Dark_Blood_NG
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Do you have a backlog? Empty Do you have a backlog? Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I do. Never meant for it to get this bad.

It started years ago when I had some cash to throw around from my old job, and would be importing boxes of PS1/2 games regularly. I've got a few boxes full of games in the closet. Even I don't know what's in them anymore!

Doesn't help that I grab new games or bargain bin stuff now and then, or that 3DS with 4 games I bought for Christmas and haven't opened yet. That and this thing happens to me regularly where I get stuck in an old game for months finding new stuff or writing guides, yet still pick up other stuff.

Another me takes over whenever I enter a game store and I black out. When I come to, I'm standing at the entrance with a bag of games.

2Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:17 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Define backlog. I have some games that I own that I haven't played or finished, but I never intend too either. Like I once bought 20 Gamecube games in a fleemarket sale for 5 bucks, but most are trash.

What helped me, personally, to tone it down, was to put my games in a cloest where I can't see them. I tend to buy games to 'have them' and the box in my closet, but now that I don't see them it isn't so bad.

Right now I just need to play Heavenly Sword and Kunoichi which I bought a long time ago. Other things are just runs I want to do. But that's just counting the games I WANT to play. I also have Rygar for instance but I have no intention of ever finishing that since I didn't really enjoy it.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I guess stuff you intend to play and finish. I also have a few that I bought in bulk lots that while aren't horrible, I have no intention of playing or finishing.

I also have a second backlog of sorts which is all the runs and testing I want to do which kinda makes things worse, because as I said, I might get sucked into one game for months. Sometimes something just comes into my mind and I focus on it for a while.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total

4Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

If we include all the runs I want to do and games I still want to finish mine might be larger than I thought haha. 

RUNS I WANT TO DO
Ninja Gaiden 2004  (laserblade PAIN+, DDBng+)
Ninja Gaiden 2004 (OLB Kitetsu)
Ninja Gaiden Black (katana, flail, nunchucks, dai, hammer, lunar, wooden sword, unlabored, dark dragon blade, kitetsu, ending with a Survival Run in Sigma)
Dark Souls 1.0 run
Bloodborne (all weapons run)
Ninja Gaiden Black (handicap run (no ninpo, items, or UT/wall spam)
Ninja Gaiden Black MASTER NINJA RANK RUN
Ninja Gaiden Black (PAIN+) 
Ninja Gaiden Black (NUR) 
Ninja Gaiden Black (single save run)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (dual kats)
Ninja Gaiden Razor’s Edge (katana, kusari, talons, dual katana, scythe, lunar, momiji, ayane, kasumi)
Ninja Gaiden Razor’s Edge all trials
Ninja Gaiden 2 (katana, kusari, talon, dual kats, scythe, lunar, vigorian, tonfa, ending with the survival challenge)
Ninja Gaiden 2 all Missions Gold Medal
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (katana, kusari, talon, dual kats, scythe, lunar, vigorian, tonfa, Enma’s Fang)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 all Missions Gold Medal (ryu/ryu)
MGR:R Way of the Blade
Vanquish Laser Canon only
Evil Within 2 Knife Only NG Nightmare
DMC3 SS-rank
Nioh Way of the Blade
Nioh Single Weapon Runs (katana, dual kast, kusa, axe, lance, odachi, tonfa)
PoP:WW no sands 
God of War 2 NuR / PAIN
God of War 3 NuR / PAIN
God of War: A NuR / PAIN
God of War vitas NuR / PAIN
God Hand Punch Only 
God Hand Kick only 
God Hand Hard KMS
Hitman Blood Money Sniper Only
The Punisher Gold medals
DMC 1 fresh yamato S-rank + special rank
Resident Evil 4 Knife Only
Resident Evil 4 Handgun Only (unupgraded)
MGR:R Path to the Impossible
MGR:R VH PAIN
MGR:R REV PAIN
MGR:R No Parry REV
MGR:R Staff Only VH

Games
Ninja Gaiden 2 Master Ninja
Yakuza Zero 100%
Yakuza Kiwami 100%
Heavenly Sword
God of War 2
Deus Ex Mankind Divided replay
Onimusha 2 replay
Onimusha 4 

And this is just what I already had written down...yikes.

5Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:12 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Shit...

And I thought I was bad lol.

6Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Granted this is a 'what I want to finish this life time' list. So no rush :)

7Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

These topics are kinda interesting because sometimes help you dig into your memory and found things that were buried.

The first games that come to my mind are the following:

- God Hand: just tried it in a past in which I was not very much into the genere, it was too hard and complicated for me so I quit it. Now I don't have a PS2 anymore and my pc can't handle the game on the emulator, but it's a ctually a game I want to try because it looks very interesting. From what I understand about it, it's focused on efficiency and it has a customizable combo system, which means I can create my pown attack strings. So, some moves are really powerful, but I guess I could come up with fun ideas for restricted runs in which I ban some moves and learn to use lower tier ones. Looks really promising. A lot of people praise the game too. I'm not a huge fan of Kamiya but this game seems very interesting.

- Shinobi PS2: tried it on PS2, like GH, and quit it for the some reasons. Also I didn't like that when I killed the enemies they didn't go immediately into the death animation LOL (I know it happens because there is a mechanic related to it). People praise this game for being challenging. I've seen some video about it and it seems to have a good movement system, so I'm curious about it, I like having fast dashes in an action game.

- Dragon's Crown: this is not pure action, it is actually an action rpg, it fuses 2d sidescrolling beat em up mechanics with inventory management mechanics and is inspired to CPS2 Capcom Dungeons and Dragons games (I think the director of this game has been involved in the making of one of the D&D games). I tried it last year and I think it's fun.

The good of this game is that it has different characters that play in completely different ways (aside from mage and sorceress that share a lot of things). Another strong point of the game is that it has various difficulty levels and also a very challenging mode that you unlock late in the game, where enemies are supposed to become very strong. Also it has a mechanic that rewards you to play through multiple stages without going back to the hub where you can level up or refill your items (not going much in details but it's a cool mechanic).

The bad of this game, at least for me, is that it has a lot of inventory management, which is very simple during the first hours of the game, but it is supposed to be much more important when you'll reach the hardest parts of the game, so it'll take a lot of time to do, and it lacks some functions like selecting multiple items to sell or appraise which makes things a bit slow. Also the initial part of the game is very easy, and (not sure but almost sure about this) if you want to try another character you will have to replay the game from the easiest difficulty setting. So, I still think I want to get into this game, but since pure action games already exist I think I'll never get the chance because there will always be pure action games which I'll think are more worth playing for my personal preferences. But I think Birdman could like this game alot aside from the rpg parts, because the archer class is really fun, and there are two other ranged classes that he could use.

Also, compared to Nioh, I think the rpg mechanics in this game are much better done and integrated with the gameplay. While in Nioh they seem to be there just to help people that are not skilled, in DC they are perfectly integrated with the gameplay and feel like a natural part of it. I still don't like them from a subjective point of view, but they are objectively well integrated in the game and it feels like the game was actually designed to interact with them.

The game has online multiplayer and can be played up to four players I think, or you can have AI companions which you can deactivate for playing the full game solo.

- Knights of the Round: yeah, another 2d sidescrolling beat em up, but this is a true one. I love this game, though I never beat it in one credit. It's really fun because it has some mechanics that feel fresh compared to older games like Final Fight. You have a regular combo and jumping attacks, then you have a strong attack that knocks down, and a block. You can stay in a block stance for just a second (roughly, more or less), and if enemies hit your shield you'll get full i-frames for a short period of time. If you stay too much in a block stance without actually blocking an enemy hit you'll go into a fatigue stance (looks similar to Nioh fatigue stance) and you are totally vulnerable to enemy attacks. You can also mount on a horse, and there is a good variety of enemies, bosses and stages. You can select three different characters, which are Arthur, Perceval and Lancelot from the King Arthur myth. Despite the game having a block/i-frames mechanic I find it really tough.

- Cadillac and Dinosaurs: same genere, same developer (Capcom). It's not considered the best Capcom sidescrolling BeU, but I personally like it a lot because it has a run mechanic. You can go into a run by double tapping the joystick into a direction, and pull off a running attack which knocks down enemies, but inflict low damage. But you can also interrupt your dash by pressing up or down on the stick, and then go into normal combos. So I like using the dash for movement, and choose the different attacks according to the instances. Again, I didn't get the 1CC for this game in the past so I wanna go back to it someday and attept it, this game is kinda accessible in difficulty so probably I should be able to do it.

Teoretically, I also have some jrpg's on my backlog, just I don't really like going through a lot of text to enjoy a game, lately. Keep in mind that a pure rpg is different from action rpg, and I feel that meshing the two generes into a product that it's actually good is very difficult. So, a lot of times, pure action games and pure rpg games are much better than action rpg's. Imo, Vanillaware games (Princess Crown, Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown) are good examples of action rpg were the rpg and action mechanics are well integrated. That's because these games were born from unique ideas and concepts, they felt very inspired. Sadly, a lot of modern action rpg's are just a try to appeal to the broader audience possible.

8Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I did play Dragon's Crown a bit. Didn't like the elf because she runs out of arrows and you need to back this up with kick or dagger moves.

I played sorcerer and warlock long range. They can charge mp so they never really run out of shots. Interesting spells too. In the end, I quit playing due to not wanting to keep grinding for stuff, mainly good equipment in the Tower of Chaos or whatever it was.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total

9Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> God Hand
First of, Kamiya has nothing to do with this game other than that he worked in the same office on other games at the time. This game is all Mikami (Vanquish, Resident Evil (1&4), DMC1, PN03 and The Evil Within). It is an action title about risk reward, custom combos and just going wild with fist fighting. It's hard as nails, but has some neat mechanics to make it easier for the more casual player.
On of the best things I can say about this game is that one time I let a friend play it and he loved it. Then I showed him me playing on my save and he said "oh but you upgraded your character to be faster, right"? No, it was just because I knew how the game worked it looked like my character was faster and more fluid.
I honestly would put it at the top of action titles, it really is the best out there. The only real flaw it has, in my book, is the length: it's too long. An average run is around 8-15 hours and missions are always the same with few variation. There's a ton of bosses and enemies but as a result of such a long game you never master anything I feel until you go in deep.

> Shinobi
Emphasis is different here. It's all about movement, spacing, and lining up the kills. You really have to use the Tate kill system (killing enemies in a row to grow stronger).

Both are also on the PSN of the PS3 and are good ports of the game. I have both those and the originals.

10Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

This game is all Mikami [...] DMC1
Sorry for the mistake about God Hand being designed by Kamiya. Though, I thought DMC1 was by Kamiya, I was pretty sure, this sounds like a big surprise to me. Wikipedia also features Kamiya as director, maybe a mistake?

Your mini review sounds very tempting. "I honestly would put it at the top of action titles, it really is the best out there" I always had the feeling this game was THAT awesome. Whle I don't have very fond memories of the few minutes I played in Shinobi (but still I want to try it).

I showed him me playing on my save and he said "oh but you upgraded your character to be faster, right"? No, it was just because I knew how the game worked it looked like my character was faster and more fluid
LOL that's the same impression I get when I play a fighting game with friends and then watch high level players matches XD
This sound really tempting too, make me feel this game is very skill based.

There's a ton of bosses and enemies but as a result of such a long game you never master anything I feel until you go in deep
Wow, is it that long?

Both are also on the PSN of the PS3 and are good ports of the game
That's fantastic! Right now I can't play them, but I'll definitely pick them up something like next year.

Birdman wrote:I quit playing due to not wanting to keep grinding for stuff mainly good equipment in the tower of chaos or whatever it was
To me, the problem it's not necessarily the grind, rather the inventory management. Though I like the game, I wanna go back to it.

11Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Yeah that was a thing too.

I just picked up Nier Automata and might mess around on that but I should really finish SotC first.

12Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> DMC1
DMC1 was a team effort like Resident Evil 1 and 2 - Mikami and Kamiya worked on these together. DMC1 was originally a Mikami project until he handed it to Kamiya half way through, but generally DMC1 is seen as something both are 'famous' for.

> God Hand
It really is, THAT awesome. The game is really long like I noted. If you grab let's say Chapter 1 of NGB as an example of length, then God Hand has around 50-58 Chapters. Some missions are long, some are just a single boss fight, but generally they are quite long and keep on coming with new enemies, remixes, new combinations of foes etc. Ironically the hardest mission for a lot is still mission 1-1 and 1-2, after that it gets easier.

> Kick me Sign
One of the more interesting things about God Hand is how it promotes itself. In Chapter 1-2 you gain the 'kick me sign' on your back. This sign does nothing, other than that once you use either Roulette Moves or Unleash The God Hand (your two super abilities), the sign is blown away. There's actually an ingame reward for beating the game with the Sign intact, which of course players have done on all settings.

> Difficulty
It is one of the few games where I think Normal is perfect. Hard is boring in my eyes, as there is no drive. The system constantly adjusts to your ability, so if you play good, it gets harder via the 'difficulty level' at the bottom left. On Hard this is just stuck on he highest level.

> Shinobi
I always link this video about High Level Shinobi play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrwW9z8szo

The thing you have to realize is the style of play. Shinobi isn't about finding your way to play, it is about finding THE way to play.

13Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

@Royta,

very interesting read. Like, God Hand sounds like the most awesome beat em up ever created. I remember the "kick me" sign, the fact it has the purpose to promote restricted play is a great touch. I think it's also a sign of the different mentality these games had until like ten years ago.

Shinobi isn't about finding your way to play, it is about finding THE way to play

Sounds like NG to me. Though, I have to see if I like that way to play. From the video, it looks more like a platform game mixed with "hacking and slashing", but it seems to emphasize the jumping over the combat itself. Not saying it's a bad thing in general, just that maybe it wouldn't match my likings.

I want to see what other good PS2 games are available on PS3.

14Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The jump and dash have a very 'interesting' mechanic. Basically what it does is you can only dash once in the air, but clinging to a wall or killing an enemy resets this. So what the idea is is to time your kills and wall-clings accordingly to not touch the ground as it is dangerous there.

Pair this with that each kill makes you temporarily stronger, which stacks, and you've to a huge emphasis on killing, dashing to the next, killing, dashing to the next etc; it's all about lining them up for the perfect dash-kill combo.

The combat itself isn't that deep in terms of options. You have kunai to stun, a kick, a slash combo, a charge attack and a magic spell - that's it. The depth is all about positioning and avoidance, while destroying enemies fast in one fell swoop, which is further pressured by your constantly draining health.

15Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

Uhm... then I don't think it's for me. Though, objectively seems an interesting game for people into its thing. Looks more like a strange platform game.

16Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:36 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

In terms of platforming, I don't see much difference out of NG which has tons of jumping and wallrunning from what I've seen.

Just give it a try. Should be close to free these days though that might depend on where you live.

17Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

To me it always felt more like an arcade style game. If you grab Ninja Gaiden, this is the flipped version. In Ninja Gaiden combat is on the first place of importance, while positioning and movement is secondary - here it is flipped.

Just try it. You also originally thought Sigma 2 wasn't going to be your cup of tea, and you love it now. Games can surprise you :)

18Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:11 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I have to figure out how to tackle this.

I have a huge amount of games, some fully played, some played a little, and some not touched. Need to set some rules.

I think I should avoid all challenges or tech developing stuff, and focus on just finishing the damn things. If I don't like the game, I won't continue. This happened with Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance. Played it a little and just didn't end up liking it that much.

It's hard for me to play through something without stopping and testing stuff for ages though. I'll focus on finished everything I have, then 100%, then look into challenge and tech for the stuff I truly like.

Oh man, where to start though? I have so many consoles and games even I don't know them all anymore.

19Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The most important thing for me, that I had to push myself through, is focus on the fun. I wanted to do a NUR for Remember Me, but honest: fuck that. I really love playing TEW2 and Yakuza 2 right now, so I play that. Just focus on enjoying the hobby I feel. Want to play Lollipop AGAIN? Do it man! Enjoy it!

Which games do you have as an option now? With that in mind?

20Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I definitely won't force myself to play through something I'm not enjoying. That's why I quit Beatdown. I didn't like Shinobido either.

I don't want to replay anything at the moment or get S-Ranks/high scores when I have quite a bit of unplayed stuff. I played Chaos Legion for 14 freakin' years. Not the whole time, but on and off. If I keep doing stuff like that I'll never get through anything else.

I've been buying stuff over the years and never/barely touched any of it, mainly due to time, but also because I don't like letting a sale go to waste.

I want to buy Ruiner because it's on sale now, but I know I won't be able to get to it seriously for awhile. I'll probably still get it and let it sit there though. It's normally $30, but now it's on sale for $15 until March 8.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

21Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Sometimes I find that buying is half the fun haha! One thing I'm almost grateful for is that current games...aren't that good. Gives me more chances to keep up with the older ones hahaha! Sad I know. 

But I get ya. I've had that with some games too. Vanquish for nearly 7 years, Resident Evil 4 for...infinite. And I have a feeling The Evil Within 2 is joining that list too. Just can't seem to want to put it down. 

Maybe start small? Grab a short title? Not one that asks hours of dedication of you.

22Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:18 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I'm not too concerned about the length, just finishing them. I don't have many super long games. I barely touch RPGs. Longest I have is probably Nier: Automata or maybe one of the Zeldas.

I'll finish Thumper, even though it's frying my brain. Once that's done I won't attempt any high scores. Once I've played through everything I own, I'll go back and do stuff like that.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total

23Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Do you have a backlog? 4WSYeyL

24Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Hahaha that might be the case.

I might have to grab Ruiner because the sale ends on the 8th, then I'll play through that. Been watching some videos and it looks really good.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total

25Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:06 am

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

I forgot to mention two indie games:

- Hyperlight Drifter: action adventure game, hybrid between Zelda and a twin stick shooter. Seems really cool because you fight rooms of enemies, whn you kill them all the room walls start shifting and new enemies will appear in different spots.

- Valdis Story: game in the vein of latest Castlevania games, with different playable characters and difficulty levels, ranked boss fights, and those pesky rpg mechanics everyone loves!

26Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:31 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Hyperlight Drifter looks cool. Damn, another for the list.

27Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I actually played a bit of Drifter, very well done game. Also major props to the developers for pretty much remaking the game to support 60fps later-on.

28Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:45 am

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

Birdman wrote:Hyperlight Drifter looks cool. Damn, another for the list.
Valdis is dope too, belive me.

Also major props to the developers for pretty much remaking the game to support 60fps
LOL really? I didn't know that, that's really cool. Stop this 30 fps nonsense XD

29Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah the original game was just 30fps since it was easier to code, since it was pretty much made by a single guy with some help. Eventually with a team they later-on saw the cry for 60fps and couldn't really, since the game was completely coded around 30fps. They flipped the switch on it and it was unplayable. 

They did rebuild the whole thing just for 60fps, for a free patch. That's dedication.

Read it in Edge once, they did a special on HyperLightDrifter.

30Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Ruiner is done, though only one playthrough on normal. As I said in the other topic, my save corrupted so I've lost all my stuff and wont be touching it again for a while though that's fine because my backlog rule is to just beat the games. When I've caught up with everything I'll go back and 100%/high score/tech research the games I find truly worthy.

Bought Journey for around $6 from the store. Seen people praise this a lot over the years and I do like these types of 'art' games usually. Played a few minutes but not long enough to form an opinion. I'll focus on this next then move on to some other short games I bought on the store and never finished, like Beyond Eyes and Limbo.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total

31Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:12 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Finished Horizon's DLC. Still have a few quests to do but my rule was to play to the end only, and leave replaying for later. This is extremely difficult for me to do. Horizon's combat is actually pretty fun and I just want to go hunt down machines again and try different weapons.

Moving on to Fatal Frame/Project Zero 5 now. Really looking forward to this.

32Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:03 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

As for a bonafide list, I don’t have one. I play whatever interests me at a given moment. As of late I’ve been playing Xbox games compatible with Xbox 360, as I’ve recently got a hard drive that can emulate Xbox games(yes yes, NG and NGB in due time). The list on wiki has a bunch of obscure and lesser known/under appreciated games that seem worth playing:

Dead to rights(really arcade like 3rd person shooter with mediocre beat em up sections also, I really like this it’s the sort of 6gen action game I was looking for)

Raze’s Hell(obscure Xbox exclusive 3rd person shooter, has some neat ideas and has a lot of personality with its world and enemies, which are ostensibly nazi telletubbies)

Panzer Dragoon Orta(3rd person rail shooter with weird DRAGONS, do be warned that the PAL copy has a bug that crashes the game at the level 3 end cutscene making it unbeatable unless you gain chapter select through 20hrs of play, to avoid this I’ve got the US copy instead)

Van Hellsing movie game(uncanny DMC1 clone, even down to the animations and game design nuances, but it’s hyper competent and deserves more respect)

The Suffering(spooky prison based 3rd/1st person shooter, can be played fully in both 1st&3rd person with pros/cons for each, it’s pretty much silent hill in prison with lots of shoot bangs)

Minority Report: Everybody Runs(legit beat em up starring Clancy Brown/Mr. Krabs as Tom Cruises character, has goofy ragdoll gameplay it’s hilarious)

Final Fight Streetwise(yeh its kinda crap but I dig it, doesn’t look or feel quite like final fight but God Hand is the true successor)

A few others I’ll add as I play them. Should have put this in the games played recently topic...

33Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:39 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I have the first Dead to Rights, Orta and FF. Didn't like DtR at all. Love Orta (got the JP version) and FF is actually ok. Mechanics aren't bad. I didn't spend a huge amount of time on it so could be more to it (or less lol).

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

34Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Some great little titles you got there Gabe! I used to love Dead to Rights when I was young. Never owned a game myself, but played it a lot at my friend's house.

Isn't Panzer Dragoon the prequel to Nier in some fashion? I remember they were linked. Or am I confusing names now?

> Van Helsing
The intro stage even looks similar. Gameplay looks servicable too (of course I couldn't find a single player playing it that wasn't aboslutely horrible).

Been playing a lot of Yakuza games to get ready for Yakuza 6's reveal. I think it's now my favorite (active (not dead)) game series. Such great titles. Other than that I dove into some Shinobi for the next article.

35Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:28 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Panzer Dragoon is a rail shooter where you ride a dragon. No relation to Nier. I've only played Orta which is an original XBOX game. I believe the older ones are on Saturn.

36Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Apologies, got the name wrong. Nier is a spin-off to Drakengard series.

37Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Since I just finished FF5 which had an awful final boss that only summoned existing ghosts, as if I hadn't fought the same ones enough over the course of the game, I might as well give Devil's Third another go and try to finish it.

I'm more accustomed to holding the gamepad now and the WiiU is still set up so why not? Might play Star Fox Zero and Guard after that.

38Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:27 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Let me know what you think of Devil's Third. I still hold it pretty high despite having boring enemies to fight and pretty generic weapons. But the combat is really excellent once you get it down.

39Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It's not bad. I played it once before and had real trouble with the gameplay but it's way easier now.

I really understand your views on this game now. It's difficult to get close since most enemies have guns so I just shoot and barely touch melee.

I did have some interesting and fun melee fights though. One was the boss fight with this Texas looking dude who became the Hulk once I got his life down. I switched to melee because he lost his guns and I wanted a fist fight. I started using the sword, but when I tried to block certain moves, the sword was blown away.

Another was against two guys with daggers in a hallway.

I've noticed there are two types of dodge; the standard roll and a step. Since I barely use melee, I'm not sure how I did the step. I'm guessing it happens when you press dodge while blocking? But sometimes I get the roll. Honestly I haven't even tried to figure it out yet. I've just been running and gunning the majority of my short playtime.

It's reasonably enjoyable though. I just wish I could get close to people. The slide is good, but not against rapid fire which I'm finding is all the time.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total

40Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

>Panzer Dragoon related to Nier

Haha, I got a chuckle out of that, maybe you thought so as the Japanese name for Drakengard is Drag On Dragoon(which sounds pretty similar and goofy for a dark fantasy series).

41Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:34 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I still need to complete Orta.

Just started Star Fox Guard, which was awful so I switched to Zero. Couldn't even do the first stage. I'll stick with my previous rule of never touching games with extreme motion controls. How anyone thought this was ok is mind boggling. I would almost call it a mental disorder. They're purposely designed to make the gamepad useful. Nintendo needs to abandon this garbage but I don't think they ever will. The Switch is using them too. What are they trying to prove?

This sums it up pretty well.

Now I need to figure out what to play next. My bro gave me Ni No Kuni 2 but being an RPG who knows how long it will take? And I know what you're thinking. Birdman playing an RPG? Not an action game with RPG elements but a real RPG? The answer is I love Dark Cloud 1&2 and this game is using some similar elements, both being from Level-5. Never played the first NnK though and probably won't. This one is more action with complete freedom to move in battle so it's more to my liking. The art design is fantastic too. So yeah, I do play the rare RPG under the right conditions.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total

42Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hey I'm not one to bash RPG's, my biggest timesinks in life have been Tales of Symphonia, Golden Sun dualogy, Baten Kaitos and World of Warcraft.

Really love that artstyle btw.

And yeah the whole motion controls was fun for a bit, and it's great for dedicated games like Wii Sports but please keep it out of regular games. I remember wanting to buy Star Fox Zero because it had P* at the helm but no thank you.

Bought Bujingai on a whim, it was on sale (5 bucks). Doubt I'll play it anytime soon but you never know :)

43Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Yeah it's that Ghibli style. Love those movies.

Bujingai is really interesting. You'll find it kinda basic, which it is, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have anything to it. I find people usually like it or hate it. It has some really odd mechanics and the ranking and combo system is solely based on continuously moving stylishly, linking your actions together inbetween fights. If you start playing it let me know and I'll make a topic.

I'm not sure what I'll move onto next. I don't have as many games I've never finished as I thought, but still quite a few. Because I've been reminded, I now want to play Panzer Dragoon Orta, but I don't have much space in my room so I can only have one console out at a time if I don't want everything to become cluttered. I was thinking Wind Waker since the WiiU is set up. I might actually make a lottery draw and see which of my games I get lol.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total

44Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Oh dear, why did I start playing Ni no Kuni 2?

Bought two more games today used too.

45Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Mon May 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Mentally done with God of Four for now, can barely get through the highest difficulty not because its hard, but its hard to stay interested. Popped in some classics this weekend like Chaos Theory, Max Payne 3 and Doom 2016 (yes that's already a classic haha).

46Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

You know all this stuff I've been saying about backlogs and not making mine any worse?

I was lying.

47Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Birdman wrote:You know all this stuff I've been saying about backlogs and not making mine any worse?

I was lying.
Oh boy, what did you do hahahaha?

I really need to sit down and finish God of War...

48Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Tue May 22, 2018 9:16 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Sometimes something random just triggers an idea in my head about a game and that's it. I'm gone.

Talking about no upgrade stuff with Tinkertrain reminded me of my unfinished Knack 2 NUR, which lead to single form runs, which lead to finding that high jump glitch. Then I had to test it everywhere and make videos which I've now edited and about to transfer to my laptop.

I also bought Little Nightmares, and recent chats with a Gravity Rush 2 pal has got me looking to get into that again. You can go into this sort of dungeon with multiple layers and tougher enemies, as well as bosses showing up, but mainly I want to get to the deeper levels to farm talismans. You can combine these and customize them. I want to build some that serve specific purposes or just do something weird. Someone already made one for highest Lunar style jump, longest distance rocket jump, and fastest gravity slide. I just want to mess around with that.

So it's not always a matter of buying too many games, but rather going back to old ones leaving something else unfinished.

49Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I also tend to analyze my games so closely that I find all this arcane stuff and start writing guides, but after enough time passes, just constantly testing the same game does eventually wear me down and I move on to something else...and do the same thing.

I don't actually have a problem with doing this, but it's one of the main reasons my backlog never seems to go down.

I recently just found in Knack 2, when you parry a dagger throwing guy, if an enemy crosses the path of the parried dagger and gets hit (assuming they survive), they enter a stunned state where they can't move for a few seconds. It's similar to the stun from hitting sunstone crystals, which is from gadget you equip that causes sunstones to cause a shockwave. The weird thing is this stun doesn't affect the one who threw them. It just does damage and they continue to throw.

This is something that you'll rarely see, and now I have to test it on every projectile that can be parried, trying to get enemies on the path of projectiles which is going to be a pain. Then, test again with the blade kick parry which could be different because it already doesn't follow some parry rules like the extra projectiles Shooter Knack generates on parry. It doesn't get those.

Woah, didn't mean to go off like that, but it's a good example. Peeling an onion more like.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

50Do you have a backlog? Empty Re: Do you have a backlog? Thu May 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Birdman wrote:I also tend to analyze my games so closely that I find all this arcane stuff and start writing guides, but after enough time passes just constantly testing the same game does eventually wear me down and  I move on to something else...and do the same thing lol.

I don't actually have a problem with doing this, but it's one of the main reasons my backlog never seems to go down.

I recently just found in Knack 2, when you parry a dagger throwing guy, if an enemy crosses the path of the parried dagger and gets hit (assuming they survive), they enter a stunned state where they can't move for a few seconds. It's similar to the stun from hitting sunstone crystals which is from gadget you equip that causes sunstones to cause a shockwave. The weird thing is this stun doesn't affect the one who through them. It just does damage and they continue to throw.

This is something that you'll rarely see and now I have to test it on every projectile that can be parried, trying to get enemies on the path of projectiles which is going to be a pain. Then test again with the blade kick parry which could be different because it already doesn't follow some parry rules like the extra projectiles Shooter Knack generates on parry. It doesn't get those.

Woah, didn't mean to go off like that, but it's a good example. Peeling an onion more like.

Please, it is only really interesting. It always surprises me how many of these little details can be in a game, though sometimes I also wonder just how useful some of these things can be. But still really like how a general combat engine, once in place, can lead to all sorts of interesting mechanics that probably weren't even intended to begin with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum