Working on the new site, main url might break from time to time for few days. Use http://stinger.actieforum.com/

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dante's Inferno

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dante's Inferno Empty Dante's Inferno on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Finally popped this game in again yesterday, never played it for more than 10 minutes originally. Pretty fun title so far, albeit a very clear page-by-page rip of God of War, especially in terms of mechanics. Still, very entertaining. Anyone else played it?

http://stinger.actieforum.com

2Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Nadster

B-Rank
Not really. I am interested in it though. How is the replay value?

3Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
It's a decent God of War rip-off so far (very clearly, nearly beat-by-beat). But it does get a lot of things wrong, the over emphasis on button mashing QTE's and 'blink and you die' QTE's really are a nuissance. Replay Value is same as God of War i.e. only if you like higher difficulties or challenge runs.

4Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Infinity_Divide

C-Rank
I remember playing this back when it came out and even things like the climbing animations were identical to GoW. Am I remembering that wrong?

5Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
A lot of it is very identical yeah, the double jump animation is really similar too. It's a shame since the game has some good ideas, but it never distinquishes itself outside of "Kratos in Italian mythos" done by the B-team. Even the story is somewhat similar (redemption arc against a pantheon), also in setup (starts in medias res with flashbacks).

Only thing that stands out is the Cross and it's ranged abilities, pretty novel weapon as far as action-games go imo.

6Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 am

hedfone

hedfone
C-Rank
Michael Cheng one of the designers on Dante was a level designer on GOW 2,3, and 2018. So simply calling it a rip off isn't quite accurate. Great game.

7Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
For real? Had no clue, I'm considering writing a piece on it down the road so that's interesting stuff. Surprised that he jumped back and forth between studios. Especially considering GoWIII and DI launched nearly back to back (one month difference in 2010). A freelance agent?

Have to say the whole timing of the game feels weird. God of War III had a huge hype-train behind it, to put out a game so similar one month before GoWIII feels weird looking back.

As noted, it has some fun mechanics, but I also feels it lacks some personality in terms of gameplay. It really looked too closely to God of War, using it as a template I feel. On the one hand, it is a good game, on the other I'd say it could've used a closer look at some of its mechanics that weren't that clear cut or well done in GoW i.e. its QTEs and at times the wonky platforming.

I don't mind clones, or whatever the term behind it. But I do mind it when it also copies the bad parts.

Note, these aren't an analysis by any means, just my 5 cents after playing the game for a few hours.

8Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 am

hedfone

hedfone
C-Rank
It does a lot of unique things that your average souls/batman clone wouldn't do these days. The split skill tree of ranged or melee was a great idea. Cross is op for sure, but God of War doesn't have much permanence in upgrades. I have been able to lvl up everything in the GOW trilogy by the end. Dante forces you to make the "good or bad" choices and stick to it or you won't get deep into either tree.
The equipable items were a great idea too. Things like increasing super armor during moves, was novel to say the least. Visually Dante rivals GOW and imo often surpasses it. I am much more into Christian mythology over Greek, so maybe I am biased. But if Michael Cheng brought anything it was some really interesting levels. The since of place and overall progression going between each layer of hell was fantastic.

How far are you into the game Roy and what difficulty? I remember Infernal being rough, I wish it was unlocked from the start. Sad we will never see a pc release.

9Dante's Inferno Empty Re: Dante's Inferno on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Beat the game on Infernal over the weekend. I like the title, but also have a lot of grievances over it. I think the Relic system is by far the most interesting part of the combat. Managed to find all of them eventually and honestly I really like how they play to different strengths. Some really fit my playstyle (grab emphasis) and others my boss tactics (more cross damage).

A few were too good I feel, like the Mana Regeneration practically snapping the game in half if you dared to go Holy. But overall, this really was the best part for me.

Combat wise I liked the foes and some of the mechanics, really daring it had a ranged main attack weapon as an option. Enemies start out fun, but I was a bit disappointed (in general) how the game falters after Greed. Each layer until then had unique concepts, enemies, ideas going on. But after Greed you really feel like the designers felt "fuck me, we only have a few days left and still 6 more layers of hell to design" and just rushed it. No real unique enemies outside of "regular demon but now with wings or on fire". And the enviroments are a lot less detailed as well. Also feel the game could've used some juxtapositioning in its design. It is creepy at first, but after a few hours you almost don't hear the screaming or see the pleading people anymore since it is just the same over and over again. Think it could've used some balance in that regard. Other than that I agree, fantastic world design.

In regards to combat though, fun enemies albeit a bit one note. Not a lot of styling options and efficiency begins and dies with "launch into grab infinite". That's still fantastic, but what I miss is application. In God of War you could play smartly with your grabs, smack foes into another, ring them out etc. Here no such thing. Also not a fan of the constant mashing for Absolution.

Overall a fun diversion, but also rang hollow with me in some aspects. I did take notes, so I might do a Stinger piece on it more in depth.

Also: fuck the final boss on Infernal difficulty. That guy nearly broke me, because he took so long to kill. 8 minutes where-in a single mistake kills you is way too much for a non-challenge run. Might attempt a NUR and just quit at him because that's just not possible I feel. Especially since he can teleport off screen into one of three random attacks that you cannot predict. If you dodge and he does the shockwave, you die. Such infernal (ha) design.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]