You are not connected. Please login or register

Crimson Tears

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Crimson Tears Empty Crimson Tears Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

Another obscure action title. Anyone know of this game?

Trailer

Also, here's a fantastic in-depth guide by NoMoneyRanger. He has put some serious effort into this game.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/914837-crimson-tears/faqs/75988

2Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:06 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas

Gabriel Phelan Lucas
S-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran

I might have heard of this, but could we have some raw gameplay please? Anything semi competent will suffice.

3Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Couldn't find any.

4Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:24 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

The game received "mixed" reviews according to video game review aggregator Metacritic.[1] While critics praised the game's cel-shaded graphics and anime cutscenes, they criticized the game's repetitive nature

Ah "repetitive nature", my old nemesis. I never got that critique, just means they mashed the same combo over and over and over. Really curious how it controls. I remember watching footage just like this of Death by Degrees and eventually disliking the game for its controls. Game looks great to play! Couldn't find a copy in the EU sadly... 

I'm browsing through the guide and it is extremely impressive. A lot of love and effort went into the game by this guy, even has a complete list and backstory of all the characters with artwork. He pulled no punches. The whole stat and gear system I'm seeing is turning me off a bit, but I am still intrigued. Going on the list for future reference.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:04 pm

NoMoneyRanger

D-Rank
Veteran

Finally, I get the chance to say some words here! Any who, many thanks to Birdman for creating this topic for me. I did not know such a cool forum existed until he mentioned it  Very Happy

I remember buying this game on launch and being really disappointed after completing it. The game had horrible cameras, cheesy enemies and hazard design, monotonous stages, and it felt low budget overall.

Flash forward to over ten years later, I dug out my old PS2 collection and gave this game another shot, only to find this game isn't half bad.

Gabriel Phelan Lucas wrote:I might have heard of this, but could we have some raw gameplay please? Anything semi competent will suffice.

You might have back then, but it got lost in the sea while others were playing the big-named action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, etc.

TheGamerDarius started a Let's Play of the game on his Youtube page. He explains the game and its mechanics quite well at the beginning, but he dropped the game around the fifth stage...

Also, YouTuber Kamon The Skunk did a complete run of the game utilizing all three characters. He managed to complete the game, but did a more simple or blind run.

Royta/Raeng wrote:
The game received "mixed" reviews according to video game review aggregator Metacritic.[1] While critics praised the game's cel-shaded graphics and anime cutscenes, they criticized the game's repetitive nature

Ah "repetitive nature", my old nemesis. I never got that critique, just means they mashed the same combo over and over and over. Really curious how it controls. I remember watching footage just like this of Death by Degrees and eventually disliking the game for its controls. Game looks great to play! Couldn't find a copy in the EU sadly...

I'm browsing through the guide and it is extremely impressive. A lot of love and effort went into the game by this guy, even has a complete list and backstory of all the characters with artwork. He pulled no punches. The whole stat and gear system I'm seeing is turning me off a bit, but I am still intrigued. Going on the list for future reference.

While the combat can be fun or challenging, the reviewers mainly knock the game's repetitiveness through the stage design, which is fair. Due to the game's random room-generator (quite similar to recycling backgrounds in cartoons LOL), you'll be seeing the same rooms over-and-over until you reach the stage's boss. The game wasn't designed with the biggest budget in mind, and you can see it as you play through the game more.

Given the situation, the game's combat system and challenge may take the repetitive feel away. While this isn't a horror game of any sort, it does test the player's skill and endurance in order to survive. Believe me, you will get your ass handed in this game if you rely on the same strategies.

I'm also happy to hear you find the guide impressive. I tried my best to make it look as if you're reading it from an old 1990s gaming magazine, or from a complete strategy guide. Also, despite having its issues, I feel the game deserves a more updated guide.

As I get older, I'm losing more interest in big-budget movies or game titles, and find myself treading more of the "B-list" or cult-classic territory. I consider Crimson Tears to be that type of title, and I personally enjoy it more than DMC, kinda like how I enjoy the Toxic Avenger to the Marvel Cinematic Universe when it comes to superhero movies  tongue

The weapon system is indeed annoying since you lose your weapon permanently when it breaks. However, you'll get used to it as you learn how to cycle through your equipment during fights.

6Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

Hello NoMoneyRanger! Great to see you tune in! As I've noted before, your guide really impressed me! Sets a certain standard as I'd say. Pretty interesting to hear the game randomly generates rooms. So each playthrough is technically different? Do enemy layouts change too?

As I get older, I'm losing more interest in big-budget movies or game titles, and find myself treading more of the "B-list" or cult-classic territory. I consider Crimson Tears to be that type of title, and I personally enjoy it more than DMC, kinda like how I enjoy the Toxic Avenger to the Marvel Cinematic Universe when it comes to superhero movies  tongue

I - and most of the people here - are having the exact same feeling these days. Older games especially just had this charm to them, mostly because they were made by people that loved the hobby they were making products for. These days it really all seems to be about the money and constantly emptying pockets of players just enough that they can afford the next moneysink. I remember reading that a really good game is bad business, as you'll never need another one (something like Ninja Gaiden Black). Since technically it is perfect and you can play it for decades to come.

I tried my best to make it look as if you're reading it from an old 1990s gaming magazine

It is funny you mention this as this is exactly the feeling I got from it, and of older websites like Gamespy. It took me back to an old Golden Sun guide (great game) on Planet Nintendo that started with portraits and sprites of the game with descriptions, lore, and then controls using the actual button icons. Such a great time. I miss the well written guides. These days its all Youtube videos with "yo it's your boy roy here to bring you another yo yo yo extravaganza thanks for the 10 bit cheer *snort* aight I'mma show you just how *burp* you can get an S-rank on this stage but first man want to say thanks to all my subscribers, my mom, my cousins and Bill Gates. Aight let me boot up the game, thanks all and first what about Trump huh" and it just keeps on going. No end to it.

NOTE: feel free to jump into other talks at your leisure, there is nothing bad with bumping an old post you find interesting :) Welcome!

https://stinger.actieforum.com

7Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:05 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Great to see you here NoMoneyRanger.

8Crimson Tears Empty Re: Crimson Tears Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:49 pm

NoMoneyRanger

D-Rank
Veteran

Royta/Raeng wrote:Hello NoMoneyRanger! Great to see you tune in! As I've noted before, your guide really impressed me! Sets a certain standard as I'd say. Pretty interesting to hear the game randomly generates rooms. So each playthrough is technically different? Do enemy layouts change too?

That's good to hear! For the most part, yes, the playthrough will be different in some ways. Upon entering/exiting a stage, enemy layouts will change for sure as some rooms will generate few enemies, while some will lock you in and force you to fight a mob gallery.

The stages' overall floor plans are the same, but the rooms generated will differ of course. So your starting position, along with the Key card and Exit Warp locations, will change up each time you exit or complete a stage.

Royta/Raeng wrote:I - and most of the people here - are having the exact same feeling these days. Older games especially just had this charm to them, mostly because they were made by people that loved the hobby they were making products for. These days it really all seems to be about the money and constantly emptying pockets of players just enough that they can afford the next moneysink. I remember reading that a really good game is bad business, as you'll never need another one (something like Ninja Gaiden Black). Since technically it is perfect and you can play it for decades to come.

Can't argue with that. I do find myself going back older entries like Final Fantasy VI and the Street Fighter Alpha 2/3, when there are current entries on the market like FFXV and SFV. I still buy some new games often to support the industry and the companies that I feel deserve it.

Lastly, money does indeed talk when it comes to business. Kinda sad since there are so much classic IPs or unused concepts that the devs can go back to. However, the risk is much bigger these days if the game fails which is understandable.

Royta/Raeng wrote:It is funny you mention this as this is exactly the feeling I got from it, and of older websites like Gamespy. It took me back to an old Golden Sun guide (great game) on Planet Nintendo that started with portraits and sprites of the game with descriptions, lore, and then controls using the actual button icons. Such a great time. I miss the well written guides. These days its all Youtube videos with "yo it's your boy roy here to bring you another yo yo yo extravaganza thanks for the 10 bit cheer *snort* aight I'mma show you just how *burp* you can get an S-rank on this stage but first man want to say thanks to all my subscribers, my mom, my cousins and Bill Gates. Aight let me boot up the game, thanks all and first what about Trump huh" and it just keeps on going. No end to it.

NOTE: feel free to jump into other talks at your leisure, there is nothing bad with bumping an old post you find interesting :) Welcome!

Yeah, the faux-swag or obnoxious narrative turns me off when it comes to YouTube guides. I actually enjoy the ones who are more real and don't come off as a "celeb" and start to spout the subscription nonsense right after. This is one reason why I chose to write this guide over doing a Let's Play series on YouTube, hehe.

Lastly, I'll do my best to start some posting whenever I get the chance. Thanks again for the welcoming party!

Birdman wrote:Great to see you here NoMoneyRanger.

Likewise. Thanks for the welcoming, and keep up the good work on your guides!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum