You are not connected. Please login or register

Judge Eyes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Judge Eyes on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Announced at TGS2018, Judge Eyes is a new project by the makers of the Yakuza series. Game is a detective game with arcade like combat. It seems to use the Dragon Engine from Yakuza 6, but the combat looks very interesting so far.

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

2 Re: Judge Eyes on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm excited for this, but at the same time I'm kind of dissapointed. I was expecting RGG Studios next game to be something wildly different from Yakuza. The game is even set in Kamurocho AGAIN. It just seems strange to me that they've had this in development for 3 years when it seems like they could have started this after Kiwami 2 launched in Japan.

All that aside, the combat FINALLY looks like a real return to form. They have styles back in the game, they have the speed, more creative heat actions, jumping off walls and doing flips etc. it just looks awesome! That was the most exciting part of the trailer for me. Gives me a lot of hope for Shin Yakuza now that the combat looks good.

Aside from the combat, the mini game selection looks pretty fun. I think I'll really like the drone racing assuming the camera doesn't make it too annoying. Shouldn't be too bad though considering I know Kamurocho like the back of my hand lol. Not sure how fun the detective gameplay will be; a lot of it just seemed kind of basic and derivative but we'll see.

As for the story, I just hope they keep it grounded like Y0. Don't spaz and have some overly ridiculous villain again.

Going back to Shin Yakuza for a second, I'm getting super pumped for that game now that they announced this. I hope it doesn't launch until late 2019. I want them to polish the shit out of it. It seems like this game will be the last buffer game for the Dragon Engine before they finally hit it out of the park. It's a shame that 6 and (to a lesser extent) K2 had to suffer to get to this point, but better late than never.

EDIT: A demo will be on the Japanese PSN store later today!

View user profile

3 Re: Judge Eyes on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am

We're basically on the same page. I'm a bit saddened that it is again just 'Yakuza as always', just a different style of minigames and different (perhaps) story style. Combat looks like a dream and return to form really nailing that arcade feel with the Dragon Engine. That said the more Yakuza I play the less I like Kamurocho. I know the town like the back of my hand now which has its upsides, but I'm also finding I tend to like the smaller towns more and more in comparison.

As you note btw, I really hope the plot is better written and the main antagonist isn't some hacky Riddler fight. I still have *NO* idea how Terada's plan in Yakuza 2 would even work, there's just no ryme or reason to it. Absolute insanity.

Really curious for the demo!

4 Re: Judge Eyes on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Demo

Regarding Kamurocho, the biggest complaint about this game so far is that it's not set in a new place. I've heard a lot of people say this would be cooler if it took place in a more rural setting where people aren't used to murders (like Twin Peaks  I love you ), and I have to agree. This being another Yakuza game wouldn't be a problem if this was in a brand new town. At least Shin Yakuza is supposed to have like, 2 new cities, and hopefully we can explore Kamurocho Hills in that game as well.

While I've played the demo through 3 times now, just check out Prefer_Not_To_Say's impressions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/yakuzagames/comments/9es8v9/no_spoilers_some_thoughts_on_judge_eyes_after/

He pretty much talks about everything worth talking about and more.

Things that stand out for me:

-Title screen is awesome

-Story setup seems pretty cool. I like it more than Ichiban's new setup.

-Not holding X to run is awesome. Thank god they finally learned that. As a side note, the Western version of FOTNS also removed holding X to run! You just go at the run speed now by default which is amazing.

-Jumping off the walls is cool, although it's pretty janky. The enemies also have to be pretty close for it to work, and sometimes the enemies just kind of stand back not doing much, even on Hard.

-The loss of momentum when an enemy blocks is still present, but to a lesser degree. Still stupid, especially because whenever the enemy attacks while you're guarding it works just like the old games. Maybe you unlock an ability to mitigate this later.

-Both combat styles are very interesting. Reminiscent of Akiyama's kicks, and Tanimura's holds.

-Most of the heat actions are brand new, aside from most of the weapon attacks which are ripped straight from 6 and Kiwami 2

-The games performance is worse than Kiwami 2, but better than 6 on the base PS4. Noticed quite a few framedrops, even in cutscenes which is annoying. Nothing as bad as 6, but it's pretty frustrating considering how well K2 performs. It's becoming more and more obvious that the Dragon Engine is too much for this gen.

-The detective stuff is unfortunately pretty boring. Find your target in a crowd by pointing a cursor around and examining people, then follow the guy without running; if he turns around then you hide. Once you find the guy again, you have to look around and find things of interest again, then you chase the guy in a Shenmue-esque chase sequence where your only interaction is moving left and right, with the occasional QTE thrown in. After that you have a fight. I don't want to be TOO critical of this, because the demo is literally just the games tutorial. I'm sure in the full game there will be a lot more to these things, like what was shown in the trailer, but as it stands it's pretty meh.

Anyway, if you can, try the demo out and tell me what you think. I wish it was an open demo like 6 and K2 so we could really mess around with the combat for as long as we wanted, but oh well. At least the game comes out soon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the physics seem toned down a bit. Still a little bit stupid, but a lot less exaggerated compared to 6 and K2.

View user profile

5 Re: Judge Eyes on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:45 am

Birdman

The character looks kinda odd, like he's too old to be wearing that outfit.

View user profile

6 Re: Judge Eyes on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:24 pm

I hadn't heard about the running being regulated, that is great news! I've decided to not play the demo (just like with FotN) and just wait for the game to release. Playing a game for the first time is generally a sacred moment for me and I don't want to ruin it by rushing through a demo, especially a lineair one.

Have to say I was always surprised that Kamurocho Hills was never really explored in the series. The area got such a build-up throughout the series and the best you do is trash the place as Kiryu in a cookycutter Long Battle in Y5.

Glad to hear the heat-actions are back and in full force. K2 and Y6 were very disappointing in that regard for me.

> detective stuff is boring
This worries me. It should be the thing that seperates the series from the rest. But as you said, we'll see!

7 Re: Judge Eyes on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:00 am

The guy who is playing the character is some super famous idol/actor/singer in Japan, so IDK maybe they all tend to dress like that and they just incorporated it into his character design. He looks way cooler with slicked back hair and the lawyer suit though. Guess it would be too similar to Kiryu,

Yeah I haven't heard anyone talk about the run cycle either but I noticed it immediately lol I don't understand the people that say they like having to hold or mash a button to run. "It makes it more realistic" they say. Whatever, I can tolerate it as long as it doesn't feel clunky as shit like a Rockstar game. I legit thought my controller was broken when I first played GTAV. Worst controls in the entire series if you ask me.

Well technically you could explore it a little in Dead Souls as well, but it didn't have any stores to enter. I'm assuming a fleshed out Kamurocho Hills will be the way they expand the city in Shin Yakuza.

Yeah but it's lame that they just reused the Heat Actions for all the weapons. Oh well.

The detective stuff just seems like Ass's Creed but at least in those games you can parkour and choose where to hide. This just seems like hand holdy garbage so far. Everything else looks pretty sweet though, so if it does suck I can deal with it.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum