You are not connected. Please login or register

How many times did they nerf the poor enemies?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran
Was one of the original users

After last summer I took a long break from playing Nioh. These days I got back to it, alongside with NGS2.

I tried replaying the first missions on way of the samurai. I used a book of reincarnation, I sold all my gear, and went naked, level 1 into the first mission. I found a level 1 hammer and a level 4 sword. So... I was killing most mobs in one combo with the sword in mid stance, and the level one hammer demolishes them... now, I clearly remember that when I started playing in february, when the game came out (let alone alpha and beta but that's in the past, we'll not see that anymore in our life), I couldn't kill mobs in one combo in the first level. Also notice that I'm not using Kato as a spirit, I have Isonade primary and Daiba Washi secondary, which means basically I don't get any bonus. And also enemies have incredibly slow attacks, and when they are in groups their AI becomes incredibly passive, I can attack one enemy and, most of times, the other ones are just watching.

Now, I get you want to make the game accessible to anyone, but... why I should be able kill an enemy in one combo at base ki? Isn't this game about ki management? Isn't the first level a good environment to teach players ki management? Is an enemy that doesn't die in one combo making the game unaccessible to newcomers? Is this good game design? Am I ranting too much?

So, now I'm in the spiders mission (I skept some side missions, Umi Bozu and Centipede because I don't like them), I've also done some of the sub-missions, like the one on the brige and the other in the arena in which you fight multiple enemies. I'm at level one, I'm using useless spirits, I have level 1 hammer, lvl3 spear, lvl4 sword and dual swords, and I'm not having any kind of trouble because enemies are slow, passive and don't have much health. I die more of haste than lack of skills.

So, I guess... they nerfed enemies again. Congrats.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

They've nerfed it again? I remember being attacking from every angle ruthlessly.

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

Apparently they nerfed them again. I don't know exactly when. I hope they'll be the same in strong or demon. If they are so slow and passive in demon too, then I just don't know...

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I guess this is what happens when devs listen to whiners, who are the majority unfortunately.

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

Yes. Though, mine was just a rant... in the end, probably we should grateful that games like this still get made in 2018. After all, if Koei Tecmo doesn't sell, it risk to get closed, so maybe this is the best way to do it... a compromise.

Your opinion?

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Rants are fine. I engage in them frequently hahaha.

There's probably no compromise. The 'hardcore' players want something that the majority don't want. They COULD put in difficulty tailored to suit players who want more of a challenge, but what happens then is the majority whiners get mad because when they see a mode, they want to beat it too and can't accept it wasn't designed for them. They won't be able to so they whine and get the devs to nerf everything to make it possible for them.

I'm not grateful though. Because of how Nioh is designed, I won't touch it again even though I found the combat great. Same goes for Nier Automata though I might get into that at some point because it's nowhere near as grindy. Might be good for a run-through anyway. I haven't bought it yet because I fear the GOTY edition may pop up the second I buy the standard one.

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Nioh topic? Incorrect information? Sign me up.

Okay here is what's happening. Nioh on launch was a mess, made with no real end-game in mind. Leveling was bothed in terms of scale (you could get to 750 really easily as leveling costs stopped increasing after level 200). Eventually the whole game was scaled back and a ton of content was added. To get to the true end game now you have to beat the game five times on a single character, which is a lot.

To make it easier for players to get to this end game, some things were streamlined and changed. A lot of mechanics, damage numbers and scaling stats were also changed with the new endgame in mind. You see this happen often in MMO's too, rebalancing abilities to the endgame only to see these things now wreck the old beginning of the game that remains untouched. This is what happened here. Leveling was also changed, making leveling harder after level 350, but levels giving you more stats as a balance; resulting in you being much stronger earlier on. If anything, the game is at its most brutally difficult now on Way of the Nioh and Abyss floors 108 and higher than ever before, but on a new game you'll mostly be steamrolling through now. Go on any forum of Nioh and you can see miles of topics complaining about the difficulty being too high, but these are all about the end-game. The early game is almost a formality now.

It is always a hard bargain, but I think it was the right call. Better to catter to the players who were there, day one, and want more content, than those that jump in a year later to see what is up. You could play the original by unpatching until you beat the main game if you wish though.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

@Birdman, haha, a good rant now and then is healthy XD
Not really, I'm trying to change this mentality. But thans for your reply. I guess you are quite "integralist" and I sympathize for that.

@Royta, well... I will probably skip to higher difficulties then, which I have unlocked.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

They thankfully also 'nerfed' the requirements to unlock certain areas and difficulties. Originally it went like this:

Beat 75% of the whole game on selected difficulty to unlock Queen's Eyes mission > beat said mission > unlock patch 1.6 missions > beat those > unlock DLC1-3 missions > beat 75% of those > unlock next difficulty.

Now it's:
Beat 25% of the whole game on selected difficulty to unlock Queen's Eyes mission > beat said mission > unlock patch 1.6 missions, DLC 1-3 missions and the next difficulty. A lot more 'get to the end asap' mode.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I guess you are quite "integralist" and I sympathize for that.

I dont know what this means Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dark_Blood_NG

C-Rank
Veteran

Birdman wrote:I guess you are quite "integralist" and I sympathize for that.

I dont know what this means Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh my english is very improvised so I may have used a wrong word XD
Maybe I should have said that you are strict and/or demanding when judging games.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I am though I think a bit differently from others who won't look past DMC, like those 'cuhrazyee' types, and can't even consider, even in theory, that another game has just as much depth. I'm willing to look deeply into any action game. Most people just laugh if you try to tell them Knack 2 has good mechanics. This results in me ranting a bit lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum