TheFirmament1
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ghost of Tsushima Empty Ghost of Tsushima Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:21 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

I've got a bit more faith in this game than other PS4 exclusives, because it's made by Sucker Punch, and I generally like those guys.

Looks a bit like the Arkham games in terms of stealth, at least. And the combat is kinda counter-y, somewhere between Sekiro, and Assassin's Creed. Although the gameplay's probably scripted as fuck here.

I'll keep this thread updated with trailers.

2Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:22 am

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

Yeah it really looks like the Arkham system. I sometimes wonder if it can be like Hotline Miami where you can hit and die once.

3Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

New gameplay

Combat seems like Arkham/Assassin's Creed, has too much slow-mo in this footage for my taste (Hope we can turn that off). There are different stances that are more effective against enemy types. Unsurprisingly, the game is all about efficiency.

Stealth seems pretty basic, again, kind of like Arkham/Assassin's Creed. Distraction objects, crouching, you get the picture.

Has the Ninja Gaiden 3 thing of enemies getting scared of you, will probably do that better than NG3, considering how low the bar is.

RPG elements as usual, involving customizable armour and charms.

Kind of losing my hype for this game, looks like just another bland PS4 exclusive.

4Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu May 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

>exploration

Looks like the usual open world collectathon we've seen a billion times before, only they're trying to mask it with different methods of finding the billion points of interest with landmarks and animals. I imagine the animals will obviously obstruct you to get you following them.

The wind is just the dotted line GPS. Making it a gust of wind doesn't change anything. It's just a paint job.

>combat
>no wasted energy, every strike must count

Headshots a guy while standing in plain sight, alerts the whole village and gets surrounded while having to deflect arrows. I'm sure that really saved on energy.

Looks like extremely boring parry combat. AC/Arkham as you noted. All we need is the fast guys, guys with shields.

>Stealth

Looks especially hideous. Traffic light system so no thinking needed.

When I was a kid, my dad had this yellow car. Forgot what kind.
One day he decided to paint it white. I think he had some kind of financial issue and some company were trying to repossess it.

Problem was he painted it with house paint. This resulted in a streaky mess. You could see all the brush strokes. From a distance it appeared white but upon closer inspection you could still see the yellow underneath.

This game is that yellow car.

5Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 12:23 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

Cue every low tier scrub saying this looks fantastic, deep combat and amazing open world, muh story. I knew this game would be ass when they showed about 1 gameplay trailer before now. You don't do that for a good game. You do that for a generic open world walking simulator.

Judging by how this looks, I am expecting about 20 fps gameplay on base ps4. I really don't think I can deal with 30 fps games anymore. Just spent a grand upgrading my pc. Unless it's a Yakuza or SMT title, I'm done with console games.

6Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 1:55 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

Looks as bland as bland can be.

-Open world
-“follow the objective marker” signs
-Camps/side quests, but they’re marked by smoke signals, so I guess that’s supposed to be interesting
-“Play your way” trying to emphasize combat and stealth
-Enemies stand around waiting to be countered
-Stealth consists of “throw x and then do a stealth kill”
-Inevitable detection during the bad stealth which culminates in every enemy just knowing where you are, and still not being a threat

Not to sound overtly negative but this looks bad. I fear we’re heading for a major drought of legitimate good games with the way every AAA game being the exact same junk with a different coat of paint. Every game has to be this hyper serious, grounded, open world, padded snoozefest with de-emphasized mechanics. It’s just tiring.

Sony is an especially bad offender of this, GoW2018, Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Horizon, and now this. None of these developers are allowed to think outside the box, take risks, or have any kind of fun. I guess we got Death Stranding which was certainly unique but I don’t find these rare exceptions to cut it anymore. I feel we only have a small number of reliable devs anymore, but even then, they’re still restricted by their publishers in most cases.

Rant over.

Last edited by Infinity_Divide on Fri May 15, 2020 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

7Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 2:07 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

You know a game is questionable when they start using terms attributed to the character while describing gameplay.

'Every strike counts' and 'saving energy', while showing a guy just countering and slicing.

It's the Shadow of the Tomb Raider's 'become one with the jungle' thing that never actually happens in gameplay all over again. You're just using dead basic stealth in a jungle setting. That's it. This kind of shit is essentially a scam.

8Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 4:12 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

This game might have the enemy slowest swing animations I have seen in a long time.

>Not to sound overtly negative but this looks bad. I fear we’re heading for a major drought of legitimate good games

This is why I recently picked up a Vive. VR games like Boneworks and Superhot are really pushing the boundaries of what an action game can be, and in the case of Boneworks, not holding your hand one bit. Like it used to be. Shooting a guy in VR was more thrilling than any game I have played since I guess TEW. I am losing sleep over video games again, and that hasn't happened in a long long time.

9Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 5:02 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

>No fun allowed
Supposedly, Sony actually gives the studios a lot of creative freedom. If that's the case, then it seems more of a case of the creators not being able to think up of anything creative, or unique.

>pLaY yOuR wAy
A.k.a exactly two playstyles. Y'know, the Ubisoft approach.

Speaking of Ubisoft, a lot of people have been saying "This looks more AC than AC!" That's not wrong, but that's also not what I would consider to be a good thing at all.

Sad thing about the combat is that Arkham combat can be really fun, and addicting. But this just looks like a slower, less fluid, and boring version of it. Y'know, like original Assassin's Creed combat. Slow-mo this, slow-mo that.

What's particularly disappointing is that this is from Sucker Punch studios; Y'know, the studio that made the inFAMOUS games, which were a hell of a time to move around in, and fight. This is where I have to disagree with the director; What made your open worlds great was definitely not the exploration and the stuff in it. It was moving around in it, and being able to finish sidemissions, and grab collectibles really, really quickly. Not trying to act like I know more about their games than the director themselves, but... Are they just not really getting what made their games fun in the first place?

I see basically no reason to play this game over Arkham, or Nioh 2.

10Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 6:46 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

They don't even talk about actual combat mechanics. Just stuff that they think sounds cool like 'save energy every strike counts'. What about the strikes themselves? Nothing. That's because they're most likely those magnet attacks with no spacing required.

They put more effort into telling us how to find fucking collectibles and loot with their disguised GPS wind and animals.

I know I sound harsh, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. It's not looking good though.

11Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 11:11 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

This game is probably the epitome of what I've seen in terms of AAA gamedesign. Tells you where to go, automatic combat, cinematic interface, automatic stealth, tons of slowmo, it checks all the damned boxes.

I do feel sorry for the developers though. Suckerpunch made some great games before and Infamous was always this great hybrid between open-world and good combat. Taken aback by just how by the numbers this title is. And of course it is popular and will sell like hotcakes.

That said, none of my casual friends are even remotely interested in it. They're all hyped up for the Unreal5 footage showed this week and this 'looks okay' in their eyes.

> Yellow car
Painful, but apt.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

12Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>they don’t even talk about combat mechanics

They never do in these hyped up trailers and demos. Always say the most vague stuff to drum up interest from casuals. It’s the same crap we get when companies talk about how open their games are, with how much “freedom” you have.

>disguised wind GPS

When I saw the “wind to guide you to your destination” I literally rolled my eyes. It’s a glorified objective marker, who is seriously impressed by stuff like this? Absolutely baffling that in a game with such little information up to this point, they actually included that into the demo.

13Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Yeah, I have a mixed reaction to the new reveal.

I am absolutely going to buy and play this game as it looks gorgeous and is the Assassins Creed/Tenchu-like game I have always wanted in feudal Japan. But it totally is the epitome of AAA open-world games, which is normally not my cup of tea at all. I will make an exception for this just based on how much I love the setting, etc...

But, as pretty as this game might be----it just absolutely reinforces how important and separate games like Nioh 2 are. Similar settings but Nioh 2 is going for a totally different experience and thank god we are still getting games like it from devs like Team Ninja that are not necessarily AAA and are not catering to the casual, open world game design....

14Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>When I saw the “wind to guide you to your destination” I literally rolled my eyes. It’s a glorified objective marker, who is seriously impressed by stuff like this?

It's really dishonest. It's like they know how shitty those mechanics are but instead of NOT making the same crap they try to disguise it and then show it off as the best thing since sliced bread.

15Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Pre-ordered this and very excited to finally try it out this weekend.

I hardly ever play AAA or open world games but making an exception for this given the amazing looking Japanese setting. I am keeping expectations fairly low but what I’ve been hearing about the combat from people I respect is very positive (for casual action games).

16Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Seems to be pretty decent if you know what you're getting into. The 'performance mode' seems to be a joke though, the only differences is that it is a bit more stable 30fps instead of going from 24 to 30. Let us know how it goes!

17Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:37 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

That is hilarious the performance mode gives you 3 fps haha.
The thing about this game that really irks me is the sword animations. I don't know if they are more realistic swings than something like NG2, but they don't look like something a cool samurai would do.
I hate how much he one hands the katana seems impractical to me.
Western devs are really just ass at melee animations in general.

18Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 am

hebass

C-Rank

Should arrive tomorrow and will certainly be playing this one. I've wanted to play this since the first day I saw the trailer what seems like years ago :)

19Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:13 pm

[][]/\Casual

[][]/\Casual
C-Rank

First party playstation games at 30fps.

No surprise really. Even ps5 games will be running at 30fps. One can only hope that their "performance modes" will actually be 60fps.

Game mechanics?

What's there to talk about really. It's not like they are doing anything unique. The combat will be much like what we have experienced with Assassin's Creed games. The only quality that they can market is "how the game feels." Interesting since the animations and feedback don't look so amazing, at least not with what I've seen so far.

The game will sell and review well regardless. Almost seems like Sony doesn't really have to show gameplay to appeal to gamers at this point.

20Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Let us know how you end up liking it Hebass! Despite the negativity or mixed responses, I'm honestly always up for a eastern styled action game. Let me know!

> game mechanics
A lot of casuals will quickly ignore things like the stances the game offers for example, think there'll be fun in seeing if there isn't more on offer with that.

> gameplay doesn't sell
Sad, but true.

> performance mode PS5
I believe you mean to say "PS5 pro".

21Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:02 pm

hebass

C-Rank

Will do! I feel similarly, I love these themes in games as well and have played lots of them.

I hear you on gameplay doesn’t sell at times...but people will poop on the game if it doesn’t live up to its hype. Some games, I buy with my gut. It doesn’t always work out, but it works out most of the time. Gameplay is key, a core loop that is fun/appealing is important and most importantly how it feels while doing it (at least for me). I typically don’t learn that information from watching videos, I need to feel it for myself. I’ve listened to people tell me that Onimusha was awful because you can’t control the character well, but I enjoyed the heck out of that game. Same with Genji on PS1. I’ve had the flip side occur where I’ve seen gameplay of something and get super excited, only to be let down when I get my hands on the game... this happens in 2d platformers mostly. My brain may be limited in that it can’t project well into what it would be like to actually control the game. On a very much related note, I’m guessing that’s why I don’t enjoy watching other people stream games, I can’t connect to the game...maybe I’m supposed to be connecting with the person and the game doesn’t matter...but I’m old and don’t understand haha.

22Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:28 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

>I’ve listened to people tell me that Onimusha was awful because you can’t control the character well, but I enjoyed the heck out of that game. Same with Genji on PS1

That's because in both you CAN control the character well. They can't, so they got mad and started the usual lies.

23Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:21 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

@hebass, any initial impressions of the game? It's still looking like a bland Assassin's Creed clone, but with nicer graphics.

24Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 am

hebass

C-Rank

True Birdman haha.

> initial impressions

Early impressions are good for me. I am not too far into it, though. It has a wonderful feel to it in terms of the environment, setting and it easily immerses me. The color schemes are very vibrant (depending on the setting you choose) and feel great. Your reference to Assassin's Creed is partially true, it has that feel in terms of open world and map and waypoints for main missions, side missions and collectibles, etc...the combat has a similar feel to it, but has some dodging mechanisms for different types of enemies that seems to keep it more interesting interesting as unblockables (early in the game while exploring). It's neat that non-engaged enemies will approach and attack you even if you're engaged with another enemy which makes you have to stay aware of all enemies simultaneously. It also appears there is a pretty heft set of techniques and stances you can learn throughout the journey...I've started with perfect parry path which is fun to try to execute. The combat slices feel responsive and seem to flow well. You can block and cancel an attack into a parry and things like that which feels pretty great. If you're looking for super deep, complex combos and options...this game likely won't have it, but it does have different paths you can choose to aid your combat experience...which I'm enjoying so far.

Keep in mind that I love action games, and I also enjoy Assassin's Creed and Nioh...and this game has a similar feel to those. Assassin's Creed/Uncharted are the closest thing I can get to Prince of Persia these days (I love that series). Adding the setting of Feudal Kamakura era of Japan to that type of gameplay is fantastic.

So there is a bit of bias in this one for me as I knew I'd want to play this the first day I saw the trailer years ago. I mentioned Genji, Onimusha, earlier, I've also played and loved games like Way of the Samurai and of course Ninja Gaiden.

If I had to point out any negatives to begin, it would be the occasional framerate drop/stutter (I don't have a PS4 Pro, still a launch day PS4). I'm playing with Japanese dialog and English subtitles...and the subtitles sometimes flicker in two different locations like it's rendering in one position, then on another the next frame...cycling back and forth. But this i minor.

I'm still very much at the beginning, exploring, admiring the beauty and have done a few missions to unlock some new techniques.

25Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:22 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

26Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Played about 10 hours so far.... I LOVE the game!

27Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:13 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Could you maybe describe?

28Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'm also interested in hearing more about it, that stance-video was interesting!

29Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:00 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Saw some interesting things in that stance video and others. I still don't think much of the melee combat at this point but it does look better than any AC I've played. The only thing that interested me was the kick. Looks extremely useful. I love knocking enemies into shit in games.

There are exploding arrows and charms that grant attributes so maybe some level of builds are possible.

30Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 am

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Sorry guys!  Work/life has been busy and I've been using all my free time to actually play the game.

So yeah, I can already basically tell Ghost of Tsushima is going to be one of my favorite games of all time.  Sorry for hyperbole haha.  I think basically the most simplistic way to look at it is a much better Assassin's Creed, with some elements/inspiration from Breath of the Wild, and maybe a little Nioh and Sekiro perhaps.  So, basically a very well designed and somewhat streamlined open-world adventure stealth game with obvious passionate care/focus paid to art direction, environmental design and the combat system.  This is for me the most beautiful game I have ever played easily.  But what I love about it is that it is not all graphics/looks over substance.

A note about myself---I typically have no interest in open world games and AAA games in general for that matter.  I've played Assassins Creed 1 and 2 only (they were just okay and barely held my interest) and Breath of the Wild (wonderful game but a bit empty).  That's about it for my open world experience.....tried Witcher 3 and got bored very quickly and found the combat too generic.  But, I do have a huge subject bias for all things samurai/ninja...so I am looking at Ghost of Tsushima from the perspective of someone who loves the subject matter and always intended to get the game.  My biggest question mark was would the combat be lame/generic as usual for a Western dev and would I tolerate the open world.

And basically the game has exceeded my expectations on both fronts.  The world is rich, beautiful and engaging--I actually want to do all the side quests!  And this is bar none the best "casual"/non-hardcore combat system I have ever encountered in a game.  It is MUCH deeper and refined than something like Assassin's Creed.  Obviously, this is a totally different kind of game so the combat is nothing like Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Nioh in terms of depth or difficulty.  In general, Ghost is not a hard game but it is a thoroughly engaging one.  Combat feels satisfying and lethal---you will often die in 3-4 hits and likewise you will kill enemies just as quickly.  The hit detection, inputs, movement and animations are super crisp and responsive.  These are probably the best "realistic" sword combat animations I have ever seen in a game.  Enemies are not particularly smart but aggressive and attack in groups, and pleasingly do not wait but will attach at the same time.  So, at any given time you will be facing a fast swordsman closing at you fast, a spearman launching an unblockable thrust and two arrowmen sniping at your from afar.  So the encounters have an awesome chaotic, brutal quality to them.....honestly it is a feeling that is similar to Ninja Gaiden at times (the feeling, not the depth of mechanics obviously).  You have to manage the space or you will die quickly.  There is also a very good intrinsic soft lock in the game....it was absolutely the right call of the devs not to have a lock-on feature....you quickly have to maneuver and adapt between multiple enemies and attacks coming at you at the same time from different directions.  On top of that, you get some GREAT one-on-one cinematic duels----impressively it is the same core combat system used in these duels as the regular melee action.  This to me is an indicator of just how well designed the combat fundamentals are.

So again not a hard game (note I am playing on Normal right now and saving Hard for my next play thru), but engaging and honestly just super fun.  Why is it super fun---well, the game just gives you so many incredibly fun skills and options that honestly just make you feel like a badass.  Parries, counterattacks, dodges, perfect dodges/parries, multiple stances with their own movesets, "Ghost" tools like kunai, smoke bombs, grenades, your bow and arrow....and I am no where near unlocking them all!  

Stealth is decent and fun but nothing new---it is the same kind of stealth for the most part from games like Tenchu, Assassin's Creed, etc.  So good but not great---this is where I would have liked them to have done a bit more personally, but it is fine and enjoyable as is.

Anyway....sorry for the length and possible incoherence...typed this up fast.  Basically, if you like samurai/ninja, traditional Japan, etc. this is a must play IMO.  I cannot overstate how beautiful the game is and how amazing they have captured the natural world, lighting, etc.  

If you are someone who has played a lot of open world games, I can see how perhaps this would just be more of the "same" but not the case with me.  In many ways it is still just the usual open world game stuff/tasks...but I would just argue done in a much more engaging, streamlined way.

I never would have thought this possible either but a Western developer has also now designed one of my favorite combat systems ever (granted they got some input from Sony Japan I am sure and also brought in renowned Japanese sword masters from the Tenshin Ryu Hyoho school for the mo-cap!).

Hebass, do you agree man?

31Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:43 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Since you like samurai so much, try Kengo Zero. It's an X360 exclusive though. Take a look at my topic. The game has incredibly unique mechanics.

32Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 pm

hebass

C-Rank

Sorry for the late response on this. I did enjoy the game a lot. It is very chill in a lot of ways and I was enjoying the crap out of it. Something happened and I stopped playing though. It’s not the game, I think it’s the fact that I spent so much time on Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and loving it that I now don’t have the drive to play any other action game for awhile I guess. I haven’t really figured out why just yet, but I haven’t even turned on the PS4 since week 1 of this game ><.

33Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:32 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

That's fine man, I think everyone here can relate to that to some degree. I haven't even gamed in two weeks...been too busy with other stuff. You still loving Sigma 2 yeah?

34Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pm

hebass

C-Rank

I do, but I’ve taken a break from NGS2 as well. I did, however, fire up NG2 on XBOX360. I’ve only played the first level so far though and stopped. Different style...and fun! Think I’m just in break mode for a bit.

35Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

New Game+ and the Legends multiplayer mode DLC coming this Friday!

Very excited....anyone else playing?

36Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Guys, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if you have not considered giving Ghost of Tsushima a shot I really cannot recommend it highly enough.  I have not had this amount of enjoyment from a game in a long time.

New Game+ and the new Legends multiplayer mode just came out through DLC.  Both modes are just awesome....

- New Game+ -- a welcome addition since the main campaign is so good.  Even better, the difficulty levels have a harder "+" version now too.  I love how they have done this.  So now the highest difficulty Lethal, now has an even harder Lethal+ difficulty level (where you are killed in 2-3 hits, but you also kill in 2-3 hits). Hard now has Hard+, etc.

- Legends multiplayer -- 2 player mini-story missions with various objectives and then 4-player survival/defense missions against horde waives of Mongols and Oni demons.  I am not a big multiplayer guy but holy shit has this been fun.  Just incredibly well designed and developed....I can't believe it is an entirely free addition to the game.  Four "classes" all of which are fun/viable--Assassin, Ronin, Samurai, Hunter.

So again--if you enjoy games about samurai/ninja set in feudal Japan, and want an action-adventure game that has not overly difficult, but engaging and satisfying combat (which feels amazing---best "feel" to katana combat since Ninja Gaiden for me), please try this game!  I also selfishly want squadmates for Legends multiplayer Smile  (more content and a raid coming out soon, all free!).

37Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:53 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Ha, good promotion Hicho! If I wasn't knee deep into Nioh2 right now I probably would've joined up. Considering the game is no-doubt getting a port/remaster/whatever on the PS5 down the line I'm considering waiting for that release should it be better.

Good to hear you're enjoying it so much, high quality games can seem rarer and rarer these days! :)

38Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

Royta/Raeng wrote:Ha, good promotion Hicho! If I wasn't knee deep into Nioh2 right now I probably would've joined up. Considering the game is no-doubt getting a port/remaster/whatever on the PS5 down the line I'm considering waiting for that release should it be better.

Good to hear you're enjoying it so much, high quality games can seem rarer and rarer these days! :)

Haha, thanks Royta!!

Diving back into Nioh 2 is high on my priority list next!

But yeah, give Ghost a shot----they've already confirmed the current release will be of course backwards compatible on PS5 but with 60FPS and improved load times (which are already the fastest I've ever seen). I can't wait to replay it in 60FPS....it is already a very good/tight and stable 30 FPS right now.

Certainly hoping for a PS5 expanded/further enhanced version as well someday! Would probably be a ways off until sometime next year for that though if it happens.

39Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Hicho9

Hicho9
D-Rank

This says it all.....in the most recent PlayStation blog various lead developers talk about their favorite game of the year.

“Ghost of Tsushima really left an impression on me. It was a completely new game set in Japan during the Kamakura period, which I imagine was no easy endeavor for Sucker Punch to undertake, and they did a fantastic job with the stunning visuals and highly polished gameplay. Here at Team Ninja, where we have worked on a lot of sword fighting action, we were really impressed with the game overall, and strive to create a title with as much ‘honor’ as Ghost of Tsushima.”

– Fumihiko Yasuda, Producer, Team Ninja – Nioh 2

For me, can’t believe I’m saying this but Ghost of Tsushima now has my favorite melee action second only to the Ninja Gaiden games. If you have not tried it out yet would really recommend it!

40Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:48 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

High praise! It's at the top of my list now for PS5 games to play when I get that machine (might take a while).

41Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I knew that kick would be the best move. There's a shoulder charge too.

Seems to ignore shields and let you shoot for free damage. Don't know if it beats charging a single arrow though. You lose all or most of you Concentration meter too.

42Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

I got this for Christmas and just beat it. I’ll just say that this kind of re-affirmed that mainstream games aren’t for me anymore.

43Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Could you itterate that a bit more for me, since it's pretty big on my list right now and I hear a lot of good about it. But you and I seem to be on the same page more often than not, so yeah, why? So that I might prevent my own disappointment.

44Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:39 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

These are some things I typed up on my phone, and this after ~35 hours. I played on Normal and had no trouble at anything aside from dying a few times at bosses:

-So the stance system is essentially Rock Paper Scissors. The only differences between the stances are how effective they are at breaking certain enemies’ guards and their ONE triangle attack. Normal attacks are just random jabs that all function the same, and so are the heavy attacks. The entire flow of the combat is changing stances to match which enemy type you’re facing, since any stance other than the one the game wants you to use will just get your attacks deflected. There’s no other details regarding stances either, such as speed, range, amount of hitstun, etc, so the only difference outside of the RPC aspect is the triangle attack for each. A couple of these I don’t even understand. The spin attack for the moon stance just gets deflected and stuffed by anyone who’s not a brute. The flurry of the wind stance is also pointless against anyone who either isn’t a shield enemy, or doesn’t already have their guard broken. The kick is great, an actual knockback tool that leads to a setup, but it’s the ONLY tool in the entire melee moveset that does something like this, besides the shoulder bash, as far as I can tell.

-The “move assist” is just terrible, this is something that was egregious in the new GoW but it’s abysmal here. Enemies just glide toward you with any and all of their attacks like they’re skating towards you. Positioning in this game is meaningless since enemies can glide halfway across the solar system to hit you with their unblockable attacks. USUALLY in an action game like this, you would position yourself to punish a heavy attack, but it physically does not work here, since enemies close the distance every single time, regardless of where they are or what attack they’re performing.

-This seems to do the Spider-Man/Arkham thing too where attacks don’t have traditional hitboxes. Either that, or in my 35 hours of play, enemies never stood close enough to each other for me to hit more than one at a time. Not once did I swing my sword in this game and hit more than one foe, it’s as if every single attack in this game puts you and an enemy into another dimension so you can’t “accidentally” hit a different enemy at the same time. It would be great to maybe stab two guys at once, but it genuinely doesn’t seem possible, or worth the effort.

-The upgrade system is just a giant time sink. I can’t stand when games gate off things that should be basic functions and this definitely does it. Unlocking the ability to block arrows and perform a running attack is just absurd, you should start with these. Having to upgrade the wind chime to affect more than one enemy is laughable too. I know this is an open world game and collecting a bunch of different things is part of it, but separating weapon/armor/ranged upgrades into 74 currencies just makes it a hassle to keep track of everything. Why have games got away from one form of currency? Picking multiple upgrades from one currency pool results in the most decision making. When everything is separate currencies I don’t have to think about how to spend it.

-Enemies are way too simple. I’m a firm believer that enemies are as important as the playable character in an action game and the enemies here are all essentially traffic lights telling you what stance to use so you can attack. Aside from archers and the occasional bomb thrower, there are no enemies here that do anything different or make you revise your play style. After 5 hours or so you’ll see everything the enemies have to offer.

-I won’t dwell on this much, since every single AAA game makes this mistake, but the stealth is just here as a formality(as it is in every game at this point). Crouch walk through tall grass, press the “kill the unsuspecting person” button, and use your one or two distractions. To me, this half assed stealth is more tiring than anything else. Games either need to start committing to this or just fucking stop.

I won’t sit here and call the game bad or anything; it’s really beautiful, the story is fun at times, Jin ends up being like able, some of the side stuff is fun to find, the health system is neat(incentives playing well), some of the side weapons are kind of fun, even if they’re basic, etc. This game seems to be well loved so it’s cool that other people seem to really be enjoying it, but by the end I kind of just wanted to move on. Will probably mess around a bit more before putting it down.

45Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I read all that then I read Hicho9's post.

For me, can’t believe I’m saying this but Ghost of Tsushima now has my favorite melee action second only to the Ninja Gaiden games. If you have not tried it out yet would really recommend it!

The difference in views is extreme. How are you both seeing it so differently?

46Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

Maybe he played it more than me or knows things I don’t know. Or I’m just a jaded asshole.

47Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

The disparity is way too big.

One says melee second best to NG, the other says similar to Arkham/Spidey magnet attacks.

Do you also play NG?

From watching videos, it looks exactly how you describe though. Exactly. One of the reasons I've left it so long. Still waiting for an explanation on why the combat is great.

48Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

My problem could also be that I’m judging it too harshly as a pure action game, when it’s trying to do other things. I’ve sort of realized lately that I need to stop holding everything to the same standard as my favorite games. I didn’t like Death Stranding at first because it didn’t have all of Metal Gear’s mechanics and then some, but now I love it.

It feels like I’m being dishonest if I critique games really differently, but not every game is going for similar results, even in the same genre. Being critical of everything sucks sometimes.

Regardless, even though I beat it, I’m still playing it. That must mean something.

49Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:00 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

>So the stance system is essentially Rock Paper Scissors.

Ah the modern gameplay style of "use what we want when we want, no experimentation." Shame.

I don't think modern games can not have mechanics like move assist.
They have to make sure everyone can be successful just mashing square.

People praise souls combat, lol, but I think part of the reason is they don't have that weird move assist at least for the player. One of the few modern titles where you are swinging and trying to connect. Same with MH. It doesn't teleport you into attack animation dimension.
Used to be how every action game was.

I am very done with games with that sort of assist. I like Arkham Asylum, but it did way more harm than good in the long run.

50Ghost of Tsushima Empty Re: Ghost of Tsushima Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak

>Souls combat lol
Hey now, I like Souls haha.

>used to be how every action game was
It’s kind of crazy how different something like this is compared to the big titles among action game fans. Every time I did anything in this game I was questioning why it was done the way it was done.

>Arkham did more harm than good
Agreed. I’ve never liked any of those games though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum