Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I'll probably make a more in-depth article about it when I have the time (and there's a more in-depth press kit). But so far what we know is that - for most of us - hell is starting to break out.

Google Stadia is a system, or more like a service, that allows people to stream games to any system to play them. Are you watching a Youtube video of a game and it looks interesting? Just press the play-button next to it and the game is immediately streamed to your system. Be it TV, PC, Phone, Tablet or Toaster, it's all possible.

This has been a plan that Microsoft tried to already push with the Xbox One originally, that you never truly own a game. And with games like Transformers Devastation and Scott Pilgrim already being 'dead' outside of rare physical releases for the former due to licensing issues, this is a scary prospect if this catches on.

Google Stadia announced Screenshot_2019-03-19_13.26.14

On the flip-side, if it works it could be a great streaming service that allows players to access games, new and old, everywhere. The detailing would be really important. No details on what type of payment you'd have to subscribe to, if you pay per game or for the service.

Personally, my biggest fear is that corporations will really get full controle of releases and when we play what. You want to play Sekiro? Tought luck, Sekiro II is out tomorrow so we discontinued Sekiro's original title. You have to play the shitty sequel made by Activision. What are your guys take on this?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:39 pm

KSubzero1000

KSubzero1000
C-Rank

I have zero interest in this at the moment.

I believe in owning games and building a collection in the same way that I do with films or books. I want to be able to play any game I bought without being beholden to the arbitrary whims of servers or the skeevy tactics of unscrupulous publishers. That's not to say I'm a physical-only purist, but I tend to treat digital purchases as glorified rentals and very rarely buy any digital product at full price as a result.

Input lag is also a deal-breaker for action games, but I would imagine most people here to be already aware of this.

A platform centered entirely around digital distribution is therefore very unattractive to me, in the same way that the original plan for the XBO was. The day the industry becomes full-on digital-only is the day I'll stop worrying about upcoming games and focus exclusively on retro titles.

With all that being said, I'll fully admit that the vast majority of the videogame-buying public doesn't share my concerns and that platforms like these are probably going to become more and more common in the future. I can only hope that talented developers will still find a way to express themselves moving forward.

3Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:10 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Veteran

We aren't there with internet yet. At least in the US. I live in a major city, and I only have one choice of provider. It is fast but spotty. Maybe this will work for the people who can't tell when framerate is bad, but input lag killed onlive. Also most youtube gameplay looks like shit, it's the artifacting from low bitrate.
I would like to try it if they do some kind of trial.

4Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

No interest. It's like those multiplayer only games. It can be fun but one day the life support will be cut off. I rather have it completely owned. Seeing Google and the Xbox One plan doing this makes me glad that not only I have not given up on the old stuff but also expanding on it.

5Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

It makes me wonder what the price is though.

6Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:08 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

More information as of yesterday:

What was announced today?
Today Google announced the key details of the Stadia platform, including our Stadia Founder’s Edition, which includes the Stadia controller, a Chromecast Ultra, three months of Stadia Pro and one three-month Buddy Pass. Reserving a Founder’s Edition also allows you to also secure your Stadia Name.

Pricing
Stadia, at launch, will have a Founders Edition Pack, which costs $129, or your regional equivalent. - see GStore for pricing
The Stadia Founders Edition includes the :

• Limited Edition Night Blue Stadia Controller
  • Chromecast Ultra (4k 60fps Streaming)
  • 3 Months Stadia Pro + 3 Months Stadia Pro Buddy Pass
  • The Full Destiny 2 Experience
  • Exclusive Stadia Name + Founders Badge

Stadia Base will not have access to all Stadia Pro features such as playing with 4K HDR, 5.1 surround sound or the free content or discounts. Stadia Base players will be able to play content in 1080p with 60 fps and stereo sound.
Then there is a Monthly Subscription called Stadia Pro, which allows you to have the best of what Stadia has to offer. This is priced at $9.99 a Month, and will give you the ability to play in 4k HDR at 60fps, with 5.1 surround sound.This subscription also will include free games that will be released regularly, starting with Destiny 2: The Collection, and will grant you discounts on select game purchases inside the Stadia Store.

Internet speed requirements
During the Stadia Connect, a graph was shown with speed, and the quality and features that you’ll get with that internet speed. Stadia will work regardless of speed, down to the recommended minimum of 10Mbps.

• 10Mbps is the recommended minimum and will get you a clean 720p 60fps with Stereo Audio.
  • 20Mbps is the threshold for 1080p, and will get you HDR Video, 60fps and 5.1 Surround.
  • 30Mbps+ is where the best Stadia experience is, with 4k HDR 60FPS, with 5.1 Surround.

Regional Availability
In November, Stadia will be launching in the following countries:
The USA, United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, Germany, France, Denmark, Canada, Finland and Belgium, with more countries to be announced at a later date.

What games are going to be releasing at launch?
Google has released a support article showing all of the confirmed games to be releasing in November, which will be updated with any new announcements here.

My opinion about it:

For me the biggest hurdle is that I don't mind it as an added feature, but I don't want it to be the main-deal in the industry - which I'm afraid this will end up being in a decade as companies like Sony and Microsoft tend to be trend-followers in these things. And this setup is for a very specific audience, i.e. people that play the current hype and then move on to the next.

I like playing and replaying games. I still play older games and the newer games I play often have 9+ playthroughs before I put them down and I tend to revist them even years later. So this system is automically not good for me, as when the service goes offline one day (and it will) I will have lost all my games, since you don't own them, you rent them.

I've had this happen with games in the past i.e. PT, Scott Pilgrim, Turtles in Time etc. and it is really sucky when a game is legit unavailable for the rest of your life unless you still have it installed on a system. With Stadia this won't be a big problem as its just a nice 'alternative' way to play, it compliments your PS4/X1/Switch/PC/3ds library, not replaces it. But I'm more afraid of what it will do for the future. If this hits it off, that's...scary.

I can still play Super Mario World, Ninja Gaiden II, The Evil Within or Metroid Prime, right now. But if the whole industry goes to this system, who knows what will happen to games made exclusively for those platforms? If Destiny 3 comes out, what's stopping Sony's new streaming service from removing Destiny 2 to force you to buy/play the new one? What about expiring rights i.e. with licensed games? Not to mention the eventual horror of multiple streaming services. Want to play Bayonetta 4? Better get a subscription to the Platinum Games streaming service. We've played this rodeo before.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:19 pm

RedShot

B-Rank

My internet speed is very good but still I don't like Stadia's concept. I agree with Raeng.

8Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Wow, this is gross. No interest.

Last edited by Birdman on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Google Stadia announced Empty Re: Google Stadia announced Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I have no intention. Just imagine bringing the Stadia to a place with slow or no internet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum