Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

So I started a new run, the idea is to not upgrade any of the Legions, the Legionis and your weapon. The first weapon upgrade is forced, so I will be using the Gladius that upgrade gives you, and you cannot really avoid health-upgrades due to how the system works.

I just beat File 5 so I'm not too far in, but it's interesting to play these chapters anew without a worry for rank, Red Matter Collection percentage etc. Not being able to rely on Skills like Slow Shot, Round Swords etc. really helps you appreciate the combat more as well. In my main playthrough I barely attack myself, while here I'm doing a lot more work. Meter-management also is a lot more important, a single charged Bullet Time Arrow shot takes 99 meter and Blade Mode something similar, so you're always on the hunt for Red Matter mid combat.

What mostly took my attention though is how easy it is to absolutely melt things. You can buy Spicy Cobra (50%+ Attack) as early as File 2, same with grenades. And Fishy Water soon after (+100% Attack, +10% Crit, -30% Defense).

For the first big foe in File 2 I started with a grenade to knock him back. Then another while he was grounded, popped a Spicy Cobra, chained him up, attack him from behind with the Baton and Legion and as he escaped threw another grenade and chained him up again. Dead in seconds.

File 3 boss, Arrow Nemesis, died quickly to Fishy Water + Gladius in the air, killed it in 59 seconds.

For the File 4 boss, that giant plant, I started with Arrow Legion going wild on his face while I chugged grenades. As it fell to the ground I popped Fishy Water, threw the Gun Turret out (you get one from saving an ally earlier) and attacked with Arm Legion. Dead in less than a minute as well.

A lot of the fights really revolve around resource management now. I mostly use Blade Mode to avoid attacks currently.

Absolutely fantastic game. Doing the run on PT Standard right now, since I can't do it on PT Ultimate yet.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

No more items for you!

You sound like me with CL. Next you can try single legion runs.

3No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
A-Rank

I only used healing items for my first run, didn't use any of the weapons (drones/grenades) or the buffs. I feel like I've been conditioned to avoid as many items as possible during my time playing action games.

A NUR for this game sounds really challenging, I had enough trouble with all of my upgrades! I think you can be excused for using items in a NUR Razz

4No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I think the items really play into this game well, there's even a score-reward for it. I think it will even out more near the end, I'm very curious how Noah Prime will play even with potions to boost my attack.

About the conditioning, I've actually just had a talk with a guy on Reddit about this. And I do feel that's a shame. It took players nearly 2 years to start using grenades etc. in MGR:R for this reason, because there's a stigma surrounding it. What surprised me is that in games like Ninja Gaiden it tends to be "just use whatever you have".

5No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

I need this game! Love the thought of being able to tear through it during a NUR.

6No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:27 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Get it man, seriously.

7No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I sold a pile of PS4 games I'll never touch again and bought this today with the credit. It's getting kind of hard to find so better safe than sorry. Still saving for a Switch.

8No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:07 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>NUR
Speaking my language. I've only really seen glitching techniques (and early tech) thus far.

9No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The game doesn't have a lot of hidden features. FusionCanceling is tops and most don't even know how that works, not a lot of high level players touched it sadly. Only me and Miduki (whose video is already extremely dated). Most others just go for spin-to-win or mashing Gladius which is horrid.

10No Upgrade Run Empty Re: No Upgrade Run Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:49 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

>few high level players joining in the hunt at the vanguard
Yes, yes. I know this pain well. Almost nobody ran a fair few titles I enjoyed. You can guess at a few.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum