F.E.A.R

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1F.E.A.R  Empty F.E.A.R Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users

Been playing this lately, a big favourite of mine. Have the 360 version its decent but the original pc version(2005) still looks great plus mods exist especially very recently some fancy redux mods are in the works. Really gonna save up for a pc.

It's known for its intense John woo-esque firefights with its great slo mo mechanic, sound design and some of the most innovative enemy ai in games to this day.

2F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Easily one of my favorite shooters if only because of the AI, it is one of the few games around that makes me feel really 'attacked' and fighting actual people. The tuning is just right in this game's case.

Never played the console version but have the PC edition for cheap. Sadly my laptop can't handle it anymore as I sold my gaming-rig. Really want to replay this game again (though I really hate the 'creepy girl' horror element).

What does the redux mod do?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:15 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

What does the redux mod do?
I'll have to find the trailer for it, the trailer was this September, it's a graphics(enhanced lighting, sound, textures, and effects)overhaul as far as I'm aware, among some gameplay tweaks and changes. Other mods have been made like a reshader mod, gore, and weapon mods. Also some new single player level mods.

though I really hate the 'creepy girl' horror element
I don't care for the spooky child trope it's so lame, I'm not scared by kids and horror seldom spooks me anyway. Plus many spooky sections are scripted so you can't move much making them walky sections. Good thing its infrequent enough to not be much of a bother.

I would have liked it if they did something more creative with the supernatural stuff in fear1 gameplay wise, for example: Perseus mandate expansion has monsters that hide in black puddles on the ground that appear small but become large when close, they grab you if you step on them and they often appear in dark areas with blood obscuring them(one is even in some water haha).
They where interesting as the main game is devoid of such hazards and they function uniquely since they can't attack you unless you step on them, most will not be focusing on the floor so it can take you off guard. It's an avoidable jumpscare for the keen player and if you do get grabbed you effectively have to fight the jumpscare itself haha.

4F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

5F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Bought it yesterday, gonna boot it up again right now! Here's hoping the console version isn't horrible haha!

6F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Okay. I am a bit embarrassed that I found this scary growing up. The combat is still pretty cool, and I love how the AI works. One guy was going to where I shot from and I circled around to jump over something to get a kill and he shouted "he's trying to flank us" and they adapted. Scary how good this AI was, and is. Really well done by Monolith. 

Otherwise it's a really bland game haha, I forgot just how boring the designs of the levels were. Tried a bit of the "instant action" maps which were a lot more fun than I thought. 

I can see myself getting more and more into this game.

7F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Well that's nice, I'm not great with framerates but it's a decent 30fps I think with some chugging here and there.

I'd recommend the fear files expansion packs for the 360 also, its the Extraction Point(continues from main game ending) and Perseus mandate(separate campaign with new mob faction) expansions on one disc plus some extra console exclusive instant action challenge maps. The console ports of fear had those also but they where about 4 maps and they are just simple main game asset reuse but the ones in the fear files are mostly unique areas and set pieces(one is a battle across an active subway). Both also have new mobs and guns(laser gun, minigun, arc laser, mobs that can use slomo like you).

The AI is really standout even now, it's actually mostly a series of prioritized routes to cover so they happen to flank you but that's a by product of them seeking cover relative to the player(their ai is also set to minimize the threat of the player not simply kill you), I've watched vids on the ai I'll find those. The ai speaks but that's to indicate it's moves to the player, the ai by that point has already made its decision.

The PC version looks much better, lighting and texture work(especially with mods) looks superb even today, particle effects are great too and all the envormental destruction really sells the John Woo hardboiled aftermath they where inspired by. Human character models look like plastic dolls, but i like the look of the replica soldiers, they have a sort of universal soldier look to them, very sort of 90s-00s soldier design, I dunno they look cool.

The level design for the most part(namely office levels) show off how good the ai is, since the ai is only as smart as the areas it can exploit due to ai's reliance on smart objects to even function effectively.

Oh and don't forget the great sound design, the shotgun in particular is a beast. Also I love the replica soldier sound clips, they sound so inhuman when they die screaming and also so human in how they panic and swear if you utterly decimate them.

It spooked me a bit when I first played it years ago but it's super tame now, I like to just ignore and maybe do sick jump kicks to the spooky ghosts, also many of the spooks are heavily scripted and limit the players movement so it's effectively a walky section but they are brief and infrequent enough to not be a bother.

8F.E.A.R  Empty Re: F.E.A.R Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Supa Kung Fu Action. Some Breakdown shiz right here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum