Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Trailer hit yesterday. Looks like a lot of modern Action RPGs around, not anything like the Tales series it seems to stem from. Chalk up another to modernization haha. Dunno though, feels very plain so far. Anyone?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Arise Empty Re: Arise Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

The fact that you just called it "Arise"... Don't think I didn't notice that little detail, you magnificent bastard.

3Arise Empty Re: Arise Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:06 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hahahahah! And here I was hoping nobody would notice that little detail Razz

https://stinger.actieforum.com

4Arise Empty Re: Arise Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:50 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

It seems a pretty generic action-rpg and this trailer doesn't do any good to increase my interest. Enemies are punching balls that don't retaliate too much and player's actions aren't beyond what I expect from a title in this genre. I don't know if the chosen difficulty is just too low but it isn't interesting to watch from my perspective.

5Arise Empty Re: Arise Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:18 pm

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

Made a review on this game yesterday and wanted to share.
https://www.backloggd.com/u/mageknight14/review/599832/
TLDR; it’s fucking awful

6Arise Empty Re: Arise Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:36 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

>less moves
>break mechanics and forced playstyle
>interesting properties removed
>super armor and lack of hitstun
Who is this shit marketed towards? Who anticipates a new ARPG and hopes it's just as described above?

>There's not really any room for real creativity or interesting situations arising
Oh you.

>tsundere
Wtf is this?

>if you kill her, you’ll be just like her
Usually one who has killed countless innocents, your friends/family, etc, and will go on to kill countless more unless killed.

>find her after slaughtering her henchmen
Who likely had families and were just following orders. What makes this villain more valuable than them according to this character? Because it's looking more like brain damage than anything else.

>bigger and badder villain immediately appears to kill her anyway
Is it OK with this character to kill THIS baddie then?

7Arise Empty Re: Arise Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:38 pm

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

>Who is this shit marketed towards? Who anticipates a new ARPG and hopes it's just as described above?
People who have no actual regard or insight into what makes action combat in games work, hence the exorbitant amount of praise this game gets.

>Oh you.
Thank you, I try.

>Wtf is this?
Japanese/anime term for a character (usually female but male variants do exist) who acts cold towards other people at first but can let down their soft sides once you get past their emotional barriers. There are some genuinely interesting and well-written examples of this archetype (Shoka from NEO TWEWY, Casca from Berserk, Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Vegeta from DBZ, etc), however, Shionne is not one of this examples. Shionne’s prickliness felt more like a barrier for the relationship between her and Alphen, while Shoka’s prickliness serves both to protect herself as a façade and also speaks to real genuine facets of herself. She has much more going on than a one-way development trip to defrosting, rather becoming more nuanced without losing her core self.

>Usually one who has killed countless innocents, your friends/family, etc, and will go on to kill countless more unless killed.

What makes it even funnier is how they were willing to take her to jail, in which she can easily escape from considering her magical abilities and the game presents no way of easily containing her with like, say, a magical jail enchantment.

>Who likely had families and were just following orders. What makes this villain more valuable than them according to this character? Because it's looking more like brain damage than anything else.
You’ve put more thought into this game’s story than the actual writers.
>Is it OK with this character to kill THIS baddie then?
He just kills her for not being strong enough and all that jazz, typical generic big bad things.

8Arise Empty Re: Arise Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:06 am

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

Also, the one of the biggest disappointments for me gameplay-wise has to be Shionne.
>was looking forward to how Shionne can potentially play with her bombs since I love setplay and traps in action games, especially since she can shoot them in order to instantly activate them
>they’re all just different flavors of homing projectile, launchers, or localized AoE with no additional effects outside of potential status ailments
>doesn’t even have a launcher arte unlike everyone else
Suffering

9Arise Empty Re: Arise Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:10 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>Japanese/anime term
Ok, that type. Is there a single word for this type in English?

> I love setplay and traps in action games
As do I.

>Shionne
She's the one with the gun right? I used her in the demo and had high hopes.

10Arise Empty Re: Arise Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:41 am

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

>Is there a single word for this type in English?
Not to my knowledge.
>She's the one with the gun right? I used her in the demo and had high hopes.
Yep. Unsurprisingly, they also messed up the monk and tank characters (Law and Kisara respectively). The appeal of monk characters in JRPGs is barehanded damage and tons of it and Tales has done its fair share of it (see Jude from Tales of Xillia). The problem with Law is that in a game where it feels like you’re hitting walking sandbags with little to no hit reaction and arbitrary superarmor mechanics, his attacks are incredibly unsatisfying to use and his artes are stupidly long and unable to be canceled from, leaving him open to attacks. Even more hilarious when you realize that his entire gimmick is perfect evades for buffs.

11Arise Empty Re: Arise Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:13 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>People who have no actual regard or insight into what makes action combat in games work, hence the exorbitant amount of praise this game gets.
So the devs decided to drop good mechanics for shitty ones, to please people who aren't even Tales fans?

Have the devs answered for their crimes?
It should be a law that if you're going to strip a game of anything that makes it good, you must explain why you've chosen to do something so retarded.

How would that conversation even go? You ask them directly why all the good stuff is gone in favor of the generic. How would they answer? There's no way they don't know it sucks. So they'd have to admit they did it.

Must have seen the success of no brain casual shit in some other title and tried to cash in. I couldn't do it, that is to say, knowingly create what I KNOW to be trash for losers to make more money.

12Arise Empty Re: Arise Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:13 pm

mageknight14

mageknight14
D-Rank

>So the devs decided to drop good mechanics for shitty ones, to please people who aren't even Tales fans?
Pretty much, yes. This one excerpt from a recent interview is pretty goddamn telling (shout-out to my friend GC for translating this)
https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/221221a
>Kagawa-san: Personally, when I saw the system that permits evasion even during attack motions (i.e. being able to cancel into a dodge at any time, even during attack animations) in PlatinumGames' games such as 『Bayonetta』 and 『NieR Automata』, I thought, 「That's not good.」

>Tomizawa-san: The era of canceling (i.e. canceling out of attack animations) is upon us.

>Kagawa-san:『Arise』 changing systems in the middle (of production) was quite difficult, but we made the adjustment so that it would feel as smooth as we could have.

Spoiler alert: it wasn’t really all that smooth.

13Arise Empty Re: Arise Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>translated
The whole article or just the part you quoted? Do they talk about the other issues?

>i saw the system that permits evasion
And clearly didn't see how the enemies are designed.

>I thought
If only.

>That's not good.
Good mechanics hater confirmed.

So he actually thinks removal of ALL good mechanics in favor of super armor and flashy moves that all do the same thing is good?

I wonder how he would justify stripping away all the stuff you mentioned and the super armor shit. He's only talking about cancelling here. And doesn't Arise have some form of cancelling? I'm sure I did something.

>Era of cancelling is upon us
Is this guy really in game development? Cancelling has been around way before Platinum stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum