Raeng will be on holiday for two weeks, behave guys. See you soon!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Golden Sun Series

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Golden Sun Series on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 am

Recently started replaying this series again which was always close to my heart being the first real JRPG I got really into as a kid (12 years old~). I remember barely beating the game not exploring at all, and thinking I was hot shit. Beat it a few more times when I was older, including the sequel (which allows you to transfer data). It really is still to this day one of the more interesting RPG's in terms of how the combat works.

It is all about a rotating system of stats. Basically you have your basic attack, Psynergy (spells) etc. But there are Djinn to collect (little monsters), up to 7 of each element. Using a Djinn in battle has a unique effect that differs per Djinn (each is unique). Once used they are 'set' and can be used as fuel for summoning.
The downside is that they also give passive buffs when NOT used, allowing you acces to higher stats, spells and even other classes.

Give protagonist Isaac, who's an Earth user, full Fire Djinn as a setup he'll become a Berserker Class, which has very powerful Psynergies, high attack stat and tons of HP. The differences can be monsterous. A level 40 Felix will have around 1000 HP and 710 attack as a Chaos Lord class, but give him 0 Djinn and he barely has 350 HP and 300 attack. So using Djinn to fuel summons is great for massive damage is fine, but you sacrifice damage output and defences greatly afterwards.

The Djinn system is all in really cool, always gives the feeling of "hm, what if I do this" when toying around with it. The biggest downside is that the game is too easy, meaning even if you barely use the system and just spam Djinn and Summons you'll most likely win (outside maybe one or two rare and hidden boss fights).

But all in all, great series. Adorable sprites too and godlike music. I'll never tire of the theme of Saturos. Anyone here ever played the games?

Here's an example of the combat (just googled a random boss vid, nothing special):

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

2 Re: Golden Sun Series on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:58 am

Birdman

Played the first one many years ago. I was impressed with how good it looked and really liked the way the camera swings behind whoever is attacking.

I remember the Djinn but not too much about how they worked. Looking back, I dont think I understood the mechanics at all.

View user profile

3 Re: Golden Sun Series on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am

Yeah same here, as a kid I had no idea. Especially about the classes which I just found 'annoying'. Now it was the funnest part almost. They are very well worth revisiting imo.

4 Re: Golden Sun Series on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm

Birdman

I remember those summons but not how they worked. I once called up this guy who was flying and shot this DBZ blast into the ground and Im pretty sure it blew away the whole country lol.

View user profile

5 Re: Golden Sun Series on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Haha yeah that was Judgment! Awesome summon:

Talking indepth details on the game with SBK atm, pretty sweet number crunching.

6 Re: Golden Sun Series on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:25 pm

It's great you brought this game up! I always wanted to play this since it was developed by the original Shining Force team (part II was my favorite Genesis/MD RPG), but I never got the chance to try it. Didn't get a Game Boy Advance until the SP released, and I was more into PC games at the time.

This game looks very good for a handheld title, and the art style retains and expands on the classic Shining Force aesthetics. You can really tell it's Camelot's work! I do recall my old schoolmates saying the series is easy in general, and the DS game was really disappointing compared to the prequels. Quite a shame too considering the good track-record the dev team had.

Will have to add this game to my never-ending backlog.

View user profile

7 Re: Golden Sun Series on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am

The games are a joy to play, very fun graphical style and a great combat system. The biggest flaw is as you noted the difficulty. Foes are dumb, spamming attacks and abilities at random; some are even worse that always do the same chain of attacks in a row meaning you can predict what comes if you have decent know-how. It has great combat though. In a nutshell you have these creatures that give massive passive buffs to you, with all of them buffing you you can easily have 800 HP instead of 300 for instance. You can then use these little critters called Djinn to activate special abilities that are very powerful like attacks, shields, buffs and more. But doing this sets them to 'standby', which no longer has them buff you but instead be usable as fuel for powerful summon attacks.

Summons are pretty unique in that they deal a specific number + % of the enemies HP in damage. Meaning they are great against bosses. But they are also dangerous since using them leaves your characters unbuffed and vulnerable. A very cool mechanic imo! The Lost Age (the sequel) has a Hard Mode that makes the mechanics shine more imo.

The DS game had a lot of faults, mostly being that it had a lot of points-of-no-return, which is bad form in an RPG.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum