You are not connected. Please login or register

Gamers vs Grumblers

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Gamers vs Grumblers Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:16 pm

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Gamer – someone who is gamesome. “I’m game”. A person of action.

Grumbler – someone who is at odds. “I’m disagreeable”. A person of complaints.

There was a thread here asking why are action fans being so divisive amongst one another. We should be asking now: Why are action fans not taking the fight to people who are continuously trying to destroy / water down the genre?

Everyone needs to look at a game that will help tremendously in these "nu-game" discussions; I took a lot of time in preparation for all this by reviewing Metroid: Other M. The non-stop talk about the story over everything else in the game was of great influence. I have not seen a successful discussion of this game (even on here) but I have found that there are three main categories that have to be taken into consideration: the game as it was expected to be, the game as it is, and the game as it could be. It is to be considered impossible to have a coherent / focused conversation with more than one person if all categories are discussed at once.

Our efforts can be coordinated here. Developing super reviews and then conquering the large forums.

The fans will win.

2Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Re: Gamers vs Grumblers Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:33 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin

> why are action fans not taking the fight to them
If anything that's exactly what's going on, but it's not as simple as that. A lot of forums and discussion boards are built to have naysayers or people with an opinion differing from the general concencous to be removed or downright not shown. Reddit is famous for this but the way Twitter handles your content is similar. Gamefaqs doesn't have this and as a result boards are rife with violent discussions.

Ask yourself this: when have you ever persuaded someone that you haven't met online? Not often. I have been holding a near personal crusade on Gamefaqs for the last 15 years to help people 'see the light' or 'doing gods work' as SBK would call it. I've perhaps managed to persuade five individuals. People will always have differing tastes, opinions, styles. Some will listen to reason, others will say 1+1 = 42 just to piss others off.

To add to this, most people don't read posts. They see a header, give their thoughts, and leave. The interaction is generally sorely missing.

Hence why I made this board, where likeminded people can just talk shop. I'm old and tired and honestly not interested anymore in persuading nobodies that God of War 2018 isn't the second coming of action gameplay or whatever. If they want to play that, go right ahead.

> the fans will win
Only if the industry isn't going to rival Hollywood anymore. The 2000's were the golden years. Gamingfans that just happened to be great designers were at the front. Now we're dealing with games literally made by spreadsheets of what will sell (and it generally does).

> Other M
Why am I suddenly seeing red? What's going on?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Re: Gamers vs Grumblers Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:12 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank

>Why are action fans not taking the fight

We have been. It doesn't work, ever. I've wasted way more time than I should have and regret it.

What I've come to realize is the majority is too fucking stupid and ultimately it doesn't even matter. I don't care anymore. I'll continue to work on my own content but it will be for those who seek it out willingly.

Another massive issue is, action games are too busy taking the fight to EACH OTHER. They're worse than anyone else.

>I have not seen a successful discussion of this game (even on here)

There's this guy who hates it on here and we're all terrified of him.

4Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Re: Gamers vs Grumblers Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:24 pm

vert1

vert1
C-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Gamefaqs doesn't have this and as a result boards are rife with violent discussions.
Then we have to keep Gamefaqs well-funded. We can't let it go the way of IMDB where real user feedback / comments was removed.

Ask yourself this: when have you ever persuaded someone that you haven't met online? Not often.
If they cannot be persuaded then we go to PLAN B: heavily influence them. I cannot tell who bought a game because of something I wrote but I know what I wrote mattered. Small purchase decisions on the user's same ecosystem are much easier to dictate to than person's outside of it who would have to make a large purchase decision.

How about setting up a Stinger Mag Game Awards in 2021? By gamers, for gamers!

I have been holding a near personal crusade on Gamefaqs for the last 15 years to help people 'see the light' or 'doing gods work' as SBK would call it. I've perhaps managed to persuade five individuals. People will always have differing tastes, opinions, styles. Some will listen to reason, others will say 1+1 = 42 just to piss others off.
Gamefaqs is only so persuasive because its so mechanically raw: there are no pictures there, no videos, -- it's all just using text and reason.

To add to this, most people don't read posts. They see a header, give their thoughts, and leave. The interaction is generally sorely missing.

Phone posters. They won't enter even a semi-involved fight against you at least.

Hence why I made this board, where likeminded people can just talk shop. I'm old and tired and honestly not interested anymore in persuading nobodies that God of War 2018 isn't the second coming of action gameplay or whatever. If they want to play that, go right ahead.
But have you co-ordinated your efforts with others using all avenues of attack? It sounds like you are going solo and getting burnt out.

> the fans will win
Only if the industry isn't going to rival Hollywood anymore. The 2000's were the golden years. Gamingfans that just happened to be great designers were at the front. Now we're dealing with games literally made by spreadsheets of what will sell (and it generally does).
Then kicking out the spreadsheet-makers is a high priority.

Birdman wrote:What I've come to realize is the majority is too fucking stupid and ultimately it doesn't even matter. I don't care anymore. I'll continue to work on my own content but it will be for those who seek it out willingly.

How about a Chaos Legion review? What you wrote has mattered because I would have never thought the game had any relations whatsoever to Astral Chain despite being aware of its existence thanks to owning its soundtrack on CD. You would be the first person of skill to actually mention that game in a review in regards to current affairs of PlatinumGames' latest. (Or I will in a matter of time. Heh.) I'm certain people would take great notice once a comparison video is posted highlighting the systems of CL, DMCV's V, and AC's Legion.

Once you put out the strongest piece of work on CL, you've got the field to yourself. People will click away at that stuff because they left the hard part of delving into the game themselves up to you.

5Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Re: Gamers vs Grumblers Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:22 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank

I'll be doing some work on CL soon. Just looking for a decent mic.

I'm not interested in making comparisons anymore. It always led to more arguing.

What I'm planning is a series of videos with commentary going over the mechanics. Not just for CL. Eventually I'll do Lollipop Chainsaw, Dragon Quest Heroes, Knack 2 and a few others.

I'm not really a review person. I don't know how to write such a thing well. My content will be a matter of 'take it or leave it'. Anyone who views or reads my shit will either be interested or not. Not really interested in arguing it anymore.

>field to yourself

I've had that for CL since release. But most of my stuff was boss strats videos. I did most of the explaining in messages that largely fell on deaf ears.

6Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Re: Gamers vs Grumblers Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:12 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
B-Rank

Royboy: >SBK
I taught him well. Certainly among my favorites. Of course, he would say "doing God's work" to make it clear which deity was in question. DEUS VULT invoked as with when I troll using the phrase "God wills it" (altered into talk of "AT's will" *regarding DB and THE SCORE of Vegeta over his thus far twice beaten vassal*).

>stifled discussions
GFAQs does the same, but not nearly to same degree as the others you note. This much is plain to see (or not *in the case of shadow banning and the like*). Funding, I'd say, is largely irrelevant beyond 'making ends meet'. The corruption is going to find it little by little. They've been working at it for years. As for pics/vids, it is slowly transforming into what GameSpot was long ago from what I'm seeing.

>most don't read
Bick is certainly most.

>tired of dealing with vicious, filthy casuals
It is tiresome work, yes. However, one has to keep moving forward. All must be converted. Evangelize for the Lord. It is your mission, Ranger.

>needs to give up going Hollywood
And say no to CCP bucks? Fat chance with the elites calling the shots.

>Other M
What a bitter disappointment that must be for fans of both NG and Metroid. I imagine it felt similar to myself seeing the teaser for Asura's Wrath before playing the demo (to learn the awful truth). Kenshiro (FotNS), Guts (Berserk), Pain (Naruto), etc. in a HnS (or at least BeU)? Sounds great. Sure would be a shame if it skipped being a GoW clone (some QTEs and CS mini-games) and went straight to being an extreme version of 'Raging Storm' cutscenes (and often enough a rail shooter).

As for discussing it, I never even touched Metroid. I've seen precious little (some speedruns is about it). I have a basic lore understanding for what that is worth. My appreciation for NG is a bit better (thanks to challenge runs, direct play through demos and listening to vets). What it might have been? What it was? What it should have been? All very amusing. Unfortunately, I cannot discuss 'what it is' in terms of gameplay at all. I don't even recall seeing a speedrun of it (let alone 'high level play'). Perhaps another time. No experience to know the issues at work (even overlooking departures from norms in the formula for either *the NG part only really factoring owed to the team*). Talk of how to improve it is also out of the question, really. Only what would be 'expected' comes to mind.

NOTE: "Kicking out" 'certain types' is indeed a solution, but not one easily achieved at this point in history, I'm afraid. Hardly seems like more than a pipedream, I'm afraid.

7Gamers vs Grumblers Empty Re: Gamers vs Grumblers Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:02 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank

Reading old topics is interesting.

I haven't changed my stance on fighting others over this. Complete waste of time.

While I don't like Twitter that much (my feed dominated by others' likes and retweets I mostly have no interest in and mute not being a good answer in most cases due to missing the stuff they post that I am interested in) it seems more useful for reaching more people and in this case retweets are great. I see people retweeting some of my Okami videos so they get around more. Then if they like that they can keep an eye on my page and ask questions. Might convince some to give the game a try.

That's about as far as I'm willing to take it. I won't deny I can be baited to a degree sometimes depending on the game. I made a comment on the DMC5 board a few days ago. It was in a topic discussing other action games.

Someone mentioned the return of Lollipop Chainsaw, that the game 'wasn't great or anything' and that in a sequel they should lower zombie health. People who think this are usually mashing the chainsaw attack or just not understanding the properties of each type of attack. And zombies don't have high HP in normal mode. You only see a huge difference in Very Hard and even then the same instant kill stuff applies.

I replied that it's a great game and zombies can be killed instantly a few ways.
The reply was not hostile but if it was I'd disengage. My past self would argue for days. Waste of time.

Edit: I went on a a little rant in this post that wasn't neccessary regarding his reply and what I thought of it. Exactly what I want to stop doing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum