You are not connected. Please login or register

Valkyria Chronicles

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Valkyria Chronicles Empty Valkyria Chronicles on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:41 am

Birdman

Has anyone played this and what are your thoughts? I don't care about spoilers.

I'm playing on the PS4 Remastered version and just finished chapter 7 where I had to fight the emperor's huge tank and then Selvaria showed up.

What I don't understand is why neither her nor the tank made any real effort to kill me. They had the max action points and could've wiped out my team 10 times yet chose to end their turns. I parked my tank near a rock wall and hid units behind once I realized she couldn't hurt it but she made no effort to simply walk around it despite having enough AP to traverse the screen.

I'm guessing the game imposes some sort of restriction in certain scenarios.

2Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:30 am

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
I played both VC and VC4 for the first time a little over a year ago and ended up adoring both of them. The story, the gameplay, the presentation, everything. True classics in my book.

All I can say is that the game's inner logic took me a while to get used to, but that it was well-worth persevering past the initial growing pains.

I can't recall the specific AI behavior you're describing without further details, but it's possible that they will always prioritize movement over aggression. Although that mission is notoriously difficult and restart-heavy. Almost impossible to beat on the first try without knowing exactly how it works inside and out. Took me a while to get through that one and a lot of players just bounce off of it and give up on the game entirely, unfortunately.

3Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Birdman

I must have got extremely lucky.

I was using a lancer to knock down walls around the camp at the far end and when Selvaria appeared she zapped him from the other end of the map as interception fire, making her unlimited range instantly apparent.

Nils, you did well. Rest in peace.

Thanks to that I quickly position my units behind my tank which was along this rock wall with a ramp coming down from the higher area where she and her team entered the battle. They all used their turns to move down the ramp, but when reaching my tank they just stopped caring and wouldn't move around it.

Selvaria used her turns to run back and forward, and the large tank only used it's big cannon on my tank now and then.

It was no issue to get a soldier to the ladder to hit the radiator because I knew she wouldn't come around to our side.

Another instance was on mission 10 I think. There's a bridge with a huge armoured train and you have to blow the supports. This tank and Lancers had tons of points but they'd attack once and end their phase.

Scouts seem really good. Their mobility is insane. I really like snipers too though I get pissed when they miss. I use the aim orders a fair bit. Tank cost makes me not want to use it as much as other units.

4Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:07 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Got this game sitting on my PC, I really need to get around to it...

5Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:14 am

Birdman

While I like this game, I'm starting to feel like I'll never go back and A rank every mission. It feels kinda exhausting. A lot of that might be just figuring out the missions. I die in the majority or at least get so badly beaten I restart, until I figure out where everything is or what the trick is.

6Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Birdman

WTF?

I just tried one of the DLC skirmishes and it's super easy and gives me an insanely strong rifle and tons of EXP. You can get as many rifles as you want.

Just did the beach mission. I think it's chapter 11. You need to use the smoke bombs to move past the cannon. Got destroyed halfway through just figuring it out.

One massive thing I've been overlooking is the concept of 'bunnyhopping' between camps. I never remember this.

For this mission I realized you can deploy with 1 scout, smoke bomb the turrets, take the scout through the gate and take the camp, then call all your units as reinforcements.

I'm still not getting much out of shocktroopers, mainly due to their range. Their intercept fire is fantastic though.

7Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 am

Birdman

Finished this afternoon.

Will play NG+ a bit.

Edit: Working on unlocking everyone's potentials.

8Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Birdman

I really wish I did all the side stories on my first playthrough. I thought they would still be there in NG+ and now I have to wait to get Alicia's last potential.

Alicia is so damn strong. Resist Crossfire plus Scout movement means you can run right through some missions. She has no negative potentials.

Some characters are useless though. They have negative potentials that kick in way too often. Susie has Humanitarian which means there's a chance she won't be able to shoot someone. Weird thing is I had it happen when I tried to shoot a generator behind a turret. Either it's actually just an attack cancel, or the fact that it counts the person you'll never see operating the turret.

Some Engineers have a similar one where they can't act so you lose a turn AND fail to heal your tank.

I noticed each unit likes or dislikes someone but I've never tried to set it up or had anything line up accidentally, though looking at Jann and Largo, having them together plus a few orders could be devastating.

9Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Isn’t Alicia, and scours in general, considered by far the best? I know scouts were nerfed somewhat in the sequels iirc.

>hunanitarian

Does it kick in randomly or does something trigger it?

10Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Birdman

>Alicia/scouts
Scouts have the highest mobility but Alicia has the best potentials. Everyone of them is good.

She has Resist Crossfire, and if you order Defense Boost you can run past most enemies. A rank is determined by how many turns you take so in a lot of cases you can run straight for the enemy camp.

>humanitarian
Shooting someone triggers it.
They're all triggered by something but I'm not sure if each has their own rate.

Like Alicia's Resist Crossfire triggers constantly, but that might be because I'm always throwing her into that situation.

11Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:24 pm

Birdman

Almost done everything the game has to offer. Just need to do the Expert difficulty skirmishes.

It's incredible how powerful some of these characters can get when using orders and triggering potentials. What were some of the hardest stages in my first playthrough are now 1-2 turn speedruns. The ranking system is based solely on how many turns you take and is definitely designed to be done in NG+ with all these abilities unlocked.

One of the most insane is Awaken Potential which makes the chosen character trigger theirs more often. Most of my A ranks have been running Alicia right through enemy fire with her potentials going off. It's like she was purposely designed for it alone.

12Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:40 am

Birdman

Got the Platinum trophy.

Only thing left is those expert skirmishes but I'm a little burnt out and they'll take me multiple retires figuring out the A rank.

I'll play something else for a while then try VC4.

13Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:10 am

Birdman

Just thinking about those Expert DLC skirmishes.

One wrong move and you're finished. They're like a puzzle and your choice of character is far more important than the main game.

These missions really taught me the power of flamethrowers. I kind of ignored the tutorial and felt like I'd never really use them due to how close you have to get with shocktroopers, but once I figured out how much damage they do to soldiers hiding behind sandbags and manned turrets, they instantly became top tier. My mind reeled at how many times I could have used them in the main game.

14Valkyria Chronicles Empty Re: Valkyria Chronicles on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank
Yep, flamethrowers are super useful if you know how to use them.

I kinda underestimated shocktroopers on my first playthrough, but they can be really powerful with the right positioning. I think they're easier to use in 4, iirc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum