Birdman
Dan.A
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hey lads Empty Hey lads Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Dan.A

Dan.A
D-Rank

Hey all. If I had known that there was a forum for an informative, solid site like this with like-minded persons, I would have checked in sooner.

My name is Daniel (I go by Dan) and it's nice to be here. Since we all enjoy the gaming world (I'm a particular fan of action games and turn-based rpgs, but I can enjoy most of anything - boss fights are my favorite aspect of games so I apologize for all of the shilling I do for that content should I go about it), it wouldn't be much of a surprise to mention that, so some information about myself:

-I'm a former English Language Arts teacher and I currently work several jobs, usually as a freelance editor/writer or tutor for whomever finds usage. In other words, I'm a typewriting chimpanzee and it's my curse.

-I'm a big combat sports fan even if it's a different sort of niche. But, I'm also a little different with my fandom as I also write articles that break down techniques and skills of fighters/fights. I will also usually link fights on my twitter and offer some textual commentary on some events (usually UFC). I do have some unpaid professional published work on MMA fighters and their skillsets on my blog. My goal is to eventually get paid for it as a passion hobby. Most of my peers/friends on social media are also professional analysts, but have started up their own site that covers a wide array of content. If you ever want to know more about certain face-punching things or just want fighter/fight recommendations, feel free to ask.

-I can be a little authentic and blunt and tend to wear my heart on my sleeve a lot. Fortunately, I think I'm good at avoiding issues with it.

-Feel free to mock me to your heart's content. I honestly appreciate it when people give me a hard time. I tend to enjoy hyperbolic, absurdist humor with a tint of dryness to it.

If you bothered reading all of the drab features of my said person, all I can say is that I'm sorry, but I appreciate it and look forward to talking with you. I'd just have rather make a post like this before I randomly jump into a random thread, Would have seemed a tad bit rude.

Cheers all.

2Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:31 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Welcome.

I did Muay Thai for a few years. Wanted to continue but hurt my shoulder.

3Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:47 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

Welcome to the site! There is also an introduction topic in the General Discussion section but that's fine. I can't really think of anything right now. Although that is some really cool info!

4Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:45 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Fantastic to see you here man! I'm curious, what's Language Arts entail. The art of language, or the language of the arts? Pretty interested in your fighting-articles as well. Did that interest appeal you more to action-games or vice-versa?

Enfin, be welcome!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5Hey lads Empty hyperbolt of lightning Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 am

Dan.A wrote: I tend to enjoy hyperbolic, absurdist humor with a tint of dryness to it.

That's what I am all about! But they *pointing fingers* take it in all seriousness!
Can you believe that?!

6Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Dan.A

Dan.A
D-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Fantastic to see you here man! I'm curious, what's Language Arts entail. The art of language, or the language of the arts? Pretty interested in your fighting-articles as well. Did that interest appeal you more to action-games or vice-versa?

The other thing you should know is that I'm never concise and it's a big problem, but here's the answer to those questions:

English Language Arts (or ELA) is basically Literature/Reading/Writing classes of the sort. For the sake of those who may not be from America, it means I basically am leading reading literature and instructing writing mechanics. However, the actual, real-life applicable skill that ELA classes are trying to teach is critical thinking, which is...for the lack of a better term, easier said than done, but I'd rather avoid going full cynical about it. Point is, the idea is to facilitate discussion and thinking outside the box about subjects/ideas/whatnot. This means ELA can offer some of the more broad, interesting exchanges of ideas in education, but it really requires strict planning and knowledge of the content as opposed to other core subjects (mathematics, science, history, etc.).

As for fighting stuff, well, I discovered it all around 2014 after spending a day on YT and when I find something interesting or different than what I know, I'm the kind to try to understand it because it interests me. People who get interested in it will be attracted to that gladiatorial spectacle and it's definitely not for everyone cause it does involve violence. But I did find two less "just bleed" reasons for watching it:
1) I think it's among the rawest and bravest things I've seen people do. Even if a lot of fighters can be as terrible as any athlete, there is something inspiring about putting themselves through arduous circumstances that are high risk, high reward that just leaves me in a state of awe. My goal has sort of become to document and appreciate what they do sacrifice for entertainment, but also what they achieve competitively.
2) Although I've never trained, I've self-taught myself through lots of practice to be able to study and breakdown tape on fights and recognize what guys are doing and how they're doing it. It's allowed me to appreciate these sports even more because I recognize the craft and decision making that goes into it is very interesting. There are people better than I at it, but they've told me I'm pretty good at it, so it's pretty flattering to know that.

It isn't my favorite interest though. I don't really have a favorite as opposed to many favorites. I think, because combat in games appealed to me and understanding why I was having fun also allowed me to enjoy that scientific aspect to fighting more. Vice versa, yes, cause I think being a better analyst for combat sport technique has allowed me to think more keenly about aspects of games too. I'd say I like them by a comparable amount, but I would say, with confidence, that I'm way more of an expert with combat sports than video game analytics.

If you want to see my combat sports writing, here's a guest post I published on a site (many much better analysts write on there) that is among my best work: https://www.thefight-site.com/home/guest-post-calvin-kattar-vs-shane-burgos-in-the-eye-of-a-hurricane

I am very blunt with my takes on combat sports though - it's a niche with an unfathomable amount of bad opinions because a lot of people don't really understand what they're watching, even if they have a platform. Still, I know a lot and am constantly looking to know more with my own research and learning more from those who have trained/are better analysts. I've also taught some others how to do this - I think anyone can really do it, just requires effort. Still, we watch it because we love it.

My Video Game opinions and perspectives will not nearly be as good unfortunately.

Point is, I have too many interests and someone needs to stop me.

7Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:54 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>ENG
At least that means you won't be ESL.

>analysis
I'm looking forward to it (for vidya gaems).

>boss preference
Understandable (though neat combat scenarios can exist outside them to be sure). Any particulars (examples, types, etc.) you like (or dislike)?

>needs to stop you
>mock me, Daddy GMG
Hear that, Ranger Danger? Danny Boy wants to learn GoW proper.

>apologizing
Leave it to the soon-to-be-raked.

>turn-based RPGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6L9bUouDr8&t=6m

8Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 pm

Dan.A

Dan.A
D-Rank

GodModeGOD wrote:>ENG
At least that means you won't be ESL.

ESL isn't inherently a bad thing, plus there were way too many other obstacles/training procedurals to even make me want to go that route. I'd be bad at it. It doesn't matter at this point though. I found that teaching wasn't for me and, in a bittersweet way, I've learned to be alright with that.

>analysis
I'm looking forward to it (for vidya gaems).

You'll be immensely disappointed, but I do my best and try to explain my perspective. I am by no means an expert though.

>boss preference
Understandable (though neat combat scenarios can exist outside them to be sure).  Any particulars (examples, types, etc.) you like (or dislike)?

Hmm, for me it's a matter of asking the questions, "Did you challenge me here to actually play smart and good with the available mechanics?" and "Did I have fun in a 'Hey, I figured this out sense'?" I think, if I were to narrow it down, I enjoy the ones that can be progressional and dynamic, very aggressive, etc. I can enjoy scripted movesets as long as they're punishing and require my input to handle. Sometimes certain creativity is cool as well.

Of the top of my head I think my favorites are:
-God Hand's "Azel"
-MGS3's "The End"
-DMC1's "Nelo Angelo", DMC3's "Vergil", DMC4's "Credo"
-KH2's "Sephiroth", "Lingering Will", some of the Data Org. KH3's Data Org. and "Yozora"
-Vanqush's Dual Bogeys
-NG2's "Fiend Genshin"
-Furi's "The Burst", "The Edge", "The Flame" and "Bernard"
-Many SMT bosses
There are plenty of others. These are more recent memory save Genshin.

Ones I hate though? I find particular antipathy for the persons who placed unskippable minute long sections in-between gameplay (I can tolerate around 20ish sec tops) is some philistine of the highest order. Or those that have severe inconsistencies. I don't mind unpredictability to a fault - it's when it makes no sense and becomes more luck-based with too much stacked against what you can do (Fighting Game bosses such as SNK, that Eternal Champion, and General from Kaiser Knuckle - esp. the last one) and unreliable.

>needs to stop you
>mock me, Daddy GMG
Hear that, Ranger Danger?  Danny Boy wants to learn GoW proper.

Oh god. I haven't played those in ages and the recent one wasn't to my fancy either.  I have wanted to go back to them for awhile. I have fond memories of 2 in particular. But absolutely, any and all information from someone whom has a plethora of knowledge and enthusiasm for the old ones (I take it?) is very welcome.

>apologizing
Leave it to the soon-to-be-raked.

Phenomenal. Can't wait.

>turn-based RPGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6L9bUouDr8&t=6m

Oh man. I knew my galaxy-brained hipster opinions would get me killed one day.

Re GOW: Are there any good articles or readings on the older games in your experience? It's definitely a franchise I wish I had given a better chance and have always wanted to learn more.

Thanks.

9Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:29 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>not inherently bad
It is for communication.

>not an expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUoBkhTFdWA&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJlxe5zugh4&t=51m51s

>challenge you to
As in provide sufficient pushback against dumb play (or just make dumb play waste a lot more time, resources, etc.) in the form of kicking your teeth in?

>aggressive
Reactionary, then. The list backs this.

>luck-based
Some of these DOOM wads I've been seeing wouldn't be your favorites, then.

>recent one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hes2vpuLhwY&t=14s

>plethora of knowledge/enthusiasm
You will see for yourself before long, friend.

>articles
I ain't about it. Just run work. If you want to go over the matter in that fashion, check with Li'l Ray.

>better chance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1N7FdJL8M&t=1m25s

>always wanted to learn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw&t=1m3s

10Hey lads Empty Re: Hey lads Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>My name is Daniel

Oh, nice. We share the same name.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]