2, can't imagine how tough it's gonna be on hard KMS lol.

Other than that I still to mostly remain between lvl3 and lvldie, I die a lot but I also feel how I improve after each fight and I'm just having way too much fun. Being able to cancel most attack with side dodges or ducking is also very useful.

As far as the moveset goes, so far I've replaced the guard break with the right high knee guard breaker which blends beautifully into the basic square combo, and I'm also using using hand plant kick and reverse hell kick, very fun moves.

The more I play it the more it reminds me of Viewtiful Joe (which I love and still need to beat on Ultra V-rated) in some key aspects, as different as they are. Most notably in not being able to block and the way dodges work, being able to use enemies as projectiles once they are stunned, and how the environments play into the combat. I thought it was worth mentioning because this mindset actually helped me play better and be smarter about when to launch enemies for crowd control.

Previously I also praised how great the bosses are in that they are like more advanced versions of regular foes and that all of your tools work against them. I still stand behind that statement, and while stage 4-8 Azel prelude was amazing, stage 5's demon Elvis was a major disappointment. The game just threw all of its strengths out of the window, and decided to pit you against an hyper armored and tanky demon. I really hope this was an exception.

952What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:50 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Handplant kick is absurdly good.

953What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty BI0-N0IDs RULE HIGH SKY Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:00 am

I'm now able to make it to final stage ( ACT 7 ) in The Gaiden Part III NES NA. The referental (inter-dimensional) Ancient Ship of Doom. No kidding here. Am I allowed to bitch and moan now, mommy? Used up my continues to fight the draft on the lofty outside, didn't even made it in. Spit on a stick. Really, now? The wind sucks. Or blows, as your preference. I'll shall be careful now. Usually my motivation to beat things turns to sour frustration rather quickly. I'll have to "just play" again, to get any fun. Yeah. Still shootin' for a no-continue 1cc. This game is way more fun then the other two. Come at me and I'll give you a hug.

954What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:23 am

RedShot

B-Rank

I'm playing SWFU2 because I needed a shorter game than usual ones. Hard mode was done pretty easily and then I discovered the hardest difficulty can't be played from scratch, so now I'm doing a NUR+ on another file to avoid becoming OP on Unleashed difficulty (when I unlock it).

I'm a bit surprised the game seems almost "fair" if you compare it to the first one. It's somewhat more refined, but it lacks the audacity of the first adventure, AI can be a bit messy at times altough SWFU1's sheer aggression is on another level even if you choose Normal. Several years ago I didn't delve too much into it, but these memories are confirmed by  @GodModeGOD 's posts on GameFAQs and he's definitely a vet.

Even if he only tried the demo when he posted that moveset analysis, his observations were spot on for the entire game. I don't have a fresh memory of SWFU1's combat, but I think i-framed grabs in SWFU2 make a major difference in your approach. You can probably do a Grab Only Run with few forced exceptions.

Now I am against the Terror Walker, a spider mech boss with several minions and multiple phases. In my opinion it's a decent fight because it's not extremely pattern-based like other bosses and things can go south if you don't pay attention to little spiders and invisible enemies.

It's not the greatest action game ever made and most of its merits comes from the superior SWFU1, but I'm finding it interesting enough to do some runs thanks to its brevity.

955What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:06 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

Red: >can't be played from scratch
I don't remember if SWFU1 had this problem. Feel like DI did. I didn't respect SWFU2 enough to even play VH.

>a vet
A vet among vets in this case (as with GoW). As for SWFU2, just another survivor. I'd done some demo testing that was more serious, but as much as I liked with the sequel...there was plenty more I didn't like (mostly owed to Lucas halving their dev time).

>Grab ONLY
I don't recall trying such a thing. Force ONLY, Saber ONLY, etc., sure. Would this include a technical grab using meter as with "Grip"? That's not much of a stretch.

>runwork
Giving it a go as the gent did long ago, eh?

956What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:15 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

>I didn't respect SWFU2 enough to even play VH.
Have you some interest in modern games like Elden Ring (I remember you did  Dark Souls 1in the past) or would you prefer to go back to past projects you couldn't start or finish? You probably wouldn't restart SWFU2, but I remember you did some serious work on Dead Space, without doing the same for the sequels.

>as much as I liked with the sequel...there was plenty more I didn't like (mostly owed to Lucas halving their dev time)
I agree. Everyone can see how much it was rushed. It's a shame because after that generation action games started to become hybrids and longer in general. The action-adventure template in the PS2 era was perfect. Now if they don't create some Souls/metroidvania/action-rpg/roguelike people would complain. Jedi Fallen Order was developed with that mindset, for example.

>Would this include a technical grab using meter as with "Grip"? That's not much of a stretch.
Grip seems a solid option for that run and you can even intercept ATs' missiles with it, so you don't need to break the rules for those enemies. Bosses are obvious exceptions, I only have some doubts about the last fight.
Spoiler:

Invisible enemies must be electrified and you can grab them. Mechs can be beaten with Grip abuse.

>Giving it a go as the gent did long ago, eh?
Yes, if I find it interesting enough after my NUR+. Unleashed mode seems promising because if you don't upgrade any stats you are pretty much a glass cannon. On Youtube you can find only people with a full upgraded Starkiller and with the purple lightsaber (it gives you more defense).
I did the first level and I had to play smart, using instant kill options (Grip, explosives, electrified walls, etc.) and dashing costantly to avoid cheap damage. Dash attacks are more useful than before and grabs with the stab/execution aren't nerfed thankfully. Unleashed superstate is OP so I'd prefer to not use it. It's a win button, it doesn't seem mechanically interesting at a first glance.
If you have a link for the gent's run I'd gladly watch/read it.

957What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:14 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

>interest
If I had the time, sure. I don't, so it isn't happening.

>without doing the same for the sequels
I had it all planned for DS2 and started the run (had just finished the first Pack encounter in VH No-Gun NUR+). Got side-tracked and the vet board with my write-ups got lost. Most of my DS1 stuff was lost, too. Real shame. Wasn't interested in redoing work.

>Vader
Don't remember how he works in SWFU2. Can't speak to that.

>can't find NUR and higher
Gent was one of the few with any sort of footage. About as rare was that for DI. Unholy ONLY even with upgrades on H isn't something you could get much of.

>his run
Pretty sure it was just bits and pieces (this is all that is left): https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterGoonerBater/videos

958What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:42 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

I finished the NUR+, 10 challenges on a maxed out character and with a base Starkiller (the platforming one was pure evil). I played the game on Xbox Series S, but I used the PC version to try the remaining 5 challenges (preorder stuff which shouldn't exist) thanks to a mod. They are mainly platforming trials but there is also a somewhat decent tower defense challenge.

Xbox 360/PS3 version is way more stable and responsive than the PC port so I'd recommend that release. Endor DLC has better bosses than the main game (easy thing, because those are among the worst bosses I have ever seen in an action game), and I wish it was just a bit longer.

>footage
I learned some good tricks. Environmental abuse with force powers can give you nice alternatives that you can't find in other titles. Mind trick is too weak in a NUR+, but almost all other force moves are useful. Melee is a bit underwhelming, short combos are fine but a ground base combo that ends with a launcher isn't generally a good idea. The instant launcher, ground grab and air grab are more safe and powerful.

Enemies aren't terrible but they could have been mixed more in some areas. Targeting objects and enemies is very imprecise (even after some runs), and this is a major problem. I had to replay several fights and challenges because the game shifted my target to the opposite direction or it didn't select the right object to throw.  

I'm glad I played it but I'm done with it. Play SWFU1 if you want a similar yet superior experience. I remember it was unrefined, but overall more enjoyable, challenging and fresh for its entirety.

@GodModeGOD By the way, what's your opinion on Wolverine (PS3)? You mentioned it in that SWFU thread and I became curious so I watched some videos. It seems a strange mix between NG2's combat when you use Falcon's Talons and GoW (different grabs, ring-outs, some environmental options, climbing combat and the action-adventure structure). Enemies are aggressive but I'm skeptical about the great focus on the "Lunge". Smart positioning might be unnecessary if you can always do a sort of teleportation to kill.

959What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:39 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> SWFU2
Gave the game a playthrough at one point, but it wasn't what I had wanted from it personally. It felt like a lot of things took a step back, like how certain moves worked and force powers functioned while relying more on the (already terribad) sword fighting.

> wolverine
It's still on my personal backlog, as I've heard good things about it for such a funky title.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

960What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:45 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>SWFU
I played this once many years ago for about 20 mins. Don't remember a thing. Wouldn't mind looking into it again.

961What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:58 am

GN1

B-Rank

After finishing my first playthrough of Haunting Ground I went back to God Hand and started a hard run.

I finally beat stage 1-4 (Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver) KMS, and I managed to do it while only throwing 1 or 2 boxes at them. I always struggled with counter hitting them, especially 2 specific attacks; The one where one of them jumps above the other, and their dash attacks.

Somehow in my last try it all came together and I managed to pull off at least 3 counter hits to their dash attacks with the default high side kick. It's essential for crowd control, and it gave me a much needed breathing room to punish the one that remained close to me. Such a fun fight, despite how brutal it is after fighting 4 waves of enemies where things can easily go wrong. At least I'm better at counter hitting now haha.

962What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:55 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Tried the RE4 HD fan remaster for a bit, feels unbelievable. 60 FPS and 1080p ultrawide is so so good. The 60 FPS QTE bug is also fixed by the patch. Maybe I'll get a video at some point.

963What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:31 am

GN1

B-Rank

The HD texture mod also comes with a patch to fix the port's issues? Can you send a link?

964What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:45 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

https://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=9303 Apparently a lot of visual/sound glitches are fixed.

It also bundles this mod https://nipkownix.github.io/re4_tweaks/ which has some fixes as well as optional tweaks like FOV increase. 60 FPS still has some visual issues I think with a few reload animations but it's perfectly playable from what I tried and feels really good.

965What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon May 02, 2022 11:05 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Got BotW back.

Really enjoying it. Some of these combat tricks are insane and hard to do. I need more hearts and stamina to practice properly.

966What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 03, 2022 9:07 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Currently playing Band of Brothers Road to Hill 30, got it for 2$ at a used game-store and so far it's an excellent tactical shooter. Also playing some DoA2U again and replaying KH2.

967What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 03, 2022 11:04 am

GN1

B-Rank

How is BoTW in terms of mission/dungeon design and overall exploration in the open world? I don't really like such big open worlds, but I've also heard that BoTW's mechanics make the open world more fun to explore.

I've played KH1FM up to Agraba IIRC and I really liked the combat (I'll start it over sometime). I've seen lots of praises for KH2FM's combat by action players, especially the post games bosses, but that it also starts slow and takes some time to open up. How do you feel about it so far?

I've started Genma Onimusha and played for like an hour or so, I beat the first boss and got the fire orb and Enryuu. It's the first time I've played a game that is both fixed camera and tank controls like, so I've still not fully adjusted to the controls yet, but I'm slowly getting there and so far I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't play Warlords, but I have to say I really love combat additions of Genma: The charge attacks where each level also has a different effect on enemies (knockback, knockdown), and the green orb system is really neat. I also love how a level 3 charged attack makes a buffed enemy return to its original form and gives you a chance to absorb the green orb.

The kick, especially when combined with the Fiend Sealer is a very useful crowd control tool, and mastering Issen will take quite some time (and multiple playthroughs).

968What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 03, 2022 11:37 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

>How is BoTW in terms of mission/dungeon design and overall exploration in the open world?
The quests are pretty good since they don't give you a quest marker and are pretty varied. No Witcher sense bullshit and no trailing missions is also a plus.
The dungeons are hit or miss. There are only 5 "true" dungeons in the game and while cool, they are pretty short and barebones compared to an actual Zelda dungeon. Aside from these there are the Shrines, which are basically mini dungeons focused only on puzzle solving or combat. The latter are disappointing since you only fight one enemy and are pretty much copypasted around the world. The puzzle shrines are much better and while there are some that are either too simple or too obtuse, most of them are pretty good for what they are. Most of them use the game's system in a clever way to construct interesting puzzles.
The open world is great for the first few hours, but there aren't too many cool things to find (but when you do they are worth it). Also not much visual variety, lots of grassy fields. The big upside is that after the tutorial (which lasts for maybe an hour) you are free to go wherever you want and travelling is pretty fast thanks to horses, the glider and shield surfing. There is basically no restriction and this paired with the engine makes for an interesting experience. There are so many interactions between all the game's element it's insane.
I also suggest you to turn off the minimap and only relying on the normal map (which doesn't have any markers).

969What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 03, 2022 12:47 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> KH1FM
So far it's my favourite. The combat is tight, but it also realizes there's more to a game than just combat. Platforming is good and exploration is rewarding with a ton of those little secrets. Like, there's braziers in the Hercules level, cast Blizzaga on all of them and you get a hidden chest, that sort of fun stuff. Also a ton of bonus content and a pretty enjoyable grind for the Ultima Weapon.

So far KH2FM starts very slow, doesn't get good until at least 4-5 hours in (skipping cutscenes) for me where you'll slowly get enough options for the combat to get more interesting.

> Genma Oni
Fantastic game. Note that a lot of the things you praise (charge attacks, green orb) are Genma exclusive. Played that game to death. Might go for another completed save-file on my vanilla Xbox soon.

970What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Oh yeah I chose Genma over Warlords after reading online and here how much better it is. I know it also has a hard mode. Does it make any interesting changes other than HP/Damage boosts to enemies? Couldn't find any info about it online.

971What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 03, 2022 3:39 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hard has remixed enemy locations, which can be quite brutal from my recollection.

972What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty 6 x the pain 6 x the fun Wed May 04, 2022 12:16 pm

The way I remember is that Genma hard mode has up to 6 times the enemy count in any location that Warlords has. But it has been some space since I spun some Warlords. I could check for you, since I was thinking of getting back to O2 soon. But don't hold your breath for a fast report, please?

973What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty GN1 report Thu May 05, 2022 6:35 pm

For what it's worth.

I counted the enemies beginning from obtaining the Oni Gauntlet to the first boss.

Numbers in ( ) mean encounters in areas that are not in Warlords and are to enter in Genma due to changed key item location. As Raeng states Genma has mixed-up groups of enemies, meaning lesser grunts and more heavies from the start.

Warlords has 3 modes to choose from; Easy, Normal, and Ultimate.
Genma has 3 modes too, Easy, Normal, Hard; all can be played in Ultimate after requirements are met.

Wal: N [4] [5] [2] [3] [4] [9] [18] [3] 1st boss (he didn't know humans can be such pests)

Gen: N [5] [4] [3] [3] [3] (1) [10] [6] [12] (5) (2) (3) [1] [1] 1st boss (he hasn't eaten in a while)

Gen: H [5] [4] [6] [5] [6] [2] [10] [7] [13] (5) (4) ((3)) (5) [4] [3] 1st boss (useless)

I realize that the numbers vary, and can't say with certainty why. Intern rank? Slaying time for bonus slobs? Issen ratio? No matter to me, too nerdy.

974What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri May 06, 2022 1:03 pm

GN1

B-Rank

nice comparison lol, I do know that before you get the thunder orb you get to fight 2 ogres instead of one so that's gotta be lots of fun haha.

As of now I saved past the water puzzle, just before the part where I need to get down the stairs and pick the left crest, where I first encounter the doll. So far I love the game for both combat and level design. I'm also getting more comfortable with the fixed camera tank controls so hopefully I'll have an easier time getting into classic RE games.

Kicks are also very useful and fun to use, and I like how they can stagger bigger enemies like the red samurai, and by that you can keep your offense. It saved me several times when he went for a grab.

It also seems that if enemies are lined up, kicking the first enemy will also stagger enemies that stand behind them which is very cool, but I need to test it further.

975What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 10, 2022 3:48 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

I have some questions regarding Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 for PS2. I heard that the button mashing sequences on Euro Extreme are pretty insane, and apparently they've been known to destroy buttons easily.

The first obvious question is if the above is true. Secondly, how many of those sequences exist? Are those present in both MGS2 and MGS3? I have heard that the HD Remasters nerfed these, but I don't have the means to try said Remasters.

I wanted to try these games relatively soon-ish, but the above makes me want to leave them for dead last (at least where my PS2 list is concerned), since I only have one working controller.

976What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 10, 2022 9:42 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

There is only one mashing sequence in 2 and none in 3. I beat MGS2 HD con normal Extreme and it wasn't that bad, but in the one for PS2 you have to mash pretty hard for something like a minute straight and can be brutal (even with the trick where you look away). That sequence is at the end of the game, but keep in mind that you only unlock Euro Extreme after one/two playthroughs (don't remember exactly, I think you have to beat both Normal and Hard), so you'll still get some mileage out of the game before that since the sequence gets harder on higher difficulties.
There are some tricks to do it more easily, like using a pen or a spoon, but I don't know how much they could help. Ultimately it boils down to how fast of a masher you are.
It shouldn't destroy your controller unless you really force it, but if you aren't sure then you could still start with MGS3.

977What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 10, 2022 5:39 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Good to know that there's only one mashing sequence, but more than a minute? That's an awfully long time to mash a button, especially if you have to do it as fast as you can. Never heard of the pen/spoon method, not sure how you'd set that up.

Guess I should try MGS3 first, just in case. Thanks for the info.

978What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

Yeah it makes no sense. Lots of people played all of Euro Extreme up to that point and just gave up because it was too difficult. MGS2's difficulties are interesting because they change lots of little stuff, not only enemy health and damage, including that sequence. Also now that I think about it, MGS3 is the only MGS (don't know about V) without a mashing sequence. The one in 4 is even longer but not as difficult.

>Never heard of the pen/spoon method
Simply put the controller on a flat surface and use a pen instead of your finger to press the triangle button. Some people find it faster. For the spoon you do the same thing but you slide the back of the spoon left and right of the button repeatedly while pressing it. I tried them but never found luck with those methods.

>Guess I should try MGS3 first
Might be a good idea. Mechanically it's similar to 2 and has some improvements but ultimately they have different design (3 is more open while 2 is more "Pacman stealth"), so going back to 2 shouldn't be a problem. It's also a prequel to the entire series and shouldn't be confusing (if you even care about the story).

979What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu May 12, 2022 6:41 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>MGS2's difficulties are interesting because they change lots of little stuff, not only enemy health and damage, including that sequence.
Sweet. Love it when games do this.

>Simply put the controller on a flat surface and use a pen instead of your finger to press the triangle button.
I wonder how this would work out in one of those mashing minigames from the Mario Party games. If it works there, I guess it should work in Euro Extreme as well, unless the latter is in a whole different league (and that would be silly).

>good idea to start with 3
Then that settles it. I'll try MGS3 whenever I get the chance.

>story
Generally don't care about it, but then again, I sometimes see people comparing the series' lore to KH's in terms of how convoluted they can get, so I'm kind of curious about this. But if it starts getting boring, I will be skipping cutscenes from that moment onwards.

980What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Mopping up some final Nier Automata stuff.

The mechanics and movement are good but you get so powerful. In my normal mode playthroufh without serious grinding stuff could still hit hard.

Not going to bother playing the story mode ever again. Had way too many points that sucked.
I'll revisit the arena though.

Going to start a Hyrule Warriors AoC thread. I got the first game but I start AoC on the demo first. They're really different though so it doesn't matter which you play first.

981What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Personally I will say this regarding MGS, the story is excellent if a bit drawn out. I couldn't stomach the story of Kingdom Hearts starting from 2, but honestly MGS is such a layered series with so many great characters and plots and messages...I would recommend watching and listening to it all if only once in your life.

I really took a month out of my gaming calendar to play MGS2 properly the first time and I still think back to those days honestly. Very memorable playthrough.

982What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I've now beat doppelganger Samanosuke in Genma Onimusha and got "invited" to the dark realm by the hanging man.

I'm in the mood for some good shooting action so I've started Painkiller for the first time and I've beaten the first level, on nightmare difficulty (second highest).

In the first level you get 2 weapons, the shotgun, and the "Painkiller", which is also the weapon you are starting with. It has unlimited ammo, and it's really fun to use, almost feels like a tool in an action game.

It has 3 functions: a melee attack (spinning blades), a whip like attack which you can use to pull enemies towards you, and a third attack: Using the spinning blades and then throwing them like a projectile that also gets back to you. It's very powerful, and when used right you can also line up multiple enemies and kill them with one throw.

I'm also surprised by how good it looks thanks to the strong art style, and the music is also great and plays well into the fast paced combat.

983What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:16 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War

Crimson: >finished the NUR+
SWFU1 VH, is it?

>challenges/trials
I have almost no memory at all of those.

>platforming one
Hmmm?  Is this SWFU1 or SWFU2?  I never played the bonus stuff with the latter.  Despised what happened to it (thanks to that clown Lucas).

>Endor
Definitely not the first.  I wouldn't have minded getting a chance to kill another furball or two (aside from Han who is definitely getting retired early *no emo kid for you*).

>bosses are total shit
Love to hear it.  Leia was a good time, too?  Even if trash, slapping her shit would please me.  Had it only been in the superior original.

>bit longer
I remember basically nothing.  Doubt it made good use of the environment above before diving into the base (looking largely the same as most other zones at that point).

>some good tricks
Oh?

>environmental abuse
That good shit.  I fancied attacking through walls, but not just with melee, but locking on before getting behind cover...or using an exploit to lock-on through the wall without exposing myself at all.  Especially effective with Grip.

>Mind Trick isn't capable enough for NUR+
Shame.

>melee is underwhelming
As ever.  Force Unleashed was always more about the Magic than the Might.  NFR+ NUR+ was nightmarish at times (like Kazdan Paratus).

>string into launcher
Yeah, I even upgrades didn't let you do on-demand enders in the first (at least give us a launcher).  This is the thing that gets the GoWII BoO made fun of in particular.  I have this long start-up for my held heavy input with a bunch of other shit I DO NOT WANT.  Unlike Might (GoW1), I can't avoid this flailing shit even slightly (let alone chain into other stuff to give it depth).  The move doesn't hit hard enough or do something valuable enough to put up with.

You need a bug exploited to make it not total garbage owing to this and how it auto-rises without i-frames or the option to cancel normally (pretty sure it also attacks when at the top, but I never finish the move *so I've lost some recollection of how it was*).  With CC, you can escape the moment the launch makes contact to enable juggles and OH as set-ups off it (a bit later if you want air OS *though you can just hop into it otherwise*).

NOTE: A big piss-off in SWFU1 was air grabs ONLY working off the strings (NG shit as with Izuna Drop).  Fucking hated that.  SWFU2's demo having air grabs working independently was a huge improvement.  One of the few nice things I can say.

>instant launcher in the sequel
Can't say this rings any bells.

>ground grab
Hmmm?  I remember the downed stab.  A sort of CS grab, I suppose (working the downed state).  I'm not recalling proper Tekken style floored state grapples.  I forget if Wolverine had this for real.  Probably not (just mixing it up with Tekken in my head thanks to the Giant Swing).  Still sad that Kratos never got such a tool even with new weapons and/or upgrades.  Being able to punish wake-up (or Oki) in such a fashion for especially armored types would be delightful.  Surprised Derek hasn't put that into Nu-GoW to give it more depth to make-up for the other dorks fucking things up for his hard work.  I wonder if he's even still on the project. Poor bastard.

>very imprecise
How does it compare to the original?  I was able to get used to that fuckery with practice.

>unrefined
THE GLITCH UNLEASHED, bae-bae.

>opinion on Wolverine
I'm sad to say I didn't get around to higher run work with it.  I don't think I even got around to a VH playthrough in vanilla (or the trials).  I'd done extensive demo testing.  Not sure if my reports still exist.  Probably all on lost ProBoards forums (like much of my Dead Space, Infamous, SWFU, etc. coverage).  I know I would have gone over it at gow3forums, but that is also gone.  GFAQs...?  Maybe.  Probably not so much.  After a brief check, I'm going to say my thoughts are lost to time for the most part.  A pity.  It would be a struggle, but if you want to try going over it (still), then I can make the effort.

>skeptical about Lunge
It dominates as you suspect.

Ranger: >relying more on the melee
While somehow nerfing it to put over 'rage' (even while having two sabers we're not too capable).

>heard good things
Shall I tell you some bad things to balance that out?

Birdman: >played for 20m
Sure hope that was a demo.

>don't remember a thing
Do you remember it being bizarre to get a feel for given it is an Action title where the melee is secondary?

984What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:58 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes demo.

While I haven't played much of the fist game I can still note some major differences.

Characters feel really slow in FEW2. You can't cancel out of their strong attack finishers unless you use character switch while paired up.

They've added a lot of RPG stuff I assume is from Three Houses. Like you have this village hub where you can upgrade the facilities, give gifts to characters to raise bonds, talk to people, merchants. Similar to DQH2.

There are classes and any character can use them. More abilities per character.

Still has the weak point gauge from HW/FEW.

985What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
A-Rank

Started Vanquish on Hard. Am on 3-2. Pretty fun so far and there are some things to play around with, but I'm confused as to why is considered the best PG game by some. Maybe I just need to play around with it more. So far I'm just abusing the slowmo as much as possible. Using the machine gun melee to follow up with a slowmo is pretty great. Also for being Hard mode is too easy. I'm sure God Hard will rehumble me however.

986What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Vanquish's difficulty curve is wack, you've basically got:
Auto-plays the game for you (automatic easy)
Ultra Easy (easy)
Very easy (normal)
Easy (hard)
Ultra Extreme Master Ninja (God Hard)

God Hard and the game's Challenge Maps really put the game on its head. It's a bit like Halo in that sense, on lower settings the mechanics don't even come into play, on higher settings it's a fucking dream to play since you suddenly have to really dig into the meat of things.

The game also has a ton of little tricks you can do and really unique and fun weapons (LFE, disc launcher) with really unique enemies that play on delimb-systems. My general recommendation is to play the game on God Hard at least twice, since the first run is probably very rough.

> on topic
Just started playing Control (gift from a friend for my birthday), so far it's pretty interesting!

987What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:17 am

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Finished Prey 2017 + Mooncrash DLC, good games. Love all the creative ways you can deal with obstacles, the gloo gun is a standout of course. Great setting and story too. Weakest part of the game is the balancing, but if you do a challenge run or install a rebalance mod (there's at least one that I saw) it wouldn't be too big of an issue. Definitely recommended.

Finally returning to NGB, I am much better at action games now than the last time I tried it so I'm not doing nearly as bad. Just finished the underground aqueduct, cool level. Love how aggressive the enemies are, bosses are kinda wacky though. Kinda getting beat up a bit on Normal so IDK how harder difficulties will go haha.

988What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:39 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> Prey
Absolutely fantastic game, agreed. Really liked the Q-beam as well in how it handled damage to health, making it a fantastic tool. Did a NUR at one point which was pretty enjoyable too. Ironically, despite playing it to hell and back, I barely remember a thing of the game. Not sure as to why.

> NGB
Hard is a decent jump in difficulty, but Very Hard is the biggest leap. Master Ninja is harder, but it feels more like a natural progression. Godly game tho

989What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:09 am

GN1

B-Rank

Always glad to see people praising Prey, I've only finished it once but it's definitely one of those games that I need to replay. Still haven't got to Mooncrash, how was it compared to the main game? Also, that intro still sticks with me.

Balancing in this type of games is always a problem because you can easily become overpowered, same thing can happen in Deus Ex and Dishonored. IIRC the enemy types don't evolve enough while your abilities do, but it's been a while since I last played any of them so I might be misremembering things.

NGB - you are getting close to the end so you must be doing well, the higher difficulties are a real treat imo.

990What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:12 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>NGB
I went on Ebay to find this. The game itself is cheap enough (around $30 US) but I was told by a seller from Canada it would cost $100 to ship. What?

>now playing
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. So much better than the first game in terms of combat but the RPG shit sucks. Like bonds, upgrading camp.

991What are you playing right now? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:43 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

GoW1. I was trying to beat the clones without upgrades or magic, but they're as insane as people have said. If, after a couple more tries, I'm still unable to get past the process of emptying the second spawn pool, I'll leave it for later (definitely don't want to give up on it entirely).

-------
Since too many posts were made, this topic has been divided automatically. You can find the rest of this topic here :
https://stinger.actieforum.com/t794-what-are-you-playing-right-now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum