Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Been wanting to talk about this game for a while now, but never got around to it. Finally got my legit copy in the mail yesterday since I used to run a cracked shady PC version for a long time.

Basically it's a medival action game, but with a twist - namely that (outside of the demonic element from time to time) it's pretty realistic. Combat is more about tanking than dodging, since dodging barely existed back then. You had tons and tons of armor, and if that cracked you were basically dead. Your only way of survival is blocking, parry and tanking - which means taking a hit to your armor. Your armor protects you from harm and has three 'layers'. Namely head, body and legs. If they take too much damage, it will break and your HP can be nuked at that part. Lose all your HP, and you die.

The great thing is that this works in reverse too, and you have a ton of weapon combinations with a huge moveset with low, mid and high attacks to open up armor. Swords for instance are bad against armor, but great against skin - maces the other way around. So you're constantly switching, looking for that opening. Really great.

The game got a lot of flack for looking bad, running bad (30fps), having a weird story etc and the gameplay not being explained at all (I found out all the above by myself). But once you get the ball rolling, it is really great. It even support complete local and online co-op!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2The Cursed Crusade Empty Re: The Cursed Crusade Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:37 pm

AKheon

D-Rank
Veteran

Oh man, The Cursed Crusade... The movelist is impressively large for sure, but I gave up on the game somewhere after the half-way point. I ran into a particularly frustrating part.

That kind of detail in breaking off armor is pretty neat, though, didn't notice it myself. On my playthrough, I felt like the very limited weapon durability kept me changing weapons more often than any other factor.

I also noticed embarrassingly late that keeping the curse on increases the speed of everything you do by a whole lot. After that, I kept it always on whenever possible, even when just navigating around the levels.

3The Cursed Crusade Empty Re: The Cursed Crusade Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:08 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Glad it has some neat stuff going on, I'll pick this up and play it with my dad sometime.

4The Cursed Crusade Empty Re: The Cursed Crusade Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I've seen this in bargain bins occasionally and have been meaning to look it up. The mechanics sound quite interesting, though tanking is not a playstyle I enjoy. Will look into it or just grab it next time I see it.

5The Cursed Crusade Empty Re: The Cursed Crusade Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Same here, it is neat to see a game employ and encourage tanking to such an extent.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum