You are not connected. Please login or register

Strategy games (like Civilization)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Strategy games (like Civilization) on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:30 pm

AKheon

D-Rank
I try to play a lot of different types of games to broaden by perspective, but strategy games always seem to be the one genre that I don't feel confident handling. I feel a deep appreciation for the complexity of some of these games, but I don't necessarily perform all that well in them. One of the last games of this sort that I played was C&C RA3 - enjoyed the presentation, but lost patience during the campaign and never finished it. >_>

I read an LP of Civilization 2 by Melth recently, and I'd definitely recommend it since it goes so in-depth into the various rules and inconsistencies of the game. Some of the design in Civilization 2 is truly odd, starting from the fact that the computer blatantly cheats all the time. The game also has a huge amount of (secret) RNG, which isn't such a great thing in a strategy game. If you're interested, you can read it here: https://lparchive.org/Civilization-2/

You guys play any RTS or 4X games, or...?

View user profile

2 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 am

No, I only play games where you directly control a character and their actions. Strategy stuffs cool and I appreciate their existence but it couldn't be any less for me. That said my cousin had an RTS game that we used to dick around in spawning hundreds of elephants against a castle of romans or something. No clue what it was called we had a few of them.

View user profile

3 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 am

Birdman

I try to play a lot of different types of games to broaden by perspective

I don't play the types you've mentioned, but I can identify with this part. Recently I got into twin stick shooters, something I was never interested in or had touched before. After playing Nex Machina I was hooked. Got Housemarques others like Matterfall, Resogun and just last week Dead Nation. Need to get Alienation next. So much replay value in the form of modes and high scores.

View user profile

4 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:55 am

I'm a big fan of the older Command and Conquer games (up until Red Alert 2), which I still pop in from time to time, and Diablo 1 (before it became too cartoony and weird). I never played Civ though, not alone anyway.

Have you ever heard of Knights and Merchants? It is a pretty old game, but still amongst the best in the genre I feel just because of the level of complexity paired with ease of use, and the mechanics at play. Basically you build a city and then an army, and you kill the enemy player. But the build is pretty detailed. To make the cheapest soldier you need a Recruit and an Axe (his weapon). To get a recruit you need to train one, which requires a School. You need to pay to train him, which in the School requires one Gold. To get Gold, you need a Gold Mine and a Smelter to smelt the gold. To make his axe you need a Woodcutter that cuts down trees. These trees then need to go to a shop that turns them into wooden planks, which need to be taken to a shop that turns them into an axe.

This is the easiest unit to make. Some, like Knights in full plate on a horse, are a logistical (k)nightmare to make haha, but have more HP and damage output as a result. Should be noted that you can only control your army, other units do their job automatically, so you don't have to micromanage it all.

The biggest draw of the game, to me, is starvation. Everyone needs to eat in this game, so the more units (army, but also workers, bakers, woodcutters etc) you have, the more food you need to produce. To make Wine is pretty easy, just needs a grapevine field, but it barely feeds them. To make bread, you need a hay-field, which then goes to a mill to make flower, which has to go to a baker to make bread.

The brilliant aspect of this whole chain-resource mechanic is that some 'items' have multiple uses. Hay can be used to make bread in the long run, but also to feed horses to make Knights, or to feed pigs which can be then slaughtered to make sausages and leather (from their skin), which in turn can be used to make Leather Armor.

A legit tactic in the game is to starve your opponent by using quick horses to attack from the rear, and kill of their food supply using guirilla warfare. Or attack some other form of their supplychain to cripple them. Really amongst one of my favorite games.

It's hard to do the game justice, but just browse this video:

View user profile http://stinger.actieforum.com

5 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:34 am

AKheon

D-Rank
Hadn't heard of that game before.

View user profile

6 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Nerds...

View user profile

7 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:41 pm

@AKheon wrote:Hadn't heard of that game before.

It was pretty 'underground' but somehow got a huge release and fan reception in the Netherlands. Even being runner up for Game of the Year in a few magazines. Really a stealth hit.

If you like what you read, the game is on Steam and also GoG I believe. Any PC can run it easily.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253900/Knights_and_Merchants/

8 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:29 pm

I am Gabriel and I love you guys. Here's a picture of Mai.

Super nerds now.....
(Don't boot me please)

[tiddies]

{seriously though Gabe, behave - Royta }

View user profile

9 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:31 pm

I won't boot you, I will however abuse my Admin powers.

10 Re: Strategy games (like Civilization) on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:38 am

Well played Roy, well played...

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum