You are not connected. Please login or register

Nights of Azure

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nights of Azure  Empty Nights of Azure Sun May 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Passionate players that posted more than 1000 times!
Veteran
Was one of the original users
The Bird
Master of Chaos Legion, Okami and Lollipop Chainsaw
Survivor
Lived through the infamous "Mentally Challenged" Souls topic

I see the first one around quite often and have been meaning to look into it. I did so today and it doesn't look like the usual I'd play, but what got me remotely interested is how you can take monsters into battle.

The character design is awful and the voices are gross (at least in Japanese) but I might grab the first game if I can find it cheap.

Choose this review because it talked more about gameplay that others I watched.

Almost forgot, there's a sequel but I haven't looked into it yet.

2Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:35 am

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I know this is a stupid thing to say, but there's just something about that type of artstyle and camera that doesn't jibe with me and makes this an instant skip for me. That said, doesn't mean the game is bad, but some artstyles pull me in and others don't.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

3Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Actually, I agree with that. As I said, remotely interested. I like games that let you summon or control something (like CL, Folklore, Ni no Kuni 2, Overlord), so I'm interested in that aspect only. The rest looks awful.

I found it pretty cheap sealed but haven't touched it yet. There's a possibility I might just open it and give it a try depending on how I feel. I'm scared it will be good though, and once that happens I'll be stuck investigating the monster mechanics for who knows how long.

4Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Royta/Raeng

Royta/Raeng
Admin
Veteran
Survivor
The Stinger that Stung
Through fire and flame
Ninja Gaiden II expert

I can agree with the summon stuff, I do kind of like that style of play. I loved how it worked in FFX for instance. Fun mechanics that are more and more rare these days.

https://stinger.actieforum.com

5Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:08 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Started playing.
It's funny how this low budget looking game already has more summon options than V.

There doesn't seem to be any way to remove them from the field, but they have behavior settings and a few other useful things you can do.

You spend a little SP to summon creatures called Servans. You can have 4 Servans in your loadout and all of them can be summoned to the field at once. Seems more about resource management and team composition. Too early to say for sure.

Once summoned, you have some commands to work with.
Commands are Rampage, Teamwork, Drink Blood, and Follow, set to the d-pad. Here's what the tutorial has to say. CL comparisons abound!

Rampage
Entrust your Servans to carry out their own actions. Servans act on their own free will.

So basically the same as CL when you don't press anything. Attack type Servans have far more attacks though. My starting one, this little dragon with a sword, has 7 attacks right off the bat, one being a 'summon attack' which is something Legions can do.

Teamwork
The basic command. When using Target Lock, they will aim at the locked enemy and attack.

Similar to CL's lock-on which focuses all Legion attacks on one target. I haven't used this much, but what I've found in Azure is that they won't attack the locked enemy even when set to Teamwork. You have to press the d-pad on the Teamwork option to cause them to attack the locked enemy.

Drink blood
You can restore Servans' HP by having them drink the Blue Blood that splatters on the ground.

Haven't really paid attention to this but it's from killing enemies.

Follow
Call Servans to Arnice. They will follow without attacking. Use this when you want to avoid battle with an enemy.

So this is pretty much CL's Passive Mode. What's cool is the Servans will teleport to Arnice's side so it's great for getting them out of being surrounded, and because Arnice and Servans move at the same speed, you can just sprint around with them. You can't do that in CL since you're limited to walking while legions are out. This isn't better or worse then since different mechanics and all, but this feature in Azure almost completely makes up for not being able to unsummon.

Actually, this command is identical to the follow command in OZ where if you hold down circle, your pals will keep following you. The lock-on one is the same too.

Ok, on to some other mechanics.

Servan Burst
This is their special skill, unique to each one.

Assists
When certain conditions are met, the Servan may assist in some way.

Arnice's attacks
As for Arnice, the player character, gameplay seems pretty basic so far. Attacks are the basic weak, strong and special system, so pressing strong after any amount or weak inputs results in a different attack. The most interesting one she has is weak>strong. She does the first slash, then dashes backward while doing a horizontal slash. The energy effect on the sword goes beyond the length of the sword's tip and can hit enemies even though you're moving away. Very safe as it also functions as a dodge.

Which brings me to dodging, and surprising, dodge offset. Yep, you can carry on your string after dodging. So in the above case, you could slash, dodge, then hit strong attack and get that backdash attack. Sort of like a double dodge.

There's blocking but I'm not sure of the limitations. The tutorial says it 'may' lessen damage.

Servan's can level up and even equip accessories. You can level them up, and they gain more exp. They still gain some exp while not summoned (20% according to the game) which sounds very similar to CL in that Legions gain more exp when they deal the final blow.

Apparently, you can change some abilities they're born with later using an item, and when they level up you get to choose from a few. Sounds like there could be some decent depth to creating loadouts here but I'll have to wait until the game lets me do it. Still in the tutorial phase.

Overall, I'm liking it quite a bit.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:06 am; edited 2 times in total

6Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Got past most of the tutorial. It introduced a devil trigger form and the character levels up by exchanging blue blood collected in battles.

When Servans level up you get to choose between two boosts. For example, the wood golem had the option to get HP back when doing damage, or something about resurrecting unconscious allies faster. I've only leveled up once so far so I don't know if it cycles through different options.

When you find the required items, you can create new Servans, and as I understand it, you can have more of the same one in your team. Really seems like a lot of variation is possible.

There's also an arena where you take on battles with various requirements and ranks. The higher your rank, the better the rewards. There are usually 3 to 4 tiers of rank, designated by stars, and there are tons of titles you receive upon beating them with points values attached. Some you can tell what you did to get a title because the title is obvious, but a lot of them I have no idea.

Between stages, you can hang around this hotel which acts as a base. Here you can buy stuff and get side quests.

7Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

More mechanics are opening up. Damn there's a lot of them.

With the DT, your form can change depending on the type of Servans you have equipped. Each one is worth a certain type of points, based on their type I think. So the fire demon form I have now is when you don't have the points to form anything else or something. I had a look online and there are 4 others, one being a rabbit form that lets you move super fast.

The character (for story reasons) only fights at night when demons come out, but there is a day time segment, though it it's not a day/night cycle. It's hard to explain and I don't fully understand it yet.

You can set various 'daytime activities' but they aren't something you actually see happen. They generate money and skill points, which you use to buy abilities. It reminds me more of something like that old Digimon game where you leave them doing something and they build stats.

Each daytime activity generates a certain stat, and you can set more than one activity. So you just look at the skill list and see the requirement stats then set your activities to build those stats.

I got a new weapon. Well, it's actually a transformation of the sword. You switch with the d-pad, but can't switch while you're performing other actions other then running, and it will stop you to perform the switch animation.

Seems you can have more than one deck of 4 Servans and switch them, but not sure how it works yet as I don't have enough to form more than one deck.

The Drink Blood command is how you collect blood. It gives the Servans some SP and is the currency for leveling up Arnice. You have to go to this dream world from the hotel and deposit it in some altar. Kind of annoying because you have to watch the scene though that might only be because the game is still in the tutorial.

It also kind of sucks that I have to select the command to absorb the blood which makes the Servans stop and do a little animation.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total

8Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Found a treasure trove of fantastic info on Gamefaqs created by whimsic_al. Super helpful and even responded to PMs clarifying some stuff I didn't understand.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/158374-nights-of-azure/73537719

It may not make much sense unless you've played it, but for anyone who decides to pick this up in the future will understand the value of this info.

9Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Started playing the second game out of curiosity and I find it worse than the original in almost every way.

You can only equip 2 servans now and the upgrades have no depth so far.

Instead of more servans you can have other characters in your party but again, no depth.

The fan service is off the the charts. All the characters have huge boobs and skimpy clothing. In the hotel there's a pool now where you can get extra scenes and they wear swimsuits. Not that I have an issue with this, but seems more of the focus in this game.

Movement has some improvement but not all aspects. Dodging is better but no dodge offset. You can jump now, though is hasn't added a whole lot.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

10Nights of Azure  Empty Re: Nights of Azure Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am

Birdman

SSS-Rank
The Stinger that Stung
Veteran
The Bird
Survivor

Sold Azure 2 recently to make money for a Switch and Astral Chain. Sold quite a few games recently.

Absolutely awful game. So inferior to the original it doesn't even make sense. Really hope I can get back to Azure 1 soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum