Royta/Raeng
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

51Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

The above is from a new game with the starting Refector with 3 hits to its string when unupgraded.

I just started NG+ on my Switch version. In this file I upgraded the Reflector combo once. This adds one more hit.
When I got to the first imp fight, the stuff in my precious post did not work. There was no stun after the 3rd hit.

All 4 hits kill a green imp, so I tested on the slightly stronger red imp. Same thing with the 3rd hit BUT the 4th stunned them. Also, whiffing the first 3 and connecting with the 4th stuns both.

Not sure what's going on here exactly. Why would the 3rd hit not stun when upgraded?

I have this idea that the last hit on any string is considered a 'finisher' which has the stun property attached.

So every time you upgrade the string and raise the number of hits, the finisher gets pushed to the last hit. That's why the 3rd hit stopped stunning and the 4th started. And why the 4th alone stuns.

It could also be the case that it IS about damage but only how much you do in a single hit. I totally forgot I have a few stronger weapons carried over so I'll test those too.

I've got an early NG save so I'll load that and check if the whiffing the first 2 hits and landing the 3rd stuns. That should confirm it. But if it doesn't stun, I'm not sure what that means.

Also will need to get further upgrades and see if the finisher always gets pushed to the final hit.

Regarding others, Waka (a boss) can be stunned from normal hits. The hits do not need to be consecutive. I think in his case it's about damage because the signs point to that. But I need to test it again.

52Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Ok I've figured it out.

Whenever you upgrade and get an extra hit, the new add on becomes the finisher. I bought the final upgrade which raises it to 5 hits. Now the 4th doesn't stun anymore. The 5th does.

Looks like that's all there is to it. Found some other cool stuff while testing this too. When ypu go from 3 to 4 hits, the 3rd causes a different hit animation on green imps where they spin in place. When you upgrade from 4 to 5, 4 changes to cause this spin too. Doesn't work on red imps. Should work on any green imp equivalent.

Also, green and red imps start to spin away from you when you attack when they're at somewhere under half their HP. A little more than half I think. When they get really low they'll try to spin away from every hit it seems. Still looking into this.

53Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:49 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

There are still people on this board who have not played Okami. Disgusting.

So it looks like every enemy might have a stun JUST from physical attacks.

I've worked out the two basic imps. Tested on the yellow imp (that's the big one with the drum) and the rules are different.

It will never be stunned from basic weapon attacks no matter how many hits.
You need to stun it through one of the other means first.

It burrows underground then pops up beside you. You need to get behind it before it pops up, which will have it look around confused and be drained of color. Or when it stuns itself after using its drum cannon.

It's only in this colorless stun state that you can cause a stun with weapons, or at least with the Reflector. Haven't tested Glaives yet.

And you need to start attacking early of you won't get to the finisher before stun runs out.
Once you knock it down with the final hit, if you wanted to you could whiff the first hits and just connect with the last to knock it down but this is a waste of time. Just interesting that it's possible.

Better to just Power Slash when it's stunned than any of the above.
This was tested with a Reflector upgraded to 4 hits. Still need to test the base 3 hits. Final is 5. Not sure there's enough time to get to the final hit.

I believe I know the purpose of setting Ninetail's tail on fire. It has an attack where it stabs all of its tails into the ground then they stab up from underneath you. I wasn't paying much attention when I did this fight recently, but I think I saw only one tail come up when it did this move after I burnt the other tails. This would be the one tail you can't burn (the middle one). I've got another file outside Ark of Yamato for the boss rush so I'll test this soon.

54Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:28 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> haven't played okami
> disgusting
I feel personally attacked Sad

https://stinger.actieforum.com

55Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:18 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Well look if the shoe fits, nothing to do with me. I'm just stating a reality. I don't make the rules.

Though I'm just as bad having barely touched the NG series.

56Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:57 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Glaive works the same way. Charged final hit works too.

Glaive on sub is an instant stun on aforementioned imps. Same rules apply for the drum imp.

Every time I see this game I want to buy it. Like for the Series S so I have a file absolutely everywhere.

57Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:47 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I have that with MGR:R for some reason, I own it basically in every form and fashion now.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

58Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:43 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

My main files are PS2 and PS4. PS4 is my best one because my Thief Glove is almost maxed. I don't know if I'd ever go back to the PS2 version.

I will never touch the PS3 version. No point. Doesn't have the skippable dialogue and scenes.

Switch version has been the most useful other version I bought due to being able to play it anywhere. Still building a perfect file.

59Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:30 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I've got a ton of videos dealing with the melee hit properties but keep forgetting to upload.

60Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:53 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

On YT? I'd be interested in watching these, in the event that the next game I get to play is this one (but even so, having the vids up would still be welcome *again, assuming you're talking about YT*).

61Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>on YT?
No. I don't really use it anymore.

Might someday but for now I already have other Okami stuff on Twitter and don't want yo split it up.

I don't like this video format though so if I get a better PC someday I'll redo everything in larger videos, possibly with commentary.

62Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:44 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>not on YT
Twitter, then? Not sure if you gave me a link to yours (and if you did, not sure where you shared it). Mind if I ask for it? I'm getting pretty interested in playing Okami very soon, so your videos could be of help.

63Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

64Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:52 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Thanks a lot. If I have any questions (which I will), I'll be sure to come to you.

Note: Is there a way to see a certain type of content (like Okami, and nothing else), or if something is too old, would people need to scroll through a lot of posts to find what they want?

65Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:13 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

You can use the search bar when on someone's profile but you can only use keywords. I tried it just now and it finds posts where I've said 'Okami', but that's it. None of the posts were videos. This is because I don't give them titles, I just start talking about what's happening in the video.

I don't have that much content so it should only take like 10 seconds of scrolling to find the last Okami video I posted. Then it's just Okami stuff after that for a while.

66Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:21 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

^ Noted. I'll keep that in mind when I have some free time to go over your content.

I meant to start some run in FFX, but seeing as most of it is filled with luck-based stuff (both the fights and hoping to get equipment drops), I decided to leave it for later.

So, from this moment (well, technically this next weekend), I'll be focusing solely on Okami. Expect some exchanges about it, starting (hopefully) on Saturday. Is there any advice you want to give me before starting? If not, I'll just play it a bit to familiarize myself with the basics, then I can ask questions later.

67Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:24 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

The game isn't really hard. Everything is easy to do. You should be fine.

68Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>everything is easy
You weren't lying (not that I believed you were, of course).

I got past a spider boss, and saved some dog.

Been mostly using the bomb technique, and to a lesser extent the slash one. Mixing up some melee in-between when I run out of ink. Trying to avoid item usage, but as I had alluded to, the game has been pretty easy, so I don't even need these.

Got a new weapon from the spider boss, as well. I'll check out what it does later. Went to the dojo and learned three techniques (I learned the third one recently, I acquired the first two much earlier). Final one is really expensive.

This isn't to say that I haven't died though, but that was because I held back as much as I could (tried to see how many attacks I was able to block or dodge, which didn't go all that well).

Also, on a side note, what are the parallels that people bring up when mentioning Zelda and this game? I only played OoT (as far as 3D titles go), and I don't see that many similarities. Increasing your maximum health doesn't even work like in Zelda. Don't remember if there was aerial combat in OoT, just some slash that puts you back on the ground. I've been spending far more time in the overworld than in 'dungeons'. Brush antics are also an obvious thing to point out. I did get a weapon from a boss, but I already had other weapons before facing this boss, and even then, you don't get stuff in Zelda after killing a boss, you get those at some point during the dungeon, but not when you actually kill the boss (at least, this has been the case so far).

69Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:42 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Easy
What makes it easy is you get so many safety nets. Items, Godhood, Astral Pouch.

Godhood is a shield generated by your hit count. Has three levels, so that's three hits that won't damage you if it's at max.

Astral Pouch revives you upon death if full. You fill it by collecting food. You can upgrade this to have 3 revives.

Then there's healing items, infinite ink item.

>comparisons to Zelda
Because they're stupid and think puzzles=Zelda. In TP they think Wolf Link makes it similar because Okami has a wolf.
As for actual mechanics, these fools are dead silent.

70Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 01, 2023 2:02 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>Items, Godhood, and Astral Pouch
Ah, of course. Still, my experience hasn't been terribly difficult so far, so I assumed that the game in general was easy, even without those safety nets.

>generated by hitcount
You mean it's up whenever I get past a certain threshold?

>Astral Pouch
Recently filled it, but I won't go out of my way to play as careless as possible, just to use it.

>items
Haven't used these yet, though I should probably use a few (like Gold Dust) to see what it does.

>puzzles=Zelda
The comparisons I've heard so far are the following:

- Gamefeel is similar (...and that's it).
- Overworld exists.
- Forced Item descriptions for nearly everything you collect.
- And yeah, puzzles.

>TP
Didn't that one came out after Okami, though? Why do people even bring that up?
Or were they saying that TP was copying Okami?

>dead silent
Not surprising.

---------------------

Made a bit more progress for this weekend. Beat Crimson Helm, and got a few more brush techniques along the way. By the way, I found it a bit too much how you're granted so much protection for that fight. Even used them all up just to make sure that you could automatically negate so many hits.

I really need to experiment a bit more with weapons, though. It seems they have different effects if they're in the primary or secondary slot. Like I said, I've just been using brush techniques (bomb and slash, mostly). Still going to wait until I finish the game to check out your vids.

71Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 01, 2023 6:16 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>You mean it's up whenever I get past a certain threshold?
Yes. I think there's an item that restores it too.

>gold dust
That's a weapon upgrade. Just an attack power boost. Can only use one per weapon.

>gamefeel is similar?
Yet Okami, to me, feels nothing like Zelda.

>overworld exists
They may as well claim TLOU and RE4 are similar because guns.

>forced item
>puzzles
Superficial details.

>TP vs Okami
I don't know which came first, just that the comparison was made because wolves.

>Crimson Helm
They build him up to be so terrifying but he's just lol.

Satomi Power Orbs are lame and unnecessary.

>weapon slots
Put a Reflector on sub to get a shield that can block pretty much everything and counterattack some enemies.

Put Glaive on sub to get a dash attack.
Rosary because a projectile. Some are long range, while others are spread shots.

Have the same weapon type on main and sub increases their power.

72Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat May 06, 2023 3:38 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>item that restores it
I think so. For my first playthrough I decided to play the game in Spanish. Can choose to change it whenever I boot the game. 'Godhood' is one of the few things that got an accurate translation.

>just an attack power boost
Oh, I see. Also noticed that you can't buy as much of this as you want. I was only able to buy two from a man selling them.

>Yet Okami, to me, feels nothing like Zelda.
That makes two of us.

>TLoU and RE4
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an individual who made this comparison somewhere.

>just lol
Exactly.

>lame and unnecessary
Yeah, felt like they were too much when I got through that part. Hope there's nothing like this from now on (besides Godhood).

>block pretty much everything
So I have noticed.

>counter some enemies
I was just going to ask about this. I managed to do something that reminded me of an Izuna Drop from Ninja Gaiden to some bird enemy (near a city with a poison mist or something). Did quite a lot of damage. So they're enemy specific?

>Glaive and Rosary perks
Noted.

>damage boost
It does? Would have to try this later.

----------------------------

Played a bit yesterday and today. Got to a town where everyone is apparently dying from a mist. And here I thought the game was going to be extremely short, since I got to face Orochi (what I had assumed to be the 'big bad') much earlier than I thought I would. Was expecting him to be more threatening (I was caught by a few attacks from some of the heads, but I realized that I could exploit a specific one to get health drops, as I still didn't want to use healing items).

Made a few seconds long video. It's not about anything in particular. I think only GMG would get the joke, anyway.

https://youtu.be/StnOVXFQKHQ

Depending on whether I'm needed to work on something, I may or may not be able to keep playing for the rest of the day. Maybe not even tomorrow (at morning), but we'll see.

73Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat May 06, 2023 10:35 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>gold dust
There are other merchants who sell it. You might be able to find it somewhere too.  I can't remember.

>izuna
Enemy specific. And on some enemies it doesn't work on all their moves. Mainly projectiles or breath attacks
Also, for some of their moves it depends on how close you are. For example, that imp that has a drum and burrows underground. When it pops up it will hit its drum and send out a shockwave. Up close you can Izuna. At a distance you can only block.

If you block at the last second you can get a Demon Fang.

>fake ending
Yeah lots of people made this comment. I thought it was about to end too and was hugely disappointed. Was so happy it kept going.

Many complain the game is too long. Not me. I'm glad it's long.

74Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 08, 2023 4:06 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Don't have much time to give the update I wanted to make, but I made it as far as Kyubi. I had my suspicions about this Spanish translation, but Issun strongly implying that he's Yami solidifies it (unless he IS Yami, which I highly doubt).

The game has been getting more and more difficult, and thus, much more engaging. I'm glad I decided to not use items. It took me longer to properly read Kyubi's attacks than I'd like to admit (not his own brush techniques, I actually didn't get to see what they did), which costed me one use of the Astral Pouch. Not ideal, but perhaps this could be a chance to play without it now that it's empty again.

>imp can be Izuna'd
I didn't know that. Wasn't he one of the earliest mobs you can fight against? And I realized that this mechanic existed after getting rid of Orochi.

Either way, good to know (as well as the specifics).

>hugely disappointed
Well, if the game did end at Orochi, it would probably be one of the shortest games I've ever played. So on that front, I'm also glad it kept going (especially now that I'm finding it much more engaging, and that's without a full understanding of the game).

Oh, and before I forget, do you get some hidden attack boost the more you fight enemies? I haven't been able to make a proper comparison, but I'm somehow under the impression that a bomb did much less damage to a new enemy that the game introduced, and later I'm able to deal much more damage than what I used to inflict. This is pretty weird, but I could also be crazy.

75Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>cherry bomb damage
Probably just more susceptible to it.

Which enemy was it?

There's no mechanic like that outside if the Thief's Glove accessory which allows you to attack with Issun and gets permanently more powerful the more times you use it.

Earlier I mentioned equipping two of the same weapon type for an attack boost. I forgot to say you have to unlock this ability at the second dojo first.

76Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Tue May 09, 2023 2:04 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

So I got a day off, and could play this day as well. Finished the game. What I liked the most about it was how you could use the environment to your advantage, so you could use more attacks to harm enemies with. Also nice to see that there were elemental weaknesses (noticed it when I was fighting Orochi for the second time, but didn't note it). What I genuinely didn't like about it wasn't about the combat. It had to do with the unskippable cutscenes and dialogue.

Immediately went to your link. After scrolling through a few posts (may I ask if you're interested about drawing?), I found your posts about Okami. Coming from you, I knew I'd find neat tech I didn't use. Was not disappointed.

That said, it's getting late, so further watching will have to wait. Can't wait to see all the hidden stuff this game has to offer. And on that note, you said you still weren't done with your uploads, no?

>which enemy was it?
I think it was that blue enemy that changes its form when you hit it with an... element, I believe? I don't know its name. Would have to look through a wiki or something.

>permanently more powerful
I assume there's a cap for this.

>have to go to the dojo
Yeah, I noticed that when scrolling through the new techniques.

So Birdman, I vaguely remember an old post of yours where you said that... a certain kind of challenge run wasn't possible? Maybe due to the limited amount of ink, and that you needed more of it to get through a certain part? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And lastly, have you ever tried Okamiden? If so, how is it?

77Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Tue May 09, 2023 3:46 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>It had to do with the unskippable cutscenes and dialogue.
Get the HD version.

>drawing
Kind of. But I'm not good at it and none of the methods I've tried work for me.

>not done with uploads
Still have a lot more.

>blue enemy
Sounds like Blue Cyclops.

>I assume there's a cap for this.
Yes but it's extremely high. Gets to a point that it can one shot anything. Takes a very long time to grind.

>challenge run
It's possible. I've already done it.

>Okamiden
It's crappy. Very primitive movement like an old PS1 game. Limited combat. It's not even close to being as good as Okami.

78Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun May 14, 2023 7:11 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>HD version
This wouldn't happen to be available for the Wii, would it? Else, I'm stuck with the PS2 version.

>none of the methods work
That must be frustrating.

>a lot more
Looking forward to these.

>it can one shot anything
Sounds super silly. Though if I'm not mistaken, there's no way to bring Issun to the boss gauntlet at the end, no?

>possible
Oh, I see. What kind of run was it? NUR? What are the rules?

>not close to being as good
Guess that means I shouldn't bother.

-----------------------

Didn't have time to play this weekend. Had to attend family meetings. I did watch a few of your videos, but not all of them, since my Internet connection has been much, much worse than usual. Still, what I COULD watch, was pretty neat. However, I have one question. How can you put more than one bomb on the field? When I try to do so, the second one doesn't even spawn. Or do you need to set the first one off with water?

79Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 15, 2023 6:59 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>HD on Wii
Nope.

>must be frustrating
Was a little. But I don't care now.

>bring Issun into Ark of Yamato
Not possible.

>what kind of run?
No upgrades.
So starting ink, life, Astral Pouch, purse. No getting the big brush techs. No Gold Dust.

>multiple Cherry Bombs
It's an upgrade.

80Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 22, 2023 2:52 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Didn't have time to play, but I did see the majority of your vids. Really good stuff, not surprising that I missed out on a ton of these on my first playthrough. Can't wait to try these tricks.

>nope
Shame. So I'm stuck with the PS2 version for the time being.

Oh, and one more thing. I noticed that you can see Demon Fangs in the loading screen(s). Are those cosmetic, or do you actually get Demon Fangs for succeeding at those? I didn't check my inventory to see if you could get them this way.

>no getting big brush techs
Not sure what these are, but probably the things you used in your vids that I didn't know existed. How do you get these?

>no Gold Dust
Sounds like NUR+.

81Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 22, 2023 3:49 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Demon Fangs on loading screen
Yes you get them but it isn't worth it. The best way is using a Floral Finisher which is just attacking with certain Brush Techniques as they die.

>big brush techs
Big nuke spells basically. Through the story you'll get the basic set like Galestorm and the elemental ones that let you transfer an element from a source. But these big ones you can only get by doing side quests.

82Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 22, 2023 5:01 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>as they die
Does it have to be during their death animation, or prior to it (provided that the tech kills an enemy)?

>sidequests
I see. Stray Bead hunting wouldn't happen to be one of those, right?

83Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon May 22, 2023 11:29 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>during death animation
Yes. You'll notice they go into slow mo. That's when you hit them.
It won't work if you killed them with the brush tech like as the final blow that took the last of their HP.

I think if you're using one of the nukes that multi-hit you could kill with them and still get the fangs because they'll be hit again in their death animation.

>Stray Bead hunting
I guess. If you get all of them you get an accessory that gives you unlimited HP and ink, and also boosts attack power insanely high. Not really a quest that is given to you. Just a reward for collecting them all.

84Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:08 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Excuse the lack of updates. I got caught up in a few things and couldn't give an update last weekend.

>nukes
Still need to get them (or use them for the first time). I assume you mean the upgrades.

>Stray Bead hunting
Like SBK said, the reward is pretty much a cheat. Won't fret over trying to collect them all, in that case.

-----------------

Help, I think I've become addicted to this game. Can't believe I've missed out on a ton of things the first time I played (had no idea you could use Izuna Drop so early in the game). That aside, I've been trying all of the tech you've showcased in your Twitter, as well as experimenting with the weapons (SBK gave me good pointers for these in specific). I'm not one to concern myself over ranks, but the fact that in the grand majority of the fights I've fought so far (up to Orochi's first encounter) I was able to get the best rank (both for time and damage), it should mean that I'm on the right track. The purple rosary deals a lot of damage up close with the ink shot (though so does the primary attack, to be fair), as well as the alt. charge attack from the Blade of Kusanagi (when used well).

As alluded to, I was able to beat the bosses much more quicker than on my first playthrough. The guy who speaks French can be stunned by sending his projectile back at him. So I took advantage of this opening by using a Cherry Bomb and a Power Slash (instead of just the latter), though I should probably have used the Glaive's charged attacks to see if I could get better results.

The spider boss went down fairly quickly with multiple well-placed Power Slashes across all the eyes. In fact, I was able to defeat this boss in just one cycle. Though that was probably because I had maxed out the amount of ink pots I could use.

Power Slash interrupts the dog bosses, and I used this to my advantage by charging the Glaive's alt charged attack up close, interrupting their attack, and then releasing the button to melt their health bars.

Some of Orochi's attacks can be negated with Galestorm (such as when one tries to use fire, or when another uses poison or whatever the purple mist is), which is nice. I knew about the elemental weaknesses of some of the heads, though not sure if you can severely damage the head that floods the arena by using the electric technique (but I don't have that yet).

Just having a blast. And the fact that NG+ lets me skip cutscenes makes things even better. Like I said, I got hooked to this game. Regret not having played it sooner.

Now, question time.

Besides some weapons having elements attached to them, do they have other differences? I guess the other obvious aspect is attack power, since the first Rosary deals significantly less damage than the Resurrection one (purple Rosary).

As for the NUR+ you mentioned, are you allowed to use the Golden Ink Pot? I haven't gotten it yet, but it looks like something I really ought to have (not necessarily in a NUR+), judging from your videos. I assume items are technically allowed, but you're discouraged to use them.

The bad thing about doing a NUR+ is that I probably have to do it a non-NG+ file, which means unskippable cutscenes. Hopefully there's a cheat code somewhere that lets me bypass these (GoW1 and GoWII have such codes). If not, then frame skipping should do it.

85Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:58 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>help I'm addicted
No. Stay addicted.

>early Izuna
As soon as you have another weapon to switch places with.

>ranks
Just extra money.

>Waka (French guy)
Can also be stunned by being attacked. Not the same way as imps though. Different rule.

>Power Slash interrupts dog bosses
This is what you need to keep doing. Just trying everything on everything.
Usually Power Slash is negated but in some cases it will do some non damage thing like this. Can also drop those flying fish and samurai birds as it destroys their wings.

I'm not going to list all my enemy notes. You'll have much more fun figuring out this stuff. Though I'll answer any questions if you want to know what's possible.

>do they have other differences?
Some Glaives let you use Ink Bullet and have a different attack when on sub. I think it's only two of them.

Rosaries can fire like a machine gun, or a spread shot.

>using Golden Ink Pot
If you want.

>items allowed
Up to you.

86Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:11 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>another weapon
Oh, so in NG+ it's pretty much as soon as you start, but in NG it's as soon as you get the first Rosary, right?

>extra money
Yeah, but I also saw it as an indication that I was getting better.

>stunned by being attacked
Noted. Will try this the next time I face him.

>trying everything on everything
Indeed. Just now I tried to blind that green headless enemy with ink (doesn't make sense for him in particular, but oh well), which made him attack afterwards. So I did it again to bait him for an Izuna. Worked very well. I knew you could blind enemies like this, since I did it by accident on NPCs, but this is the first time I use it as part of a plan to approach enemies. Going to see how well it works against other stuff.

I also used Galestorm against an imp strapped on a kite. Also worked well.

>answer questions
I was thinking of making my own notes, then sharing them to see if I missed anything. Though I'm planning to test out a lot of things extensively. Then maybe after I have a good grasp on how everything works, I could go ahead and do a NUR+.

>some Glaives allow for ink bullet usage
Oh?

>my call
Got it. Though the former sounds like an upgrade, so I may not use it.

Note: This is probably obvious, but weapons of any kind (including higher tiers) are allowed, right? It's just the Gold Dust that is banned on this kind of run.

And by the way, when using the brush, is there any particular reason to use the triangle button (which makes thicker lines)?

87Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:17 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Fighting the red samurai bird. Seems like I can no longer cut off its wings, but using Galestorm while it is blocking attacks opens it up to punishment. Cherry Bomb also leaves it open to Power Slash. Destroying the skull it tosses also gives you an opening, as well as dodging its aerial attack. Izuna also affects it.

This game really has a ton of neat details. Going to admit I severely underestimated its depth when I first played it. But even then, I still found it fun. But now? Like I said, I can't stop playing.

88Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:13 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>but in NG it's as soon as you get the first Rosary, right?
Yeah.

>an indication that I was getting better
That too.

>Noted. Will try this the next time I face him.
I'd need to find my notes, but I believe it's a certain number of hits. And they don't have to be linked.

>blind against other stuff
Only works on the imp family. That's why it worked on the headless one. They aren't all referred to as imps but they're just slight upgrades of the ones you faced in previous areas. So I refer to them.all as the imp family.

>galestorm on flying imp
Yes. Blows them down.

>I was thinking of making my own notes, then sharing them to see if I missed anything.
Do it. You might find new stuff that even I don't know about.

>ink bullet
Works like Power Slash. Can break guards. But the different is you can apply tons of dots to the screen. They're low damage though. And when you release the screen the barrage is not all at once. It's like a machine gun so stuff could move and the bullets miss.

The weapon description will tell you if it can use Ink Bullet.

>weapons in challenge run
I didn't use gold dust. In one run I used any weapon, in another I didn't. You can add this restriction if you like. Late game weapons are still really strong without gold dust.

>thicker lines
For those cases where you need to fill in stuff with Rejuvenation.

To make stuff stronger or last longer just make your drawing bigger.

>samurai bird
The one with the umbrella?
That's the one you can guardbreak with Galestorm.

>Seems like I can no longer cut off its wings
It started flying again and you couldn't cut them?

89Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:21 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>certain number of hits
>no need to be linked
Got it.

>only works on the imp family
Yeah, as far as I've seen, I've come to realize this.

>aren't all referred to as imps
Not sure if the headless one is referred to as this, but the way they act is like other imps I've met, so yeah.

>do it
Okay. I'll get to this on the next playthrough. For now I'll try to find stuff as I go.

Though I do have a question. The shark in the sunken ship... I've seen him get stunned after trying to do a body slam. Though I don't quite understand what triggers the stun. I thought it was by making contact with a barrel or the platform at the center, but sometimes nothing happens.

On a side note, I noticed that the barrels can be used against it. Pretty neat.

>find out about something you don't know
Think that's unlikely. You have years of experience with this, whereas I started playing this a couple of weeks ago. I know about your anecdote with Transformers by watching someone else play, but that could have been a very rare occurrence.

>low damage
Seems like it. Does it still have uses, where it would be better than Power Slash?

>in another you didn't
Stuck with the lowest tiers of each weapon class?

>strong without Gold Dust
Yeah, according to this site, higher tiers seem to be stronger than if you had used a gold dust on lower tier weapon:

https://okami.neoseeker.com/wiki/Weapons

>Rejuvenation
I see.

>drawing bigger to make stuff stronger
I believe the game told me about this, but haven't really paid attention to see the difference. What would this work with? Galestorm? Cherry Bomb?

>one with the umbrella
The very same.

>flying again and couldn't cut them?
Believe so. It just used the umbrella again to block my attack.

90Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:46 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Not sure if the headless one is referred to as this
Those ones are called Guardians I think. Basically just a skin. You'll find a new version in each area. Some get some little differences, like the burrowing ones will hold their weapons out while underground and can hit you, and Clay Soldiers have a different weapon throw.

>shark stun
I have videos of these stuns on Twitter.

Sometimes it clips past the barrel. The bone pile stuns it too, so do lilypads.

>Think that's unlikely.
I found out quite a few new things just this year. One a few days ago.

>where it would be better than Power Slash?
It wouldn't.

>Stuck with the lowest tiers of each weapon class?
Yeah.

>bigger drawing with Galestorm and Cherry Bomb
Kind of forgot the exact details. Gale might last longer but with bombs I think a bigger of smaller drawing determines the distance of the bomb. You can't make different sized ones.

>The very same.
That's Ubume. Yeah Gale blows its umbrella away. Forgot the name of the samurai bird, but with that one you Power Slash to guard break. They're pretty similar though.

>It just used the umbrella again to block my attack.
I don't think you can cut their wings. They autoblock physical stuff.

91Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:54 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Last update of the weekend, I suppose.

>new version in each area
Sounds about right.

On a side note, I forgot to comment on the elemental wheel enemies. Neat that you can use the fire based one against its ice elemental ally.

>clips past the barrel
That explains it.

>so do lilypads
That right? Didn't know about it. Guess it would be good to leave a few around to increase the chances of triggering the stun? Though that's probably inefficient in terms of ink.

>still finding new tech after all these years
Says a lot about the game. Loving it even more.

That aside, I'll see what I can do.

>it wouldn't
I see.

>Yeah.
Did you find this restriction engaging?

>determines the distance
Ah, makes sense.

>can't cut their wings
Doesn't seem like it. Only Galestorm seems to work, from what I've tried (aside from destroying the skull they toss).

--------------

Left it at the part where you need to do a minigame in order to send Kaguya to space (or something). Also realized that there's more than one way to get in hits against Blight (need time slow for two instances, and Power Slash stuns the 'sword' if you destroy all *or one in specific?* the swords he summons). Still didn't get the best rank for Time, so I can be even better than that.

Before I forget, is there some way to achieve max speed without having to build it up beforehand? I know you can dash to speed up the process, but I'm curious on whether you can attain max speed immediately.

Also, regarding your Action game ranking (or whatever it is *a list?*) on your Twitter, have you tried Astral Chain? If so, how would you rank it (among your personal favorites)?

92Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:54 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>elemental wheels
I love these guys especially when different elements are mixed.
Try everything on each type. There's some cool stuff.

>lilypad inefficient in ink
Not really. Maybe on a challenge run.

>Did you find this restriction engaging?
Not really. The low life and ink was more of a threat.

>Blight
Got a lot of videos for him on my Twitter.

>max speed immediately
This might have something but I forgot what it says.

>Astral Chain
Didn't like it much.

93Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:27 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Been feeling sick lately, which explains the delay. Though I did play the game a bit a few days ago and made it to Kamui (personal anecdote: many of the names used in Okami are things I learned from watching Naruto).

>experiment with the elemental wheels
Will do. I'm growing rather fond of them myself.

>lilypad isn't inefficient
I see. Good to know.

>low life and ink was more of a threat
Makes sense. Only time will tell if I'm up to doing a challenge run with that restriction.

>videos on Blight
Saw them all (unless you got some more of them even further down *and by the way, where was that search function you mentioned a couple of posts ago?*). It is an interesting detail that you can use Issun to hit the blue sword.

>link
Watched the first few minutes. Will watch the rest later. Though I already knew about Dash storage (learned it while messing around by trying to find a way to get max speed immediately).

>didn't like it much
Oh? That was quite unexpected, but you must have your reasons.

------------------

Noticed that Veil is really, really useful in general. Not only for the interactions that it can have on things (such as making seemingly invisible attacks, well, visible, as well as slowing down fast stuff like one of the elemental wheels), but also because it lets you get more hits in per opening (and even outside proper openings, if you can harm the enemy outside these).

Fought that blue guy with a giant face and a smoking (?) pipe in his mouth. Putting out the fire on the pipe causes it to throw a lot of pipes, which can be returned back at him with Power Slash. Not sure if I need to deflect all of them at once to stun him, but it generally happens after he throws out the pipes at least twice.

If he transforms, I think he becomes impervious to damage (can't quite remember if bombs still affected him *by the way, using these against his normal form proved to be quite effective*), and will approach you to use a lightning based attack. This makes him revert back to normal.

Though if you quickly set the pipe on fire again, the transformation process will be canceled.

I didn't know that the Devil Gate trials were a thing. Apparently you fight a lot of enemies in these. Always great to see more opportunities to spend more time with this combat system.

Regarding Ninetails, I noticed that using Fireburst on the tails affected them visually, but it doesn't look like it can do anything else, other than Ninetails trying to get them back to normal after a while.

94Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:10 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>search function
Top of profile. Magnifying glass icon.

>It is an interesting detail that you can use Issun to hit the blue sword
He's just a physical attack so follows the same rule.

>throwing pipes
You don't need to hit back all of them, but I think it has to be more than one. Will need to check my notes.

>transform and invincible
He transforms if his pipe goes out, or after a certain amount of time. And yes they become invincible, do a few attacks, then transform back.

>Devil Gates
There are three and the enemies are tougher. I do all my testing in these.

>ninetails
I think it affects the move where it sticks its tails in the ground and they pop up under you. If they're burning they can't be used. That's another thing I'd need to check my notes on. Usually puts out the fire before doing anything though so it's annoying to test. I once saw it use the tail attack and only one tail came out. This was with all the others burnt.

95Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:54 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>top of profile
Must have not been thinking straight that day.

>pipes
I think I managed to deflect three of them once, and he still was preparing to transform. Though I didn't make sure (I'll start gathering notes on my next playthrough, like I said I would earlier, but I'll still experiment with the rest of the enemies as much as I can).

>after a certain amount of time
Didn't know this.

>three
>tougher enemies
The game is becoming even better by the second.

>all your testing
Can you find every enemy type (excluding bosses) in these gates?

>tail attack
Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing it using said attack when its tails were burning. So that's what it does.

-----------------

Had a quite frustrating experience today. Lost my progress to a blackout twice. That said, it wasn't much, just had to do that part where you must do some kind of... minigame? To reach Ponctan and travel back in time... twice.

Will see if I have better luck tomorrow. Least I got hooked before a save corruption turning me off indefinitely (like it did with FF XII *though in fairness, I was already a bit bummed out for the lack of dual jobs in the PS2 version, among other things*).

96Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:12 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Can you find every enemy type (excluding bosses) in these gates?
There is a wheel type that doesn't appear here but it's not any different from the ones that do. It's a mirror wheel from the part where you shrink.

>To reach Ponctan and travel back in time... twice.
Where you have to run through the forest?

>I was already a bit bummed out for the lack of dual jobs in the PS2 version
Any plans to try Zodiac Age?

I think you might like Tactics Ogre Reborn too.

97Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:50 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>the mirror enemy
Right. Assuming that you can enter the cave at any time? I'm planning to go through them before boarding the ark.

>run through the forest
Yes, and then do it again for the time travel part. I just didn't have the energy to repeat these parts a third time (while talking to NPCs in-between to progress through the story).

>plans to try Zodiac Age
That's the exact version I want to play. As soon as I get my hands on it (and the required hardware), I'll be playing it immediately.

>enjoy Tactics Ogre
Perhaps. I'm not too used to Strategy RPGs (even less so than shooters, but I still want to play Vanquish), outside trying (and liking) Final Fantasy Tactics a decade ago or so. For some reason it makes me think of chess (which I'm not particularly good at).

--------------------

Finally got past that part. Saved the game at the village, just in case. About to fight Orochi. Encountered some new enemies, among them were two things that resembled Blight's fighting style. Hitting their summoned swords didn't seem to do anything, but using Veil before they could teleport for more chances to hit them still worked. And for what little this matters, they drop 4 Demon Fangs if you perform a Floral Finisher. One of them even dropped a Golden Peach, but the pouch's been filled up for a long time now, so that was useless.

98Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:41 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Assuming that you can enter the cave at any time?
You can't get back into that palace area where you have to shrink. So if you missed fighting it it won't appear in the bestiary. You'll have to wait until NG+.

>new enemies
Sounds like Dogus. Looks like a statue right?

Correct, Veil reveals their teleport. I think Cherry Bomb forces them to teleport too but no idea why. I believe lightning is their weakness.

>summoned swords
You can't hit these back, only knock them away.

>4 demon fangs
They're a top source. So are the black skull imps.

99Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:35 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Don't have much time, but just wanted to mention that my experience (yesterday) with the elemental wheel (ninja cat variant) was pretty neat. You can even change its element with Power Slash (and thus make it weak to other elements).

I'm OHKO'ing them with Izuna, but hitting an elemental weakness still does a lot of damage, and could come in handy if you're doing a challenge run with the starting weapons of each class.

I'm just amazed by the amount of options this game has.

100Okami - Page 2 Empty Re: Okami Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:25 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Sounds like the sickle weasal.

They have a big special attack where they separate and take positions at the edges of the arena in a triangle formation, creating a whirlwind in the center. If it hits they knock you around like a pinball. I think there's a way to make them do it but I can't remember.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum