You are not connected. Please login or register

The Wonderful 101

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Wonderful 101 Empty The Wonderful 101 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:08 am

Birdman

Making this topic because I just watched this combo video.

2The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Such a weird and wonderful game, really enjoyed playing it. Really hope it will get some new life on The Switch like Bayonetta did. But it also has a lot of things that I hate, mostly notably the forced shooter sections that would even ruin your rank, which really put me off from trying to get a highest rank.

Still, not a lot of games today that are this creative and colorful and well designed as this one. Love the whole Super Sentai thought behind it, though I'm also pretty interested in the original concept; originally all the units were Nintendo characters.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:57 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
I picked up a Wii U last week and I'm finally getting round to giving this game a go.

Holy shit, I'm finding this a lot harder than Platinum's other titles. In one sense it's not hard at all as you can't really fail (you can continue from exactly where you died) but on the other hand it seems that enemies don't telegraph their attacks as blatantly in this game. With all the effects present on screen when the combat gets hectic, it can be hard to tell if an enemy has started an attack.

Still, I think the concept of the game is great so I'm gonna stick with it. Looking forward to seeing how the moveset develops.

4The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 am

Birdman

Would love to get back to this game. It's always on my mind.

5The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:03 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
There are a lot of rumors currently, only fueled by a Platinum Games interview a few days back, that it is getting a Switch port finally. We'll have to wait and see!

6The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:59 am

GodModeGOD

GodModeGOD
C-Rank
SBK seemed fond of this one. Another I couldn't get behind (as with KH).

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/the-ultimate-god-of-war-union-bo

7The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
C-Rank
I assume that there hasn't been any news regarding this game getting a Switch port? This game is on my list, but it's literally the only Wii U title I have on my list, and... I'd rather not buy a console to play only 5 titles, let alone only one.

8The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The chance on it being ported still exists, and I wouldn't put it past the studio, but I think they're waiting for a good timeslot. Which won't be anytime soon.

There's still quite some good exclusive titles on the machine, but it really depends on what you like.

I'd almost say, screw it, buy a Switch with Astral Chain if you're really begging for quality Platinum Games action. That said, since you're still new to the genre, there's so, so, so, so many other titles you can try as well, I'd say start with consoles you already own :)

9The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
@Phoenix Wright wrote:I'd rather not buy a console to play only 5 titles, let alone only one.

I bought a Wii U for W101 and soft-modding it to play Gamecube games off of an SD card. 4 Gamecube controllers later, I still have mixed opinions on whether or not it was a good use of money! Razz

10The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Birdman

It was. Birdman said so.

11The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
C-Rank
>there's still some exclusives on the Wii U

Maybe, but I either don't know about these, or I'm not particularly interested. Every game I wanted to play on it already has a Switch port (Mario Kart, Bayonetta, etc.), so it's been reduced to only one game. I think I've asked this question a few times on different places, and pretty much everyone agrees that I'd be lucky to find a handful of exclusives that interest me, and even then, they tell me to wait for these to get a Switch port, so... I'm back to square one.

>buy a Switch with Astral Chain

Yeah, that's one of the reasons as for why I'm buying a Switch.

>try the games from consoles I own

Will do.

>Soft-modding a Wii U to play GC games

Actually... that's a good idea. I think I might end up doing that if there's no sign of W101 getting a Switch port. Then again, I've never owned a Gamecube, so I'd have to look for its library to see if any game interests me. And there were certain Wii games I wanted to play too, but I sold it.

12The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The WiiU games I'd recommend would have been Devil's Third, Super Mario 3d World (the best 3d Mario imo), Golden Sun duology (only way to play them at a decent resolution), Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Pikmin 3. Those haven't been ported yet, and I doubt the will any time soon. Though you never know.

Regarding Gamecube titles. Pf, that's a big list haha!

13The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
C-Rank
I only know of Mario, and the Zelda games (and of course, W101). The rest, I've heard about them, but dunno how they play... or anything at all, really. Also, I haven't beaten a single 3D Zelda game. I have a magazine that talks about Wii titles, including Twilight Princess. It's basically a guide.

And yeah, I know that the GC has a lot of titles, but it'll be somewhat hard to find a game that's not from Nintendo (I already included them), and games which aren't available on PS2 already.

14The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The Gamecube is mostly beloved for still having multiplatform games on a Nintendo console and having some of the absolute best games Nintendo's respective series have on offer i.e. Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Melee, F-Zero GX, The Thousand Year Door etc. Not to mention sporting some really great exclusives like RE4, RE0, REmake, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Rogue Leader and Twin Snakes.

Some games did get re-released later on other machines, but the 'Cube versions tend to be seen as the superior versions, usually in terms of graphics like with VJ. Some, like Rogue Leader, TTYD, F-Zero GX and PN03 are still exclusive.

Zelda games are pretty great, but they always have one weird thing to them. But they really are this bizarre finely crafted title. There's one for everyone I'd say, they're so varied per entry it's scary at times.

15The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
C-Rank
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/platinumgames/the-wonderful-101-remastered/description

Huh... if this is legit, it looks like I won't have to buy a Wii U after all.

16The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Holy shit, the PS4 version is surely going to happen at this rate. Crazy times we live in. I would absolutely love for this to be on a console I actually have hooked up at all times, amazing game.

17The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
C-Rank
Wow. They did it. All stretch goals (Switch, Steam and PS4) reached. All of it in the span of only one day. That's incredible. Seeing all of this happen got me really curious about the game now.

I can't wait to play this game one day.

EDIT: "Get Blocked on Twitter By Kamiya".

Wait... what? Laughing

18The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
GODDAMN. Glad to see that Wonderful 101's coming to PC. Definitely gonna buy this one! I've heard a lot of good things about that game.

19The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:45 am

Birdman

Wtf it's coming to PS4???

20The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
It’s a fantastic game, man. It’s very confusing for pretty much your whole first play through and has one of the hardest Normal modes I’ve ever played, but if you stick with it you see how creative and deep the game is.

>blocked by Kamiya

Heh. Kamiya has a history of blocking people on his Twitter for the most seemingly innocent things, like asking his opinion on various things or even for praising Bayonetta. I believe he has over 30,000 people blocked. As far as I know, he does it because he gets tired of reading the same comments and questions all the time. It’s become quite a meme.

21The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:15 am

hedfone

hedfone
A-Rank

22The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:32 am

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
I hear that it uses a lot of weird fighting game-ish inputs, like an S with the analogue stick, or a triangle. That true?

Also, is it combo-based, or efficiency-based?

23The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:41 am

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
>weird inputs

Yeah it has the ones you mentioned along with some other shapes. I think the idea was to have the player draw them on the Wii U’s gamepad(but most people including myself just used the analogue stick).

>combo or efficiency based

Absolutely efficiency-based. Very heavy on resource and meter management, lot of different enemy types with weaknesses, and it’s just a very punishing game overall. The ranking system really makes you git gud too, unlike something like DMC5.

24The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:46 am

Birdman

25The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Just donated myself for that sweet keychain and physical release. That and the company just plain deserves the money for this project. Really curious if the Platinum4 means they are going to be bringing four of their projects back.

Could mean we'll be seeing Bayonetta 2 on other systems, or better yet, a return from old Clover titles that they managed to get their hands on.

If anything this opens up a suspicion of mine, what if they used Tencent's money to buy back some of their IP's like Okami, VJ and W101 from their respective publishers? That'd be one hell of a twist!

> Punishing game
That has infinite on-the-spot revives mind you, the only punishment is a lower rank. You're practically immortal even on the highest setting if I recall correctly, which was my biggest gripe of the game (that and the Kamiya sections).

I do hope we'll get some sort of benchmark before it hits. I'm really doubting between a PS4 or Switch version. I feel it should belong on a Nintendo console, but if that version runs like shit for whatever reason I'd rather not.

26The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:38 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
The Kickstarter release date for the reward tiers that don't feature merchandise is April 2020. I guess they've actually already developed all 3 ports?

27The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am

Birdman

Does it mean only people who donated get the physical and DLC?

If so I'm not buying it. Hate that shit. Will either wait for a complete release or sale.

28The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
No, they just get it 'for free' since they donated. All content will always be available down the line, though the physical release might be exclusive to the Kickstarter, it sometimes is. In this case I'd say though, don't complain. Wonderful 101 is a game we'd never expected to see return, and they are doing their best to bring a title back that nobody believes will make a profit. We should be grateful it is even returning, let alone on multiple platforms.

29The Wonderful 101 Empty platinum dawn on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:39 am

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
*snort*
Whatever.
Razz

Funny to see the spawn P* follow the way of the former mothership CAPCOM in way of politics. Remaster your released ones, neglect creating fresh stuff. But the thing that offends me is the actual remastering. What to remaster? I suppose that's a new automatic easy mode and the eradicating to any Nintendo references.  Rolling Eyes

Remember a time and place when you bought a system so you could have an exclusive?
Gone, Grandad. Gone.

30The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
> one of the best action games to date is finally returning and becoming multiplatform without touch-screen gimmicks, allowing more people to play it without buying the horrible WiiU console

> whatever

I swear people are impossible to please. We've been begging and hoping for a W101 port for years, and now we're finally getting it and you can get it for around 35,- bucks physical by supporting, on nearly every platform including PC. Be glad more people can experience this masterpiece now.

> Exclusives
Plenty of exclusives around, but no need to have good games stay stuck on broken systems that nobody owns, rather more people experience the games. The sooner the WiiU is absorbed by the Switch completely the better. The system cannot even preserve the battery life in its tablet. It's a hazard.

> New automatic easy
Game already had this.

> Removing Nintendo references
The only references to Nintendo were a Super Scope design for the Unite Gun's highest form and Wonderful Gamer wearing a Famicom hat. The rest are more visual look alikes or weird names like "Lowrule" that wouldn't be removed. Nothing as big in this game like for instance the Nintendo statues in Twin Snakes or Viewtiful Joe whisteling the Mario Brothers themesong.

31The Wonderful 101 Empty fight song on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 am

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
I love fighting, but I don't like a fight. Please bear that in mind when you go over the following.
I'm aware of some inner pangs, that I act like a cynic. It's more that I feel out of touch with the Zeitgeist.

@Royta/Raeng wrote:

I swear people are impossible to please.

I'm not. It's easy. I'm not in any position to demand anything with the power of money.

@Royta/Raeng wrote:We've been begging and hoping for a W101 port for years,

I haven't. Who is "we"? Are you speaking for a certain demographic I'm not aware? Just interested in your argumentative angle. Not to trigger you off.

@Royta/Raeng wrote:and now we're finally getting it and you can get it for around 35,- bucks physical by supporting, on nearly every platform including PC. Be glad more people can experience this masterpiece now.

I should be glad for peeps who couldn't be bothered like you and me to own a system that goes against some imaginary grain, that got mocked at and who wouldn't budge for something fresh? No. VJ ported to the then popular Sony system fare any different?

@Royta/Raeng wrote:
Plenty of exclusives around, but no need to have good games stay stuck on broken systems that nobody owns, rather more people experience the games. The sooner the WiiU is absorbed by the Switch completely the better. The system cannot even preserve the battery life in its tablet. It's a hazard.

That paragraph rubs off like something similar to personal regret. That's on you.

@Royta/Raeng wrote:> New automatic easy
Game already had this.

Always room (people) for more. If I'm not mistaken, Vanquish and Bayonetta have not one but 2 easy modes.

@Royta/Raeng wrote:> Removing Nintendo references
The only references to Nintendo were a Super Scope design for the Unite Gun's highest form and Wonderful Gamer wearing a Famicom hat. The rest are more visual look alikes or weird names like "Lowrule" that wouldn't be removed. Nothing as big in this game like for instance the Nintendo statues in Twin Snakes or Viewtiful Joe whisteling the Mario Brothers themesong.

There's also the Punch-Out fights.
Fair enough. What's your own idea that would require some rework, then? Did something seriously bother you that you would insist on correcting?

32The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:33 am

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
@Zenyn wrote:Funny to see the spawn P* follow the way of the former mothership CAPCOM in way of politics. Remaster your released ones, neglect creating fresh stuff.

Remember a time and place when you bought a system so you could have an exclusive?
Gone, Grandad. Gone.

To be fair, there's demand from P* fans for their exclusives to be brought to other systems. Historically if you're a P* fan but not a Nintendo fan you've probably not played W101/Bayo2/Astral Chain.

All systems still have exclusives, which is a shame, because they don't really benefit consumers at all. Not everyone can afford to (or even wants to) buy multiple systems, so I don't think it's a huge surprise that this Kickstarter has taken off so well.

It'll be interesting what else gets unveiled under the "Platinum 4" umbrella. You have a point regarding remastering their existing works, but we had Astral Chain last year and Babylon's Fall and Bayo 3 are in development. I think it's a little harsh to say they're neglecting fresh content.

33The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
> we
Fans of the genre, Platinum Games or just plain fans of the original game in question. It has popped up numerous times in wishlists, bingocards and more during numerous Nintendo Directs with plenty people disappointed when it never happened. It isn't on the level of something like a FFVII remake, but it was high on the wish-list of numerous people like myself, Infinity, SBK, etc. You'd have to dive into google to find it now since the kickstarter news overtakes any and all search-queries though. Numerous youtubers like Matthewmathosis and their ilk are also staunch fans.

And the results of the kickstarter show it. Almost a million euros have been raised in a day, and that's just early adopters. We'll probably be looking at the kickstarter outselling the original release at this point.

> Punchout
A reference at best, not a direct copyright infrigement if left in. It isn't like you're fighting against Little Mac and the Punchout OST is playing. It is just a similar styled fight.

> Personal regret
No clue what you're talking about regarding 'personal regret'. The WiiU was a lackluster console with a half-realized idea (take a console with you). The Switch is basically its concept but functional since it doesn't desynch after less than 5 meters. Cannot imagine people thinking it is a worthwhile machine to keep around on a technical basis, only reason I still have it is for Devil's Third, Mario 3d World and W101 - two more to go before I can sell it. There's a few more games for others to keep it around like Xenoblade and Zelda HD, but that's it.

Exclusives are great to get more budgets going and push the industry, competition breeds excellence and all that. But for older games, I'd say the more the merrier. I'd love to see Shinobi and Nightshade return to all consoles, its PS2 exclusivity be damned. It's the reason I love the Xbox One X so much, gives me access to my older games but better.

Wonderful 101 sold less than 50.000 copies iirc, thanks to its lackluster marketing, bad platform and timing etc. Let alone it being a limited printed game. Really hope we'll see it shine this time around.

> easy modes
Wonderful 101 has Easy and Very Easy - same as Bayonetta and Vanquish. "Very Easy" in Wonderful 101 was akin to the Automatic modes of those games iirc.

> correcting
Personally I'd prefer they remove the 'Kamiya sections', make them optional or at least not ranked. The game has a lot of these "and now you're playing Space Harrier, but bad" moments. While fun, they are ranked and also quite dull. I'd like to see that changed. Other than that, it is as close to a flawless action game as you can get imo.
Fantastic combat system, great enemies and bosses, good set of unlockables etc.
On a technical end I'd like to see a more stable framerate, but that will be easy I'd reckon this time around.

But yeah Platinum Games is working forward as Greg also noted. Astral Chain just came out and was one of the most refreshing takes on the genre in a solid decade. They have two more titles on the way as well. This isn't Capcom that's just churning out greatest hits constantly with little thought on improving their formulas.

34The Wonderful 101 Empty the wonderful differences 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
@Gregorinho wrote:

All systems still have exclusives, which is a shame, because they don't really benefit consumers at all. Not everyone can afford to (or even wants to) buy multiple systems,

Yeah?  Laughing It's not "consumer benefit oriented"? That's a riot. I'm so out of touch, it actually makes me happy. Thank you.
This is what I do: I get news of any game I get a deep itch for I can't turn away from, I go out and get it. If I happen to be not in the possession of that particular system I'll buy it. Because I need it to fulfill my needs. Itchy&Scratchy. If that's wrong I don't wanna be right. Some tacky old bard would call that passion perhaps, and not "a shame".

@Royta/Raeng wrote: Cannot imagine people thinking it is a worthwhile machine to keep around on a technical basis,

That's cold. So you measure in technical basis? I'm not one for nostalgia either, but I establish bonds. If a system and the respective software brought me joy and fun I don't get rid of it on the grounds that it is technical inferior to the successor and should be sold. So I'd guess we differ there. Maybe you could partake to destroying something like the Virtual Boy. Because to you it's a abomination maybe? Keep one for the museums and get rid of it. Not worth it. It's a hazard for every eyeball!

35The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I admit to being a bit cold hearted towards the machine, and I have had great memories of it. And I'd be more kind it was functional, but as it is it really is an annoying system. It doesn't function properly without the (overpriced) gamepad. The gamepad drains power even when turned off, which is a known issue and has led to full on battery leaks in the system (a hazard). Not to mention the gimmicky touch-screen elements that were pushed and bad sticks on the tablet.

If I had to choose between keeping The Wonderful 101 stuck on a system that no-one has and thus no-one can experience this wonderful game, or the situation we're entering now. I know which one I'd pick.

> Virtual Boy

I actually owned one sadly, horrible system that hurt my eyes as a kid. But sadly, also some great games. Would love to see them ported over to modern machines at one point, especially Virtual Boy Wario Land. Fun game!

Though it will never happen, I do hope we'll one day just get some sort of master system for older systems at the very least. I'm really running out of space to keep them all hooked up.

> exclusives
There's up and downsides as noted. It is consumer unfriendly in how you're forced to buy a machine for something you like. I love Ninja Gaiden, so I must buy an Xbox. Others love Bayonetta, so they have to buy a WiiU (or currently, a Switch). I thankfully have more than enough disposable income to fork over 600 bucks to play NGII without lag, but can imagine lots don't. Cool that you're so passionate that you buy a console for one game everytime you get that itch, but you shouldn't have to do that I'd say. It could also be a multiplatform title.

You can see this with the Souls series best. Demon's Souls was a sleeper hit, but it wasn't until the series lost its platform-exclusivity that it really went big. Because simply put, they tripled their available audience.

The upside is, as noted, exclusive games get a bigger marketing push and also designpush to be really good. Because it has to sell the hardware.

But yeah, the more games go multiplatform, the better I'd say. I see no problem with it from a consumer standpoint. Who is harmed by having Wonderful 101 on a system other than the WiiU? At best the 'pride' of early adopters I'd say, that's it. And I bought W101 day one, and was first in line today as well. Cannot wait to play this game on a modern device and see new players experience this forgotten gem for the first time.

36The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
@Zenyn wrote:Yeah?  Laughing It's not "consumer benefit oriented"? That's a riot. I'm so out of touch, it actually makes me happy. Thank you.
This is what I do: I get news of any game I get a deep itch for I can't turn away from, I go out and get it. If I happen to be not in the possession of that particular system I'll buy it. Because I need it to fulfill my needs. Itchy&Scratchy. If that's wrong I don't wanna be right. Some tacky old bard would call that passion perhaps, and not "a shame".

I just think it's a shame that games are held ransom by publishers and hardware manufacturers when developers and gamers would love for games to reach as big an audience as possible.

Here, Platinum have an opportunity to release a game from the shackles of the Wii U to 3 much more successful platforms. You criticised this and suggested it showed a lack of innovation, even though Platinum have new titles in development alongside their ports. I'm not trying to attack you - I just think it's a bit of a harsh opinion. They can make money and please their fanbase, so who loses out?

I go out and buy whatever games or systems I like the look of too. I'd consider myself an extremely "passionate" gamer of over 20 years but I'd still rather not have to buy every system if it can be helped.

37The Wonderful 101 Empty pik me on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:03 pm

Zenyn

Zenyn
C-Rank
Ok, then. I can understand your respective standpoints better from what you've given to me.

It seems to me I'm merely a fool to adhere to some stronger conviction of a certain form of inception. TW101 came out of thinking about a Nintendo All-Star game (you can look up Iwata Asks for that). SEGA had no intention to produce a second Bayonetta, and Nintendo stepped up. We all know what the experimentation for a new Resident Evil hatched. Team Ninja chose XboX for its then hardware specifics. I just got it in my head that a multiplatform title is so...ordinary in concept.

I received a game in the mail today. Pikmin 3. You might want to call that stupid, insomuch that I'm not waiting like others for a Switch port. Why buy a game for a defunct system? Because I'm playing Pikmin 2 for Game Cube since last week, where I started it for the first time. Back in 2004 I missed out on it. And for the better. I don't think I would be as appreciative as I am today. So maybe you could consider this, too. That every river meets the sea, eventually. Silly metaphor here, but that's how I feel.

Last edited by Zenyn on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

38The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
There's nothing wrong with buying a game for a system you own, I have plenty of games for my Gamecube, PS2 and vanilla XBOX and that library keeps on growing. There's something special about playing games on those 4:3 systems as well. That said, if Metroid Prime ever came to a modern system, I'd love to give it a shot again just to experience the glory of that game in 16:9 in HD.

Regarding your points about Exclusivity, it is a upside and there are others as noted. Multiplatform is 'ordinary', but there is value in ordinary. Such as more people playing them. Pikmin is a fantastic series, but I'm sure a lot more people would've enjoyed them had the series been multiplatform.

ON TOPIC: the final tier has been revealed by the way. If we reach a certain goal, Kamiya will unblock everyone on Twitter. Damn.

39The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
Team Ninja picking Xbox for hardware reasons is a good point. I'd imagine Itagaki would argue bringing the series to other systems diluted his vision.

I definitely wouldn't call you stupid for buying Pikmin 3 - after all, I bought a Wii U for W101 last year because I wasn't prepared to wait for a port that probably wasn't coming... my Wii U is now a modded Wii/Gamecube machine.

Kamiya unblocking all of the insects?! Platinum are just printing money now!

40The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Team Ninja didn't pick the Xbox, Itagaki did because its hardware interested him. It was originally a PS2 exclusive.

Look, the power of exclusivity is hardware push. Since you only have to build for one console, you can really play to its strengths and directly access and reference certain parts. In turn, this makes it hard to port. This is part of the reason why some exclusive games rarely get ported, since the code is too hardwired around that specific piece of hardware.

But let's be honest, do we really miss out at this point if NGB and NGII come to every modern system? Back then it was good to have it be exclusive, since it gave it benefits, but at this point I'd say just put it on everything. It's been over 10 years.

41The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
>infinite on the spot respawns

True, but I think most players find the game punishing simply due to hard it can be to figure out. Even with the infinite revives I’ve seen people say it’s the most frustrating experience they’ve had with a game. Maybe they’ll change the revive system in this version.

42The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Notes from the Kamiya interview point towards some more clear tutorials and other ideas to make the game more clear on how to play. I mean, it took Saur for me to understand how the game even worked on a basic level, which shouldn't be needed imo.

Still wonder if Nintendo will ever make the original version of the game, would be fantastic.

43The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Gregorinho

Gregorinho
B-Rank
Honestly, I was really bad at the game. I really enjoyed it when it was going well, but there were a few fights were I struggled with enemy/attack visibility and I wasn't sure when to dodge. There was a boss that I spent about 20 minutes on because I couldn't trigger an attack that required all of the wonderful ones I had, it was really fiddly. The positive reception the game got makes me want to give it another try, though.

44The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
>Saur

He’s the reason I was able to love the game as well. Eternally grateful for his content.

Just read on the siliconera article that this is scheduled to release THIS April, is that true? That seems way too soon.

45The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
C-Rank
>punishing Normal mode

On a first glance, this game doesn't give me that vibe, haha. But I'll take your word for it.

>Kamiya's history with Twitter

Wow. First I've heard of this, all I've seen from you guys was mostly praise for his work... so I didn't imagine this was actually a thing at all, haha. The more you know.

>efficiency-focused

That's great to hear!

>April 2020

It seems so. From what I understand, the game comes out in April, and people who donated will receive the merchandise in November. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

46The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
The game can be quite brutal, it is a nice juxtaposition to see such a happy game be pretty brutal. Enemies are relentless and off-screen attacks are quite common (with sound-cues ofcourse).

47The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Birdman

I'm glad it's coming out, but what I meant is I just don't want to pay to get exclusive stuff. Drives me mad when I see things like 'backers only'.

48The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:45 pm

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
B-Rank
Trying to do S, and Triangle inputs on an analogue stick sounds like a nightmare, so I might just play this on a mouse and keyboard!

Looking at Saur's video on the drawing system, and I have no idea as to what they mean when they say "Swivel the stick". Do they mean to do a 180, or something?

49The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Most Kickstarter DLC is for everyone though, same happened with Shovel Knight iirc. It is just content that will only be made if there's enough budget I suppose.

Regarding the inputs, it gets pretty easy once you're used to it and the input system is very lenient. That said, I won't lie, it was one of the original dealbreakers for me as well.

50The Wonderful 101 Empty Re: The Wonderful 101 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
A-Rank
Passed $1.5M raised so far, pretty crazy. Curious to know how much of this was raised by those that have never played the game, and those who are fans who have already played it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum