You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your most frustrating gaming memory?

+4
Nadster
Gabriel Phelan Lucas
Birdman
Royta/Raeng
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Was one of the original users
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Do share! Anything that pissed you off so badly you were just fuming, or that when you think back on it you just can't help but rage on the inside.

For me the first thing that comes to my mind is the following:
Going for the trophy that requires you to beat Max Payne 3 on New York Minute Hardcore, which requires you to beat the whole game in one sitting without saving and without dying while on a (pretty) strict timer on the hardest difficulty setting. I reached the final boss and was actually doing well, nearly 8 hours into the run. Then my game froze.

Only time in my life that I threw my controller.

This also opted a change in me as a person, as until this point I was a trophy whore. I would sometimes not even buy a game if it didn't have trophies, or avoid ones that were too easy to platinum. After this freeze of Max Payne 3 I disabled Trophy Notifications and never looked back.

What are yours?

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

I havent had anything that induced such rage that I actually threw or broke something. Frustrated? Sure.

When DMC3 first came out and I learned about jump cancelling. That was pretty frustrating at the start but I finally got used to it.

Trying to S-rank Shinobi's final boss without damage. He'd always sneak in a hit and that pissed me off, though it wasn't so much that I got hit, but that I got hit right before it was time to go in for the final Tate. Another scenario was he'd do that annoying teleport attack so I'd have to dodge around until he stopped, which resulted in losing my full charge. Eventually got it though.

Actually I just remembered, The Evil Within 1 actually pissed me off in Akumu more than a few times. And no it wasn't chapter 6, it was that damn dog.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

Yeh fuck that dog, stupid mutt.

I've raged a fair few times, moslty when I was young, I've definitely thrown a controller or two also. I've got bite marks on my gameboy advanced, bit gross. Likely from a medibots game I have, some of the bosses are super cheap and can 1shot you, its 2 on 2 but they will gun for you and your ai buddy can die easy, so the bosses will just both spam supers and your dead. I played it a few years ago and still couldn't beat it haha.

I can't remember so I'll have to think about exact examples, but I remember getting furious at a killer is dead challenge mission, it was one of the tougher 1shot ones, I got so pissed I punched the tv, didn't break though but I was careful after to not thump TVs again haha.

I get upset all the time with games, mostly fleeting. Usually if I'm in a negative mood I'm less likely to put up with shit in games so when stuff goes bad its compounded.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

It wasn't that it was doing anything hard, it was that direct shots and strategies that others were using perfectly just wouldn't work for me. When I switched to PS4 eventually I destroyed that boss easily on Akumu. I'm guessing it was something to do with the PS3 version.

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

Fighting Kid Buu on DBZ Budokai 2. After a number of turns, he gets stronger and stronger.

Infinity_Divide

Infinity_Divide
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Psychobreak
Expert on The Evil Within

I can think of a few just recently:

One of the final battles in Yakuza Kiwami on Hard, where there’s multiple enemies shooting at you while at the tower, and there’s a long stretch with no checkpoint. I was trying not to use items and this part was infuriating. I had to take a few days off from playing the game.

One time I was speedrunning REmake on Real Survivor and was doing the best I had ever done. For some reason I still can’t figure out, I decided to run while carrying the fuel supply capsule, when I knew not to do that from my previous million playthroughs. I got a game over, and I hadn’t saved at all the entire playthrough. Haven’t tried again since then.

Going for the speedrun trophy in Mega Man 11 was pretty frustrating too. I kept trying to pull of some things I’ve seen in videos and I screwed almost all of them up. There were levels I had to retry probably 20 times.

The only time I ever broke a controller though was during chronicle of the sword in Soul Calibur 3. It was the last fight and I tried it for probably an entire Saturday straight. I eventually beat it but I never played the game again.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Fighting Kid Buu on DBZ Budokai 2
I recall him being quite nasty on B3 as well due to his huge amount of regenerating baseline ki.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> kiwami boss
That fight is stupid if you didn't do enough side-quests to get the Tiger Drop - which melts the boss (you can TD gunshots too). But they can even then just lock you down for the whole boss with grenades, hyper armor counters and button-input reads. I really feel that boss is the worst a boss can offer in terms of difficulty.

> final boss
God Rugal from CvS2 broke me as a kid.

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

>most frustrating gaming memory?
Booting up Super Metroid(and Kirby all star to a less extent) and realizing I lost my save file over and over again.

I also remember struggling a lot trying to dodge Anubis fireball in the Damaged Jehuty fight in ZOE 2, that was aeons ago though.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> save file lost
Dear god that opened a wound. I'll never forget my Pokemon Silver cartrige. I had all 251 Pokemon on it including nearly half of them at level 100 (me and a friend were hooked, badly, when we were young). I was always afraid I'd lose them, and one day I learned about the battery problem of those games and vouched to never boot them up.

Years later a friend was over, we were having drinks, it came up and we decided "screw it" let's boot up the game. Everything was gone, the save battery was sadly: dead. I legitamately had to hold back tears. I'll never see my Typhlosion again...

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Don't they recharge while on though?

5does

C-Rank
Veteran

They do, though I'd only find this out way later in life  thanks to the internet.

Wouldn't really want to do something like this though lol
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/weirdness_gamer_keeps_super_famicom_on_for_20_years_to_preserve_umihara_kawase_save_data

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

I think that guy has problems lol. There's no way ANY save file is that valuable.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> I think that guy has problems lol. There's no way ANY save file is that valuable.
You have no idea how valuable my Typhlosion was to me. No. Idea...

NOTE: that link is amazing, also cool that it got enough of a charge to survive a house move.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

How did his console survive that?

Though those old consoles didn't really heat up that much did they? Still, that's seriously impressive.

You have no idea how valuable my Typhlosion was to me. No. Idea...
You're right. I don't even know what a Typhlosion is lol.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Never underestimate good old quality craftsmanship. Though they tend to get issues, older technology was built to last when it comes down to it, especially compared to modern tech that breaks if you so much as sneeze at it.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

PS2 memory cards would be the same then right?

Might have to plug them in again. I've got 4 for different regions and games like CL that only allow a few save slots. Nothing I would care to lose though.

Might actually look for a few brand new ones to be safe.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

They work different. The battery used to power the saves used to be something developers would save space on quickly to make room for more datastorage for bigger games like Pokemon Silver's second world. Consoles with Memory cards don't have that issue, only if the memory is in the game itself (the cartrige).

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

I am now remembering the second shooting segment in Heavenly Sword. I kept failing due to being inaccurate using the motion controls. I actually rage quitted and I didn't play it for a while. Then I played it again and after losing enough times I looked into the settings. I saw the option of turning the motion controls off. I finally won after that.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Motion Controls are so weird, they can be excellent (red steel 2) or can absolutely ruin an experience haha!

Nadster

A-Rank
Veteran

Yeah. I never had any trouble with the Wii. I do wish games that has motion control has the option to turn it off.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright
A-Rank

Interesting topic. I'm like Birdman; so far nothing has been so rage-inducing that I wanted to break anything, but I did experience frustration. Off the top of my head (I won't count Kaizo experiences):

-KH1. Just last year, I think. This was the time when I wanted to actually do challenge runs, so I decided to give a low level run a try (Lv 1 runs aren't a thing in the PS2 version). The run was quite challenging as expected (not having Guard for most fights is annoying), but nothing I couldn't handle.

Fast-forward a bit, I'm now facing the game's super-bosses (except Sephiroth). They were tough, but I wanted to push myself even further, because I knew I'd need that experience if I wanted to enjoy Action games anyway, so I tried beating Kurt Zisa without getting hit at all. This was literally the first time in my life (again, not counting Kaizo experiences) when I got stuck at a boss or whatever else for more than 40+ tries. Not to mention the 1-minute load times... but I wanted to beat it. I got to the point where I could dodge his vertical spinning attack 7 times out of 10 (his most dangerous attack, very little room for error since KH1's dodge roll barely has any i-frames at all), but I messed up dodging one of those purple spheres that come out from the sand (by far the easiest attack to dodge in his entire arsenal, imo). But what hurt me the most wasn't the fact that I did such an amateur mistake in the first place, it was the fact that I just had him. One more Gravity spell, and GG Kurt Zisa. But nooooo, I just had to mess up that one attack. Of course.

Fortunately, I was able to complete the challenge. Beat him at Lv 41, no damage. So I guess it was worth it.

-Not sure if this counts, but I'm going to bring up a fangame. Mega Man Unlimited. Particularly, its Endurance Attack mode.

Well, this was the second time I've gotten stuck in anything for more than 40+ tries. You have to beat 70 stages in a row, and if you fail, you've got to do it all over again from the beginning. Every time I reached stage 59-60, I was already at the 50-minute mark. And I couldn't get past those stage for the longest time (and when I did, it was only an one stage improvement per run. Beat stage 60, fail, there goes a 50 minute run. A couple more fails, beat stage 61, fail, there goes another 50 minute run). Man, losing a 50-minute long run so many times is certainly discouraging, to put it lightly. Enemies in the later stages hit like a truck, some stages had spikes placed everywhere, so you had to have near-perfect precision in your jumps, or it was all over.

But since I'm very stubborn and refused to give up, I actually completed that as well. I think I succeeded on my 60th try. I dunno, I lost count from 40 onwards. I think the dev posted about the outcome on his twitter.

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

My DS3 and Bloodborne saves have been corrupted 3 times each. I've got a set of particularly standout ones.

Dark Souls 3
On Ariandel, progressing through the game as per usual. This is my first playthrough, mind you. Game freezes, restart PS4...

"Save data corrupted"

Bloodborne
Also running through the DLC, as it happens. On Fishing Hamlet, running through area, and when going back to the Hunter's Dream... I get hit by an infinite loading screen. Let it sit for around 5 minutes, and then it freezes. Turn off PS4, restart it, boot up the game again, now terrified...

"Save data corrupted"

No idea how I ended up powering through 4 more of those things.

This is just what comes immediately to me off the top of my head.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

If I was a conspiracy nut I’d say that is Playstation doing that on purpose to promote their shitty PSNPLUS cloud-save backup system...fuck man I'm so sorry.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

That sounds like an issue in FROM's games.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum