GN1
Infinity_Divide
Royta/Raeng
Birdman
GodModeGOD
34 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1What are you playing right now? Empty What are you playing right now? Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:34 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

I ain't playing shit. Though if I come back to something, the last two things I had on my plate (for lack of access to Wulf's cheat or mods) would be GoW1 testing with RotG (RP building focus, but also use) and I think I had some GoWIII stuff I wasn't quite finished with just yet. I forget.

2What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:53 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

FIre Emblem Warriors Three Hopes.

But I'm about to quit and sell it. It has become a drag to play. Too many same levels, too much RPG horror. Bonding sucks, upgrading sucks. Going to take way too long to get to a point where I have all the tools. Don't like the class system due to how it levels up. Enemies are boring.

Only two Musou games in recent times that I like are DQH1 and Hyrule Warriors AoC.

I started a DQ11 run with almost all the Draconian options turned on. Stronger monsters, no exp from weak fights, game over when protagonist dies, no armor and no shops makes winn8ngbany fight completely RNG. I'm not joking. I don't have any input. The randomness is insane with enemies getting two turns, whether they all target the protag or not. It's absolutely awful. Other DQ11 players have confirmed it's largely RNG and luck. Doubt I'll continue.

Is it time to return to pure arcade/action?

But there's still some RPGs I wanted to try like DQ8, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Though I assume it's highly unlikely those will be highly replayable for years like good action games are.

3What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:31 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Definitely give Lost Odyssey a try if you have the time, it's a fantastic RPG, doing a no-slotupgrade run currently and it's a fine balance of challenge.

> what am I playing
Just finished Halo:CE again on my original Xbox. What a fucking game, so good.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

4What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:06 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Just finished FF7R again with the Mrs. It’s a great game despite some annoying issues.

Tried Mass Effect 2 and 3. They seem pretty good mechanically but all the dialogue, the ugly aesthetics, and the wonky controls turned me off. I know the story is the main attraction for most people but I don’t care enough to sit through it.

Been trying to beat Final Vendetta on Ultra. It’s a really solid BEU, but if I’m being honest I usually just want to go back to streets of rage 4 while I’m playing it.

5What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:48 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

ME:2 is pretty cool, but I can understand its cracks showing now. Back then it was pretty cool to see all the different results and then years later transfer your files to ME3 for the grand-finale (which was ass). The style was pretty cool for me though, same with the dialogue. It was all very "MCU" before the "MCU" became a thing though. Lots of quips.

Have you tried Dragon Age Origins?

6What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:00 pm

GN1

B-Rank

I'm not an RPG player, but I'm also interested in Valkyrie Profile (at least 2).

I tried it for 5 minutes and from what I can tell, it's like a turn based RPG, except that when it's your turn it plays like an action game where you can combo and juggle enemies with all 4 face buttons, each face button assigned to a different party member.

Currently playing God Hand, on stage 2-4 on hard KMS. I recently came back to it and just found myself replaying the Azel fight (Normal lvdie KMS) a lot so I didn't make any progress. It's amazing how Azel can be very aggressive and defensive, and yet every move/mechanic can be effective against him when playing well. I also managed to counter him a few times after he unleashed his devil hand which is neat (can't do it consistently though, not yet at least).

7What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Been playing Triangle Strategy for about 50 hours now. About to finish the first run. There are more endings and characters to unlock.

Didn't think I'd ever enjoy another JRPG again. It has tins of elements you don't often see. Every character is unique.

Eventually I'll drop a pile of notes in the dedicated topic.

I'm now looking into Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre.

8What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:51 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

I'm halfway through Blood Death Wish and I'm not that impressed so far. The setpieces and level design is great, a lot of creativity on display and there's always a new trick in every level, but the encounters are lackluster. Nothing that elevates Blood's combat mechanics that much. A lot of group of zombies and hitscanners in open areas which can be dealt with with one button. Very few interesting enemy placements or enemy combinations in general. I hope episode 3 can deliver but I don't think so based on what I've seen. Even episode 1 had more hectic encounters. Maybe I should pitchfork start.

9What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:25 pm

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

>Death wish
Damn that's a shame. I imagine the problem is Blood has only one really good enemy (Cultists), so it's probably harder to build encounters compared to something like classic Doom. Or they just didn't execute well enough, IDK.

>topic
Alien Vendetta WAD for Doom, almost done but this map (map 26 Dark Dome) is a real doozy so it will probably take a while.

10What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:28 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>harder to build encounters compared to something like classic Doom
Yeah that's the thing. In DOOM you can pretty much throw whatever in a square room and it will still be fun and challenging, while in Blood you have Caleb which is stupidly OP compared to any enemy. To have a challenging and interesting encounter you have to account for both enemy combination, arena and enemy positioning (plus whichever weapon you might have). 10 zombies in an open field are a joke, 10 zombies in a closed area can be challenging. DW so far doesn't have encounters that surpass what vanilla Blood has to offer, but it's still great and worth playing. Just don't expect something that it's not.

>Alien Vendetta WAD
I saw the YT vids. Mad stuff. Can't imagine completing a 1h map without mid level saves.

11What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:20 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I really liked BLOOD in terms of weapon design and just the joy of the build-engine, but the enemies didn't do much for me. I think DOOM just really has succes as you note from its enemies, you can literally just plonk 10 pinkies in a room as you note and it'll be good.

12What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Damn. Sounds really good.

Problem is it's still $70 here. At least it has a physical release so if I end up buying and not liking I'll be able to sell it.

Edit: Meant to write that in the other topic regarding Sifu.

13What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:03 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

The weapons are fucking spectacular but also too powerful compared to the enemies. It's great to have dozen of options for any given encounter, but almost all of them result in giant groups of enemies dying at the press of a button. Maybe I should try playing on Extra Crispy...

14What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:40 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

SIFU never got a physical release from what I know, only that scammy "Limited Run Games" version which is always more expensive than crack. In this case I'd just say, get the digital version if possible.

15What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:09 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

To stay on topic, I was craving some pure action game goodness and bought Soulstice. Only played a little so far. It's pretty Bayo inspired. Dodge with a limit of 3 in a row which can be used to cancel attack animations, light and strong attacks which you can mix and match (but with no unique combos so far), double jump, aerial combos very similar to the ground ones and a pretty low gravity. Started on the highest available difficulty (of 3) and the enemies are really, really passive. Makes DMC5 enemies feel like NG2 enemies.
You also have a companion which you can use to parry (can either slow time down or deflect attacks), but the indication of the timing is a big button prompt. Hope that it's something like the Arkham games where they elimate it on the higher difficulties.

16What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:29 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Sifu did get a physical release. While I haven't seen it with my own eyes, it's listed for PS4 and PS5 in a few stores here. There are articles talking about it too.

17What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:04 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I'm once again on a modern Ninja Gaiden kick again with Dragon Quest 3 on the Switch.

Sifu: I have the Vengeance edition on the PS5. I was going to show but I don't have enough experience with posting images with my laptop. I'm not sure if Sifu is hard to find.

18What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:52 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

On the topic: i'm playing the Uncharted games again, including the ones I skipped. I am surprised by how gamey they are for cinematic games, they have a nice balance between the two. The original has the most 'arcadey elements', to the point of having a non-mashable attack string that gives you double ammo if used to kill an enemy - which is fun. Uncharted 4 has by far the best combat with how mobile you can be, pretty fun combat.

UC2 and UC3 have the best 'pacing' and setpieces.

Currently playing UC1 and then Lost Legacy.

19What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:44 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Put Soulstice on hold for a while since I got utterly bored only a couple of hours in. The biggest problems are the enemies and the encounters. Enemies are non aggressive, have a dull color that doesn't make them stand out from the background, are pretty spongy and there are lots of them, so encounters are both easy, confusing and unengaging. Will return to it since I'm still very early in the game, but I hope it gets better.

Restarted NGII on MN (without the weapons) to give me a shock to the system, and it delivers like always. Trying to use counterattacks and Wind Run more, the former especially since I barely used them, but I got the hang of the timing and they aren't too bad. Very powerful.
Struggled a lot in CH2, then I was prepared for the fight for the Talons, which I previously thought to be the hardest mob fight I've ever done, and did it first try. This game is weird sometimes.

20What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Yeah NGII always catches you off guard with that stuff, some fights you thought were easy can suddenly roadblock you too. Counters are super, super powerful indeed, the single slash counter of the Dragon Sword is very mobile and can immediately cancel into a windrun which is strong. Also works wonders against bosses, you can completely lock Genshin (both forms) down with counters.

Note that a lot of counters can also be performed mid-attack and during attack-recovery frames, which is interesting. Some also have insane delimb values.

21What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:39 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Still playing Triangle Strategy. Had given up on JRPGs.

Each character is unique and there's like 30. Still haven't added anything to the dedicated topic because I'm too busy playing. I have notes though, as always.

Also doing some Chaos Legion speedrun work in the side.

22What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 am

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>counters
The more I'm playing the more I get used to them. Especially useful after an Izuna Drop. Also love the transition from the aerial counters to the ID, good stuff. The game is still kicking my ass though. You basically need to play this daily otherwise you're going to get owned by the first group of IS ninjas and Mages.

>thread title
Managed to get MGS2 HD working on Xenia. Don't have to deal with patches or pressure sensitive buttons, and the game looks great too. The amount of detail is still top tier (the ice cubes melting will never leave me, if you know you know) and the game is still a great deal of fun. The downside is that I have to play on Hard before getting to EE, but this time I will do it. Only finished Extreme ages ago.

23What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:05 am

GN1

B-Rank

How do you find the Xbox controls compared to the original PS2/3 controls?

FWIW, there's a new controller, Retro Fighters Defender, that has full pressure sensitive support and works with PCSX2, and I heard it's a good controller that doesn't feel cheap.

24What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:37 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>Xbox controls
They are suprisingly decent, given that you can do everything you could on a PS2 controller, but they are still worse. If you have a pressure sensitive controller there is no reason to emulate the 360 version. I only do it because I only have the XONE controller. I tried remapping the shoot button on a R2 in PCSX2 but I was still missing some stuff (not groundbreaking things but I want to have control of everything).
IIRC the only problem with the 360 controls is that in MGS3 there was one option missing during interrogations, but I should double check to be sure.

>Retro Fighters Defender
Sweet. Might consider it after the XONE controller leaves me.

25What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:46 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Replaying NGII on MN, got to CH3 but I think I will stop. Despite me managing to beat CH1 without items it has been pretty rough. I'm taking something like 30 minutes/1 hour for certain fights, mostly because I don't want to spam UTs and FS into Izuna like the first time. I think I got too rusty. Might replay it in NG+ just for fun but now I'm focusing on MGS2. It runs decently on Xenia, no major graphical glitches so far, but in certain rooms the framerate drops a lot (especially the RAY rooms in the Tanker sections).

26What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:10 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

^ May I ask what are your PC specs? Can NG2 be played from beginning to end?

Wondering if an i3-10105 is able to run this game, as well as NGB (on Xemu) and RPCS3 in general. Not sure what would be a decent choice for a GPU (cheap, but enough to run anything with default settings).

27What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm

GN1

B-Rank

That CPU will not be enough for RPCS3, as RPCS3 needs both a high number of physical cores (ideally an 8-core CPU) as well as fast single thread performance. I'm not sure how Xemu runs nowadays but you should try it IMO. I believe you will be able to run Genma Onimusha at least.

I played the multiplayer of MGS3 on PCSX2 (PCSX2 and real PS2 users can play together on the same server and it works great). I still haven't beat any MGS campaign but I do know about some of the basic mechanics of MGS3, and they work very well in a multiplayer environment. Even when playing deathmatch it stays true to MGS3's core gameplay, making it a joy to play.

28What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:57 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I just started playing MGS3 as it so happens, so far really enjoying it! Very solid title, always a joy to play Kojima titles since they're so rich in gameplay. So many little details. Like in that area when you're surrounded by Ocelot Agents, I just blew up the window with a grenade to escape (who needs stealth!). Fact that it was possible made me smile.

29What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

Sure! Ryzen 7 3700X, Nvidia 1660 Super and 16 GB of RAM. Xenia and Xemu are more GPU bound than anything, so you're going to need a decent GPU (nothing crazy, in NGII I don't get over 60% of usage for my card). Your CPU is fine for that. For the GPUs now you can't find anything decent under 300$/€, but it depends on where you live. I'd say an AMD RX 6500XT is probably your best bet for a "budget" GPU (budget in terms of 2022 anyway). Otherwise a 6600XT or a 2060/2070 from Nvidia if you can afford it.

Note that NGB isn't super well optimized and has an annoying visual glitch in the lava chapter, but I still completed it up until Very Hard. NGII runs better on my PC despite being a much heavier game in theory. Basically solid 60 FPS except for a couple of segments like the infamous staircase fight, but even there it doesn't go below 45.

NGII can be finished on all difficulties and you can do all the trials. There are also costumes available. The problem is that you need a patch to get over a crash in one of the final chapters (CH12 if memory serves well), but that patch makes the game crash if you go underwater, so you need to deactivate it once you're done with the chapter. The only unfixable thing is that after completing each chapter or mission you need to reset the emulator since the game locks itself. Ironically if this happened with NGB you wouldn't have been able to complete it since that game doesn't autosave after each chapter. This glitch is only annoying for mission mode since they're much shorter than the story chapters.

As for RPCS3, I only used it to play MGS4 but it's pretty rough. That emulator is very, very CPU bound. My Ryzen was often at 90% usage, but your experience might vary with a different game (I know Demon Souls isn't that heavy for the emulator).

>MGS3
Great fucking game. Very different from 2 despite it being on the same engine. It has the highest ratio of gameplay quantity and quality of any MGS game. There is a lot of game to be enjoyed. So many scenarios also.
The multiplayer sounds interesting. Never played an MG online before.

30What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:32 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

GN1: I suspected that would have been the case. In this video:

https://youtu.be/QEdOzyuElMU

You can see that the frame rate drops in the beginning, and pretty frequently. That Ryzen is also marginally slower than the i3, and has the same amount of cores. Guessing that lowering the resolution won't change a lot.

That said, I only wanted to play titles that don't have PC ports (such as GoWIII, Ascension *yes*, Lollipop Chainsaw, and MGS4). Stuff like MGR, Vanquish, Evil Within, FFXIII, etc. all have PC ports (though I heard mixed things about XIII's).

>be able to run Genma
That's what I'm hoping. That, along with NGB, are pretty much the only OG Xbox titles I want to play.

>PCSX2
I was surprised to see that I'm still getting some frame drops on my own computer. Thought that jumping from a trashy Pentium from the 2000's to a 10th gen i3 would make a lot of difference, but it seems the GPU is quite important as well, since I'm only able to play GoW1 at full speed with the Vulkan renderer (otherwise I get 50% speed or even less).

Malcar: According to a single thread performance benchmark, it seems that those processors are about the same, although yours has 8 physical cores (and 16 threads) while mine only has 4 (and 8 threads), so I guess for stuff like RPCS3 you'll be getting notably better results. Not sure if Xenia needs you to have a lot of cores like RPCS3 does. Hopefully not. But this also means that MGS4 won't be running well on my machine.

>can't find anything for less than 300$
You're right. I've seen a GTX 1050 Ti being sold for 300$, an RTX 2060 (12GB) for 400$, and an RTX 3050 for 450$. Not sure if the latter would be any better despite it being a 'budget' card (since it ends on '50'). If not, I'll save up for the second one, just to be safe.

>NGB isn't well optimized
I heard. Did you experience frame drops frequently with your setup?

>visual glitch
Noted. Something to expect whenever I get around to it, then.

>staircase fight
Would you say those frame drops are about what you'd expect on a real X360? I heard even the original hardware struggled with that one section, so it wouldn't be surprising if Xenia has the same issue.

>CH12 crash
Is the patch easy to install?
>having to reset the emulator every so often
Oof. Hopefully I can get used to it.

31What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>Not sure if Xenia needs you to have a lot of cores like RPCS3 does
Can't say for sure but probably doesn't. I register very low CPU usage in both Xenia and Xemu.

>Did you experience frame drops frequently with your setup?
A bit yeah, but in general the game hovers around 55 FPS, which also means slowdowns. It's not terrible by any means (as I said I managed to beat the game 3 times on Xemu), but not ideal either. Hopefully they continue to improve the emulator. As for the visual glitch I forgot to mention that it was on an older version of Xemu (a year ago when I played it). I don't know if they fixed it yet but probably not.

>what you'd expect on a real X360?
The game runs much better on Xenia than on 360. It's almost at XONE level.

>easy to install?
Yes, you just have to drop a .patch file where the Xenia executable is, enable patches in the config file and then you're good to go.

>get used to it
It's really not a problem for the story chapters since they tend to be pretty long (1 hour without deaths, up to 3 with them). It's pretty annoying for the missions since those tend to be a couple of minutes long and have to be replayed multiple times to unlock them at MN difficulty.

32What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:42 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>very low CPU usage
That's good news. Unless Xenia requires more physical cores, I should probably expect to get roughly the same results.

>hovers around 55FPS
Not bad, I suppose.

>improve the emulator
I'm out of the loop (for good reason), do they get regular updates?

>visual glitch could have been fixed in a newer version
Noted.

>runs better than on X360
>almost on par with XONE
That's shocking. I didn't know the emulator(s) matured this much. Of course, it still has room for improvement, but still. Great news.

>simple to install the patch
Got it. That's what I wanted to hear.

>not a problem for the story chapters owed to their length
>more noticeable for the missions
Makes sense. I stumbled across some comment on accident claiming that you need to restart the computer each time you want to start a mission. Is this true? Hopefully it's just limited to resetting the emulator. Does Xemu suffer from this? Or RPCS3? Just want to make sure.

By the way, I saw some gameplay about Lollipop Chainsaw on a 8th gen i5. Seems to be roughly the same as my CPU in terms of single thread performance (or so the benchmark says). However, the i5 has 6 physical cores, but also 6 threads, whereas mine has 4 physical cores and 8 threads. Not sure if physical cores would make a huge difference.

33What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:17 am

GN1

B-Rank

@Phoenix Wright

Your CPU should be good for PCSX2 (it doesn't utilize more than 4 cores anyway), what's your GPU? Or are you using the iGPU of your CPU?

Vulkan is the best option anyway so keep using it. Although input lag is no longer an issue in PCSX2, if you still want to minimize it you can enable the optimal frame pacing option, though that increases CPU requirements so make sure you can handle it in the game you play. In games like KH1FM+2FM though you can safely use it. make sure to download the latest Qt AVX2 nightly version.

as for RPCS3, unsurprisingly, games like MGS4, GoW3 and Ascension are some of the most difficult games to emulate, I wouldn't try them until I'll upgrade to a top of the line CPU (on the plus side, those CPUs can outperform real PS3), and even then I'm waiting to see what Intel will release next year.

I mentioned Genma cause I know it runs fairly well and is fully playable so I believe your PC will handle it well, just don't go above native resolution (upscaling doesn't work for it).

@Malcar

Both MGS3 and MGS4 have restored online servers via SaveMGO. in MGS3 I played with both PCSX2 and real PS2 users and even used a 60fps patch, had no issues at all. Still haven't tried MGS4 online, but even there PS3 and RPCS3 users can play together. Check them out if you can.

34What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:29 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

>using the iGPU
Yeah, this. Until I have enough to buy a dedicated one, I'll be using the integrated option.

>optimal frame pacing
I haven't had problems with input lag, fortunately, but where is this option (just in case)?

>most of the games I wanted to play just happen to be the most demanding
...Of course.

>upgrade
On that note, I've never really built a PC by myself, so I don't know the process for replacing parts or knowing what's compatible with my current setup. As for CPU, what do I need to know to determine if a newer (or better) CPU works with my motherboard? Just the socket? Same for GPU, but I guess it would depend on the dimensions. My case is relatively small, but not extremely small.

Also, if you had only one choice (for the time being), which one would you go for? A new GPU? Or upgrade your CPU? Guessing the former is the most logical answer, since there isn't much you can do with an iGPU anyway.

35What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:25 pm

GN1

B-Rank

Optimal frame pacing is under emulation settings. if you try it and it's too demanding for what you are playing, you can also change maximum frame latency from 2 to 1 (You should probably do it regardless as I don't think it has much of a performance impact unlike optimal frame pacing).

Upgrade - in your case, I'd get a better GPU. No idea how much they cost in your area, but I would recommend at least getting a 2080 or 2080ti if those can be had for a decent price now that Nvidia release their 40XX series.

36What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:37 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

@Phoenix Wright

>regular updates
Most emulators do, especially the ones that still require it (so something like Duckstation and Dolphin get very few updates but only because they are basically perfect as they are).

>performance
I recorded the staircase fight on MN and it doesn't get below 50 frames most of the time. This was my second attempt because I used another program before but it had priority over the recording software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk-MBph-VKk&ab_channel=Hyperfist
If you want to see a slightly less awful attempt but without the FPS counter here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-KAa7TiA8&ab_channel=Hyperfist

>restart the computer each time
Not true, you only need to restart the emulator (which is a pretty quick process). Xemu and RPCS3 don't have this problem for the games I've tested, but neither does MGS HD on Xenia. It depends on the game.

>Not sure if physical cores would make a huge difference
For gaming they usually don't but RPCS3 is a different beast. It requires a lot of processing power, so I think they will make a difference but can't say for sure.

>PC building
You can use this site to check compatibility. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

@GN1

>2080
Those are still extremely pricey and frankly not needed unless you plan on playing in 2 or 4K or if you need Ray Tracing. Unfortunately the GPU market got hit hard by whatever has been going on for the past 3 years. One solution would be to buy used but who knows how long will a used GPU last, especially if it has been used for mining.

37What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:36 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

GN1:
>optimal frame pacing
Just tried it, and it doesn't look like GoW1 in specific has any frame drops. Pretty sure this title is notably more demanding than the PS2 KH games, so I don't need to try those. Still have to try it with other titles like DMC, ZoE2, and God Hand, but not sure if these are as demanding or moreso than GoW1.

>better GPU
Yeah, seemed like the most reasonable choice.

>how much they cost
Haven't even seen an RTX 2080 being sold, at least not new. An Msi branded RTX 2080 (again, used) is being sold for 400$. And like I said earlier, you can find the 2060 for the same price, but new (though the brand is EVGA, not sure which is better).

Malcar:
>most emulators do
Hopefully the Xbox ones are among these.

>Duckstation
Ah, yes, this is the new best choice for PS1 emulation, right? But given the hardware requirements, is there a reason to move on from ePSXe?

>link
That doesn't look bad, though I haven't seen footage of the staircase fight on X360 to compare. Still looks smooth enough to me, so that's good news.

>second attempt
Obviously I can't comment a lot given that I haven't played the game (and rarely seen videos of it), but if you completed it on MN of all things, I'd say you did good.

>only need to restart the emulator
Excellent.

>Xemu and RPCS3 don't have this problem
Just what I wanted to hear. But there's still the matter of getting a new CPU (and a new HDD).

>depends on the game
Oh, I thought this was an universal problem with Xenia. Good to know, but then again, I can't think of any other game on the X360 that I want to play.

>PC part picker
Thanks. Looks like the parts I picked are compatible.

Let's hope the RTX 2060 (12GB) is enough to run these games at default resolution.

38What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:00 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>Hopefully the Xbox ones are among these
They are pretty new so they get frequent updates. Pretty small stuff so far (they're pretty barebones when it comes to options) but they're getting there.

>best choice for PS1 emulation
Absolutely. You can also eliminate the "wobbling" effect the PS1 has, not sure if it's a thing for other PS1 emulators. If you don't find anything wrong with ePSXe then you can continue with it since Duckstation is pretty heavy on the GPU considering it's a PS1 emulator.

>I haven't seen footage of the staircase fight on X360 to compare
It's much, much better. Take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3a0coqNm0&ab_channel=xDragonInstallx
Note that the 360 doesn't drop that much in the framerate department, but it slows down a ton.

>second attempt
I was mostly trying to have fun with my fav weapon (the Scythe) while avoiding UT and Ninpo spam, but it wasn't great, used tons of healing items.

>X360 games worth playing
There aren't many that haven't been ported to PC in the meantime. I can only think of Ace Combat 6, Blue Dragon and Fable II. There might still be some that are worth emulating (like MGS2 HD or RDR), but it's not a super long list.

>hope the 2060 is enough
It's more powerful than what I have so it will absolutely be enough.

39What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:04 pm

GN1

B-Rank

If optimal frame pacing worked well for you in GoW1, it will also work well in Kingdom Hearts, DMC1+3 and God Hand, and perhaps also in ZoET2R (didn't try it yet on PCSX2). Only disable it and change frame latency to 1 if you have frame drops.

Duckstation is great, your CPU should be able to handle it without issues, give it a try. PGXP and other enhancements really help making games look much more tolerable like Malcar said.

RTX 2060 12GB will be good for emulation, and in RPCS3, PCSX2, Dolphin and Duckstation you will also be able to use higher resolutions in most games.

40What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:31 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Malcar:

>getting there
Sounds good. Guess we'll have to be patient.

>eliminate the wobbling effect
Oh? Curious.

>don't find anything wrong with ePSXe
It's mostly the fact that I'm used to it (and since it's a 5th gen console, I don't need crazy high resources to play games, even my previous dinosaur PC could handle most of them just fine).

>link
It didn't even take that long for the slowdowns to show up. Insane.

>UT
Is it that OP (assuming that's the reason you didn't spam it)?

>Ace Combat 6
Oh?

>Blue Dragon
Ah, yes, recall that Birdman posted some notes about it in a dedicated topic.

>MGS2 HD
If I want to spare my controller (assuming that one scene is as bad as people say it is), I might consider going for this alternative instead.

>it will absolutely be enough
Great news for me. Hope this is also enough for some PC ports of PS4/PS5 titles (like VII Remake Intergrade, Stranger of Parad- I mean CHAOS, etc.).

GN1:

>will also work with KH
That's correct. Works just fine. Haven't tested the others just yet, though.

>only disable it and change the latency to 1 if frame drops occur
Noted.

>give it a try
Alright. I'll try it tomorrow with CTR to see if there's any noticeable difference between it and ePSXe.

>be able to use higher resolutions
I'd think so, as well. But it's not a huge necessity (or a deal breaker) if I was somehow stuck at 1x resolution.

41What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:47 pm

GN1

B-Rank

PGXP in Duckstation is what gets rid of the wobbling in PS1 games, a real game changer.

BTW if you want to play MGS2/3 with the original PS2 controls, you can get this controller (and a Dualshock 2 USB adapter) and play them on PCSX2/RPCS3. at 1x native I believe they will work well for you. https://www.reddit.com/r/savemgo/comments/xs4gks/amazing_ps3ps2ps1_controller_alternative/ I haven't gotten one yet (waiting for the sixaxis version) but I'm hearing it's good.

42What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:06 pm

Hyperfist/Malcar

Hyperfist/Malcar
B-Rank

>have to be patient
I remember a couple of years ago Xenia only rendered the eyes of the NGII characters. The game became from unplayable to pretty good in a very short amount of time all things considered.

>Is it that OP
Not really into OP territory imo, just safe and a bit boring. Very easy to spam in this game. They are basically invicible super moves that are guaranteed to kill at least one enemy in most cases. You can absorb essence (which is something that dead enemies drop) while you land after a jump to charge them instantly. You kill a couple of enemies with it, they drop essence, you do another UT etc.

>that one scene is as bad as people say it is
In the HD collection the torture scene is much easier. On PS2 it lasts 55 seconds on European Extreme, in the collection only 15.

43What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:25 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Blue Dragon
I recommend Triangle Strategy instead.

44What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:13 pm

HotPocketHPE

HotPocketHPE
C-Rank

Still stuck on this Doom map, Scythe 2 map 23 (pistol start no saves). Hardest thing I've done in quite a while haha. I'll get it though, I can tell I'm improving over time.

45What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:23 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Tactics Ogre Reborn.

Triangle Strategy took a lot from this game. Too early to.say which I find better.

Archers are really good especially if you get them up somewhere high.
This has classes and class switching. And some can equip two weapons and you can select which before attacking.

Looks like a ton of shit going on and I barely understand any of it right now.

46What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:21 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

^ Pretty interested to hear more. Not sure if you've played Final Fantasy Tactics, but one of the reasons as for why I'm interested in Tactics Ogre is that some say it's on par or even better than FFT.

47What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:34 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Haven't played FFT yet. It's on my list.

48What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:42 am

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

I'm not a huge fan of SRPGs, but I still liked it. Kind of like not being super into shooters, but love RE4 nonetheless (also willing to play Vanquish and Doom).

49What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:45 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I'm liking them far more than turn-based.

You have terrain, positioning, and range to think about. Though I know there are many (probably most) that are no more than move into range>attack. There has to be more to them or I won't like them.

50What are you playing right now? Empty Re: What are you playing right now? Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:37 pm

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

I’ve been replaying GoW 1, Radiant Historia, and OG TWEWY back-to-back and having a blast. With GoW 1, I’ve found myself utilizing grabs, launchers, and collisions more and it’s made me appreciate how in-depth the combat actually is.
Radiant Historia has a simple but engaging combat system which has you switching turns between party members to line the turn order up in a specific fashion in order to combo enemies in a certain way on a 3x3 grid. On top of that, if the enemies attack you after you’ve just swapped a turn around, you take increased damage. Having Stocke use Fire Storm to stack up 1 row of enemies into another row then getting Gafka to use Dohatsuten to stack them all onto one place for Aht to use Dancing Death on them 2-3 times and then having Stocke uppercut the fuckers in the air with an Air Assault and then finish them off with the big dick Dead Fencer feels great, man.
As for TWEWY, I’ve been mostly evolving pins and testing out different loadouts and the properties of each pin.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum