You are not connected. Please login or register

So I asked one of the members of Gunfire Games about their influences for Darksiders...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Here

It was actually quite interesting, and explains quite a lot about the design choices in the games. Things like why there wasn't a dodge offset in Darksiders 2: Because it wasn't looking at Bayonetta for inspiration, it was looking at Mario 64. Definitely gonna ask more if possible.

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Interesting.

But I can't understand why anyone would want, given the resources, to make DMC, let alone DMC-lite. Why can't they ever be more original?

The dodge limit thing is pretty ancient. I didn't know Mario 64 had it, but quite a few games have it. Oldest I know of are Berserk and The Nightmare Before Christmas on PS2.

TheFirmament1

TheFirmament1
A-Rank

Birdman wrote:Interesting.

But I can't understand why anyone would want, given the resources, to make DMC, let alone DMC-lite. Why can't they ever be more original?

The dodge limit thing is pretty ancient. I didn't know Mario 64 had it, but quite a few games have it. Oldest I know of are Berserk and The Nightmare Before Christmas on PS2.
Game design is really, really hard.

A developer once said that players are almost always right about what the problems in a game are, but are almost always wrong about solutions.

I think Vigil/Gunfire are perfectly aware of the fact that they're not very original when it comes to gameplay. But they tend to make up for it with other aspects, like their attack animations (ESPECIALLY for Darksiders 2), and art in general.

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

> But I can't understand why anyone would want, given the resources, to make DMC, let alone DMC-lite. Why can't they ever be more original?

Why do artists make fan-art instead of their own creations? Making and thinking of new things is a very different skill than making a spin on an existing trope.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor

That's fine, but they didn't even do that well. They copy way too obviously and don't add anything. I'm speaking strictly in gameplay terms.

I was pretty disappointed in DS3. Souls, really? At this point?

But they tend to make up for it with other aspects, like their attack animations (ESPECIALLY for Darksiders 2), and art in general.
I did like some of the character designs but I play an action game for gameplay. The other aspects aren't enough for me.

I think Vigil/Gunfire are perfectly aware of the fact that they're not very original when it comes to gameplay.
This is sad if true, because they should focus on improving existing gameplay aspects instead of copying so hard. If they know, they should work to change this.

Sounds harsh but it's for their own good. I like the concept of the 4 horsemen and when I saw Strife's design I thought he looked awesome but I have no hope that the next game will be any good. I bought all of their games (DS3 on launch and DS1 recently for future replays) so I'm not trying to be a dick here. I like aspects of their games, it's just super disappointing to hear their view on them and gives me no hope of better future games.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum