You are not connected. Please login or register

Any interest in the new Spiderman?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:39 am

Birdman

Could be decent I guess. Might give it a rental.

2Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I'm waiting for a pricedrop. It's a game that looks to have a lot of fun elements, but is also swarming with propaganda and politics from what I've heard. I don't mind either view, but I dislike it when it is in games most of the time. Combat looks interesting. Heard SBK might pick it up.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 am

Birdman

Watched a few boss fight and they seem seriously on rails with non stop cinematics.

4Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The general combat seems good with tons of options, ring outs and mobility. That said, it is still trapped in a AAA slugfest of 'emotions', politics and other unskippable drivvel. I'll get the GotY edition with all the DLC at a discount in a year or so.

5Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am

Birdman

True, the regular fights look far better. I only watched a few that seemed to boil down to waiting until the boss had finished a rampage, then attack during an opening. If all the gadgets and moves work it could be quite good, but I've mostly seen players just do a regular combo probably in which you just hammer the square button.

Having watched a few more fights, the Rhino boss looks decent. You fight him in one of those shipping container yards and you can cause things like containers to drop, or make a crane hook swing into him. Really reminded me of the Mr.Freeze fights. Hopefully they rest aren't like Arkham where you have to deal with them a certain way.

In regular combat I've seen a few cool things but really can't say for sure until I rent it. It looks like it would be really fun to play by never touching the ground.

6Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

MoonKnight/Kaji

MoonKnight/Kaji
C-Rank
I'll probably get this when the price hits $20 or so. It's been awhile since I've played a good Spidey game. Shame about the political stuff, but as long as the game is fun it's kind of whatever to me. Did you all see the coordinated articles about this game? The ones talking about how the police are out of date or some shit? Good lord when will these terrible sites die.

Also, this is the funniest thing I've seen all week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngORPZj4wwY

7Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 am

Birdman

Yeah, that the police were friendly allies when they should be gunning down black people lol.

Then there's the Ciri debacle.

Or how in the latest Tomb Raider, white Lara is running around Peru 'helping' all the brown people. They're going to hate this game further in, where you are actually gunning down these people. At least Lara doesn't look like a man...yet.

People are getting sick of this shit though. It's just an extremely vocal minority of useless people, with no lives nor purpose. They are trash and they know it, but they've finally found this pathetic cause to give meaning to their worthless lives.

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

8Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
Unaware of the politics spoken of, nor do I care. But I’d quite like to get this when there’s a price drop and to see what the DLC/patches will offer(NG+ is confirmed, if not already released). The combat and traversal look quality and the different suit powers offer a lot of variety/utility(many are pretty OP). As for the bosses, it’s got some one of a kind encounters for the series. If you don’t mind spoilers: There’s the fight with Rhino that was mentioned, it’s actually Rhino and Scorpion at once; Vulture and Shocker are also fought together in a sick aerial battle. They’ve all been fought before of course, but never in pairs which really adds a new dynamic. It’s also the 1st time Mister Negative is a villain in a spidey game(or at least given primary antagonist status).

In the mean time I’m going to play a few other good Spidey games, those being Spider-Man: Web of Shadows: Great spidey combat, super dynamic and unique; also great web slinging and bosses.

Shattered Dimensions: Fully linear for a change with 4 different spider mans with distinct artstyles/gameplay, each stage features a boss encountered throughout the stage.

As well as Edge of Time: Sorta sequel to Shattered Dimensions but just with Amazing and 2099 spideys playable, don’t know much else but looks solid.

Might replay Ultimate Spider-Man(PS2)if I can find my copy.

9Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:03 am

Birdman

Anyone end up playing this?
I saw some of SBK's stuff but I have no idea what he's doing.

10Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Not yet, I might buy it used next year though, most Action fans seem to really enjoy it. SBK was pretty into it himself as noted.

11Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Birdman

From SBK.

Some good ideas and core gameplay hampered by modern trends (open world crap, walkie talkie garbage, patching in things that should have been present at release *Very Hard and NG+*). Open world collectathon is somewhat helped by how mobile/proficient Spidey is at traversing the environment. The combat is certainly better than Bamham (not a glorified QTE), though the stealth is a little worse. Very much feels like a 1st party PS2 exclusive (enjoyable core gameplay but not trying to be super serious like hack and slash proper with balance, moveset depth, difficulty) if that makes sense. Get the feeling Insomniac just threw ideas at the wall to see what stuck.

Many grabs (grab normal, web/shocked contextual grab, air grab, OH, 'Snatch', yanking enemy weapons away from them, tossing parts of the environment at enemies, returning rockets, Instant Takedown from Bamham, etc). Most interesting addition is the web anchoring system, slamming a fully webbed enemy (takes 3 normal web shots on Hard and below to fully web, 6 on Very Hard *called Ultimate which I haven't played*, other gadgets that apply webbing always do so in one use) into the ground or knocking/throwing them into a wall is instant death. Same goes for webbing an enemy that's been knocked over or is near a wall. Plenty of ringouts too.

Gadgets are well done all and all, biggest issue is having to pull up a time pausing weapon wheel whenever you want to switch between them (that includes between them and regular webbing). By end game they're pretty OP (Impact Webbing and Trip Mines are basically instant death, Suspension Matrix can shutdown crowds, Web Bomb has some potent setups) to where it can feel you're just selecting the option from the gadget wheel to auto kill crap. Restored by performing finishers and web anchors. The shock status is kind of meh. Game could have really used core moveset swaps a la weapon switching or something.

Lots of suit powers. Clear winners are the web AoE (can end fights outright) and the suit version of drone summon (just blasts the crap out of everything). There are many useful suit powers (Quad Damage, Ock tentacles, AoE knockback+launch, taunts, etc) just none on par with those two (for mooks). RPG levels just give you more health, meters, slight melee damage buffs and skill points. You unfortunately have to do open world busywork to get suits, accessories and create/upgrade gadgets, but there's nothing like nu GoW's stat cancer present.

Has some bite to it while you're still learning the ropes even on Normal but by the time you're upgraded it's pretty trivial. Lot of enemy encounters are very similar owed to beat 'em up style mooks, but there is a little variety (shield guys, gun wielders, melee weapon users, heavies, jet packs). Mostly a problem of open world copypasta (throwing the same encounters at you over and over). Bosses suffer from Bamham syndrome (combat system is designed against crowds) but being closer to Action proper are better than Bamham's. Still, they're meant to be more cinematic than challenging or technical. Their gimmicks are alright. Bosses have 'real' HP, vulnerable to stuff like the AoE shockwave (used against Shocker), Quad Damage, etc affects them. Most can also be hit with an Instant Takedown (generally does the same damage as a melee string to them).

For what little it's worth the story is good for vidya and Peter's quipping is well done.

It's a nice enough game with some interesting ideas hampered by modern trends (can tell Insomniac's heart wasn't into the open world busywork but focused on the combat *in a style they aren't very familiar with*, traversal, set pieces and story). Would wait for an edition that has Very Hard and NG+ on disc.

12Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:22 am

Birdman

13Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:18 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank

14Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 am

Birdman

Nice. Been planning to watch these. Didn't know there was DLC already.

15Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:44 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
DLC each month ending December, it’s 3 continuous chapters.

16Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:38 am

Birdman

Well, after hearing SBK's opinion and watching those videos, this has gone from a rental to never touch. I barely like a thing I hear.

And what is with all these heroes' suits becoming more and more advanced to the point that they're actually becoming closer to Iron Man? It seems like this is the destiny of any hero that doesn't have huge super powers (if they have any at all).

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

17Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am

Birdman

Rented it overnight. Not liking it one bit.

Swinging around is decent, but the combat sucks. I guess it works, but I hate it.

18Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
Thats a shame you dont like it, but you might prefer Web of Shadows, the combat and swinging are much more dynamic and id argue its the best spidey game overall:

I'd also like to note its certainly a stylish western action game, just wanted to reference that topic.

19Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Birdman

I don't even know what 'stylish' means anymore.

So you can do combos?

I'll admit, it looks a billion times better than the new one, but doesn't look like something I'd like either.

20Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:41 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
>Stylish=Looks fancy/flamboyant. Doesn’t need to go beyond aesthetics for me, looking ‘cool’ whether it’s functional or otherwise is enough to sate that criteria. For little it matters, don’t mean to bring this up but I thought Web of Shadows bears mentioning in that regard.

>Combo
Yes, but that depends on what ‘combo’ means also.

Anyhow, I’ll have to say I like how the combat is in both, but I prefer how open WoS is. Don’t care to go into further detail.

What expectations do you have for a Spidey game? Have you considered any other entries?
There’s only so many(unless your not so concerned to begin with). If you want something more linear then I’d suggest Shattered Dimensions or Edge of Time.

21Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:24 am

Birdman

Regarding the new one, it all feels too automatic. Too much slomo and canned follow ups.

I've played Edge of Time and hated it.

I don't really care for the character, I just wanted a good action game.

22Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:28 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
Then I’d suggest Shattered Dimensions or WoS. I said this on comment 8:

Shattered Dimensions:Fully linear for a change with 4 different spider mans with distinct artstyles/gameplay, each stage features a boss encountered multiple times throughout.

Ultimate Spider-Man also, that’s open world with ok combat.

I’ve not got much left to offer in this topic for now. You know what you like, so you do you.

23Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 am

Birdman

Yeah I think I'll avoid Spiderman games.

I'm liking Darksiders 2 though.

24Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
I got it recently. Got about halfway through and had to stop, I hate it. Really need to start being more cautious about AAA games.

A post earlier mentioned that SBK liked it(or so it seemed?), but it’s definitely not something for me. He clearly is more knowledgeable about the genre than I am, but this game just didn’t click with me at all.

Sent from Topic'it App

25Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
It's a fun game from what I know if you like going for stuff like ringouts and using suit-powers to go more ham. If you're aiming for style the game has options, but more limitations. You can always send SBK a PM over on Gfaqs, guy loves talking shop. You guys seemed to have gotten along just fine so I'm sure he's open to it.

26Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:05 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
Wasn't super into what I was seeing. Stealth clearly needed a lot more work (and having two game systems can be a big challenge for AI and level design). Action side is getting closer (to something I'd bother with), I suppose (though they'll never let him be as visceral as Logan's game and the fun factor of horsing around can't compete with Ultimate Destruction, I'm quite sure *nor would they ape Prototype's attempt at taking the latter into The Thing's territory, but better executing it*). Of course, I'd likely feel about the same as SBK (especially given my fondness for grabs). Ultimately, being overly concerned with being serious with the property doesn't do shit for me. I want Maximum Carnage. Swinging around was cute, but save that for the old men (and non-gamers) just passing the time (like the type who play Eurotrucker).

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

27Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:32 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
C-Rank
I thought I remembered seeing a topic on this game a while ago. I've recently finished it, so I thought I'd give my thoughts.

I have to be honest and say I thought this was probably the best of the cynical "hollywood blockbuster AAA" type games that I've played. I started Uncharted 4 but after a couple of hours had no interest in continuing, I went as far as selling Dad of War after maybe 7 or 8 hours, TLOU Remastered is still sealed on my shelf (don't have anything against it, just not had any desire to play it yet)...and that's just for PS4. Xbox doesn't even have any exclusives worth mentioning (other than Forza Horizon if you like your sort-of-but-not-really-arcade racers). This game however, actually gave me an experience that I hadn't had before.

I know similarities have been made to the Batman Arkham games, which I haven't played other than the demo of Asylum years ago, so it might be the case that something I personally thought was original has actually been done long ago. I enjoyed the combat a lot more than I expected to. Being able to web enemies to walls/floors/unmovable objects for an instant KO was really enjoyable and encourages you to play efficiently. I know applying the word "stylish" to combat is a subject of contention here, but the animations make the game feel stylish and visually interesting while the mechanics cater towards efficiency, so I'd say you kind of get the best of both worlds. The gadgets are a cool feature and add some variety to Spidey's moveset, although some are more useful than others. It might be worth noting that I don't think a no-upgrade run would be very interesting for this game given how the combat relies on the gadgets and skill trees to open up.

Thankfully, there are a lot of opportunities to take part in combat in the game as there are loads of enemy bases to clear out, crimes to prevent and combat challenges set by Taskmaster. It is true that it's a collectathon-style game, and you are required to do some of the more boring side-tasks to be able to unlock all of your upgrades. The side-tasks that don't involve any sort of combat (like ones where you have to swing through toxic clouds to collect samples) feel like filler and aren't very interesting at all. I haven't tried the NG+ so I'd be interested to see how much of that crap you need to do on a second run through.

I can't remember playing an action game that allows you to interact with the environment in such cool ways. You can web pull scaffolding and other structures down on to enemies for a quick KO, knock enemies off of rooftops for a ring-out and environments are full of objects you can fling at enemies. One of the best features relative to the environment is that while in combat, you can still use all of your abilities that would normally be used for traversing the open world. By aiming your cursor at a lampost or ledge in the distance, you can quickly zipline there to reposition if you're in trouble, or close the gap on ranged enemies. Similarly, if you're fighting on a rooftop and get in to trouble, you can hop off of the building, web swing around to another side and get the drop on your enemies from a new angle. I think this is a good example of depth that western action games are often accused of not having. Most of my favourite action-brawlers (DMC, Bayo, most of Platinum's library actually) don't give much (if any) consideration to this side of combat. This isn't inherently a bad thing - it might be fair to say that the japanese approach to action combat design focuses more on delivering depth/complexity through the player character rather than the environment (though there are exceptions, like Madworld), but either way it was refreshing to be given this experience from a western AAA combat system.

As well as all-guns-blazing combat, the game features two different types of stealth sections. One of which sees you take control of Mary Jane/Miles Morales and sneak through very linear pathways using gadgets to distract enemies. It's about as interesting as you'd expect and doesn't improve the game at all. The other type sees you control Spider-Man and requires you to deal with a base full of enemies without being detected. This one is kind of hit and miss, and I'm tempted to say it's more of a miss. You can use a scanner that tells you whether an enemy is in view of one of his friends, so you'll know if it's safe to take him out. However, there were a number of times I did a takedown on an enemy marked safe and ended up triggering an alert, so this system seems to be flawed. It does give you the opportunity for some cool, creative gameplay though...when it works.

There's a nice amount of character customisation on offer. You can unlock (I think) around 30 different suits (some of which are free DLC), and most of them come with a suit power which gives you an extra ability in combat. I was relieved to see that you can mix and match outfits and suit powers, so you won't find yourself in a situation where you have to wear a suit you don't like. I liked the inclusion of the Spidey suits from the Sam Raimi films, and the more recent Far From Home movie as free DLC. Unless I missed it, I was VERY surprised that there was no unlockable Symbiote suit, especially given how some of the more obscure comic book ones got in. One of the coolest suits is the one from the original comic book, but cell shaded to look like it's actually jumped straight out of the book. It's nice to see the developers weren't obsessed with the immersion breaking/"uncanny valley" crap that gets mentioned from time to time.

I think there was a meme that came from an IGN video review for one of the Batman games where they said the gameplay "really makes you feel like Batman". I have to say, this game's representation of Spider-Man is excellent. Web swinging is genuinely fun, and if you're tryin get around the environment as quickly as possible there are techniques that increase the skill ceiling. It helps that the city of New York here is probably the best city I've seen in an open-world/sandbox game. It looks gorgeous and genuinely feels alive, which is all the more impressive given how much time you actually spend looking at everything from a distance way up in the air.

The story was fine - entertaining enough to carry the game, but not especially noteworthy. Marvel fans will get the most enjoyment out of it due to the number of lower profile characters that make an appearance - it feels a bit fan service-y in ways, but it works. I don't remember hearing much about the political/propaganda issues raised earlier in this thread, and after playing the game I can't say I experienced them myself. There's certainly far less of a political influence in this game than there is in the recent movies - Mary Jane is still white here, so make of that what you will.

The game isn't without it's flaws - it's definitely got sections of walkie-talkie bullshit, but for a AAA title I felt this could have been a lot more egregious. For example, it doesn't ever get as bad as that part in Dad of War where you have to carry the boar around while "story" happens. Even though I would recommend this game, it is worth noting that it is definitely one of "those" open-world action adventure games, the ones that seem to come out every week. This is the best I've played of the bunch, however. Without wishing to sound like I'm defending this practice, I think it's probably to be expected that a console exclusive based on one of Marvel's hottest properties would have a sizable focus on narrative and storytelling, especially given the popularity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The combat wasn't perfect, either. Enemy variety was pretty weak - I can only think of 6 or 7 different enemy types off the top of my head. It was occasionally easy to lose sight of the "spider sense" indicator that would prompt you on when to dodge. It seemed that some (but not all) enemies were capable of doing that stupid thing that happened in Dad of War, where enemies would literally slide along the ground after starting an attack animation if they weren't in range to hit you. The enemy type most guilty of this were the heavy juggernaught-style ones, and given they hit like a truck, they are probably the most frustrating and worst possible enemy type it could apply to. Despite all my earlier praise, the boss battles were shit, in all honesty. As mentioned earlier, you dodge attacks and wait for the boss to stun himself, and then enter some sort of pseudo-quicktime event where you don't really have to do anything. A couple of the bosses get a little more complex, but they honestly aren't worth writing about - they don't redeem the game's bosses as a whole. This was a real shame as the core combat system feels so good when it gets in to gear.

Wow, that's a lot of crap I've written! Even still, there's a lot here I haven't commented on (both pros and cons) but I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. I look forward to grabbing the DLC at some point. The GOTY edition doesn't come with the DLC on the disc, so I avoided it - very disappointing from Sony. A quick note comparing this to another Marvel game - I thought this was much better than Team Ninja's recent Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. That game is bogged down by it's RPG systems way more than this game is, and despite featuring over 50 characters (including DLC) is nowhere near as interesting to play. I never expected Insomniac would make a better combat system than Team Ninja...at least that's my opinion, anyway.

28Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:31 am

Birdman

The Rhino boss looked like a cool fight.

29Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:59 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
C-Rank
There's a fight against Rhino and Scorpion simultaneously which is one of the better ones, purely on the basis of there being more challenge in tracking two enemies instead of one. It's over pretty quickly, though.

30Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:02 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Interesting post Greg, thanks for sharing! I know that SBK over on Gamefaqs was quite positive about the title as well, especially the combat, even made some efficiency based videos about it which was interesting to see. I'm probably not going to pick it up unless I suddenly get big into Spider Man though, but it's great to see some love for a AAA title and to see a studio be able to build some succes out of it. That's great!

31Any interest in the new Spiderman? Empty Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
My friend lent me their PS4 so I could play it. Since I've had nothing to do, I just binged a huge chunk of it. Not finished the game yet, am playing on Spectacular difficulty.

The combat's another variation on the animation-based Arkham system, which I've nothing against; I mean, it's a good system, but a lot of developers misuse it. This is one of the better clones of it that I've seen though, and there are even some aspects of it that I like over Arkham, like the increased focus on positioning, the meter management, and mobility, some of the gadgets/superpowers, and the environmental usage. The latter's a bit contextual, but it's fun, and it works. Plus, there are ring-outs. Who the hell doesn't like ring-outs?

There's a perfect dodge mechanic in the game that I like, but one of the upgrades (Which is required if you want to get the other stuff on that tree) literally makes it easier to pull off. Meaning that when you're normally dodging now, you're constantly gonna get hits of slow-mo, because of how much more lenient it is. But wait, there's also a skill that increases the damage you deal after a perfect dodge. BUT WAIT, there's also a skill that lets you insta-kill an enemy that shot at you if you perfect dodged their projectile (Although it's somewhat inconsistent). BUT WAIT... There's another skill that... Yeah, you guessed it, slows down everyone else for a few sections after a perfect dodge. No other words are needed to describe how completely fucking broken the perfect dodge is in this game.

Enemy variety and design is pretty meh. There aren't many types, mostly a lot of reskins. Classic Arkham clone pitfall. They get the job done, but the brutes and the jetpack guys that I've encounter late game suck. Brutes have a bad habit of sliding around the arena while punching you out for 20% of your health in one go. Classic enemy tracking problems, really. Not unique to this game. Jetpack guys... Yeah, I've never been big on flying enemies in action games. No different here.

The world design reminds me of the inFAMOUS games. That's a good thing, because I like those. I find that a lot of the activities are built to be pretty immediate. Compared to a lot of other open worlds, where you have to trudge from point A to B, before giving up, and fast-travelling to the nearest point, moving around in Spider-Man, and inFAMOUS is fun, and a lot of the side content is fairly prompt, and doesn't take too long to complete. It's more like "You open your map, notice that a landmark/backpack is on the way to your destination, and you swing by to handle those". To quote Yahtzee's inFAMOUS 2 review: "A bad sandbox is one where you speed disinterestedly from plot mission to plot mission like the London Underground, but a good sandbox makes you go "well, there's the next story mission, but ooh! Collectibles! Ooh! Random encounters! Ooh! An intact thing!" A good sandbox is one where you can mess around for hours after making the hollow promise to yourself you'll stop any minute now."

I'll stop rambling, but this is definitely one of the best PS4 exclusives on the platform. As low a bar as that is.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum