Working on the new site, main url might break from time to time for few days. Use http://stinger.actieforum.com/

You are not connected. Please login or register

If/when the servers go down...

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1If/when the servers go down... Empty If/when the servers go down... on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:30 am

Birdman

...and you lose your data or console, what will change for the games you own? What horrors will they revert to? I believe The Witcher 3 will be in for a bad time.

Games with day 1 patches required to run will be screwed, but others are lesser things.

Note this isn't some paranoia topic, just something I was thinking about while jamming on the PS2 yesterday on 15 year old games that, aside from being physically damaged/destroyed, are never going to change.

2If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:06 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
It is a scary prospect. While games tend to get re-released more and more these days with Complete Editions or Next-Gen Remasters, some titles really will get stuck. I pity the fool who in the future will hunt down a PS4 to play an unpatched Bloodborne. It is a nightmare.

I'm more scared of games just downright vanishing, as well as content. I can still put Smash Melee in the system and enjoy a full game nearly 20 years later. Meanwhile if I'm going to want to play Smash Ultimate in 10 years, you can be darned sure I'll be missing half of the game's content.

http://stinger.actieforum.com

3If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am

Birdman

Yeah.

I hope Lollipop Chainsaw is fine because it's one of fav games of all time and will be another I keep replaying for the next 10 years. I dont recall any patches so it might be ok. Only loss will be the dlc costumes but those dont effect gameplay.

MHW will get it pretty bad. Event quests will be gone meaning tons of weapons and armor will become permanently unavailable.

4If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Vanquish will lose its DLC guns forever as well. Ninja Gaiden 2 will eventually lose half its content (mission mode and costumes), while Devil May Cry V will lack its best Breaker for Nero.

5If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Birdman

Good examples. Let's focus on the games we like and see what we'll be able to safely replay for years.

Knack 2 - I dont recall any patch for this. It just installed and that was it. Only loss would be the leaderboards and online co-op that nobody plays anyway.

6If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Nioh will be absolutely nuked into the ground by the way. All DLC was never released on disc, so that's bad news. You'd be stuck with an extremely buggy, unbalanced piece of gaming that doesn't have the Tonfa weapon or its glorious three DLC regions.

7If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 am

Birdman

Nights of Azure only has one preorder only monster that was was never released otherwise so no loss there.

The sequel has some costumes and I think 2 dlc chapters but they don't add anything gameplay mechanics related so we're left with a pretty much full base game.

I believe Nier A had some serious issues but I can't remember what. Losing the dlc would suck hard. I think the arena is dlc. Not sure about debug mode.

RE7 Gold Edition would only lose Not a Hero because the others are on disc.

8If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:22 pm

TheFirmament1

D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Nioh will be absolutely nuked into the ground by the way. All DLC was never released on disc, so that's bad news. You'd be stuck with an extremely buggy, unbalanced piece of gaming that doesn't have the Tonfa weapon or its glorious three DLC regions.
Wow. Was Nioh really that bad before patches? If so, I'd like to know more.

9If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:05 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Nioh wasn't 'bad' pre-patches, but it just got a lot of content later-on through digital updates. The gameplay nerfs aside (which were really bad), the game got its 1.06 patch that added the endgame missions that were the true challenge in the game like "Way of the Gourd". Later three DLC packs and subsequent patches added two new weapons, three new countries with about 10 missions each, a slew of new armour sets, lobbies, pvp, new difficulty modes, new bosses, enemies and much more. If you'd just play base Nioh instead of the complete edition, you're really missing out.

Which is exactly what will happen in the future unless they get the PC version (which is still digital only).

10If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 am

Birdman

Sounds like it's as bad as MHW. I've been thinking about this lately. I've done nearly everything on offer and have spent 500+ hours now, which includes multiplayer, helping others out and team ups.

All events, which includes a huge amount of equipment, all the arch tempered monsters.

The base game will revert to a pretty bad state, losing the QoL changes. I guess this is what has already happened to all previous MH games.

11If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:40 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
I think the older MH games are still active, or have fanservers, but I'm not sure about that.

12If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 pm

RedShot

C-Rank
MH Tri High Rank is no longer available for this reason. There's MH 3 Ultimate on Wii U, but it's a different game.
Currently I'm playing MH Freedom Unite on a PSP emulator and you have access to coop and all DLCs.

13If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Birdman

Is that through modification? How did they keep the DLCs?

14If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:18 am

RedShot

C-Rank
I think you can also transfer your PSP save file to the emulator and use it. I'm playing the base game without any additional contents and there's a lot to do. Main advantages over console are: stable frame rate and higher resolution, way better camera controls, faster loading times and you can speed up emulation for gathering (during combat it's not just useless but also harmful).
If you want to play online you have to follow a guide, it's a bit tedious I'd say. I like to play solo but maybe I'll give it a try.

15If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am

Birdman

That's interesting.

There is still stuff in vanilla MHW, but there's just so much more that isn't. The rotating event schedule is based on the company's server so there wouldn't be any way to fight arch tempered monsters ever again.

16If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 pm

Gregorinho

D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Nioh will be absolutely nuked into the ground by the way. All DLC was never released on disc, so that's bad news. You'd be stuck with an extremely buggy, unbalanced piece of gaming that doesn't have the Tonfa weapon or its glorious three DLC regions.

Not practicle for most people, but you can buy a version of Nioh that includes the 3 DLCs on the disc. This one:

https://www.play-asia.com/nioh-complete-edition-multi-language/13/70bnih

It does say "out of stock/out of print" so I guess ebay or something similar would be the best bet for it now. I imported one myself a while ago for about double what I could buy the standard edition for here in the UK, but for the sake of preservation I was happy to pay extra. The Asia release is fully localised in to English. I think the only difference is that Circle is your confirm button in the menus, like in Japanese games.

17If/when the servers go down... Empty Re: If/when the servers go down... on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 am

Birdman

Good info. I actually forgot about that version.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum