You are not connected. Please login or register

What the hell happened to anime?

+2
TheFirmament1
Birdman
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What the hell happened to anime? Empty What the hell happened to anime? Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I grew up with shit like this. This is my favorite style.

Nowadays it's like they removed all the detail if not just went full CG.

There is some decent stuff these days from a few key animators but largely I hate the way stuff looks.

2What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:44 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

If you're talking mainly about the amounts of detail, no shortage of that over here on the manga side.
JoJo, especially part 7 and 8, which are also the best parts in general. You can just start from part 7 with no trouble, since it's a reboot, but there are tons of references to past parts. You should also read these in colour.
Berserk - Do you remember the specific event that was happening when you stopped?
Vinland Saga - At some point, they switched from weekly to monthly, and it's immediately obvious.
Vagabond - Just keep in mind it's been on hiatus since 2015.

3What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I haven't seen a lot of anime sadly. Maybe they have gotten lazy?

4What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:47 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Yeah the detail, character designs, machines, just everything.

>Jojo
Absolutely love it. I got up to the one after Steel Ball Run but at the time it was incomplete. I remember he lived with a weird family and the dad's Stand looked like jigsaw puzzle or something. Forget where I was up to. It was after the woman who had that motorcycle Stand though.

>Berserk
Guts teamed up with Zodd and was riding on his back. I think they were fighting a wizard in the ocean.

More fun.

5What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:27 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>JoJolion
Here, just at the end of the "Born this way" fight. Directing you here right now, because MangaDex is down. I think this one here is the link to JJL colour on MangaDex, which has all the colour chapters.

>Berserk
Here should be about right. My memory of Millennium Empire is pretty fuzzy, I distinctly remember not being as invested in Ganishka as some of the other villains, like the Neo-Band of the Falcon. I'm also directing you to this site, because the Band of the Hawk translation is absolute shit.

6What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

There are still quality shows, but generally speaking speed is the key factor in making a profit these days, hence outsourcing to Korean animation houses or even automated animation with touching up. There's still a lot of passion in it, but like with games, suits tend to influence it in a very bad manner. You won't quickly see something be made on the level of Akira or any of those you just mentioned today with very few exceptions.

That said, you are also cherrypicking. The 80's and 90's also had a lot of bad material as well, just as today, you just never remember those just as we won't remember the bad ones of this generation.

That's my take on it though.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

No I know that era had it's crap but I mean the way stuff is designed as well. I recently deleted a whole pile of 90's shit that had no good drawing or scenes.

I was watching this old mech anime called Dorvack and with most of the fights over 40 something eps the drawing goes super good with all kinds of creative and weird camera angles. I'm going to make a collection of these scenes. Some of them are just...like how does a person think of those kind of angles? Brings a huge grin to my face. The way beams and thrusters are drawn, missile trails, smoke trailing down a barrel, pushed back by the force of the shot. All these little details.

I do get why character designs change but I'm old and hate young people, and that doesn't mean the changes don't suck hard ass.

Rarely will you see a vehicle or robot these days that isn't cg. Instant pass for me. You never see those super detailed yet clunky cockpits with hundreds of lights, dials and buttons. Nowadays it's just a sterile room they sit in.

I don't actually even watch full episodes of anything anymore. I just skip through to see if there are good scenes.

Star Driver was pretty insane. The character designs were trash but the robots and fight animation was incredible. It actually used that style from the old animes.

Go to 2:25 for when he pulls out the green sword. That style right there.

By the way did you guys know there is a ZOE series? It's called Dolores and it is so shit that I firmly believe those involved should go to prison. It's about this pink orbital frame that acts and sounds like a little girl. The animation might as well not exist. Personally offended.

Last edited by Birdman on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

8What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:55 am

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

It suffered the Hollywood syndrome, it became saturated and the main demographic is now China.

9What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:21 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Found this old one called Hakkenden. The first half is really well animated with a unique style, but the second half is utter garbage to the point of being a crime. The exception is one episode where the animation completely changes to this bizarre style where the characters appear more basic with less lines and shading, but the animation is fluid. The character design is all realistic and their faces are ugly.

I swear I've seen this style once before but I can't place it. I can actually see the anime in my head but can't remember the name, and it was a similar case where it was only one episode like this.

Eventually I'll put together some clips.

10What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:57 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Watched Locke The Superman recently. Quite a few great scenes, particularly this one where a team of psychics run through this base and shoot all these soldiers from a first person perspective. The soldiers are popping out from cover or from doors and around corners like Time Crisis or something. Fantastic scene.

Go to 35:55

11What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:11 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

For fuck's sake!

12What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Spriggan and Getter Robo. Two of my favorites.

Just found out they're getting new animes. Watched the trailers and nearly vomited. They're using that fucking awful 3D animation.

13What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:47 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Jujustu Kaisen kind of sucks. Way too much horrible 3D shit.

14What the hell happened to anime? Empty Re: What the hell happened to anime? Thu May 06, 2021 5:01 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

If you want a recent non-CG mecha check Gundam Thunderbolt(watch the film versions), it's some prime 90s action your looking for. If your not into Gundam(since you haven't mentioned) you don't really need to know the lore to understand the plot, it's fairly self contained like many of the better Gundam series are(War in the Pocket and 8th MS team come to mind) and the OST is RAD.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]