You are not connected. Please login or register

Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:30 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users

YO!! Chris/Not a Hero DLC is legit! Some re4-5 vibes but in 1st person. It's fairly short, took me about 2hrs the first time, but it's got a fair amount of substance to it, I'd say more so than the main game, which isn't much longer actually(not nearly as fun if you ask me).

So for combat, you got a pistol(with proper aim down sights this time), a shotgun,(NG+ gives an optional sight that increases damage but reduces accuracy) a knife, frag nades, incendiary and nitro(stun) nades.

The main big change is a straight up parry if you time your block as a strike lands on you. Timing is odd at first but you get a decent window of opportunity but timing is legit. Rewards are that an enemy gets staggered for a follow up strike, with a good ol' FI$T or a B00T to a grounded foe that typically instant kills, staggers other foes if near(potentially leading to other stunned foes) and seems to have some sexy I-fames we know and love(does suplex to priest). A headshot will usually put a standard molded into a stun state, stun nades but mobs into a melee state, also you can stomp grounded foes even if they are not stunned.

You can parry practically any attack(including the bosses), it's super satisfying to just repel a move you could only block in the base game, the crawler/*not* lickers jumping flailing attack gave me trouble as it can sort of clip or break your guard.

The game demands you learn this on professional mode, as you have very little ammo compared to normal, and only start with a knife. Some enemies *White molded* can only be harmed via special ammo for the pistol, but can be stunned with parry/prompt follow up or grenades.

2Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Re: Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Sounds decent. I haven't played any of the DLC but it all looks fun with quite a variety of gameplay modes. Will grab the Gold Edition soon.

3Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Re: Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:11 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Chris dlc is free too, end of zoe dlc is about £12, those two dlc are worth more than the main game to me. Main game doesn't have any replay value for me now, I played it recently and stopped after I beat mutant jack boss, the sections after are dull and no real final boss makes it pointless for me to continue.

End of Zoe dlc you play as Jack's brother Joe, he goes around bare knuckle boxing through his swamp to save zoe, straight up some breakdown shit, melee combos and all, goofy stuff. Oh no 'muh immersion' or something.

4Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Re: Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I still want to play the game itself, but I honestly don't know if I want to. The whole First Person Horror doesn't pull me, and I don't care for 'invincible guy chases you' gameplay. Yet it is Resident Evil, amongst my favorite franchises. I also still have to play 6, which apparently is the most action packed of them all which I honestly don't really mind.

Would you guys recommend the Gold Edition?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Re: Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:02 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

Can only speak for myself but I find it excellent and I'm a fan of the old RE. I didn't mind the viewpoint at all. I thought I would but it was fine. Really looking forward to getting the gold version with all the DLC.

Love the house and avoiding the family, though I really feel the game lost steam after beating the first two family members. The house is super creepy and really reminds me of old RE. Later areas not so much.

The first few boss fights I found particularly interesting. There is more than one way to deal with Jack depending on certain factors, some I didn't know until way after my first playthrough. I won't spoil anything though. Momma's fight was really good too because of the environment the fight takes place in.

I don't mind the chase gameplay either, probably because I never bothered with the first person horror fad. I'm straight from Clock Tower/Haunting Ground, to RE7 (forgot Alien Isolation which I also found excellent).

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Re: Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:01 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

It's a solid game overall but it's undoing is how linear it is and how past the jack section the game gets super linear and even madhouse does little to change past jacks sections. The chases aren't much of a threat(or chase at all their so brief and infrequent) as the areas you are chased through are short and interconnected so it's easy to just run to an area that's safe as enemies can't enter safe rooms. It doesn't take up much of the games run time it's very minor with how condensed the games areas and length are.

Gameplay is basic fps with knife for melee and a block to reduce damage. After playing it a bunch of times it's not worth replaying much for me, its way too linear and the enemy variety is actually 3(plus a regular variant). Puzzles are super basic, neat and nothing hard. I always replay up to the mutant jack boss as the sections after are really dull to me, especially since the final boss is a glorified cutscene.

Gold is the full package, main game plus all dlc, same as RE5 gold edition(this has exclusive extra additions).

I loved the Chris dlc more than the whole game, gameplay is much more enjoyable to me as it's just fps 4-5 gameplay. Professional mode changes are far more thoughtful than the main game. Enemy types are increased and it has a great final boss too. The parry move is super fun to use and adds a layer of depth a kin to 4-5-6 uses of melee prompts.

6 is great overall, mechanically its superb and really evolves the action oriented gameplay of 4 whereas 5 iterated while adding coop and more melee prompts. 6 has issues with level and enemy(zombies) design and Leon's campaign exemplifies these issues most as it's mostly walky talky with occasional awfully designed zombie enemy encounters. Chris campaign is the best by far, Jakes is second best.

7Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Empty Re: Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

So for reference, for anyone who takes issue with RE7 being 1st person, it’s not the first 1st person RE entry, that would be Gun Survivor, along with the rest of the Gun Survivor series(Dead Aim is 3rd person movement with 1st person aiming hybrid...on a boat!, which is another trope that’s older than you may think to the series).

It doesn’t change much in 7s case other than your field of view mainly, aiming is more similar than different from the last few entries, aiming the knife is done with the camera same as revelations1-2.

Chris DLC is pretty much his gameplay in 5 but 1st person, complete with melee prompt after successful headshot/parry and stomp prompt for downed enemies, with the addition being a parry after a perfect block, something that adds a lot to the combat. Chris parry is a needed addition as it adds a reward of negating all damage and stunning a foe to setup melee prompts, timed poorly and you just reduce damage, which from some mobs(white molded) can take more than half your life or outright kill you, so you need to learn to parry them especially for professional mode, as you start with just a knife.

The block in the base game could only mitigate damage, problem is that on madhouse enemies do massive damage through you’re block, especially the crawler enemies, who’s attack’s are almost impossible to avoid and their leaping attack is weird as it is 2 strikes that the second can seemingly break or clip through your guard. You can equip 2 items that both reduce damage when blocking, when both are in your inventory your block completely reduces damage.

I take it’s to compensate for the reduced field of view, given how RE combat has always been about spacing it’s noticeable as it’s harder to judge attack ranges, but I can regularly parry most mobs in Chris DLC now, so satisfying.

Still have yet to play End of Joe DLC, Joe has straight up bare knuckle combat, like some breakdown shit, really good stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum