Raeng will be on holiday for two weeks, behave guys. See you soon!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vampyr

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Vampyr on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:22 am

Birdman

Not a fan of this guy but the video serves to give you an idea on the game. Can't say I'm interested but I;ll give it a rental if they have it.

These guys seem to think it's similar to The Witcher 3. I'm not saying anything until I play it for myself though.

View user profile

2 Re: Vampyr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am

Birdman

Positive review that explains a lot, but I'm struggling to find anything that focuses on combat in depth.

View user profile

3 Re: Vampyr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:25 am

It's from the makers of Remember Me right? I've not heard too many good things about its actual gameplay though. Didn't even know it HAD combat. Let me know how the combat is once you rent it (I wish we had renting...). Dodge animation looks slick.

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

4 Re: Vampyr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 am

Birdman

Yeah same devs. Heard about this game way back and was looking forward to it. The social mechanics sounds fun but yeah combat looks quite average. There are guns and skill trees so there might be some cool stuff to do.

Just call the only rental place in this area and they don't have it. It's annoying because the more I think about it the more interested I get. Gonna have to buy it. Lowest I've seen new is $79.

Combat so far looks like scoring a few hits then dashing away. Looks very smooth and cancelable. Kinda reminds me of Killer Is Dead in that regard. As long as the combat feels good, having only a few weapons and attacks is not an issue to me.

One thing that worries me is that it's like GoW in that you can come across higher level enemies that will one shot you. It will depend on how the combat is. I've heard tales of fighting vampire hunters and other vampires with similar abilities.

I love the setting. That's one of the main draws for me.

View user profile

5 Re: Vampyr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am

One thing that worries me is that it's like GoW in that you can come across higher level enemies that will one shot you. It will depend on how the combat is. I've heard tales of fighting vampire hunters and other vampires with similar abilities.
Doesn't have to be a bad thing, as long as they don't change because of it. NuGoW for some reason thought it was smart to have enemies become immune to 90% of your combat options when they outlevel you. I don't mind being outleveled like in the Witcher3 or Dark Souls, sure it is hard, but not impossible or gimped.

6 Re: Vampyr on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 am

Birdman

Some good explanation here on general stuff.

View user profile

7 Re: Vampyr on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 am

Birdman

Got it.

You will soon have reliable combat info. No one on the internet seems capable of describing it as anything other than 'not it's strongest point'. Same as what they say about The Witcher 3.

Edit: Had a few fights.

Pretty simple. You have a stamina meter which depletes when attacking or dodging. You'll keep attacking until it runs out kinda like Souls. Dodging feels more like The Witcher 3.

The first weapon I got was a small machete and a revolver. Haven't fired it yet though as ammo is limited.

You can stun enemies which sets them up for a grab where you bite and drain some of their blood. This goes to your blood meter which powers your vampire moves. No cooldowns.

You have single and two handed weapons. You have a sub weapon but I think equipping two handed ones means you cant use the sub.

One of my sub weapons is a stake that doesn't do much damage, but causes stun though not all the time. I think you have to do a certain amount of stun damage because in weapon stats I see 'stun points'.

I got a scythe which has the ability to parry. This causes stun for bite follow ups. Uses half my meter though.

All weapons can be upgraded and it seems with each level you have the choice of two upgrades, like stun or damage for example.

Vampire moves use blood meter. So far I have a healing one that the game forces me to learn and Blood Spear with is long range and quite strong.

It's not bad combat. Simple? Sure.

The social thing is interesting. You meet people and talk to them through dialogue wheels like TW3. This is gonna sound weird but they each have 'blood quality' and this chart showing how much you know about them. Some are related to other people like in social circles. They give sidequests and the more you know, the more their blood quality goes up. The higher that is, the more exp you get when you decide to feast on them.

You don't have to kill them, but you are free to do so. Doing so will have real effects later. You could murder them to get a quick boost, or befriend them and essentially 'fatten' them up for later feasting.

There are no difficulty levels. The game tells you this and explains that difficulty is dependent on your choices. I assume this means the possible negative effects of killing someone, or if you decided to be a nice guy and not kill anyone, you'd be getting less exp.

Cut-scenes are skippable. Guess they learned from Remember Me lol.

View user profile

8 Re: Vampyr on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:41 am

Birdman

Some more notes.

You can run into higher level enemies, but I've found they aren't impossible. They don't ignore stun like GoW and all that (at least not from what I've seen). They just hit super hard.

The stun mechanic is like GoW. Once stunned you'll be able to grab and bite. This doesn't do much damage but gives you blood.

If you see rats you can eat them for blood too. They don't give much but I'll take it.

My revolver seems to be a stun heavy weapon. Upgrades can boost this or attack, so it looks like you can build a weapon one way or the other.

There are these creatures called Skals which appear to be savage, low level vampires, and vampire hunters in the streets. You can lure them into each other and have them fight it out.

The social mechanics are more complicated than I thought. Talking to others could open options with others you've already spoken to. This could lead to sidequests or who knows what else? Some dialogue options are gone forever when choosing the other.

There is materials and crafting though seems basic. Find the parts required to upgrade and that's it.

Everything seems very alive. Some citizens have illnesses that you can actually make meds for but I dont know how to do it yet. I heard that ones with serious illness will actually die if you leave them too long.

You find hideouts, which are abandoned buildings where you can craft and sleep. This is the only time you can upgrade the character. Seems that sleeping causes change in the community but I'm not 100% sure on how.

I do know that each district has a level of how shitty it is that can change (I guess like World Tendency in a way?) but I've yet to influence anything and I haven't revisited previous districts. Doesn't seem to have a fast travel option yet (if at all).

Overall I'm quite enjoying it. Love the creepy atmosphere.

View user profile

9 Re: Vampyr on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 am

Birdman

So this was never touched again.

View user profile

10 Re: Vampyr on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:42 am

Game is actually getting a Switch release if you can believe it, caught me by surprise too. Still, not enough time to actually cover this game as well. It looks interesting but nawh.

11 Re: Vampyr on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:34 am

Birdman

What I might do next time I play is murder everyone for the gigantic exp gains. I was trying to help everyone but progress was super slow.

Ran into a group of ghouls and it was near impossible to survive. Damage output was garbage and stamina too low. Don't really want to play a stamina game either.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum