You are not connected. Please login or register

Regarding inertia

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Regarding inertia Empty Regarding inertia on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 am

Birdman

Do jump in attacks in fighting games count as inertia as defined in DMC?

Your action is propelled by the momentum of the jump right? Let's say, Ryu's jumping FK, you can do it at any stage of the jump and the arc of the jump doesn't stop dead like say, a dive kick which wouldn't count because you stop and enter a new animation that isn't affected in terms of momentum by the jump.

Trying to get some definitions clear for some explanations I'm writing on Chaos Legions jump attack mechanics.

2Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I do not think that is what Inertia is. Inertia is you carrying over the momentum of one move into another through canceling the previous move. So for instance if we were to grab Street Fighter's Ryu, it would mean that for instance he does an air-tatsu, but cancels it somehow, and the follow-up jumping-hard punch retains the forward momentum he would've gotten from the air-tatsu.

Not a lot of games have this so promenantly featured, since it is an 'oversight' in the game engine iirc. Smash Brothers also has it to a degree.

This 3 minute guide explains it fairly well:

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:44 pm

5does

C-Rank
Yeah you need to be able to cancel moves so that the momentum carries on to the next action.

GG has it, in this video https://youtu.be/0LeiwjJx994?t=41 Sol follows up with a combo that involves using his 236k and then canceling it(by spending meter) into a regular attack and then following it up with 236k and another cancel for a pseudo loop. The only reason he gets to move that much to the right upper side of the screen is because he carries the inertia of Bandit revolver by canceling it before the move starts going downwards so all that's left is the inertia pulling you up allowing you to follow up with something.

This is the move that he cancels https://youtu.be/l75EJqaod6g?t=7

4Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Birdman

It's weird because I can do it in DMC4 but I never thought about how to describe it.

>Yeah you need to be able to cancel moves so that the momentum carries on to the next action.
Ok, so the definition is ONLY when something is cancelled and jumping itself doesn't count as a move? And I guess you don't actually cancel the jump either, you just do something during it. That's more trajectory than momentum I guess.

Anyway this came about as I was writing about CLs jumping attacks and how they work like fighting games where you can do them early, late, while rising, low to ground, etc, and I was thinking how you don't see that much in action games, at least from what I've played. Usually air attacks stop the jump arc and come straight down like Helm Breaker or in a set direction like Killer Bee.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of old DW square attacks (though the new ones are probably the same) Dororo jumping weak attacks, and some characters in Dragon Quest Heroes where your jump isn't stopped dead by attacks.

DQH is a little weird though because the jumping is very floaty and you can change the direction the character is facing. Like with the two mains you could jump over a small enemy, then turn in the air and slash them in the back but the jump arc still tries to happen so it looks all wonky.

Seems like a similar idea to DMC inertia because a previous action is affecting the movement of the next in some way.

Edit: Forgot to mention, DMC5's Rain Storm is described as having an 'inertia element' or 'built in inertia'. I get why this is said, but it doesn't cancel from anything to gain its mobility. This feels really similar to what I described in DQH.

5Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Birdman

Anyone agree or disagree with the above description of DMC5's Rain Storm?'

6Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I believe what they mean, and this is bad use of the term inertia, is that Rainstorm can be slightly controlled when it begins (maybe by a user input).

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Birdman

Yeah you just do the move then move the stick to direct it. No cancelling from anything. In a way it's just a jumping attack but it's doing what DMC4 Rain Storm does only without the cancels.

8Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:39 am

Birdman

I played a little of Tales Of Vesperia and noticed if you cancel running with guard, you don't immediately come to a complete stop. You slide in guarding stance a very short distance. No idea if this has any use.

Also in TFD.

9Regarding inertia Empty Re: Regarding inertia on Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Birdman

This video is originally what I was talking about but forgot which one it was. Early in the video it shows Dante doing air rave while drifting backwards slightly after a jump. The player calls it 'a subtle example of inertia'.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum