You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you think of ragdoll physics?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What do you think of ragdoll physics? Empty What do you think of ragdoll physics? Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

This can be in actions games, or any type of game you find them.

Do they add or take away?

List any game that has them and what you think. Are they implemented well? Can they be implemented well?

Transformers Armada (PS2)

In my experience, they can be annoying in certain situations. If you've played this game you'll know what I mean.
For example, when you get sent flying and you impact hard on a wall or some other piece of the environment, it can take quite a while to get back on your feet. Like you'll slowly slide down a wall until you're on a surface that you can normally walk on. You can also fall from a ledge because the game won't let you get up immediately and you're already sliding.

You never really know how you're going to end up after such heavy attacks, though you do get a feel for some after a while. Overall, it wasn't even close to detracting from the game, just a minor annoyance at times. It was pretty funny doing it to the enemies though. It adds nothing other than being amusing at times.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

From all the examples that I can think of, all I can say is that ragdoll physics is usually tied to humour, and the few times I've seen it make a part of the actual gameplay were in humorous scenarios.

In Gears of War for example there were ragdoll physics in corpses, this resulted weird deaths or dangling corpses all over the place in a game that takes it somewhat seriously, it sort of felt out of place and imo detracted from the game(it's not that big of a deal, but for a negative example it'll do).

In Oblivion people liked the corpse ragdoll mechanics because it allowed for dumb shenanigans in a game about going around messing and doing silly stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ljdezNhCk

Now the two times I've seen it make it to actual gameplay(and even have scores tied to how ragdoll-ish you act) were in the insurance fraud minigame in Saints Row and in the ps2 Jackass game which are both games that don't take it seriously and it adds to the nonsense and humour of the games. How the ragdoll mechanic works in those game is that you basically press a button that will strip your character of the physics keeping him together and make him become a flappy ragdoll, this is done so the player can inflict the most damage on himself and score the same amount in insurance and medic bills.

Some footage of both games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMcCh8nWts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z06Jo9HVi5U

Aside from that I can't really think about good examples of ragdoll physics in action games that go beyond "stop flying around goddamnit".

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Agree that they are mostly for humor, and at worst suit to make the game worse (be it via enemies getting stuck on you, you not being able to get through certain obstacles because of it, the game lagging like no other because it's trying to render all these physics).

When applied to you it is even worse. I've seen Kiryu fly against walls breaking his back only for him to akwardly get up while still on the ground (so he was getting up sideways). It tends to really work badly with traditional animations. Also tends to give a lacking feeling of impact since everything acts like its on the moon.

I prefer traditional animations, when something is hit it goes x-distance with y-speed. Just makes things much better, but also takes more time (everything has to be hand animated).

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Ragdoll is a nightmare for juggling. Look at The Bouncer.

There are quite a few launchers and moves that can juggle, but more than half the time they miss, or the enemy contorts in random ways which means that even if you connect one hit, the next probably won't.

Kou has this spinning uppercut move that I've had a lot of luck connecting near infinitely though, but it still misses sometimes.

There's also the fact that when you get knocked over or sent flying, you can smash into your friends, or them into you, and it does quite a bit of damage and is bullshit when they come flying at you from off screen. You can do this to the enemies as well, which is interesting as you can setup a move that knocks down and send them into others causing chain knockdowns and doing nice damage.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I know that one Cube Action Heroes game had ragdoll physics. I personally never had any problems with ragdoll physics.

6What do you think of ragdoll physics? Empty Re: What do you think of ragdoll physics? Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 pm

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
A-Rank
God of War
Expert on all things God of War

Amusingly bad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum