You are not connected. Please login or register

Any interest in the new Spiderman?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:39 am

Birdman

Could be decent I guess. Might give it a rental.

View user profile

2 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm waiting for a pricedrop. It's a game that looks to have a lot of fun elements, but is also swarming with propaganda and politics from what I've heard. I don't mind either view, but I dislike it when it is in games most of the time. Combat looks interesting. Heard SBK might pick it up.

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

3 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 am

Birdman

Watched a few boss fight and they seem seriously on rails with non stop cinematics.

View user profile

4 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am

The general combat seems good with tons of options, ring outs and mobility. That said, it is still trapped in a AAA slugfest of 'emotions', politics and other unskippable drivvel. I'll get the GotY edition with all the DLC at a discount in a year or so.

5 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am

Birdman

True, the regular fights look far better. I only watched a few that seemed to boil down to waiting until the boss had finished a rampage, then attack during an opening. If all the gadgets and moves work it could be quite good, but I've mostly seen players just do a regular combo probably in which you just hammer the square button.

Having watched a few more fights, the Rhino boss looks decent. You fight him in one of those shipping container yards and you can cause things like containers to drop, or make a crane hook swing into him. Really reminded me of the Mr.Freeze fights. Hopefully they rest aren't like Arkham where you have to deal with them a certain way.

In regular combat I've seen a few cool things but really can't say for sure until I rent it. It looks like it would be really fun to play by never touching the ground.

View user profile

6 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

I'll probably get this when the price hits $20 or so. It's been awhile since I've played a good Spidey game. Shame about the political stuff, but as long as the game is fun it's kind of whatever to me. Did you all see the coordinated articles about this game? The ones talking about how the police are out of date or some shit? Good lord when will these terrible sites die.

Also, this is the funniest thing I've seen all week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngORPZj4wwY

View user profile

7 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 am

Birdman

Yeah that the police were friendly allies when they should be gunning down black people lol.

Then there's the Ciri debacle.

Or how in the latest Tomb Raider, white Lara is running around Peru 'helping' all the brown people. They're going to hate this game further in, where you are actually gunning down these people. At least Lara doesn't look like man...yet.

People are getting sick of this shit though. It's just an extremely vocal minority of useless people, with no lives nor purpose. They are trash and they know it, but they've finally found this pathetic cause to give meaning to their worthless lives.

View user profile

8 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 am

Unaware of the politics spoken of, nor do I care. But I’d quite like to get this when there’s a price drop and to see what the DLC/patches will offer(NG+ is confirmed, if not already released). The combat and traversal look quality and the different suit powers offer a lot of variety/utility(many are pretty OP). As for the bosses, it’s got some one of a kind encounters for the series. If you don’t mind spoilers: There’s the fight with Rhino that was mentioned, it’s actually Rhino and Scorpion at once; Vulture and Shocker are also fought together in a sick aerial battle. They’ve all been fought before of course, but never in pairs which really adds a new dynamic. It’s also the 1st time Mister Negative is a villain in a spidey game(or at least given primary antagonist status).

In the mean time I’m going to play a few other good Spidey games, those being Spider-Man: Web of Shadows: Great spidey combat, super dynamic and unique; also great web slinging and bosses.

Shattered Dimensions: Fully linear for a change with 4 different spider mans with distinct artstyles/gameplay, each stage features a boss encountered throughout the stage.

As well as Edge of Time: Sorta sequel to Shattered Dimensions but just with Amazing and 2099 spideys playable, don’t know much else but looks solid.

Might replay Ultimate Spider-Man(PS2)if I can find my copy.

View user profile

9 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:03 am

Birdman

Anyone end up playing this?
I saw some of SBK's stuff but I have no idea what he's doing.

View user profile

10 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 am

Not yet, I might buy it used next year though, most Action fans seem to really enjoy it. SBK was pretty into it himself as noted.

11 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Birdman

From SBK.

Some good ideas and core gameplay hampered by modern trends (open world crap, walkie talkie garbage, patching in things that should have been present at release *Very Hard and NG+*). Open world collectathon is somewhat helped by how mobile/proficient Spidey is at traversing the environment. The combat is certainly better than Bamham (not a glorified QTE), though the stealth is a little worse. Very much feels like a 1st party PS2 exclusive (enjoyable core gameplay but not trying to be super serious like hack and slash proper with balance, moveset depth, difficulty) if that makes sense. Get the feeling Insomniac just threw ideas at the wall to see what stuck.

Many grabs (grab normal, web/shocked contextual grab, air grab, OH, 'Snatch', yanking enemy weapons away from them, tossing parts of the environment at enemies, returning rockets, Instant Takedown from Bamham, etc). Most interesting addition is the web anchoring system, slamming a fully webbed enemy (takes 3 normal web shots on Hard and below to fully web, 6 on Very Hard *called Ultimate which I haven't played*, other gadgets that apply webbing always do so in one use) into the ground or knocking/throwing them into a wall is instant death. Same goes for webbing an enemy that's been knocked over or is near a wall. Plenty of ringouts too.

Gadgets are well done all and all, biggest issue is having to pull up a time pausing weapon wheel whenever you want to switch between them (that includes between them and regular webbing). By end game they're pretty OP (Impact Webbing and Trip Mines are basically instant death, Suspension Matrix can shutdown crowds, Web Bomb has some potent setups) to where it can feel you're just selecting the option from the gadget wheel to auto kill crap. Restored by performing finishers and web anchors. The shock status is kind of meh. Game could have really used core moveset swaps a la weapon switching or something.

Lots of suit powers. Clear winners are the web AoE (can end fights outright) and the suit version of drone summon (just blasts the crap out of everything). There are many useful suit powers (Quad Damage, Ock tentacles, AoE knockback+launch, taunts, etc) just none on par with those two (for mooks). RPG levels just give you more health, meters, slight melee damage buffs and skill points. You unfortunately have to do open world busywork to get suits, accessories and create/upgrade gadgets, but there's nothing like nu GoW's stat cancer present.

Has some bite to it while you're still learning the ropes even on Normal but by the time you're upgraded it's pretty trivial. Lot of enemy encounters are very similar owed to beat 'em up style mooks, but there is a little variety (shield guys, gun wielders, melee weapon users, heavies, jet packs). Mostly a problem of open world copypasta (throwing the same encounters at you over and over). Bosses suffer from Bamham syndrome (combat system is designed against crowds) but being closer to Action proper are better than Bamham's. Still, they're meant to be more cinematic than challenging or technical. Their gimmicks are alright. Bosses have 'real' HP, vulnerable to stuff like the AoE shockwave (used against Shocker), Quad Damage, etc affects them. Most can also be hit with an Instant Takedown (generally does the same damage as a melee string to them).

For what little it's worth the story is good for vidya and Peter's quipping is well done.

It's a nice enough game with some interesting ideas hampered by modern trends (can tell Insomniac's heart wasn't into the open world busywork but focused on the combat *in a style they aren't very familiar with*, traversal, set pieces and story). Would wait for an edition that has Very Hard and NG+ on disc.

View user profile

12 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:22 am

Birdman

View user profile

13 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:18 am

View user profile

14 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 am

Birdman

Nice. Been planning to watch these. Didn't know there was DLC already.

View user profile

15 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:44 am

DLC each month ending December, it’s 3 continuous chapters.

View user profile

16 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:38 am

Birdman

Well, after hearing SBK's opinion and watching those videos, this has gone from a rental to never touch. I barely like a thing I hear.

And what is with all these heroe's suits becoming more and more advanced to the point that they're actually becoming closer to Iron Man? It seems like this is the destiny of any hero that doesn't have huge super powers (if they have any at all).

View user profile

17 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am

Birdman

Rented it overnight. Not liking it one bit.

Swinging around is decent, but the combat sucks. I guess it works, but I hate it.

View user profile

18 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Thats a shame you dont like it, but you might prefer Web of Shadows, the combat and swinging are much more dynamic and id argue its the best spidey game overall:

I'd also like to note its certainly a stylish western action game, just wanted to reference that topic.

View user profile

19 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Birdman

I don't even know what 'stylish' means anymore.

So you can do combos?

I'll admit, it looks a billion times better than the new one, but doesn't look like something I'd like either.

View user profile

20 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:41 am

>Stylish=Looks fancy/flamboyant. Doesn’t need to go beyond aesthetics for me, looking ‘cool’ whether it’s functional or otherwise is enough to sate that criteria. For little it matters, don’t mean to bring this up but I thought Web of Shadows bears mentioning in that regard.

>Combo
Yes, but that depends on what ‘combo’ means also.

Anyhow, I’ll have to say I like how the combat is in both, but I prefer how open WoS is. Don’t care to go into further detail.

What expectations do you have for a Spidey game? Have you considered any other entries?
There’s only so many(unless your not so concerned to begin with). If you want something more linear then I’d suggest Shattered Dimensions or Edge of Time.

View user profile

21 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:24 am

Birdman

Regarding the new one, it all feels too automatic. Too much slomo and canned follow ups.

I've played Edge of Time and hated it.

I don't really care for the character, I just wanted a good action game.

View user profile

22 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:28 am

Then I’d suggest Shattered Dimensions or WoS. I said this on comment 8:

Shattered Dimensions:Fully linear for a change with 4 different spider mans with distinct artstyles/gameplay, each stage features a boss encountered multiple times throughout.

Ultimate Spider-Man also, that’s open world with ok combat.

I’ve not got much left to offer in this topic for now. You know what you like, so you do you.

View user profile

23 Re: Any interest in the new Spiderman? on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 am

Birdman

Yeah I think I'll avoid Spiderman games.

I'm liking Darksiders 2 though.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum