You are not connected. Please login or register

Control - by Remedy

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Control - by Remedy Empty Control - by Remedy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:26 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin

If Bullet Witch can have a place in the Action Games portion, so can this. Made by the brilliant people behind Max Payne and the underloved Alan Wake, comes Control. Looks really interesting in how you can use the enviroment to kill things.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

2Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am

Birdman

Looks awesome.

3Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:33 pm

MoonKnight/Kaji

MoonKnight/Kaji
C-Rank
Yeah this looks sick. Reminds me of a much more interesting Quantum Break. We should see more later this week I believe. The powers look awesome, and I loved the tone of the whole thing. This is the most trippy thing they've ever made. Also, 1:13-1:17 reminds me of Max 3 shooting! Great to see that! Now we just need a shoot-dodge and my life will be complete.

Speaking of which, you guys need to check this trailer out, it looks like a over-the-top 2D Max Payne game:

4Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Birdman

I was just thinking of Quantum Break. Only seen a few videos and it's Xbox only so I never got to play it.

That game hit the bargain bins here very early. I wonder what happened to it? Was it any good?

5Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 am

MoonKnight/Kaji

MoonKnight/Kaji
C-Rank
I honestly haven't played Quantum Break because I don't have an Xbone or a great PC, but I've heard it's Remedy's weakest game by a considerable margin. Not bad, but nothing too special either. It didn't sell very well in general so I doubt we'll see a sequel. I just thought the time effects looked similar to QB. Excited to see more about this. I think there is gonna be a dev interview later on.

6Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Quantum Break is by the same developers, and I think I heard somewhere this is a sequel to it in a sense (think Demon's Souls to Dark Souls, or DMC4 to Bayonetta). The game mostly had a balance problem from what I know with your powers being cool and all, but playing it as a coverbased shooter was just too easy and overpowered. Level design also felt rushed, but the game and its production was heavily held back by it also being a tv-series I think - which was integrated into the game (somehow).

7Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 am

Birdman

I still haven't finished Alan Wake, only played the first chapter I think, but it also played out like a tv show. It was kinda odd.

8Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:12 am

MoonKnight/Kaji

MoonKnight/Kaji
C-Rank
The TV series was the biggest thing that bogged it down, and that's coming from Remedy developers. They always give off the impression in interviews that QB was just "okay". Even they seem kind of iffy about the whole thing. This game is supposed to have a much greater emphasis on game play and Metroidvania style exploration, so I don't think the story is going to quite as involved as Alan Wake or QB. Basically think Max 1+2. Obviously story is important in those games, but the dumb fun of it all is the main draw.

I liked Alan Wake overall, I wouldn't say it was great though. A sequel has the potential to be something really special however. Hopefully they get the chance to make one.

9Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin

Gameplay demo; looks really interesting so far, but I'm also a bit cautious about it. The shield looks great, but with most abilities I always wonder "why throw things when you can head shot".

10Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:23 am

Birdman

Reminds me of the stasis field in Gravity Rush 2. Pick up and throw shit. Also Dead Space 2.

The gun looks interesting. Did it change shape to use different types of shots? Hard to see with all that shit flying around.

11Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:50 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
Shoot bangs with telekinesis? Looks like a better version of Psi ops: the mind gate conspiracy(there’s a fair few shoot bangs/telekinesis games around, what with physics being a thing, especially the early 2000s)

Yeh this looks like a better version of Quantum Break, which had too much story interference, I mean this is the total amount of actual gameplay, courtesy of Bick Benedict(have you invited him to the site Roy? I’d love to hear his thoughts on games here):

This play through is amusing, he goes from apologising for shitting on the game, then by the end he says fuck this game and even leaves a tweet to remedy about it at the end that says “This game is shit and you know it” haha. Good Ol Bick.

12Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:27 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Psi Ops...now there's a game I haven't heard of in a while. I could never play it since I didn't have a PS2 growing up, but it always caught my eye.

And yeah it really does look like a buffed Quantum Break. 

> Bick
Numerous times has he received an invitation, but he isn't up for it. I think his mental health issues need to be solved first in his eyes, he's really struggling from what I heard. We sometimes converse on Twitter.

13Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
-Kajiwotore- wrote:Speaking of which, you guys need to check this trailer out, it looks like a over-the-top 2D Max Payne game:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That was originally a Newgrounds game, i played that game when it was still on the front page years ago, wow. So cool its getting a proper release for a sequel, Devolver Digital knows whats up that's for sure.

14Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:52 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin

One of the few reviewers I still enjoy, most of the time that is. So far the game is getting great praise. I am a tad worried that we're looking at a long slog as well with lots of filler, walking-talking and unskippable stuff that hamper replays. I do like that we see a healthbar.

Surprised to hear it is a MetroidVania shooter. Didn't see that one coming. Framerate seems absolutely abysmall on consoles, better to go for the X1X or PC version I'd say.

15Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
I’ll try to rent this one. I also worry about unstoppable stuff but also how much the powers and using the environment will just be basic weapon archetypes. Still want to give it a chance though.

16Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Most from what I'm seeing is 'it is a shotgun' and 'it is an AR-15' basically, so yeah that has me worried too. Granted, Vanquish also mostly fell into this trap outside of the LFE, so who knows. I cannot rent, but I'll probably....find a way to play it for free.

17Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:42 am

Birdman

Looks like a rental. Could end up being more. Exploration looks interesting.

Shooting looks boring, as does the throwing.

18Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
I wonder if the graphics and aesthetic are what’s making it get such high scores. I’d be willing to try it but it does seem like the frame rate drops really low on PS4. I’ll play it after Astral Chain/Catherine.

19Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
That's always a problem. You never really know where the emphasis in these reviews lay, most of the reviews talk about the story for a solid 60+% easy. I'll probably give it a spin later this in september when my current games have calmed down a tad.

20Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:12 pm

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
I "borrowed this from a friend" on pc, I will be posting some impressions this week. Quantum Break was one of the worst shooting games I have ever played, but I really loved Alan Wake, so hoping this is the good remedy on this one. Not expecting much though after QB. Also all of the gameplay just shows this boring pistol. Something I really hated about QB was the two weapon limit, and the overall lack of weapons. Ehh we'll see.

21Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
https://controlgame.com/control-september-update/
Note, the game is getting a stability patch with some other notes. Thankfully, no gameplay patches, just things related to UI, load times, frame rate and other bugs.

22Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
I deleted this within an hour. Remedy is dead imo. This is just QB with only a pistol and crappy crafting loot mechanics everywhere. It's a shame. I would rather playthrough Alan Wake again for the 4th time then touch this again.

Edit: No difficulty select either, an absolute bore with their game reviewer difficulty

23Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 am

Birdman

That's exactly how it looked to me in videos.

24Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I'll wait and judge for myself at one point, but this does sound a tad like what I was expecting. QB had some fun ideas, but was really held back by its modern tropes.

25Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Did some digging, apparently this title is in the same universe as Alan Wake and also explains a tad what was going on in that game. Pretty nifty.

26Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:11 am

Birdman

Might just watch a playthrough since I can't rent it and there won't be a substantial price drop for ages.

Last edited by Birdman on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

27Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:20 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Fact that it's a semi open-world shooter with 'bonfires' was enough warning for me.

28Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:58 pm

Birdman

You're kidding!

I'm so sick of that mechanic.

29Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Did anyone end up playing this?

30Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I did hear that the PS4 version's framerate got fixed somewhat. But no, didn't play it. As noted, the second I heard the game had bonfires I 'noped' out at mach speed. You Infi?

31Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:27 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Nope. When I started getting into GoW2 I stopped paying attention to new games for a while. I’m sick of getting burned by new releases I think.

32Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank
Off topic but is anyone into borderlands? I have been playing 3 a lot and god damn does the shooting feel sublime. Best handling modern shooter since doom and syndicate imo. I'll make a topic if anyone is interested.

Sent from Topic'it App

33Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 am

Nadster

A-Rank
I keep forgetting about this! Only played MP1 & 2. I should see if there is a demo(although I am sure there is no demo. I like demo disks.). Never played Borderlands before.

34Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:47 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Gave this game a try at a mate's house.

For what it's worth, I do appreciate how run and gun is totally viable here. Reminds me a bit of Infamous Second Son, where your aiming without zooming isn't neutered. You can also change directions while sprinting while continuing to do so. Little things like this definitely make me feel more charitable towards it.

And I really wouldn't mind seeing this advanced a physics engine in other action games. Makes it feel a lot more chaotic and messy.

Haven't played enough to really get an opinion on it, yet.

35Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
I’ve put in a few hours and I can say I genuinely find the combat bad. Completely dumb, easy, brainless slop from what I’ve experienced so far.

36Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
What makes it so in your eyes? The game is still on my "I want to try it but I heard it had bonfires" list.

37Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Keep in mind I’ve only played a few hours and I don’t know how long this is, but:

-no resource management, even your ammo is on a cooldown, so your brain goes on autopilot during combat and exploration is nothing more than finding crap for upgrades
-gun reloads itself
-powers are pretty braindead, throwing objects at enemies is just holding R1 and pointing at the enemy. Any nearby object(of which there are countless of in every room) will fling to the enemy, and there doesn’t seem to be a difference between any object you can use
-there’s a meter for your powers but it’s also on a cooldown, also no penalty for using the entire bar
-enemies are dumb as rocks and don’t do anything but hang back and wait for you to throw stuff at them
-areas are way too big and make getting away from enemies effortless(not that you need to since the game is so easy)
-no difficulty settings
-no meter of any kind tied to melee when it’s a pretty high damage tool
-next to no utility tools so far
-as for non gameplay stuff, the level design and world are boring, the story is “hey look how weird we can be”, the cutscenes are janky stilted stuff you’d see in a WRPG, etc.

Also, how in the hell did this game win best art direction at the game awards over Sekiro? This is probably the most boring looking games I’ve played from 2019. Even Ace Combat 7 looks better.

38Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:26 am

Birdman

That's all sounds like utter garbage.

>how in the hell did this game win best art direction
Ugly female designs I'd say.

39Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:29 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
@Infinity_Divide wrote:How in the hell did this game win best art direction at the game awards over Sekiro? This is probably the most boring looking games I’ve played from 2019. Even Ace Combat 7 looks better.
Physics engine. Gotta have desks and paper flying everywhere when fighting for max immersion.

40Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:29 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Hmm, I guess my post didn’t go  through.

I’m roughly 75% of the way through the game judging by a guide I saw and I can say this game is completely amateurish and hollow in its design and mechanics, can’t recommend this to anyone. I’ll give it better rundown when I’m done with it.

41Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:37 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Sometimes if you leave the tab open too long, you need to re-confirm your post or something I've noticed.

42Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Beat it. Here’s a basic list of issues I have with the combat:

-No resource management for either guns or powers. Ammo and power meter restore on their own in seconds, killing the need to conserve either or play smart
-Guns reload themselves, letting you mash throw while the guns reload
-Throw can be mashed until the meter is out, then it fills back up in seconds
-The various objects that you can throw are all identical in their purpose and properties, none dealing any more damage, hitstun, knockdown, take longer to pick up or travel, etc.
-No need to aim throw, an object will appear next to you almost instantly regardless of where you are
-No resource management in regards to what can be thrown, as Jesse will take rocks out of the floor if there’s nothing nearby
-Enemies are incredibly passive and do nothing to force out of your position, making it incredibly easy to camp behind a wall and spam telekinesis
-The different enemy types provide little difference to approach combat
-You can sprint indefinitely, making it a joke to get away from enemies
-Enemy compositions and scenarios are incredibly repetitive
-High tier enemies are damage sponges and because everything is tied to cooldowns without big damage, high resource options, this results in mashing your guns/powers on a rotation until they’re dead
-High tier enemies are also very immobile and encourage a generic cover shooter play style
-Melee is fairly high and damage and low commitment, but still manages to feel pointless since power sniping is so easy and viable
-No penalty for using up entire gun or power meters, encouraging a “mash until they’re dead” play style
-Exploration is meaningless thanks to lack of resources, the only things to find are generic journal entries/notes and stock upgrades(random% increases to power/melee/meter)
-Little reason to use the not-SMG when the not-handgun functions almost identically and is safer at long distances
-No difficulty selection
-redundant abilities, throwing bodies means nothing when there is always something else to throw, and it provides no extra advantage
-throw is much, much more powerful than guns, to the point of it always being the first choice in any fight. Much higher damage, hitstun, safer, necesssry for shielded enemies, etc.
-Headshots are not worthwhile since a throw still does exponentially more damage without requiring as much precision
-Levitate takes no resource even though it lets you get away from pressure and skip fights easily
-Enemies fill stock roles and variety is low across the board. You’ll fight them all in the last two big battles of the game and it highlights how little thought was put into them since your tactics still won’t change from the beginning of the game(run in circles or camp and alternate throw/guns)

They went for a Metroidvania-style world and it was a complete failure imo. You only get one power that actually lets you access a new area(levitate), the rest of the progression is just getting keycards from NPCs, so acquiring a new weapon/ability and using it for combat and traversal like you would in most Metroidvanias is absent here. Some of the later areas are cool looking but most of it is drab and the different zones/areas aren’t distinct like they are in something like Metroid Prime.

There’s also only...one? boss in the entirety of the main missions, and it’s no different than the regular heavy enemies. There’s really nothing creative that happens in any encounter.

43Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 pm

Birdman

'Basic' list? Hahaha

The throwing sounds similar to Gravity Rush 2, though that had way more depth to it.

Pulling apart the floor is actually an interesting mechanic. If resource management was a thing here and it cost something to do, it could've been good.

44Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Damn that's...pretty hard. I can understand some of the choices, like not making it a resource based game, but when there's so little else going on it just highlights it further. Going to avoid this game from now on, thanks Infinity for taking the plunge in my stead haha! If you could, how would you have seen the game changed?

45Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Some things I would change:

-Give the gun some damn ammo, maybe even make one ammo type that’s shared with all the guns taking up different quantities(since they are all technically one gun). That way there would be some decision making involved, headshots and grouping enemies would matter, and exploration would be encouraged.
-The throw ability needs an overhaul. Instead of every random object in a room being throwable there should be set objects that have unique properties, such as different damage, hitstun, knockdown, travel time, meter use, etc. Right now, everything is identical from what I can tell with the only different being cosmetic.
-I didn’t really talk about the different guns because they seem very basic and unremarkable. The not-shotgun has a narrow spread and is pretty weak overall, it could really use a bigger punch(maybe you could use it to group enemies together and then throw a large object at the group). The not-sniper rifle doesn’t fulfill any roles the throw doesn’t, maybe giving it significant penetration and collateral damage would help differentiate it. The not-SMG is just terrible imo, inaccurate, unsafe, low damage even with mods. It could really take some notes from something like the chain gun in OG doom, giving great stunlock while you run and gun to get into a better position or something.
-The enemies need to be re-worked from the ground up. This could have been a game of absolutely frantic battles but the enemies are so passive and unwilling to do anything besides lob the occasional grenade that it kills any sense of intensity. Maybe have some enemies with powers that aren’t just levitate to get you to play creatively.
-It would have been cool for the meter to drain while you’re holding and aiming objects, and maybe the longer you hold it the more its effects are amplified(like a charge shot of sorts). Guns and throw could have also had different properties depending on whether or not you’re levitating.

Just some random ideas. I tried to play it again after I beat it and got bored pretty quickly. There’s no difficulty settings so I can’t go back and pick very hard or something, and the game really does not seem like something that’s made for challenge runs.

46Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I think they could've done stuff like that on higher difficulties if needed. For instance on Normal, Throw is the same across the board, while on Path of the Controller (lol) each item has its own values and you can run out of 'ammo' i.e. things to chug at people.

Because for such a mainstream title I can imagine they wanted the throw button to be this "press to do cool shit" button.

47Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:23 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Didn't they figure this out like... Back in inFAMOUS 2? You know, in 2011? If not, even earlier than that?

There were a bunch of different blasts to pick from, each of which had different properties. The sniper blast had really long range, but a lower AoE, Detonation blast was like a remote bomb that you could shoot again with a normal attack, and have it blow up, and the Graviton blast would cause enemies to float.

Among a few other things, like the Bolts, and Grenades.

(Main problem with inFAMOUS 2 was that you can't actually get access to all the powers. You either have to be a good guy, or a dick to get access to one half of the powers. I have no idea if you can get both powers by hopping from one side, and then hopping to the other.)

48Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Nadster

A-Rank
>Infamous 2
I actually beaten this game on both sides and yes you can get all powers if you beat it twice. I would recommend having another save slot just in case.

49Control - by Remedy Empty Re: Control - by Remedy on Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:25 am

Birdman

>For instance on Normal, Throw is the same across the board

Or maybe have it change properties depending on gun.

Gravity Rush 2 has 3 gravity styles and throw changes completely depending on style. If you have meter, you can do charge shots with different properties.

You gather nearby objects and debris and they float around you. You can then fire them piece by piece like expending ammo. There has to be something to grab though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum