You are not connected. Please login or register

The Surge 2

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Surge 2 Empty The Surge 2 Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:06 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

So the game just came out today, and I decided to give it a run for myself. After 1.5 hours, here are some initial impressions/observations.

- Character customization is fairly basic, a bit better than Destiny's

- Fits pretty neatly into the "Eurojank" archetype

- As expected, it's not as polished as the Souls series or Nioh (Art direction, animations)

- Performance is rather questionable on an i3-8100 and RX 570. I dropped it to 900p, and was fine, but you'll probably want to wait for a few patches

- The level design's kinda cluttered, has a lot of shortcuts, decently vertical and is pretty mazey, I found it kinda fun despite all that

- You can target limbs, and then focus damage on them to chop them off

- Targeting unarmoured limbs = More damage

- Chopping off limbs = Getting blueprint for armour on that part, so there's a bit of a risk-reward dynamic: Go for the easy, efficient kill, or try and get access to new armour?

- You can also get their weapons by chopping off their limbs, I think

- The devs seem to really like their slow motion kills

- They're reasonably well animated, and I don't mind the closer shot, but I would prefer less slow-mo

- You have a drone that can do a number of things, like shoot the enemy, set down a mine, throw an explosive, give you buffs, set down a turret, etc

- You can use the Drone's attacks to hit the targeted limbs from a distance

- Has a parry system reminiscent of For Honour: Block, and then flick the right analogue stick in the direction that the enemy is attacking from. You can choose to have indicators, or not. I sometimes found it pretty confusing as to which direction they're attacking from, so I kept them on

- You can also just hit dodge without moving the analogue stick to duck their attack, and then counter (Not as strong as a parry)

- Dodging is definitely not the main focus of the combat, it's mainly about parrying/countering

- Certain enemies can go into a "berserker" mode where they're more aggressive, stronger, and tankier, it's pretty neat

- There can be a lot of tracking on enemies

- RPG aspects are definitely pretty major, but they give you a nice amount of customization, for what it's worth

The parrying/ducking system was something I found pretty neat. And you can parry most things, even large robots and giant double-bladed axes. Unlike a certain game based on Norse mythology that came out in 2018.

I had quite a bit of fun with the game for the short time I've played it so far, and I'm probably gonna keep it. I doubt you guys would like it as much, though.

2The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I only watched someone play the first game and only ever heard terrible things about it. Surprised it's getting a sequel if it was as bad as they claimed.

Aside from drones, are there any ranged weapons for your character? I remember there being no ranged options in the first game.

3The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:07 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Not as far as I saw.

4The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:45 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

I played the first game for a bit hoping to get into the series because the sequel looked cool.
In the first game you could turn off all slow motion animations in the options, I did that immediately. Did they remove that?

Sent from Topic'it App

5The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:48 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

hedfone wrote:I played the first game for a bit hoping to get into the series because the sequel looked cool.
In the first game you could turn off all slow motion animations in the options, I did that immediately. Did they remove that?

Sent from Topic'it App

That, I don't know. I'll have to check.

6The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Always interesting to read some good quality notes on a new title. Never dove into the first game myself, only watching a few and far between runs, but nothing big or anything. I'm mostly interested in the delimb mechanics, do enemies change at all when you cut a limb off i.e. they become passive, get different movesets or something similar?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:47 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Always interesting to read some good quality notes on a new title. Never dove into the first game myself, only watching a few and far between runs, but nothing big or anything. I'm mostly interested in the delimb mechanics, do enemies change at all when you cut a limb off i.e. they become passive, get different movesets or something similar?

The delimbing is the kill animation. It's not like in Ninja Gaiden 2 where you randomly delimb people, and then can execute them: You target the limb, and then as you keep damaging it, eventually a prompt comes up (Like God of War), where you can dismember, and kill the enemy.

8The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:53 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

hedfone wrote:I played the first game for a bit hoping to get into the series because the sequel looked cool.

Sent from Topic'it App
It's still there. I decided to turn it off too.

9The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:52 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

More info about the game:

- The first major boss, Little Johnny, is basically Blade Wolf in terms of his role: He's meant to teach you the importance of parrying, and it's definitely the way you're supposed to win... Not just wait whenever he slams down to whack him.

- He's a pretty good boss fight overall; You really need to be able to consistently parry (3 times in a row in order to knock him down). It's not that hard, but if you lose your rhythm, you're dead.

- If you went for the bosses front claws, and dismembered them, you're given an extra weapon. Kinda like the Bell Gargoyles in Dark Souls.

- Timing your button presses correctly when attacking means that you'll consume less stamina, so I'm definitely gonna have to take some time to learn each weapon

10The Surge 2 Empty Re: The Surge 2 Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:11 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Some more notes:

- The game isn't actually purely about the parry: I got that wrong. However, it is much more emphasized than in Souls, since you can actually fucking do it against almost any enemy. I don't recommend using against all of them though, since that would get boring.

- Now that I started dodging more, I just realized how stupidly fast it is. It's faster than even Bloodborne's.

I gotta say, I'm a pretty big fan of this game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum